IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2012, 08:14 AM   #241
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
That definition of UFOs was taken from the Oxford dictionary.

No, it did not change his beliefs. He was just as determined to find them.

I think UFO was used in the early sighting because their were unidentifiable. But the public figured there had to be more to that because of the closed secrecy behind the Roswell UFO incident. Some of the eyewitness broke their silence and identified it as a alien spacecraft. The conspiracy is more about the coverup and not doubts about it being an alien spacecraft.
And the uncritical, unsophisticated, unsupported, credulous belief that "there really was a UFO" at Roswell, and that "the conspiracy is more about the coverup and not doubts about it being an alien spacecraft" is precisely the kind of thing Demon-Haunted World (which you really ought to read) was written to debunk.

Please explain how your claim that there has been a "conspiracy" and/or a"coverup" about "it being an alien spacecraft" demonstrate anything about Dr. Sagan's beliefs, or opinions...preferably without spin-doctoring and quote mining.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:15 AM   #242
Neutiquam Erro
mennil-toss flykune

Not true. I do not have a life long obsession with UFOs, aliens or even ETI. I am not even a Ghost buster. I just try to see the treatable person behind the Skeptic and his or her Skepticism.
I try not to confuse entertainment with serious discourses.

Try harder.
Neutiquam Erro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:16 AM   #243
GeeMack
Banned

That definition of UFOs was taken from the Oxford dictionary.

No, it did not change his beliefs. He was just as determined to find them.

I think UFO was used in the early sighting because their were unidentifiable. But the public figured there had to be more to that because of the closed secrecy behind the Roswell UFO incident. Some of the eyewitness broke their silence and identified it as a alien spacecraft. The conspiracy is more about the coverup and not doubts about it being an alien spacecraft.

A UFO is an unidentified flying object, something with appears to be flying, appears to be an object, and which is not or has not been identified as a particular thing. If something has been identified as an alien craft, it is no longer unidentified. Once more: If we know what something is, it isn't a UFO.

And if you have objective evidence to support a claim that alien craft exist, take it to one of the appropriate threads which already exist for that discussion.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:17 AM   #244
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Not true. I do not have a life long obsession with UFOs, aliens or even ETI. I am not even a Ghost buster. I just try to see the treatable person behind the Skeptic and his or her Skepticism.
Then why do you try to use Contact as evidence that Dr. Sagan was, as you have put it, a "snake-oil salesman"?

And where have you demonstrated your qualifications to identify anyone (much less your friend you are outing) as "treatable"? And where have you demonstrated your training in "treating" anyone so diagnosed?
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:19 AM   #245
CriticalSock
Master Poster

I would have pointed to Greece if the Skeptic was from there. Sorry if you are offended. I was a Joe Cocker fan Mad Dogs and Englishmen album. He was ahead of his time. I wonder if he would have retitled the album to Mad Cows and Englishmen. I digress.

British Budget Adheres to Austerity While It Cuts the Top Tax Rate
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/bu...plan.html?_r=0
No offence taken. What do you think of my green cow example of how scepticism works in the "field"?
CriticalSock is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:21 AM   #246
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I just try to see the treatable person behind the Skeptic and his or her Skepticism.
Credentials?

(Of course on the anonymous interwebs one can claim pretty much anything)
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:22 AM   #247
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
It is beginning to look as if it is you, not Sagan, who believes we have been visited by alien spacecraft.
Leave Justin aloonee!

For the first time he had drawn back the curtain on what he thought, rather than what he thought other people thought. Gentle handling was called for

Now he's back in his shell.
Old 4th December 2012, 08:23 AM   #248
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

It is even rare to debate Big Bang and Dark matter unless you know you are conversing with another credible person in that field of study.
It's not our fault you have boring conversations.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:24 AM   #249
booNyzarC
Scholar

To the claim I haven't encountered any Skeptics outside of Skeptic forums. There are more important things that affect you directly in the real world. Your job, customers, patients, transactions, interactions, trust and social encounters. You don't have Skeptics out there demanding citations or criticizing your beliefs. It is a live and let live attitude out there. All the nit pickers are cesspooling on Skeptic forums.

*snipped for the sake of brevity*

I get the impression that you are well intentioned. You seem to be arguing for something you have strong convictions for, and I respect that.

Unfortunately, you've painted a picture of skeptics with a rather broad brush and as a result you've sacrificed accuracy in favor of generalizations. Yes there are participants on skeptical forums who match with your descriptions, if not always, at least some of the time. That in itself does not mean that all skeptics match these descriptions and I contend that the vast majority do not.

As well intentioned as your crusade may be, it is unlikely to bear fruit because the misdirected war you've waged is on the wrong enemy. To truly have an impact of the sort you're hoping for will require far more diligence and specificity than you're currently employing. You'll need to target and dismantle the arguments of individuals instead of lackadaisically poisoning the well. In doing so you can expose the weakness of cynicism, which is what I think you really want to do.

Even then you've got a hard road ahead of you if you want to be effective. Do yourself a favor though, and don't create enemies where there were none in the first place. Who knows, you may even come to appreciate some of the skeptical perspectives offered by many participants on forums like these.

Cheers.
booNyzarC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:26 AM   #250
justintime
Banned

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
And how does that make you feel?
I think looking at the dates Roswell 1947 and around 1951 Carl Sagan at 17 talking about flying saucers and aliens makes me feel he made that connection. He developed an early obsession and tried to fulfill it by searching for them for the rest of his life.
By embellishing his Cosmos program with the possibility of finding ETI through the SETI project added the type of hype that sells books and movies and panders to the irrational beliefs in aliens.
justintime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:28 AM   #251
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Then why do you try to use Contact as evidence that Dr. Sagan was, as you have put it, a "snake-oil salesman"?

And where have you demonstrated your qualifications to identify anyone (much less your friend you are outing) as "treatable"? And where have you demonstrated your training in "treating" anyone so diagnosed?

Indeed. It continues to appear we're witnessing some lashing out due to an anger and resentment about being smacked down by skeptics sometime in the past.

Come on, justintime, what is it you believe, that skeptics don't believe, that makes you so angry at skeptics? Was your mother a skeptic when you were an infant? Did your father smoke a cigar? A bigger one than yours? Is there a point to any of your rambling aside from you hate skeptics so you want to hang around insulting them? You do realize that activity has gotten you banned from other forums, don't you?
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:35 AM   #252
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

I think looking at the dates Roswell 1947 and around 1951 Carl Sagan at 17 talking about flying saucers and aliens makes me feel he made that connection. He developed an early obsession and tried to fulfill it by searching for them for the rest of his life.
By embellishing his Cosmos program with the possibility of finding ETI through the SETI project added the type of hype that sells books and movies and panders to the irrational beliefs in aliens.
So, with no regard to basic priciple of etymology, you build an entire case against Dr. Sagan oin what you "feel" must be true?

You are continuing to use the word "obsession" without any justification.

Your continued, and increasingly desperate, attempts at calumniating Dr. Sagan for what you want to believe he believed, are noted.

Now: be so kind as to address your qualifications for diagnosing someone as "treatable".

Further, be so kind as to address your qualifications for providing approrpiate "treatment", assuming arguendo you could, in fact, make the diagnosis.

Further, be so kind as to address the issue of denigrating the person whose identity you claim to be trying to protect as part of any approved, or accepted, "treatment".
Old 4th December 2012, 08:36 AM   #253
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by GeeMack View Post
Indeed. It continues to appear we're witnessing some lashing out due to an anger and resentment about being smacked down by skeptics sometime in the past.

Come on, justintime, what is it you believe, that skeptics don't believe, that makes you so angry at skeptics? Was your mother a skeptic when you were an infant? Did your father smoke a cigar? A bigger one than yours? Is there a point to any of your rambling aside from you hate skeptics so you want to hang around insulting them? You do realize that activity has gotten you banned from other forums, don't you?
I see what you did there...
Old 4th December 2012, 08:37 AM   #254
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Why is belief that aliens might exist irrational?
Old 4th December 2012, 08:39 AM   #255
justintime
Banned

Originally Posted by GeeMack View Post

I have been noticing the Education section is hardly drawing any interest. So I was right Skeptics are not for education.

I found the heaviest activity in the Paranormal section which included Carl Sagan and his obsession with aliens (this OP). So it is not only the Skeptic Carl Sagan who was obsessed with aliens. Most Skeptics here are just as obsessed with aliens.
I was not trying to make this an OP about aliens but about Carl Sagan as a Skeptic. But it appears one cannot separate Skeptics from their beliefs in aliens.
justintime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:40 AM   #256
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

You keep using this term as if it's a diagnosis; I don't think you can justify that. Your participation on in this thread and a few others, all concerning skepticism seems to suggest an agenda.

What is it?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:47 AM   #257
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I have been noticing the Education section is hardly drawing any interest. So I was right Skeptics are not for education.

I found the heaviest activity in the Paranormal section which included Carl Sagan and his obsession with aliens (this OP). So it is not only the Skeptic Carl Sagan who was obsessed with aliens. Most Skeptics here are just as obsessed with aliens.
I was not trying to make this an OP about aliens but about Carl Sagan as a Skeptic. But it appears one cannot separate Skeptics from their beliefs in aliens.
Is this some sort of undergrad project? Your language skills seem passable, maybe even skilled, though with more than a hint of pedant.

You don't have to capitalize skeptic by the way. Unless you're trying to make some sort of point; then, well, you haven't I'm afraid.

As to your shot about the Education forum, you do understand many here are in fact educators, don't you?
Old 4th December 2012, 08:50 AM   #258
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Oh, and I thought you intended making an effort not to confuse entertainment with serious discourse. You appear unaware that the busiest forums here are those which attract the most entertaining (or merely persistent) contrarians. It's the nutcases who are uninterested in education.

In what way might aliens, if they exist, be paranormal?

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 4th December 2012 at 08:54 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:55 AM   #259
GeeMack
Banned

Ah, I see. You're just trolling to get banned. I would wish you luck in that endeavor, but it looks like you'll be successful regardless.
Old 4th December 2012, 08:57 AM   #260
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I think we may finally be getting somewhere.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:57 AM   #261
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Is this some sort of undergrad project?
I imagine it's a personal crusade, rather than a body of work intended to be presented for others to admire. Might be mistaken, though.

I wonder how the OP feels it's going so far.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:59 AM   #262
Dcdrac
Philosopher

And if you had read Cosmos and watched the tv series of that name you would relaly know what his views were before projecting what you have decided what his views were.
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:01 AM   #263
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

You are probably a bit too self-absorbed to realize that you are addressing a group that includes many educators. Your gratuitous attempted insult is, however, par for your course.

You cannot refer to Dr. Sagan without trying to pretend that he was a dishonest snake-oil salesman pandering to the credulous about his (as you put it) "obsession" with "UFOs and aliens". In what way have you demonstrated (remember: you made the claim, it is up to you to provide evidence) that "one cannot separate Skeptics (sic) from their beliefs in aliens"?

ETA: I see Resume beat me to it.

ETA: here is your OP: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, particularly in claims that are far fetched or that violate physical laws.Carl Sagan did not need extraordinary evidence to spend his adult life searching for ETI (aliens). He just followed his early obsessions with flying saucers and aliens to fuel his scientific curiosity and a rather weak statistical probability based on arbitrary assumptions, hardly scientific by any definition or even scientifically skeptical."
With such an opening gambit, it is not disingenuous to claim that you didn't want this thread to be "about" aliens? Particularly since most of the mentions of "aliens" in the thread are rebuttals of your OP, and your fixation on Dr. Sagan's presumed "obsession"?

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 4th December 2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: academic honesty, rhetorical continuity
Old 4th December 2012, 09:03 AM   #264
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Einstein was obsessed with finding a Unified Theory of Everything
Newton was obsessed with Alchemy
Edison was obsessed with electricity.

Obsession with finding the truth (or a fiction) does not detract from the real work one does, nor does it prevent real findings.
In fact, obsession with something can be positive or negative--but it quite often leads to discovering things never before imagined...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:04 AM   #265
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

And by "treatment" you mean, what, helping them overcome their skepticism so that they can be credulous, not subjecting unusual claims to careful scrutiny and stupidly accepting wild stories about flying saucers and alien abductions, miracle elixirs, and psychic mediums?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:05 AM   #266
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
And if you had read Cosmos and watched the tv series of that name you would relaly know what his views were before projecting what you have decided what his views were.
Oh, well, evidence is all very well I suppose, but where's the fun in that when you could be philosophisin'?
Old 4th December 2012, 09:08 AM   #267
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Which is why Carl Sagan was the Professor of Astronomy at Cornell.

Oh, wait...
Old 4th December 2012, 09:22 AM   #268
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I found the heaviest activity in the Paranormal section which included Carl Sagan and his obsession with aliens (this OP).

