JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 1st February 2013, 02:47 PM   #121
marksman
Reality Checker

Most fantasy worlds suck to live in. I think I'll take Eden.
marksman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:32 PM   #122
thomowen20
New Blood

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Well, that's actually the thing. Almost no universe sucks that bad if you're one of the privileged few. I mean, even in imperial Rome, life wasn't bad at all if you were born in the senator class, but it kinda sucked if you were a slave. Or even in the late middle ages, it didn't suck too badly to be a noble, but it kinda sucked if you were a peasant, especially when a Black Death outbreak hit. Heck, even in Somalia it's probably not so bad if you're a warlord.

Even in the most shiny happy universes, let's say Star Trek again, sure, it doesn't suck too much if you're a bridge officer on the Enterprise, but it sucks plenty if you're a red-shirt fresh out of the Academy. Or if you're on one of the many many ships lost to make every conflict more dramatic. E.g., it would suck plenty to be almost anywhere except on the Defiant at the Second Battle of Chin'toka, when the Breen used that energy drain. Or it would suck plenty to be one of the Bajorans during the Cardassian occupation. Or to be a Cardassian too, by the end of the Dominion war. Or a colonist just about anywhere, the way they're always attacked by everything or hit by some cataclism or plague. Or to be a Vidiian, with that plague going on. Or to be, well, just about anyone in the Delta Quadrant, with a few notable exceptions, for that matter. Etc.

So, yeah, if you can put conditions boiling down to 'except those who have it bad', any universe is great. The problem is that most people don't have such a choice.
^^^This!
thomowen20 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:15 PM   #123
Gazpacho
Master Poster

I'd like to live in the Scientology time track. It might be traumatic but it would never be boring.
Old 9th February 2013, 05:32 PM   #124
ParrotPirate
Graduate Poster

More S/F and a little dystopian, but Gibsons cyberpunk future might be fun.
ParrotPirate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 08:34 PM   #125
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by NetPen View Post
Well, right now I can only think of fantasy universes that I do NOT want to live in, such as Star Wars Episode I & II and Promethus, especially Promethus.

Hell, I'd rather be a redshirt fighting in any other fantasy universe than be a main character in that movie!
One thing worse than being a character in Prometheus:

Being in the audience.
Old 9th February 2013, 09:53 PM   #126
Jimbo07
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post

Even in the most shiny happy universes, let's say Star Trek again, sure, it doesn't suck too much if you're a bridge officer on the Enterprise, but it sucks plenty if you're a red-shirt fresh out of the Academy... if you can put conditions boiling down to 'except those who have it bad', any universe is great. The problem is that most people don't have such a choice.
I've always thought that an absolutely fantastic piece of fiction (or fan fiction, for the right author), would be an exploration of ST:TNG's seamy underside. There are tantalizing hints that there could be more at work than seen (ex. the failed colony where Yar was born, the Klingon penal colony in ST:VI, etc.). What if those sort of planets were more common than we're typically led to believe? What if the paradise of the Star Trek world was real, but built on the backs of hidden workers in miserable conditions on industrial worlds (like 40k Forge worlds)? What if it's worse, and the Federation council is hiding this from its citizens, so that some really believe it's a paradise? Etc.

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key

Last edited by Jimbo07; 9th February 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 08:32 AM   #127
Ape of Good Hope
Muse

I quite fancy life as an itinerant juggler traveling the vastness of Majipoor.

Or for sustained insanity, how about Toontown in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"?
Ape of Good Hope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 12:30 PM   #128
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Didn't the inhabitants find it very boring in the end?
No, that was "We" (which Orwell was convinced BNW must have been inspired by, although Huxley denied it.) In BNW, only a very few aberrant (overly curious) alphas were bored (and thus sent to Siberia-type place to do otherwise forbidden scientific research.) Everyone else was apparently quite happy, at least after toddlerhood.

My favorite would probably be the post-scarcity, post-mortality world of Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom (free Cory Doctorow book!):

http://craphound.com/down/?page_id=1625

Or the universe ruled by Prime Intellect here (another free eBook, but X rated for extreme violence)

http://localroger.com/prime-intellect/mopiidx.html
Old 10th February 2013, 06:43 PM   #129
nota
Thinker

niven's known universe has some problems in the last books

it is exploding
the hindmost is sterilizing any world that mite be a threat
and the pak are coming
nota is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 08:10 PM   #130
John Albert
Illuminator

Omelas, so long as I don't have to be the kid in the closet.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 09:27 AM   #131
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Give me my own TARDIS and I will happily inhabit the Whoniverse. Yeah, it's a crapsack world in a lot of ways (although Futurama, my second choice, is worse); but it would never be dull. And it has some good points (I'd be spending more than a little time in the late 51st century). Not to mention being able to be a first-hand witness to history and far future progress and change.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 09:31 AM   #132
Monketey Ghost
Body of Work

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
What fantasy universe would you want to live in?

Westros?

Middle Earth (1st or 2nd/3rd age)?

Whatever the LLoyd Alexander place is called?

Narnia?
Bout time I posted in this thread:

I was a huge fan of the LOTR novels, and often thought how interesting it would be to live in the Middle-Earth that the books depicted. Always fantasizing, of course, invincibility so I could enjoy it instead of being maimed and dying.

SSKCAS, member in long standing

"Others, however, will call me the world's sexiest killing machine, who's fun at parties."
Monketey Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts