IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2012, 06:16 PM   #401
StankApe
Banned

making unsupported claims against a dead man is pretty low on the totem pole of "anti skepticism" (somewhere above Holocaust deniers and Truthers, but somewhere below AGW deniers and Bigfooters)
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 06:18 PM   #402
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by justintime View Post
There are plans to build the next generation of rockets that will push us past our own galaxy. NASA does not have that capability yet. Sort of if they won`t come to us we just have to go to them.
Can we see those plans for the trans-galactic rocket?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 07:00 PM   #403
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Can we see those plans for the trans-galactic rocket?
Yes I'd like to see them too, particularly as the Galactic escape velocity at the Solar System's radial position is about 1000 km/s, and the fastest we have ever accelerated a rocket to is 16.26 km/s (New Horizons mission to Pluto launched January 2006). By my math, that makes it over 60 times too slow.

justintime's "next generation of rockets" will have to be light-years (literally) ahead of what we have now. Even a spacecraft travelling at 90% of C will take something like 40,000 years just to reach the edge

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 07:14 PM   #404
Noztradamus
Illuminator

I think looking at the dates Roswell 1947 and around 1951 Carl Sagan at 17 talking about flying saucers and aliens makes me feel he made that connection. He developed an early obsession and tried to fulfill it by searching for them for the rest of his life.
~~~
Something seemed wonky with this speculation to me, because I was under the impression that 'The Roswell Incident' did not become known outside Roswell until the late 50s/early 60s.

I was wrong. It was the late 70s, when Stanton Friedman dug up Jesse Marcell in 1978.

So Sagan and the Green Bank Conference(SETI) had no connexion to Roswell.
Old 4th December 2012, 07:18 PM   #405
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
There are plans to build the next generation of rockets that will push us past our own galaxy. NASA does not have that capability yet. Sort of if they won`t come to us we just have to go to them.
I feel sorry for you, that you think this is something you could get away with saying. You have gone from pathetic to bathetic--you have three, and only three, reasonable options:
1. Provide a reliable source for these magical intergalactic rockets. Book, chapter, verse, or it didn't happen.
2. Throw yourself on the mercy of the forum, and admit that your braggadocio and hubris led your ego to write a check reality can't cash. Admit it was a fabrication out of thin air, or remarkable carelessness, and hope that the forum is in a forgiving mood.
3. Try to pretend we did not understand what you meant. Blame your claim on our lack of comprehension. Pretend we just don't get it. Try to lie your way out of it, and change the subject...and live with the fact that you have exposed your true colors for all to see.

Ooops--there is one more option. You could just go away.

I'm curious to see upon which one you will settle.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 07:24 PM   #406
Kid Eager
Philosopher

How many laughing dogs are there in a light year?
Old 4th December 2012, 07:37 PM   #407
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
Depends on how they lie.

Last edited by The Man; 4th December 2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added quote
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 07:39 PM   #408
justintime
Banned

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Something seemed wonky with this speculation to me, because I was under the impression that 'The Roswell Incident' did not become known outside Roswell until the late 50s/early 60s.

I was wrong. It was the late 70s, when Stanton Friedman dug up Jesse Marcell in 1978.

So Sagan and the Green Bank Conference(SETI) had no connexion to Roswell.
Which simple proves his early obsession with flying saucers and aliens were even less founded because Roswell was what gave an impetus to UFOs. Maybe he got his impressions from early Mayan readings about UFOs and aliens which makes him even less credible than his public records.
justintime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 07:48 PM   #409
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Which simple proves his early obsession with flying saucers and aliens were even less founded because Roswell was what gave an impetus to UFOs. Maybe he got his impressions from early Mayan readings about UFOs and aliens which makes him even less credible than his public records.
Okay, come clean. This is some kind of class assignment right? See what kind of outrageous illogical, non-sensical drivel you can post until everyone figures out that there's no way you could be serious? After all, there's no way anyone could possibly be as obtuse as your postings make you out to be. Not a bad attempt, but really, did you think anyone was going to take you seriously, ragging on Sagan with such ludicrous accusations. You should have made it at least plausible.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 07:49 PM   #410
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Ever hear of, I dunno, War of the Worlds? The original radio broadcast? In 1938? Orson Welles? From the H.G. Wells novel?

Impetus to UFOs?

WTF are you talking about?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:01 PM   #411
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
X10999999999
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:03 PM   #412
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
X10999999999
You forgot to divide by 7 for dog years.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:04 PM   #413
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Okay, come clean. This is some kind of class assignment right? See what kind of outrageous illogical, non-sensical drivel you can post until everyone figures out that there's no way you could be serious? After all, there's no way anyone could possibly be as obtuse as your postings make you out to be. Not a bad attempt, but really, did you think anyone was going to take you seriously, ragging on Sagan with such ludicrous accusations. You should have made it at least plausible.

Yep. Everyone has figured out by now that this is just gratuitous trolling. All that's left is batting his silly comments around like a cat toy. Oh, and I think there's a betting pool going for how long it goes before the ban.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:10 PM   #414
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe he got his impressions from early Mayan readings about UFOs and aliens which makes him even less credible than his public records.

So you are ignorant about the Mayans too. What's next?

Last edited by AdMan; 4th December 2012 at 08:12 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:17 PM   #415
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
You forgot to divide by 7 for dog years.
Crap!
yes, we both know that a light-year is a distance, not a time
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:23 PM   #416
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Ever hear of, I dunno, War of the Worlds? The original radio broadcast? In 1938? Orson Welles? From the H.G. Wells novel?

Impetus to UFOs?

WTF are you talking about?
"1938?" What about 1898? Naturally though H.G. Wells believed or must have had some 'obsession' with UFO's and invading aliens, vengeful submariners, invisible men, changing animals to be almost human, time travel, and a world war dominated by air power, since he evidently wrote fictional stories about them.

Last edited by The Man; 4th December 2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:24 PM   #417
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Maybe he got his impressions from early Mayan readings about UFOs and aliens which makes him even less credible than his public records.

Maybe he was an alien. Maybe that's Jesus on your toast. Maybe cats and dogs should get married. Maybe I'm petting a unicorn and you are under a bridge, demanding people pay a toll.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:33 PM   #418
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Where's your source for those magical intergalactic rockets, Rocket-Boy? Changing the subject will not make the gaffe go away...
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:15 PM   #419
justintime
Banned

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Where's your source for those magical intergalactic rockets, Rocket-Boy? Changing the subject will not make the gaffe go away...
Future Space Travel
http://science.howstuffworks.com/solar-sail4.htm
justintime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:19 PM   #420
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Carl Sagan was challenged about the two way communication even if it was possible would take hundreds of years to get the messages across. The entire project was a scam.
1. First the ETI had to be contacted.
2. We would never know if they responded to our signal because it would take way longer than a lifetime.
3. It would take another lifetime for the ETI to receive out reply.
You cannot get more irrational that this.

When I earlier said that, among other things, you did not understand the meaning of 'hypocrisy', and that 'fiction' was also a thing you did not understand, I should have added 'irrational' because you don't know what that means either. Oh, and 'scam'.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:28 PM   #421
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

A speculative article on possible future means of propulsion for spacecraft. Did you even understand it?

How long do you think it will take such a craft to reach another galaxy, justintime, as you believe the "next generation" of rockets will?
Old 4th December 2012, 09:29 PM   #422
justintime
Banned

I feel sorry for you, that you think this is something you could get away with saying. You have gone from pathetic to bathetic--you have three, and only three, reasonable options:
1. Provide a reliable source for these magical intergalactic rockets. Book, chapter, verse, or it didn't happen.
2. Throw yourself on the mercy of the forum, and admit that your braggadocio and hubris led your ego to write a check reality can't cash. Admit it was a fabrication out of thin air, or remarkable carelessness, and hope that the forum is in a forgiving mood.
3. Try to pretend we did not understand what you meant. Blame your claim on our lack of comprehension. Pretend we just don't get it. Try to lie your way out of it, and change the subject...and live with the fact that you have exposed your true colors for all to see.

Ooops--there is one more option. You could just go away.

I'm curious to see upon which one you will settle.
If you can read properly. It says NASA does not have that capability yet. Duh!
Quote:
Old 4th December 2012, 09:31 PM   #423
justintime
Banned

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
A speculative article on possible future means of propulsion for spacecraft. Did you even understand it?

How long do you think it will take such a craft to reach another galaxy, justintime, as you believe the "next generation" of rockets will?
I said there are plans to make the next generation rockets. But NASA does not have that capability yet. How much simpler can I get.

Quote:
Old 4th December 2012, 09:33 PM   #424
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

If you can read properly. It says NASA does not have that capability yet. Duh!

Do you now admit that this part is ignorant nonsense?

There are plans to build the next generation of rockets that will push us past our own galaxy.

Last edited by AdMan; 4th December 2012 at 09:34 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:38 PM   #425
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

The Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy is only some 70,000 light years from us. So as long as this next generation can travel at a large percentage of the speed of light, it's only an incredibly long trip. Of course, the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy is kind of rinky dink, so if you want to go to a cool galaxy like M31 you'll have to hang in there for almost three million years. Better bring something to read.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:45 PM   #426
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

<snip>

As per usual, your cite does not support your claims.

You said:
And compounded the silliness with:
You forget. The long range rockets combined with launching pad based on distant planets will enable us to get beyond our Milky Way.
The link you provided,
...is a speculative, sensationalist article about "solar sails". Not "rockets". Certainly not "intergalactic rockets" with "launching pad (sic) based on distant planets".

Did you even read the article? The "solar sail" concept has been around a long time. At its most effective, a solar-sail-powered craft might reach up to "5 times the speed of a conventional rocket"(notice that "solar sail craft are not"rockets")...and that only within a solar system. In interstellar space, the solar sail would not develop any significant power. I know maths can be confusing, but that means a solar-sail-powered craft would still only reach about 1/12 of galactic escape velocity.

So, do you have the plans for the intergalactic rockets you claimed, or was this just another...((what's a polite word?) "exaggeration" of reality, with no basis in fact?

Last edited by LashL; 5th December 2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect user name
Old 4th December 2012, 09:45 PM   #427
justintime
Banned

Do you now admit that this part is ignorant nonsense?
Have to scale back the intergalactic travel to interstellar travel.

NASA's 100-Year Starship Project Sets Sights on Interstellar Travel
http://www.space.com/11200-nasa-100-...ar-travel.html
Old 4th December 2012, 09:46 PM   #428
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I hear Mitch McConnell has plans to build his own Death Star. He just doesn't have that capability yet.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:48 PM   #429
justintime
Banned

Rocket-Boy:

As per usual, your cite does not support your claims.

You said:

And compounded the silliness with:

The link you provided,

...is a speculative, sensationalist article about "solar sails". Not "rockets". Certainly not "intergalactic rockets" with "launching pad (sic) based on distant planets".

Did you even read the article? The "solar sail" concept has been around a long time. At its most effective, a solar-sail-powered craft might reach up to "5 times the speed of a conventional rocket (notice that "solar sail craft are not"rockets")...and that only within a solar system. In interstellar space, the solar sail would not develop any significant power. I know maths can be confusing, but that means a solar-sail-powered craft would still only reach about 1/12 of galactic escape velocity.

So, do you have the plans for the intergalactic rockets you claimed, or was this just another...((what's a polite word?) "exaggeration" of reality, with no basis in fact?
I am a bit ahead of NASA. Hey what can I say.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:50 PM   #430
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

No, you simply don't know what you are talking about. And the fact that you think you can criticize Carl Sagan, who definitely did know what he was talking about, is laughable.

You have no credibility.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:56 PM   #431
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

You can say, "I got caught in a lie--there are no plans for 'intergalactic rockets', I just hoped that no one on a forum full of space-happy science fiction fans would know that".

Instead of pretending that you are "ahead of NASA".

...not that you need to admit the obvious, Rocket-Boy.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:01 PM   #432
StankApe
Banned

ahead of NASA eh?

design me a spacecraft capable of traveling to Venus and back (with applicable flight path trajectories and burn times)

I'll give you a few days (and no high detail blueprints required, just a rough sketch with applicable notes)

should be a piece of cake for an engineering genius such as yourself eh?

ETA: 3 man crew, no lander, just an orbiter is required thanx!
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 10:03 PM   #433
justintime
Banned

You can say, "I got caught in a lie--there are no plans for 'intergalactic rockets', I just hoped that no one on a forum full of space-happy science fiction fans would know that".

Instead of pretending that you are "ahead of NASA".

...not that you need to admit the obvious, Rocket-Boy.
With all the Carl Sagan material I have been researching. I might have caught his bug. I should be consider a cosmic visionary. Intergalactic travel. If they won't come to us, we will go to them. My new slogan.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:12 PM   #434
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

With all the Carl Sagan material I have been researching. I might have caught his bug. I should be consider a cosmic visionary. Intergalactic travel. If they won't come to us, we will go to them. My new slogan.
So this is your new tack? Caper, and jape, and play the jackanape, hoping to be winsome enough to distract from your fundamental dishonesty?

How's that working out for you?
Old 4th December 2012, 10:13 PM   #435
R.A.F.
Banned

What a load of crap....does it make you feel "important" to lie about someone who can't "fight back" because they are dead?

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Last edited by R.A.F.; 4th December 2012 at 10:14 PM.
R.A.F. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 10:15 PM   #436
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Two questions, justintime, which you may understandably prefer not to answer: a) how old are you; and b) is English your first language (I'm guessing not)?
Old 4th December 2012, 10:25 PM   #437
justintime
Banned

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
The Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy is only some 70,000 light years from us. So as long as this next generation can travel at a large percentage of the speed of light, it's only an incredibly long trip. Of course, the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy is kind of rinky dink, so if you want to go to a cool galaxy like M31 you'll have to hang in there for almost three million years. Better bring something to read.
No one said it was going to be easy.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:26 PM   #438
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

It is well documented his obsession with flying sauces and aliens in his biographies. But it does not mention where he got his information from. I am guessing it was from Roswell or Mayan literature. What is there to be ashamed of. I am sure he wants us to continue talking about his legacy....ETI, aliens and flying saucers.

You have shown you are ignorant on these subjects. Perhaps you should move on.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:28 PM   #439
justintime
Banned

No, you simply don't know what you are talking about. And the fact that you think you can criticize Carl Sagan, who definitely did know what he was talking about, is laughable.

You have no credibility.
I don't know how you can even make a comparison. Carl Sagan was talking about radio signal contact. I am talking about intergalactic travel. We are visions apart.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:28 PM   #440
R.A.F.
Banned

It is well documented his obsession with flying sauces and aliens in his biographies.
If you are trying to say that Sagan believed in alien flying saucers visiting Earth right now, then I have no "difficulity" calling you a bald faced LIAR.

Do yourself a "favor" and stop being stupid.
R.A.F. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal