JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

View Poll Results: Who was the best of the worst in 2007? Vote now!
January: Lyte Trip's see-saw analogy. 30 17.65%
February: Killtown's evil faces. 7 4.12%
March: Roscoe's eggsperiment. 14 8.24%
April: Imstellar28's vacuum implosion. 9 5.29%
May: Louder Than Words' arrogance. 4 2.35%
June: Craig Ranke CIT's circular logic. 25 14.71%
July: Malcolm Kirkman's 'gravity'. 36 21.18%
August: Alex Jones' knowledge of history. 6 3.53%
September: Terral's ten-foot Pentagon. 9 5.29%
October: FadetooBlack's comet-proof towers. 6 3.53%
November: C1ph4's true lies. 20 11.76%
December: Edward Mitchell's anti-metallurgy. 4 2.35%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th January 2008, 12:00 AM   #1
Mobyseven
President of Covert-Ops

This is it: Welcome to Teh 28th Diurnal Stundie Awards for 2007!!!

Ciao, konnichiwa, ni hao, servus, marhaba, shalom, saluton, yia sou, aloha, namaste, nuqneH?, ahn nyeong, salve, kia ora, salaam, cześć, pree-vyet, hoezit, adaab, shwmai, sawubona, and of course, hello! Welcome to Teh 28th Diurnal Stundie Awards for 2007, otherwise known as the Best of The Stundies for 2007!

It's been one hell of a year: From the inception of the award that would become Teh Stundies in early January, through the naming process and creation of the award, to the creation of the rules that currently govern the rules for nomination and onto the William Rea Wars, the launch of the Final Failure and the Kirkman Saga, the Stundies have survived to become the monthly delicacy of stupid that we all know and love.

There are obviously a large number of people I would like to thank - a number so large that to name all of you would be, essentially, to name the entire membership of regular CT posters. To name but a few: I'd like to thank Oliver for designing the monthly award, and Steve S for the design of the yearly award (to be presented to the winner of this poll!), and I'd especially like to thank Qarnos and Gravy, who staged a coup and organised the awards during my mysterious two month absence (the time of which was most definitely not spent at Bohemian Grove!)

To make the nominees anonymous this month would be an exercise in futility - after all, these finalists are the cream of a particularly bizarre crop, and you voted them into these finals! So, without further delay, may I present the finalists for 2007, in order of month won!

NOMINEES FOR 2007:

***JANUARY***

Originally Posted by Lyte Trip
My see-saw analogy renders any need for "calculations" moot.

***FEBRUARY***

Originally Posted by pdoherty76
Killtown...How could the perps make 9-11 appear in the smoke? How could they even know that the media would call the event 9-11?
Originally Posted by Killtown
Same way they did the evil faces.

***MARCH***

Originally Posted by Roscoe
Try this.

Stack four eggs one on top of the other. Glue them together and make a tower out of them. Ensure the structure is stable and will not topple.

Now break the top egg. Hit it with your spoon and similate an aircraft hitting it.

Will the three eggs below the top egg break all the way to the floor?

No because the mass of the top egg will be difused and free to deflect around the shells of the lower eggs.

Exactly like the towers.

***APRIL***

Originally Posted by imstellar28
All properly designed building implosions fall faster than gravity because they are "pulled" downward by vacuum. You don't think things can fall faster than gravity? Throw a ball into the ground.

***MAY***

Originally Posted by Louder Than Words
Like Rosa Parks, Simon Wiesenthal, Winston Churchill, and Nelson Mandela, we will not veer from our course and we will not shut up.

***JUNE***

Originally Posted by Craig Ranke CIT
It's circular logic to suggest that strong evidence proving there was a serious deception that took place during this operation of deception is null and void because of the physical evidence which the evidence that contradicts it proves is the deception the first place.

***JULY***

Originally Posted by Malcolm Kirkman
24 carat nonsense. In order for gravity to work, you need a source of GRAVITY.
[...]

Originally Posted by Ivor the Engineer
What are viable sources of gravity?
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kirkman
Air pressure.

***AUGUST***

Originally Posted by Alex Jones
When Galileo said that the world was round and not flat, he was locked up for the last few years of his life for saying it. But a few years after his death, it went from being widely accepted it was flat to being widely accepted it was round. And so I'm saying the world is round and I'm saying 9/11 is an inside job and I'm showing that the official story is a fraud, a flat Earth theory, and I know I'm going to be vindicated.

***SEPTEMBER***

Originally Posted by Terral

***OCTOBER***

Originally Posted by FadetooBlack
Passenger jets huh? Yep, they are more powerful than a comet, which the building are supposed to be able to withstand.

***NOVEMBER***

Originally Posted by c1ph4
you suck and your comment too. [Zeitgeist] is one of the best alternative independent documentations you will ever see. even when 100% of the information therein would be a lie, you would still find a lot of truth in it.

***DECEMBER***

Originally Posted by Edward Mitchell
Steel at higher temperatures may bend, but it NEVER melts or turns to dust. Never. No, not ever.

So that's it for 2007...it's been some ride but for better or worse, it doesn't look like the ride is over yet. Remember to keep the nominations coming, or else Moloch will sacrifice me to his Master (Karl Rove)!

Mobyseven

Democratically Elected Tyrant

"Damn, you're good." - Ichneumonwasp on Mobyseven
Mobyseven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Huzzah! This is going to be a tough choice.

All right: I went with Lyte's (Craig Ranke) see saw. Pithy language, delusions of superiority, disrespect for physics, and plain old idiocy wrapped up in one nice package. The quote marks around "calculations" sealed the deal. And the phrase has practically become a meme.

Second choice was the comet-resistant towers.

That was quite a year.

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links

Last edited by Gravy; 19th January 2008 at 12:21 AM.
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 12:29 AM   #3
uk_dave
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post

That was quite a year.
It certainly was.

It feels kinda cruel to vote for Kirkman or Terral. There are some serious psychological problems at play with those two.........

....so I think I'll go with the Zeitgeist. It's a nice, concise summation of the 'truther' philosophy.
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 12:55 AM   #4
tuc0
Muse

You forgot "vítejte" in your welcome...
tuc0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 04:41 AM   #5
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Craigs see saw analogy renders any need for "voting" moot.
Old 19th January 2008, 05:53 AM   #6
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

In September, what did that make the height of the Pentagon in the end?
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 06:13 AM   #7
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Yep, it's got to be the see-saw. Even after a year of competitors trying, it still stands as a monument to arrogant ignorance. Coupled with their recent resurgence in the face of opposition even from their "own" side, it shows a resiliency of spirit that is actually quite depressing, when you consider what it's directed towards.
Old 19th January 2008, 06:21 AM   #8
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I had to go for Craig Ranke's circular logic not just for the apparent stupidity of what he appears to be trying to say but for the flamboyant way in which his sentence construction and careful avoidance of helpful punctuation makes it impossible to tell what it is that he was trying to say in the first place.

Dave

- Fabian Stang, Mayor of Oslo

SSKCAS, covert member
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 06:34 AM   #9
Mobyseven
President of Covert-Ops

Question: I know I should remember this, but was Lyte Trip Craig Ranke or Aldo? I forget if he was a double winner last year or not. Either way, it's the most attention CIT will get outside of a tin-foil conference.

Mobyseven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 06:38 AM   #10
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I'm pretty sure Lyte was Craig. Aldo is the less-intelligent, more offensive half of the pair. As hard as that is to believe....
Old 19th January 2008, 06:51 AM   #11
negativ
Graduate Poster

This is like trying to choose between Enid and Rebecca from Ghost World. No one can eat just one.
Old 19th January 2008, 07:00 AM   #12
negativ
Graduate Poster

Ultimately, I had to go with May's entry. "We will not veer from our course and we will not shut up" sounds all the more breathtakingly stupid when plopped on top of the rest of the year's entries, sort of like the cherry on top of your sundae.
Old 19th January 2008, 07:02 AM   #13
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I had to go for Craig Ranke's circular logic not just for the apparent stupidity of what he appears to be trying to say but for the flamboyant way in which his sentence construction and careful avoidance of helpful punctuation makes it impossible to tell what it is that he was trying to say in the first place.

Dave
trying to work with this sentence. First, chunk it and make a few changes:

It's circular logic to suggest that
strong evidence proving there was a serious deception
that took place during this operation of deception
is null and void because (...)
the physical evidence
which the evidence that contradicts it proves
is the deception (in) the first place.

hmm, not much help. ok, simplify:

Strong evidence for deception is not nullified, because: government-planted "evidence" is the deception in the first place.

remove double negatives and meaningless connectors:

Evidence of deception (by the government) exists. The government's planted evidence was the original deception.

hmm, "evidence" is doing double duty. simplify further and embellish:

The government attempted to deceive us by planting evidence. But I, for one, am not fooled. No siree.
Old 19th January 2008, 08:10 AM   #14
Hyperviolet
Damnum Fatale

100% Lies - Twoof.
Old 19th January 2008, 08:22 AM   #15
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe

Originally Posted by tuc0 View Post
You forgot "vítejte" in your welcome...
Also "hola" or "buenos días."

ETA: It has to be the seesaw. I voted for that one over my own nomination that month, and see no reason to change now.

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...

Last edited by Elizabeth I; 19th January 2008 at 08:24 AM.
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 08:26 AM   #16
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

I voted for Alex, because besides being incredibly egotistical (comparing himself to Galileo), he didn't even get the historical analogy right.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 09:41 AM   #17
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

It was close between Malcolm and Lyte, but I had to go with Malcolm, for the Stundie-like combination of arrogance and ignorance.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 10:13 AM   #18
OldTigerCub
Striped Shapeshifting Reptoid

My goodness! SO much stupid...and only one vote! "Faster than gravity"...throwing a ball to the ground example made me laugh the hardest, though...
Old 19th January 2008, 11:07 AM   #19
Redtail
Penultimate Amazing

I... I can't... vote... The stu...Stupid made me... f-forget the... ummm... county thingys....
Old 19th January 2008, 11:09 AM   #20
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
Second choice was the comet-resistant towers.

This must have been one of the months when I was too busy to vote. The original thread is apparently no longer available, but I'm wondering: is it possible that this person meant to refer to the de Havilland CometWP, a contemporary of the 707? If so this wouldn't even be a nomination-worthy gaffe.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 11:15 AM   #21
Redtail
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
This must have been one of the months when I was too busy to vote. The original thread is apparently no longer available, but I'm wondering: is it possible that this person meant to refer to the de Havilland CometWP, a contemporary of the 707? If so this wouldn't even be a nomination-worthy gaffe.
Well he said "passenger jets" and the comets were that too it seems.
Old 19th January 2008, 11:16 AM   #22
Jonnyclueless
Philosopher

I kinda like Peter Pan circular logic one.
Jonnyclueless is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 11:20 AM   #23
Redtail
Penultimate Amazing

Ok in the end I had to go with Killtown because P-freakin-Doherty was the voice of reason.
Old 19th January 2008, 01:06 PM   #24
Mr.D
Self Assessed Dunning-Kruger Expert

imstellar28 for actually "proving" using "science" that "faster than gravity" falling buildings not only has some resemblance to what actually happened, but was to be expected, because all imploded buildings demonstrate this by design!

And he then tops it off by providing an "example" to the poor addle-brained, science-challenged debunkers out there that might be confused by all the science-y talk.

I gotta wonder what the egg-drop contests are like over at Troofer-U's engineering department.
Mr.D is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 01:16 PM   #25
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

I had to go with the see-saw. It was pure genius, especially in context. I don't think you can truly appreciate his comment without seeing his accompanying art work.

And also I nominated it

-Gumboot

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 02:57 PM   #26
R.Mackey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
Evidence of deception (by the government) exists. The government's planted evidence was the original deception.

hmm, "evidence" is doing double duty. simplify further and embellish:

The government attempted to deceive us by planting evidence. But I, for one, am not fooled. No siree.

It's worse than that. Going one step back (the first thing I quote above) is closer.

Craig is basically saying that you cannot use evidence to refute his position. His position is that evidence is planted. The evidence you are trying to use against him is also planted, so any attempt to counter him actually strengthens his case.

It's not just a circular argument, it's a circular argument with built-in positive feedback! I've never seen anything like it.

Anyway, I abstain from the Stundies. Craig's entry, though, belongs in logic textbooks. And humour magazines.

VT VENIANT OMNES
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 03:14 PM   #27
smiskos
New Blood

I hate to pick a favorite because I love them all. Had to go for the eggsperiment though. The thought of simulating the aircraft by hitting the egg tower with a spoon just made me cry from laughter. I'd like to see a youtube vid of someone performing this.
smiskos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 03:43 PM   #28
stateofgrace

This was a tough call. Each and every entry is a master piece, an absolute gem. It is difficult to cast only one vote when faced with such a choice.

I went for July, simply because it made me laugh the most.
stateofgrace is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 04:25 PM   #29
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by Mobyseven View Post
Question: I know I should remember this, but was Lyte Trip Craig Ranke
Yes.

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
This must have been one of the months when I was too busy to vote. The original thread is apparently no longer available, but I'm wondering: is it possible that this person meant to refer to the de Havilland Comet, a contemporary of the 707?
Unfortunately, no.

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2008, 05:52 PM   #30
Mobyseven
President of Covert-Ops

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
I had to go with the see-saw. It was pure genius, especially in context. I don't think you can truly appreciate his comment without seeing his accompanying art work.

And also I nominated it

-Gumboot
Where is that picture??? I tried to track it down for the thread, but couldn't find it...

Old 19th January 2008, 06:17 PM   #31
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

Location: Trying to decide whether to set defenses against an army, or against mole rats.
Originally Posted by Mobyseven View Post
Where is that picture??? I tried to track it down for the thread, but couldn't find it...

Linky-winky.

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2008, 12:15 AM   #32
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Has to be the see saw. And your work throughout last year has been appreciated moby.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2008, 04:09 AM   #33
Mobyseven
President of Covert-Ops

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Has to be the see saw. And your work throughout last year has been appreciated moby.
Thanks. It looks at this early stage as though Craig "Lyte Trip" Ranke is going to win the award...I wonder if maybe the truthers just don't care as much if the quality has gone down throughout the year. The other alternative I can think of is that they got smarter, and, well...

Does anyone know a way to contact Steve S? No response to my PM, and I'm waiting on the final version of the year end award!

Old 20th January 2008, 04:51 AM   #34
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

In my heart they are all winners, so I took the only sensible option and went for the Donkey Vote. No 1 for me. Lyte Trip's see saw analogy (although I always thought you Yanks called it a Teeter-Totter, I guess not everything on The Brady Bunch was true either).

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2008, 06:13 AM   #35
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

It can be called either see-saw or teeter-totter.

At least, here in Canada it can be....
Old 20th January 2008, 10:23 AM   #36
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

It's either see-saw or teeter-totter in the US as well.

I ended up going with the circular logic argument; there are simply not words to describe the level of brain cells I feel like I lost just trying to comprehend that statement.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2008, 11:24 AM   #37
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I sure hope the word "diurnal" in the thread title is a deliberate injection of a little Stundie spirit into the topic, rather than an actual (minor) Stundie in itself.

Do votes cast at night count?

Respectfully,
Myriad
Old 20th January 2008, 12:42 PM   #38
ktesibios
Worthless Aging Hippie

I also went for Craig's circular logic. Not only is it a perfect example of Bad Reasoning, the language really adds that je ne sais quoi with a cherry on top.

It's as if he were channelling Donald Rumsfeld and Sir Humphrey Appleby at the same time.
Old 20th January 2008, 12:48 PM   #39
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by ktesibios View Post
I also went for Craig's circular logic. Not only is it a perfect example of Bad Reasoning, the language really adds that je ne sais quoi with a cherry on top.

It's as if he were channelling Donald Rumsfeld and Sir Humphrey Appleby at the same time.
Sir Humphrey would have thrown a "slippery slope" reference in there somewhere.
Old 20th January 2008, 06:55 PM   #40
Mobyseven
President of Covert-Ops

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I sure hope the word "diurnal" in the thread title is a deliberate injection of a little Stundie spirit into the topic, rather than an actual (minor) Stundie in itself.

Do votes cast at night count?

Respectfully,
Myriad
Only if you fill in the vampire exclusion form VMP01B.

On another note, Kirkman is catching up to Lyte...excitement, eh?

JREF Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories