IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ron paul

Old 5th February 2008, 10:21 PM   #1
NeoRicen
Critical Thinker

So when does Paul drop out?

Well Ron Paul has performed HORRIBLY. Will he drop out after the Super Tuesday is over and done with?

I can't see any reason why he'd keep going, at this point he can't even influence the convention at all.
NeoRicen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Dr. Lao
Critical Thinker

Well, the folk that live on planet earth knew that RP was never going to get more than a small percentage of votes. But the zealots wouldn't listen.

It was supposed to be a REVOLUTION!

You can spam polls and put up signs with fellow dorks, but that won't get you elected.

Maybe they will figure it out, but instead they will probably all crow about how they got 8% in one state.
Being a Conspiracy Theorist is easy, you never have to provide proof, you only demand that others disprove you. And when they do disprove you, you can accuse them of being part of the conspiracy, and make up a new one.
Dr. Lao is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 10:42 PM   #3
mortimer
NWO Janitor

Wonder if Paul is going to give back all that money he didn't spend on advertising to his donors, or if he's just gonna pocket it. I'm thinking the latter. Message to Ron Paul supporters: SUCKERS!
Old 5th February 2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Gah, our Republican caucus is this week, and the Ron Paul ads have just started on local TV broadcasts.
Old 5th February 2008, 10:45 PM   #5
joobie
i don't care

i hope he stays in to the bitter end, because it's been comedy gold the whole way.
joobie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 10:48 PM   #6
FM21.105
Thinker

I'm HOPING he stays until the end, because I've made so many bets with people about this outcome, it would bring me MAD MONEY

Eat that, Jim Cramer.
FM21.105 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 10:55 PM   #7
Dr. Lao
Critical Thinker

Note to all the Paulbots.

TAKE DOWN YOUR DAMNED SIGNS!

most were put up illegally, attached to overpasses, road islands, trees, etc.
Being a Conspiracy Theorist is easy, you never have to provide proof, you only demand that others disprove you. And when they do disprove you, you can accuse them of being part of the conspiracy, and make up a new one.

Last edited by Dr. Lao; 5th February 2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: weasels ripped my flesh
Dr. Lao is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 11:02 PM   #8
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Drop out? I didn't know he was running.

Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 11:18 PM   #9
ZenFountain
Muse

Been browsing ronpaulforums.com periodically the past few days, it seems they have finally conceded that he's done and now the conspiracy phase begins in full force! M$M and the CIA are mostly responsible for Paul losing, because it's simply not possible the voters didn't want him...yawn.
Old 5th February 2008, 11:26 PM   #10
NeoRicen
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ZenFountain View Post
Been browsing ronpaulforums.com periodically the past few days, it seems they have finally conceded that he's done and now the conspiracy phase begins in full force! M$M and the CIA are mostly responsible for Paul losing, because it's simply not possible the voters didn't want him...yawn.
That's the problem with a lot of libertarians, they seem to think everyone thinks the way they do. At least liberals and conservatives understand they only make up a portion of the population. Paul's supporters seriously thought he'd win because of this.
NeoRicen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 11:38 PM   #11
Patejdl
Scholar

Well I've been too on ronpaulforums.com and only a few crackpots say that. Generalizing is just not the right thing now. I guess every reasonable RP fan knew that he's never going to win. Even RP must have known that. And the fact that RP won't drop out of the race is not because he believes there's a chance he will win.
Patejdl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 11:41 PM   #12
joobie
i don't care

Originally Posted by Patejdl View Post
Well I've been too on ronpaulforums.com and only a few crackpots say that.
perhaps, but if that's the case they're easily the most prolific posters there because it shows up in every thread i read, along with how deluded all the sheeple are and how everyone must hate liberty.
joobie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 12:06 AM   #13
Patejdl
Scholar

But what is the problem now? The crackpots who are making the whole RP campaign unattractive and creepy looking and that the official RP campaign sucked as hell or that RP's ideas actually suck as hell?? Both??
Patejdl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 12:08 AM   #14
joobie
i don't care

nothing is the problem. i actually encourage it. see post #5. i hope it lasts forever.
Old 6th February 2008, 12:10 AM   #15
FM21.105
Thinker

I hate liberty so much, I tried voting for Giuliani...EVEN AFTER HE DROPPED

(Before I get the hate mail, I didn't actually vote Giuliani...)
FM21.105 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 12:24 AM   #16
suomynonA
Student

So is this the new logo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg over-lution.jpg (61.5 KB, 12 views)
suomynonA is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 12:41 AM   #17
the escape plan
New Blood

Uncommitted is beating him in the delegate count. That is just embrassing.

Last edited by the escape plan; 6th February 2008 at 12:44 AM.
the escape plan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 03:41 AM   #18
Kerberos
Illuminator

Originally Posted by the escape plan View Post
Uncommitted is beating him in the delegate count. That is just embrassing.
I wouldn't say that, RP is doing quite well for a no hope candidate.
Kerberos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 07:30 AM   #19
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Ron Paul out of it? Nonsense. His delegate count is up 267%! He's in double-digits folks!

He beat McCain in Alaska.
He tied McCain and Huckabee for delegates in North Dakota.

If only the US was entirely made of sparsely populated states where the M$M can't work against him.

If the M$M, the CIA and most Republican weren't against him, he'd probably have at least twenty delegates by now.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 08:23 AM   #20
MaGZ
Philosopher

The is still an opening for Ron Paul as a third party candidate. With McCain likely to win the Republican nomination, Ron Paul can now present himself to the voters as the conservative alternative.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 08:31 AM   #21
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

My opinion is that Ron Paul is only in this to get the Libertarian message out (like Tancredo was in the race to get the illegal immigrant message out). But, if they actually said that, they would not get the funding they needed (or if they said it later, they could get charged with some kind of fraud or misrepresentation).

So regardless of his chances, he will stay in the race until:

1) The money runs out, or
2) They feel it is time to turn their support over to the candidate they want to win over the others
Denver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 08:36 AM   #22
UserGoogol
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
The is still an opening for Ron Paul as a third party candidate. With McCain likely to win the Republican nomination, Ron Paul can now present himself to the voters as the conservative alternative.
I don't think that Ron Paul can present himself as the "conservative" alternative because most "conservatives" disagree with him pretty strongly on if nothing else the war. But paleoconservatives could probably like him. (The Alabama Constitution Party has endorsed Ron Paul, for instance.) I still think that if Ron Paul runs as a third party candidate he could, in principle, break into that vaulted 1% realm.

(Although I admit I have the ulterior motives that even though I hate Ron Paul, I want him or someone like him to be able to provide a counter-spoiler so that the Green Party can do their thing without worrying about giving the election to the Republicans.)

Last edited by UserGoogol; 6th February 2008 at 08:39 AM.
UserGoogol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 09:17 AM   #23
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

As others I am sure have commented, RP will likely go all the way to the convention out of spite. His followers will have it no other way.

The twisted apple does not fall far from the twisted tree.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 09:28 AM   #24
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by UserGoogol View Post
I still think that if Ron Paul runs as a third party candidate he could, in principle, break into that vaulted 1% realm.
Vaulted 1% realm? What kind of screwy system are you guys running?
Old 6th February 2008, 09:29 AM   #25
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by T.A.M. View Post
As others I am sure have commented, RP will likely go all the way to the convention out of spite. His followers will have it no other way.

TAM
I agree. Especially if Romney and Huckabee have dropped out by then.

Does anyone know the rules of conventions? If Ron Paul goes into the convention with his handful of delegates, does someone get to give a nominating speech for him? I think Paul would use any publicity he can get at the convention to launch his Libertarian Party run.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 09:36 AM   #26
Michael Redman
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Gah, our Republican caucus is this week, and the Ron Paul ads have just started on local TV broadcasts.
Ours was last night, and I saw my first RP TV spot at 8:30 P.M, well past the time it could do any good. Not what I would call a prudent expenditure.
Michael Redman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 09:47 AM   #27
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
Well Ron Paul has performed HORRIBLY. Will he drop out after the Super Tuesday is over and done with?

I can't see any reason why he'd keep going, at this point he can't even influence the convention at all.
Like most nuts, Paul is a dead-ender. He'll never quit. Why would he? You get idiots to send you money, you get to be on TV, etc. The alternative is to go back to complete anonymity.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 09:53 AM   #28
UserGoogol
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Vaulted 1% realm? What kind of screwy system are you guys running?
I'm partly coyly making fun of some poster (The Central Scrutinizer, I think?) who has liked pointing out that libertarians reliably get "0%" of the vote, in the sense that that's what you get when you round to the nearest percent. If Paul can get 1% of the vote, (technically 0.5% I guess) then libertarians would no longer get 0%. It amounts to absolutely nothing practically speaking, but it's my opinion that people like Ralph Nader (2.7% in 2000) and Ross Perot (18.9% in 1992 and 8.4% in 1996) are definitely of a higher tier of third party candidates than Badnarik (0.3% in 2004) or David Cobb (0.1% in 2004)

Last edited by UserGoogol; 6th February 2008 at 10:02 AM.
UserGoogol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 09:57 AM   #29
Wildy
Adelaidean

See if you guys hadn't revolted and became a constitutional monarchy you too could have a head of state that is chosen for you and her representative appointed.

Then you wouldn't have the current weird system that you have.
Old 6th February 2008, 09:59 AM   #30
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
Or maybe "uncommitted" can run and make RP his running mate.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 10:17 AM   #31
Swing Dangler
Graduate Poster

Wouldn't want a winner winning I suppose....

Video: Here

"Ron Paul won all the debates" because of his resonating message of individual liberty and personal responsibility.

"Ron Paul won all the debates," stated Rudy Giuliani in his speech conceding defeat in the Florida Primary to John McCain. "Government works best when it empowers people to take responsibilities for their own lives.”

Quote:
T.A.M. As others I am sure have commented, RP will likely go all the way to the convention out of spite. His followers will have it no other way.
Twisted? Due elaborate?
"I would imagine that if you took the top expert in that type of work and gave him the assignment of bringing these buildings down with explosives, I would bet that he could do it."-John SKilling-Head Structural Engineer WTC-1993 Seattle Times
Swing Dangler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 10:26 AM   #32
steverino
Illuminator

So when does Paul drop out?

...When Ringo dies.
steverino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 10:32 AM   #33
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, Swing has gone from a almost Marxist Left Wing Position to a Libertarian position overnight.
I find that is not unusual among Paul Supporters. That so many wanted a Paul/Kucinich position is proof that in the end the whole Paul phenemenon is based not on policy,but an almost mindless "Screw The Establishment" mindset.
As for the Paul campaign for the GOP nomination:
It's bleeding demised, it has passed on,it has ceased to be, it's expired and has gone to meet it's Maker,it's a stiff,bereft of life,it's metabolic processes now extinct. It's kicked the bucket,it has shuffled off this mortal coil,ran down the curtain and joined the bleeeding choir invisible.
It is an Ex.Campaign.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 10:34 AM   #34
ZenFountain
Muse

Paul has to be planning to drop...every other candidate made a speech last night or at least had an announcement on their website, nada from Paul. How can you leave your supporters hanging like that after the big dance? Methinks Paul is tired and wants to go home but he feels obligated to spend all the money people have sent him and apparently keep sending despite the impossibly long odds. It's becoming quite cliché to gloat over Paul's catastophe of a campaign, but if the candidate I donated to and campaigned for lost that bad yesterday and didn't have anything to say I would be quite pissed.
Old 6th February 2008, 10:40 AM   #35
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Lao View Post
Note to all the Paulbots.

TAKE DOWN YOUR DAMNED SIGNS!

most were put up illegally, attached to overpasses, road islands, trees, etc.

They thought that was some kind of poltical guerilla warfare, I guess.
Here in Sacramento,the cops actually caught some of them at work and they got a fine for illegal posting.They actually posted a few of their signs on Private Property without the owner's permission.
You know, common sense would tell you that if you have to sneak around at Two o Clock in the morning to do something,it might not be the best way of supporting your candidate. But common sense seems not to be common among the Ronulans.
What amazes me is that Ron Paul made no attempt whatsoever to control his supporter and keep them from stupid antics like this . Granted, I don't know how sucessful he would have been, but he could have at least put out a memo to his supporters saying not to do anything illegal,etc.
But I guess common sense is lacking not just in Paul supporters,but Paul himself.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 10:42 AM   #36
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Paul has to be planning to drop...every other candidate made a speech last night or at least had an announcement on their website, nada from Paul. How can you leave your supporters hanging like that after the big dance? Methinks Paul is tired and wants to go home but he feels obligated to spend all the money people have sent him and apparently keep sending despite the impossibly long odds. It's becoming quite cliché to gloat over Paul's catastophe of a campaign, but if the candidate I donated to and campaigned for lost that bad yesterday and didn't have anything to say I would be quite pissed.

Actually considering the way the Paul campaign has been ran it is more then likely that someone just forgot to post a comment on yesterday's result.
Old 6th February 2008, 10:44 AM   #37
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
That's the problem with a lot of libertarians, they seem to think everyone thinks the way they do. At least liberals and conservatives understand they only make up a portion of the population. Paul's supporters seriously thought he'd win because of this.

I have one disagreement: I find that the "Vast Hidden Vote Out There" delusion strikes the more hardcore Left and Right ideologues in both parties.
Old 6th February 2008, 10:47 AM   #38
mrbaracuda
Banned

Gotta love the tags in this one:

Tags: failure, ron paul
mrbaracuda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 10:53 AM   #39
notheist
Thinker

Cause even knuckle draggers need a candidate

notheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2008, 11:00 AM   #40
ZenFountain
Muse

While we are on what has to be one of the last Ron Paul topics, I've been trying to figure this one out.

Were they going for the Colonel Sanders look?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics