IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags debra martin

Old 19th February 2008, 08:58 AM   #1
DDWW
Muse

Local news.

Our local TV station is running what amounts to free advertising for a "certified medium."

I want to post a neutral comment and invite her to take the million dollar challenge.

Help with the wording would be appreciated.

More info at News 12, Phoenix, AZ

Thanks

DDWW
DDWW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru

Could you provide a link to stories about this "certified" medium? I'd like to know what group certified her, and exactly what is claimed about her abilities.
Old 19th February 2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Here's the link for you:

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/spec...008-CR-CP.html

And the website for the "International Medium," whatever that is:
http://www.goldenmiracles.com/about.html

And the "foundation" that appears to have issued the certification: http://www.foreverfamilyfoundation.org/

L. Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 19th February 2008 at 09:11 AM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2008, 09:41 AM   #4
DDWW
Muse

I cannot link as yet until I have 15 posts.

Thanks Loss Leader for the assist.

DDWW
DDWW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru

I left a comment about the report at the channel 12 website.
Old 19th February 2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru

Originally Posted by DDWW View Post
Our local TV station is running what amounts to free advertising for a "certified medium."

I want to post a neutral comment and invite her to take the million dollar challenge.

Help with the wording would be appreciated.

More info at News 12, Phoenix, AZ

Thanks

DDWW
It looks like this is a thinly-disguised cross promotion for NBC's show Medium. If we contact her about the MDC, Channel 12 will only use this for further promotion. Since they (as an NBC affiliate) have a vested interest, we will not get an unbiased story from them. I suggest not persuing this particular medium.
Old 19th February 2008, 11:36 AM   #7
wahrheit
Philosopher

$350 an hour — not bad.

I made the mistake to click "How much do you charge for a reading?" in the Q&A section of this page: http://www.azcentral.com/12news/spec...008-CR-CP.html

Check it out to hear the typical blah blah about the money (I didn't want it at first, but...)
wahrheit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2008, 06:19 AM   #8
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
It looks like this is a thinly-disguised cross promotion for NBC's show Medium. If we contact her about the MDC, Channel 12 will only use this for further promotion. Since they (as an NBC affiliate) have a vested interest, we will not get an unbiased story from them. I suggest not persuing this particular medium.
On the other hand, I assume Phoenix has CBS, ABC, and FOX affiliates. Perhaps they'd like the scoop.
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2008, 09:54 AM   #9
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru

Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
On the other hand, I assume Phoenix has CBS, ABC, and FOX affiliates. Perhaps they'd like the scoop.
And I assume they do the same thing, and will avoid stories like this to avoid their own "Promo-news" stories being exposed.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge