IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th January 2008, 02:59 PM   #41
Temporal Renegade
Last of the Time Lords

Originally Posted by Gr8wight View Post
We point them at one of the many other skeptical challenges available for them to take. Sure, none of them are $1,000,000, but still...
They'll probably sit back & wait for those to 'expire' as well, and say the same thing.

Of course, not all of them will, and the excuses will keep on flying...
Old 1st February 2008, 11:10 PM   #42
Doc Daneeka
Muse

So. How long do you imagine it will be before we start getting claims that the prize was discontinued because "I passed his test"?
Old 4th February 2008, 06:47 AM   #43
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doc Daneeka View Post
So. How long do you imagine it will be before we start getting claims that the prize was discontinued because "I passed his test"?
About two weeks ago:
http://www.ukskeptics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2020
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2008, 07:28 AM   #44
Georg
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
Could you quote it, please? The link doesnīt work for non-members.
Georg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 04:12 AM   #45
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Georg View Post
Could you quote it, please? The link doesnīt work for non-members.
Unfortunately the content seems to have been removed for making libelious statements. The title is "How we stopped James Randi's Paranormal Challenge", which should give some clue to what it was about.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 04:41 AM   #46
Georg
Graduate Poster

Unfortunately the content seems to have been removed for making libelious statements. The title is "How we stopped James Randi's Paranormal Challenge", which should give some clue to what it was about.
After copying the thread title to google, and opening some of the search results, it seems that this poster is just a little troll that has been spamming a lot of forums with his stuff. Whatever that is. I didnīt find anything about how the challenge was "stopped", but it has to do with Nostradamus. Or something.
Thanks for looking again anyway.
Georg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 05:30 AM   #47
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Georg View Post
After copying the thread title to google, and opening some of the search results, it seems that this poster is just a little troll that has been spamming a lot of forums with his stuff. Whatever that is. I didnīt find anything about how the challenge was "stopped", but it has to do with Nostradamus. Or something.
Thanks for looking again anyway.
Yeah, I think he'd bascially just linked to another forum where he'd made some claims and been told he was an idiot. Now I think about it, he wasn't actually claiming that the challenge had stopped because he'd passed, but because they knew he was going to pass. Does that still count?
Old 5th February 2008, 06:04 AM   #48
Georg
Graduate Poster

Does that still count?
Sure.
Old 5th February 2008, 08:42 AM   #49
Seventhsally
Student

If you could write them all out- it could be like that joke about all the comedians who new all the jokes, and only shared the numbers then laughed-

Someone could deny a claim, we'd all go '17' and giggle to ourselves..
Seventhsally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 11:56 AM   #50
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
because hucksters usually say the same thing when chickening out of the challenge could we have a list somewhere of what those normal responses are, so when someone starts backing up we already have answers for their bull?

for instance:

1. Randi doesnt have the million

2. JREF is a cult

3. The tests are rigged

4. Im not in it for the money

etc...and good answers to them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canard_(aeronautics)

My favorite canard is on the SAAB Viggen jet.

As to MDC applicants

"The protocol is fraudulent."

DR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saab viggen.jpg (2.5 KB, 77 views)
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 02:09 PM   #51
Stone Island
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Daneeka View Post
That should be amended:

14. I can't use my powers for personal gain [, even though I could give the million bucks to a charity. Anonymously.]
Unless Randi gave the prize in cash, you'd have to report it as income, and that might move you up into a whole new tax bracket, blah, blah, blah...
Stone Island is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 06:34 PM   #52
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Darth rotor's link does not work (bug in software) the correct link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canard_(aeronautics)

Is this evidence I am the only one interested in what he has to say?
Old 7th February 2008, 12:27 PM   #53
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Darth rotor's link does not work (bug in software) the correct link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canard_(aeronautics)

Is this evidence I am the only one interested in what he has to say?
You'd be the first.

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2008, 09:53 AM   #54
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

"I already won the challenge. I bumped into a friend of a friend of Randi's and he was slightly impressed by my psychic reading of his second dog. Randi refuses to admit this success and won't give me the million."

Yes, someone did try something similar to this.
Old 13th February 2008, 12:35 AM   #55
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Raptor Witness View Post

As for the "dice" test, that's a little boring for me. However, if you study the odds of everything I accurately predicted last year, it's the equivalent of seeing a pair of die, stand on their corners.

How about this one?

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge