JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Reply
Old 28th April 2012, 08:00 AM   #2401
Rincewind
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,903
Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
The DOCisms come so thick and fast, it's hard to pick a winner. ;





ETA: Iv'e heard that the archeologists have unearthed a new tomb. They've found a mummy covered in nuts and chocolate. It's believed that it could be the tomb of the ancient Egyptian embassador Pharoah Rocher!
Ah - Welshdean - you're spoiling us.....
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 08:11 AM   #2402
jond
Graduate Poster
 
jond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,842
+1 for Tim (the enchanter) Callahan.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 08:12 AM   #2403
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe
 
Elizabeth I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Defending the Alamo
Posts: 9,920
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
So I'll go to Belgium after Dublin. Simple. Chocolate should never be a question of either/or.

But I think, think, mind you, it's hard to know for sure, that this is sligtly ot (although some would say that chocolate can't be ot).
I would say that. (Hi, Helen!)
__________________

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 09:10 AM   #2404
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,986
+1 on Tim Callahan. I feel like, just reading these threads, that I have read his books. So much good information for free!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 09:57 AM   #2405
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,284
Originally Posted by joobz View Post
Hi DOC,
I saw this on reddit today.
Thought it was appropriate to our conversation.

http://i.imgur.com/n5KnR.jpg
A fantastic testimony to fulfilled prophecies!

Originally Posted by Helen View Post
(although some would say that chocolate can't be ot).
Among them, me.
Cadbury with caramel filling, by choice.
__________________
How many zeros? Jabba
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 10:38 AM   #2406
Lucian
Master Poster
 
Lucian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,764
This thread is making me hungry.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 10:42 AM   #2407
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe
 
Elizabeth I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Defending the Alamo
Posts: 9,920
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Cadbury with caramel filling, by choice.
No, no, no - Cadbury's Fruit & Nut Bar. Best. candy bar. ever.
__________________

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 11:01 AM   #2408
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,284
Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
No, no, no - Cadbury's Fruit & Nut Bar. Best. candy bar. ever.
I cannot give the lie to your Majesty.
__________________
How many zeros? Jabba
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 11:02 AM   #2409
Wildy
Adelaidean
 
Wildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia, not that you'll read the "location" field.
Posts: 10,244
Originally Posted by DOC View Post
Off the top of my head he stated as fact Nebuchadnezzar was stopped at the border in Egypt with no sources to back it up as fact.
I'd say that the bigger problem is that your "prophecy" claims that Egypt would be totally devastated from the Delta to Thebes, which has no evidence at all to back it up as fact.

The fact is that Ezekiel 29:12 makes a quite specific prophecy and there is no evidence at all that supports it having come to pass. Your argument claiming this prophecy was "fulfilled" is basically asking people to just accept that it's true even though all the available evidence says that it wasn't.

Quote:
From memory he stated the Fall of Babylon was done without bloodshed.
Which is what is written in the Cyrus cylinder:

Originally Posted by Cyrus cylinder
He made him enter his city Babylon without fighting or battle; he saved Babylon from hardship.
And the Chronicle of Nabonidus:

Originally Posted by Chronicle of Nabonidus
The sixteenth day, Gobryas [litt: Ugbaru], the governor of Gutium, and the army of Cyrus entered Babylon without battle.
Why should we ignore these sources and just rely on Herodotus?

Quote:
This ignores a big battle done elsewhere in the Babylonian empire...
Someone is equivocating here.

Quote:
...and it totally ignores Herodotus, known as the "Father of History" who had a completely different account of the Fall of Babylon.
But why should we consider Herodotus' account, which is of unknown provenance, over the accounts of people who were there at the time? Are you saying that it's because Herodotus is the "Father of History"?

Quote:
Also see post 2330
If you say so. I've decided to skip the bits where you are just whining at Tim because you don't like what he said.

Originally Posted by DOC View Post
I’ve already replied to #1 in this post and showed where you made a false assumption

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.p...19#post8061119
Well I read the linked post and I don't really understand how he can make a false assumption. I do find it funny that you're complaining that he's taking things out of context when that google groups list you linked to in this thread does the exact same things at times.

Quote:
And I’ve responded to #4 in “many posts” over several pages. Here is just one of those many posts.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.p...42#post8062642
I don't understand how the linked post shows that you are correct here. Especially considering what the "prophecy" said.

Quote:
To say all these prophecies have been “proven” false is absurd.
Why?

Quote:
Making widesweeping generalities is a great tactic but anyone can do that.
So claiming that the Ezekiel prophecy regarding Egypt is incorrect because Nebuchadnezzar didn't lay waste to the country from Migdol to Aswan (Syene) to the border with Nubia and disperse the Egyptian people, as is written in Ezekiel, is a widesweeping generality?

Is it a widesweeping generality to claim that the prophecy that Tyre would fall to Nebuchadnezzar and become a desolate place that nobody would inhabit by the simple fact that it was still a city long after Nebuchadnezzar died and still is a city to this day?

Quote:
You should just let my 122 posts speak for themselves unless you have some new information to offer which you don’t in your post.
So you're right because you've posted in this thread? Or are you saying that the sheer number of posts you've made in this thread means that you're right?

Quote:
But #3 About Tyre is an almost perfect example of cherry picking. Here is your statement—

“3) The prophecy by Ezekiel that Nebuchadnezzar would destroy the city of Tyre. Nebuchadnezzar never did take the island city of Tyre. That was done by Alexander the Great.”

This statement totally ignores several other verses in chapter 26 of Ezekiel that makes chapeter 26 an amazing prophecy, which is highly detailed.
Which verses are you referring to?

Quote:
This prophecy and your response to it is a perfect example why people shouldn’t believe TimCallahan, or myself, or anyone else, without doing your own research on these verses (hopefully using several translations) and other sources besides just Wiki.
Why is this prophecy a perfect example of that?

Quote:
Also one should remember that just because something has not been documented, that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. As I have said, just because we have no signature for the most powerful man in the world, Julius Caesar, that doesn’t mean he never signed his name to anything.
This is true within reason. The Egypt prophecy, for example, is one that, had it happened, would have had plenty of archaeological evidence behind it which we don't see.



By the way I would also like to be added to the Tim Callahan et. al list.
__________________
Latest Blog Posts:Atheism+
More Atheism+ stuff

Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 11:07 AM   #2410
Helen
Implicitly explicit
 
Helen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here. Or very nearly getting there, at least.
Posts: 2,144
Heretics. Dark chocolate, preferably from Santo Domingo. Possibly coffee flavoured.

But I am no fundamentalist, if they call it chocolate, I'll eat it...
Helen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 03:37 PM   #2411
welshdean
2012 6Nations Grand Slam
-------CHAMPIONS-------
 
welshdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Spitting in Andrew Wakefields eye
Posts: 1,563
Originally Posted by joobz View Post
Hi DOC,
I saw this on reddit today.
Thought it was appropriate to our conversation.

http://i.imgur.com/n5KnR.jpg
Oh dear, it get's worse for DOC and his god. I swear I saw a minaret in that pic.
__________________
Poe's Law!!! im christian if we came from apes how come were not hairy and have a big mouth and did we end up looking like we do know and besides there isnt any serious proof of apes they showd a video saying an ape was wondering around in the forest that thing looked exactly like a costume that i had saw at a store know one ever cought an ape (spelling/punctuation by original author)
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 04:00 PM   #2412
welshdean
2012 6Nations Grand Slam
-------CHAMPIONS-------
 
welshdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Spitting in Andrew Wakefields eye
Posts: 1,563
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Heretics. Dark chocolate, preferably from Santo Domingo. Possibly coffee flavoured.

But I am no fundamentalist, if they call it chocolate, I'll eat it...
To hell ye'll go young lady. I always wondered who ate the 'dirty' Revel.
__________________
Poe's Law!!! im christian if we came from apes how come were not hairy and have a big mouth and did we end up looking like we do know and besides there isnt any serious proof of apes they showd a video saying an ape was wondering around in the forest that thing looked exactly like a costume that i had saw at a store know one ever cought an ape (spelling/punctuation by original author)
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 04:02 PM   #2413
welshdean
2012 6Nations Grand Slam
-------CHAMPIONS-------
 
welshdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Spitting in Andrew Wakefields eye
Posts: 1,563
You've out done yourself this time Aberhaten.
__________________
Poe's Law!!! im christian if we came from apes how come were not hairy and have a big mouth and did we end up looking like we do know and besides there isnt any serious proof of apes they showd a video saying an ape was wondering around in the forest that thing looked exactly like a costume that i had saw at a store know one ever cought an ape (spelling/punctuation by original author)
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 02:15 AM   #2414
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,284
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Heretics. ...But I am no fundamentalist, if they call it chocolate, I'll eat it...


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
__________________
How many zeros? Jabba
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 02:21 AM   #2415
Helen
Implicitly explicit
 
Helen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here. Or very nearly getting there, at least.
Posts: 2,144
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
If I am not mistaken, they call that a chili
Helen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 02:28 AM   #2416
Helen
Implicitly explicit
 
Helen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here. Or very nearly getting there, at least.
Posts: 2,144
Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
To hell ye'll go young lady. I always wondered who ate the 'dirty' Revel.
I have no idea what a Revel is, possibly some sort of English candy pretending to contain chocolate, but if you are trying to imply that coffee flavoured chocolate is not heavenly, then you are just wrong, and I am pretty confident that at least 94% of all presidents (of something or other) would agree with me.

But since you called me young lady, I forgive you.
Helen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 03:48 AM   #2417
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,284
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
If I am not mistaken, they call that a chili
No, Helen, that's a red Jalapeńo pepper.
Underneath the chocolate.

Until Cadbury brings out their own line, we picante lovers will probably have to settle for:


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Slumming it is sometimes the only option.

I'm hoping DOC will get back to us with an example of a real, fulfilled bibical prophecy soon. If not DOC, perhaps some other forum member?
__________________
How many zeros? Jabba

Last edited by pakeha; 29th April 2012 at 03:49 AM.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 03:53 AM   #2418
Helen
Implicitly explicit
 
Helen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here. Or very nearly getting there, at least.
Posts: 2,144
(I make my own truffles for Christmas, and often flavour them with chili, but I prefer it that way around.... But we are definitley ot now.)
Helen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 04:16 AM   #2419
abaddon
Philosopher
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,134
Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
[offtopic]
Let me know if you're in Dublin, my favourite cafe/bakery is experimenting with quintuple choc muffins......
What? Where? Give explicit directions. Pleeeez.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 04:28 AM   #2420
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,284
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
(I make my own truffles for Christmas, and often flavour them with chili, but I prefer it that way around.... But we are definitley ot now.)
Possibly, unless we can find an OT prophecy concerning chocolate.
Or LACK of chocolate.
Time to re-read Isaiah with that in mind.

hmm.
Not Isaiah, but the Psalms:
OLD TESTAMENT PROPHECY
"They put gall in my food and gave me vinegar for my thirst." Psalms 69:21.
*
NEW TESTAMENT FULFILLMENT
"A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stolk of*the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips." John 19:29.
__________________
How many zeros? Jabba

Last edited by pakeha; 29th April 2012 at 04:36 AM.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 05:48 AM   #2421
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 25,001
DOC, were there any prophecies concerning the death of Simon the Zealot?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 06:33 AM   #2422
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin (the one in Ireland)
Posts: 11,284
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
What? Where? Give explicit directions. Pleeeez.
Baggot Street. I'll check with the boss to see if he's still doing them, he likes to experiment and change his menu fairly frequently.
How about a cranberry and cinnamon scone instead?
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 06:47 AM   #2423
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 33,504
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
DOC, were there any prophecies concerning the death of Simon the Zealot?
Certainly StZ was prophesied to die in many ways in various places.

You can read all about it in my new book "The Mysterious Deaths and Resurrections of Simon the Zealot as related to me in trance at Chareton Asylum" available in serial form in "Squid Fishing Monthly". (not available in ESP at this time).
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 07:23 AM   #2424
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 25,504
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
So I'll go to Belgium after Dublin. Simple. Chocolate should never be a question of either/or.

Check out the Guinness as well. They make a special Guinness for export to Belgium, called Guinness Special Export. To quote the tasting notes in the World Beer Guide by Andrea Gillies:
Quote:
Fresh chocolate truffle, sweet vanilla, coffee and strawberry on the nose prepare the palate for the silkiest, mellowest, most quaffable of 8% abv beers, with rich but refined coffee, chocolate (masses of chocolate) cream and vanilla, a sweet, fat yeasty tang, and, it seems, a seductive strawberry-fool flavour. All reined in and restrained by a firm but kind hop floral bitteness in the finish.

Beer that tastes of chocolate. A miracle!
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 12:24 PM   #2425
abaddon
Philosopher
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,134
Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Baggot Street. I'll check with the boss to see if he's still doing them, he likes to experiment and change his menu fairly frequently.
How about a cranberry and cinnamon scone instead?
Currants or not?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 12:29 PM   #2426
abaddon
Philosopher
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,134
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Check out the Guinness as well. They make a special Guinness for export to Belgium, called Guinness Special Export. To quote the tasting notes in the World Beer Guide by Andrea Gillies:


Beer that tastes of chocolate. A miracle!
No. Just Irish. And your welcome.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 05:40 PM   #2427
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,109
Ezekiel 26:14
And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD.

Acts 12:20
And Herod was highly displeased with them of Tyre and Sidon: but they came with one accord to him, and, having made Blastus the king's chamberlain their friend, desired peace; because their country was nourished by the king's country.

One of these things is not like the other thing.
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2012, 05:29 AM   #2428
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: That's how you get ants
Posts: 18,001
Update

DOC has successfully demonstrated a fulfilled biblical prophecy: 1

DOC

DOC has failed to demonstrate that biblical prophecies have been fullfilled. 43
Joobz
Foster Zygote
jond
abaddon
mashuna
zooterkin
Mojo
Lucian
Amazer
Helen
Filippo Lippi
Hokulele
RoboTimbo
FastEddieB
joseph8th
kmortis
x
RobDegraves
Elizabeth I
Lukraak_Sisser
Mudcat
ddt
Mister Agenda* Whose opinion DOC labeled as Unbiased
catsmate
tsig
Leumas
Brainache
Welshdean
Rincewind
Multivac
pakeha
dafydd
TimCallahan
Wildy
Lrrr
Cantab
Sezme
AdMan
Alice Shortcake
Sun Countess
Agatha
Akhenaten/Aberhaten
lowpro

Doc has successfullly demonstrated that the OT is largely made up of incomprehensible gibberish: 16
Lucian
Helen
kmortis
ddt
Leumas
Mudcat
Welshdean
Rincewind
Multivac
Brainache
pakeha
Cantab
Sezme
Nay_sayer
Akhenaten
lowpro

Do you believe any of these[prophecies in a google list] came true?
No:24

zooterkin
joobz
kerikiwi
pakeha
Mojo
dafydd
Lucian
ddt
welshdean
Agatha
Elizabeth I
Craig B
catsmate1
Helen
carlitos
abaddon
Robotimbo
Mudcat
Welshdean
Lrrr
Rincewind
Akhenaten
Lowpro
Brainache

So you believe these[prophecies in a google list] came true?
Yes:0

no one has yet to agree to this

Who's posts are more "informational"?
DOC's:0
no one has yet to agree to this

Tim Callahan et al:20
Fast Eddie B
catsmate1
ddt
Mudcat
dafydd
pakeha
welshdean
Agatha
joobz
RoboTimbo
Akhenaten
Elizabeth I
Lucian
pakeha
Brainache
Helen
Rincewind
jond
carlitos
Wildy
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2012, 06:19 AM   #2429
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Posts: 16,049
Originally Posted by jond View Post
+1 for Tim (the enchanter) Callahan.
Manky Scots git!
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 02:48 PM   #2430
TimCallahan
Philosopher
 
TimCallahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,277
So, DOC, at the risk that you will accuse me of spamming, I still assert that we haven't convinced you, and you haven't convinced us, that the following prophecies were or were not miraculously fulfilled:

1) Fall of Nineveh

2) Destruction of Tyre

3) Nebuchadnezzar's invasion and devastation of Egypt

4) Violent fall of Babylon

5) 60 Old Testament prophecies of the life of Jesus

Again, I assert we seem to have reached an impasse. Also, asserting that we've reached an impasse doesn't per se mean that I'm asserting one side or the other is right or wrong.

So, should we abandon this thread, or do you have some other prophecies you would like to talk about?
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 03:38 PM   #2431
archspoiler
New Blood
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19
I've just finished reading this entire thread...

and before I poke my eyes out with a stick, I'd like to thank DOC for the lobotomy. And DOC, you've completely convinced me that the bible is a bronze-age trashy beach novel.
archspoiler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 03:52 PM   #2432
Lucian
Master Poster
 
Lucian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,764
Originally Posted by archspoiler View Post
and before I poke my eyes out with a stick, I'd like to thank DOC for the lobotomy. And DOC, you've completely convinced me that the bible is a bronze-age trashy beach novel.
You're giving it way too much credit. Can you imagine lounging on a beach reading Numbers?
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 05:09 PM   #2433
jond
Graduate Poster
 
jond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,842
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
You're giving it way too much credit. Can you imagine lounging on a beach reading Numbers?
That'll be quite the sunburn from falling asleep reading! Kinda like being whipped for disobeying your master when you didn't know you were disobeying him...
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 05:28 PM   #2434
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin (the one in Ireland)
Posts: 11,284
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Currants or not?
Not in his cranberry and cinnamon ones, he does the more conventional types too.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 06:45 PM   #2435
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,109
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
You're giving it way too much credit. Can you imagine lounging on a beach reading Numbers?


For some real cognitive dissonance, try to imagine lounging on the beach at Tyre and reading Ezekiel.



And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon;
thou shalt be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD.
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 07:25 PM   #2436
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,109
Originally Posted by archspoiler View Post
I've just finished reading this entire thread...


Jeebus!

You are hereby awarded the Order of Wilbur. Wear it with pride.


__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:26 AM   #2437
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Launching the army, waiting for Hok to commit her forces (then the moles strike...)
Posts: 4,120
Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
Jeebus!

You are hereby awarded the Order of Wilbur. Wear it with pride.

What does he get if he reads the entire Evidence thread?
__________________
It is sad that this is necessary:
Argumentum Ad Hominem: "You are wrong because you are ugly."
Not Ad-Hom: "You are wrong and you are ugly."

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:53 AM   #2438
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 12,391
Originally Posted by X View Post
What does he get if he reads the entire Evidence thread?
The Order of Nimrod the Red Herring? With oak leafs?
__________________
Proud member of the Solipsistic Autosycophant's Group
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:01 AM   #2439
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,109
Originally Posted by X View Post
What does he get if he reads the entire Evidence thread?


Brain damage, most likely.



Originally Posted by ddt View Post
The Order of Nimrod the Red Herring? With oak leafs?


I wonder if we've been playing together for too long. That's exactly what I started to draw first but Nimrod seemed to be a bit long and thin so I used Wilbur instead.

__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:30 AM   #2440
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 12,391
Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I wonder if we've been playing together for too long. That's exactly what I started to draw first but Nimrod seemed to be a bit long and thin so I used Wilbur instead.

There's no too long there, oh mighty Pharaoh. Can I now apply for the MDC?
__________________
Proud member of the Solipsistic Autosycophant's Group

Last edited by ddt; 2nd May 2012 at 06:31 AM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.