Congratulations on finding your own OP. It must feel like quite an achievement.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:24 AM   #269
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

...irrational beliefs in aliens.
It's very simple: Carl Sagan did not have a belief in aliens. He (and many, many other scientist who agree with him) had a thorough knowledge of chemistry, biology and astronomy that led them to realize that there is a very real probability that life is not unique to the Earth. With this possibility in mind, they decided to conduct a survey using the only method available. Most felt it was a long shot that they would detect any signals, but given the low cost of listening, it was worth doing. They did not start with "We are certain that we will hear from alien civilizations". They started with "I wonder if there could be alien civilizations broadcasting radio signals? Well let's listen and see if we hear anything".

Please answer the following questions:

1. Why is it irrational to think that life may have evolved elsewhere in the universe?

2. Why is it irrational to investigate the possibility that some of that life might, like us, evolve to the point that it develops the technology to broadcast communications using radiation emissions?
Old 4th December 2012, 09:26 AM   #270
Dcdrac
Philosopher

So what do you know about Frank Drake J?
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:38 AM   #271
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Einstein was obsessed with finding a Unified Theory of Everything
Newton was obsessed with Alchemy
Edison was obsessed with electricity.

Obsession with finding the truth (or a fiction) does not detract from the real work one does, nor does it prevent real findings.
In fact, obsession with something can be positive or negative--but it quite often leads to discovering things never before imagined...
By all accounts, Sagan was also "obsessed" with basketball and convincing the world of the utter foolishness, and grave danger of our own extinction, posed by the building of nuclear weapons.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:43 AM   #272
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Was his banning anything to do with it?
No, it was a general observation, stated many times.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:48 AM   #273
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

You've made several serious errors of logic in those lone two sentences.

1. You're conflating two different meanings of the word "Education". The "Education" section of this forum is for the discussion of skeptical topics generally related to the schooling of children. You then pretend that "Education" actually means any and all efforts to inform anyone about skepticism.

2. You have concluded that the topics discussed by the membership of this forum correlate to the real-world actions of those individuals.

3. You have concluded that the membership of this forum represents the body of people who are skeptics.

4. You have concluded that the amount of discussion on an internet chat board is a reliable way of determining what people are "for" or "against."

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:52 AM   #274
rcfieldz
Banned

one word

ludicrous
rcfieldz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 10:02 AM   #275
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
ludicrous
So you prefer complete credulity? If someone offers you a miracle cure for only $100,000, you will immediately scrape together the cash and fork it over, because applying cautious scrutiny to the veracity of this claim would be "ludicrous"?

That explains a lot.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:14 AM   #276
justintime
Banned

Originally Posted by CriticalSock View Post
No offence taken. What do you think of my green cow example of how scepticism works in the "field"?
We already know why cheese turn green. It is the mold that causes it to turn green. If you knew that and was less of a Skeptic. You might have ended checking her out for suspect mold instead of being directed to a dead cow.

Next time someone shows you a picture of udders, Be less skeptical.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:14 AM   #277
tsig
a carbon based life-form

I can cure that for you retail

ludicrous
I have a cure for that, send $100.00 to Snake Oil Inc., Sunnyvale, Calif and a bottle of our patented, FDA Certified Medicine will be promptly mailed to you.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 10:20 AM   #278
Dcdrac
Philosopher

The Drake Equation:

http://www.seti.org/node/434
Old 4th December 2012, 10:35 AM   #279
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

From the responses it is obvious none of the participants are philosophy majors and unfortunately Skeptics lack an understanding of Epistemology. Discussion on solipsism, empiricism and rationalism require an understanding of their philosophical roots.

Kurtz has popularized scientific skepticism and critical thinking about claims of the paranormal.

Hurtz was not a scientist. He implored Skeptics to apply scientific method. In short scientific skepticism is for non scientific people.
Now how practical is it for a non scientific person to apply scientific method.
1. In America less than 5% of the working population make a living as engineers and scientist. So if you separate the scientist from engineers the percentage of the population actually making a living applying the scientific method is even smaller. How practical is that?

2. Scientific method requires a proficiency in the field of study. One cannot claim to know the scientific method and based on just this knowledge apply for a job as a research scientist.

Definition of scientific method Oxford dictionary.
1. a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses:

In short, only the professionals can apply scientific method. Only the professionals can tackle complex phenomena for verifiability. The scientific method is beyond the scope of the average Skeptic.

Why then do Skeptic Forums promote the criticism of things not well understood; how they appear awkward, are marginalized and often found rather unhelpful.
That's about what I figured...
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 10:37 AM   #280
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

ludicrous
Wow... just bowled over by that ever so articulate response.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal