JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags dna , forensics

Old 9th May 2008, 05:38 AM   #1
EvilSmurf
JREF Bowl Pool Champion

Can you get testable DNA from...um....fecal matter?

A few of my coworkers were telling me a situation that happened at this workplace about a year ago (before I had started working there). Someone defecated in an area of the plant which is not reserved for such as an activity (i.e. it was not in the restrooms, and was in an area of the plant far from the rest room). They were telling me the supervisors were threatening to DNA test the fecal matter and take DNA of everyone who worked there to find out who it was. Which led me to the question in the title of the thread. So, can you?
Old 9th May 2008, 06:11 AM   #2
fls
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EvilSmurf View Post
A few of my coworkers were telling me a situation that happened at this workplace about a year ago (before I had started working there). Someone defecated in an area of the plant which is not reserved for such as an activity (i.e. it was not in the restrooms, and was in an area of the plant far from the rest room). They were telling me the supervisors were threatening to DNA test the fecal matter and take DNA of everyone who worked there to find out who it was. Which led me to the question in the title of the thread. So, can you?
That doesn't really sound legal, but IANAL. DNA testing is more accurate if you have a specific suspect.

However, part of the fecal material is cells shed from the lining of your gut. It might be a bit trickier than other samples (relatively low concentration of your own cells vs. other material and microbes), but it can be done.

Linda
Look how nicely I'm not reminding you you're dumb.-Happy Bunny
When I give an example, do not assume I am excluding every other possible example. Thank you.
fls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2008, 06:15 AM   #3
EvilSmurf
JREF Bowl Pool Champion

Originally Posted by fls View Post
That doesn't really sound legal, but IANAL. DNA testing is more accurate if you have a specific suspect.

However, part of the fecal material is cells shed from the lining of your gut. It might be a bit trickier than other samples (relatively low concentration of your own cells vs. other material and microbes), but it can be done.

Linda
IANAL either but I'd assume if they did it on a "voluntary" basis (taking note of who didn't volunteer) it would be legal.
Old 9th May 2008, 06:17 AM   #4
VulcanWay
Thinker

I imagine it wouldn't be cheap either, so I'd seriously doubt that it's more than a bluff.
VulcanWay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2008, 06:25 AM   #5
MaryCBW
Scholar

Strange, but I just had a thought. I saw a case where the dad killed his young son. They found vomit in the truck and they found cereal but could not check for DNA. I don't remember details but there is something in vomit that kills DNA. I'm wondering if fecal material is the same way or not or are the cells in there not affected.
MaryCBW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2008, 06:29 AM   #6
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Yes, it is possible, even when the poop is 14Ky-old.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7329505.stm

Now, regarding the specific case you cited, technical aspects aside, when it comes to costs and the legal aspects I have no iea.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2008, 06:43 AM   #7
sadluxation
Critical Thinker

This happens all the time in the lab I work at (not the situation, but the testing type).
It is possible to get good DNA extracts from stools as the epithelial cells of the culprit would be deposited on the surface of the stool (assuming it's solid), but the DNA processing and analysis is expensive and not worthwhile unless the company can afford it - I doubt it would, unless they have nothing better to do with their time.

Nothing is better than homoeopathy!
sadluxation is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2008, 06:50 AM   #8
MaryCBW
Scholar

Strange, but I just had a thought. I saw a case where the dad killed his young son. They found vomit in the truck and they found cereal but could not check for DNA. I don't remember details but there is something in vomit that kills DNA. I'm wondering if fecal material is the same way or not or are the cells in there not affected.
MaryCBW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2008, 06:53 AM   #9
MaryCBW
Scholar

Dang. My computer and dial up service is way too slow. My first comment was supposed to be 3rd. Sorry.
Old 9th May 2008, 06:53 AM   #10
Diagoras
Unrepentant Francophile

I presume it's probably also not that uncommon to find...hairs...from the fecal extracting area.
Old 9th May 2008, 06:58 AM   #11
sadluxation
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by MaryCBW View Post
I get a strange feeling of deja-vu with this one.
Vomit would be high in acid and enzymes, which would degrade your DNA very rapidly. I'm not sure how much "template" DNA you could get out of it to be useful for STR "DNA Finger printing" analysis and what quality it would be in.
I don't know of any procedures used for this, but in the circumstances, working out what type of breakfast cereal it was would be interesting evidence. If it matched with what was found in the victims house (depending on its popularity) could narrow down the search somewhat.

Nothing is better than homoeopathy!
sadluxation is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology