JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 3rd May 2008, 05:12 PM   #1
kittynh
The Hupsu Detective

auctioneer

Location: If I told the aliens could find me, and you know they read this forum
NH leaves the age of wood technology...

The town of Hillsorough NH was subjected to flooding most Springs because of melting snow runoff. To help control the flooding the lake of Franklin Pierce was created in 1926, and the Jackman Shores Hydro station opened to make electricity and control the flow of water into the lake (another smaller hydro station, privately owned, still operates at the other end of the lake). Every winter most of the lake is emptied, only to be refilled quickly in the Spring with run off.

It's interesting to note that part of the lower village of Hillsborough was flooded to make Lake Franklin Pierce, and lot in the lake was the birthplace of President Franklin Pierce. However, his childhood home is still open as a museum in Hillsborough. Also in the lake is a beautiful stone bridge, visible only during the winter months.

I recently purchased a small cabin on the lake. I was intrigued when I noticed that the pipes that supply the hydro station were leaking! But even more interesting was to find that the old pipes (that were being replaced) were made of wood. (they appeared to me to be rusted metal when in place). Using wood for this type of pipe was actually quite common at one time. Certainly you can see that there is a LOT of wood around.

Slowly the pipe is being replaced, over a course of years, and I only hope that some of the old pipe is saved for history! It should be noted that Jackman Shores has much of the 1926 equipment, which works just fine I'm told. Green energy will ensure that Jackman Shores (and Franklin Pierce Lake) stay in business for many years to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C774fAyCt7Y
Old 3rd May 2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Youse people don't got duct tape?
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

New York's first municipal water system (founded by Aaron Burr) used mains of hollowed-out logs. They occasionally dig one up, and yes, some are preserved in museums.

Also, most of the water tanks that are required to be on the roofs of NYC buildings over 6 stories tall are wood barrels, constructed much like the Hillsborough pipes.

Also, I've reported kitty to the Department of Homeland Security because of her "casing" of critical infrastructure.

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links

Last edited by Gravy; 3rd May 2008 at 05:40 PM.
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2008, 05:28 PM   #4
kittynh
The Hupsu Detective

auctioneer

I wish I had a photograph of the leaks when they freeze. It's pretty cool looking.

but we are now entering the fiberglass age. I'm thinking total cracking and failure the first hard winter....
Old 3rd May 2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

Location: Trying to decide whether to set defenses against an army, or against mole rats.
East Maui Irrigation still uses the original wooden flumes to transport water. If any of you brave forumites ever venture out this way, I know the trail to get out to the neatest stretch of the flume where you are about 12 feet off the ground, going through a tree fern forest.

http://www.hcsugar.com/hist_ditch.html

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2008, 11:52 AM   #6
kittynh
The Hupsu Detective

auctioneer

ohhhh I'm so going out to visit you sometime.

I'll just show up with my sunblock.
Old 4th May 2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

Location: Trying to decide whether to set defenses against an army, or against mole rats.
Originally Posted by kittynh View Post
ohhhh I'm so going out to visit you sometime.

I'll just show up with my sunblock.

Only sunblock? Well, I do know of a few nude beaches . . .

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology