JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags richard saunders

Old 30th July 2008, 04:41 AM   #201
Legend
Focu Meu!

PBTree

I've only been here for a few days now and I've developed a strong dislike of your ridiculous self-righteous and know-it-all assumptions.

I'm sorry if I came off rude but for you to assert that Richard did a bad job or unaffective job like that is rude itself.

I've recently submitted a review of the show to JR for a SWIFT article.

The most recent episode was an absolute joke and it's just sad that people believe that. The round-a-bout guessing and the way that they danced around the entire anatomy of each subject wand eventually got 'near the area' which was causing trouble.

Basically there were TWO definitely correct guesses. The stroke one, which as Richard pointed out, can be attributed to the lean that the man had and his delayed blinking in one eye and drooped face on one side. The other was the 'tingly foot' which amazingly had NOTHING TO DO WITH A MEDICAL PROBLEM but instead was a sensation that the person was having on stage! How unreal, quickly everyone tell the world, the man has a TINGLY FOOT! A TINGLY FOOT! And the psychic GOT IT RIGHT! Oh my dear Lord! Tell the people.

Cheers,
Alex.
Legend is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2008, 05:31 AM   #202
AndyD
Muse

Quote:
AndyD, thanks for writing that blog,...
You're welcome. If nothing else, it's given me a momentary purpose in life

One thing I didn't mention earlier was the encouragement Richard got from the audience when he suggested the stroke sufferer was leaning. As Stacey was starting to diss him, he turned to the audience and asked "am I right?" and there was audible support.

Nicely done Richard and one point to Channel Seven for actually including it.

Half a point extra for Daddo effectively asking Stacey if psychic powers were much use if no one could understand or measure them. This is when she chose not to answer but instead said "you can't measure love".
AndyD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2008, 11:47 PM   #203
athon
Philosopher

I've not been on the forums much of late, for many reasons. One major reason is that over the seven-odd years of being on the forum, and the years I've spent researching science communication and education in critical thinking (which includes a lot of homework on why people believe in pseudoscientific and paranormal claims), I've learned a few things. One is that while communities such as this one are fantastic for support and dissemination of information, there is a lot of ignorance on how to address educating people in matters of skepticism and critical thinking.

You're hardly alone here, PB, but you're a perfect example of somebody who has an unrealistic and uninformed view on how to communicate skepticism to the public.

Originally Posted by PBTree View Post
Point taken but that just shows neither of us is winning.
There is no 'winning' or 'losing'. It isn't a dichotomy, and it isn't a war. There is a vast spectrum of people who have a vast spectrum of beliefs for a range of reasons. To think it is about winning over believers is fairly ineffective.

There is, however, communicating an approach in a fashion that makes it appealing. Skeptics in the past have adopted a rather negative public image, one that is automatically labelled as 'disbeliever'. Most people don't get the fact that being skeptical means being a non-believer, which is a subtly different thing. Richard's approach of showing that skepticism is about being truly open minded while demanding good evidence does more good for other skeptical communicators than adopting the old hard-arse approach many have used before.

The show is biased from the start. Richard is well aware of the way media works on this level. The way the show is set up means there is an eventual winning entrant - there is no illusion that this is anything but a freak-show which plays the ol' 'mysterious psychic' drawcard. If given the option of no skeptic at all, of one of the old-guard cynical 'grumpy ol' farts' or Richard, in my opinion Richard's approach would be the one to gain the most benefit in the long run.

Quote:
Obviously my comments are a bit too acid (grumpy old man syndrome), so I will apologise and refrain from any further comment.
I don't feel apologies are necessarily warranted, and I don't mean to single you out. It's as common as muck around here (although there are some shining examples of skeptical communication as well). But the acerbic, aggressive approach of skepticism has done little good in the past.

Quote:
The point I was trying to make (badly it seems) is that being able to shoot you down and make you look baffled on either of those shows, is probably worth much more to them than proving their ridiculous claims.
To those who are hard-boiled believers, sure. The strict social thinking of such beleivers puts them beyond discussion anyway. Yet most of the population don't reflect that, and Richard's approach works well in reaching them.

For people like me, whose job it is to teach critical thinking, Richard's approach is a breath of fresh air that enables me to discuss skepticism far more easily than if Richard dogmatically asserted his 'disbelief'.

Athon

Last edited by athon; 30th July 2008 at 11:49 PM.
athon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2008, 11:53 PM   #204
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well said.
Old 31st July 2008, 01:17 AM   #205
Richard
Muse

You cannot measure love you know......

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

and Mystery Investigators
http://www.mysteryinvestigators.com
Richard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2008, 01:25 AM   #206
Legend
Focu Meu!

All I'm going to say is that when I saw what Charmaine said on Tuesday...I laughed my head off. It was so hilarious how she tried to save her wrong guess.

"It was knocking me back". What was? There was no ghost part to this anyway.

Alex.
Legend is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2008, 03:29 AM   #207
nettiemoore
Thinker

Originally Posted by Richard View Post
You cannot measure love you know......
Excuse #45980 from The Psychics' Book of Pooh Pooh!
nettiemoore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2008, 05:04 AM   #208
Richard
Muse

Someone has been busy with youtube! Most if not all of THE ONE.

http://tinyurl.com/5rkvkj

Richard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2008, 02:35 PM   #209
nettiemoore
Thinker

Hat tip for the above YouTube channel -- I sent the link to Richard but I saw it on AndyD's blog -- so thanks Andy for finding it!
nettiemoore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2008, 04:12 AM   #210
AndyD
Muse

No problem at all, glad to do my bit. I'll repeat my request here that we treat the Youtuber politely as this is a useful resource for us.

Podblack has made a suggestion on her blog that we text a vote for Richard to Channel Seven:

PH: 191977 text the name: RICHARD

I don't know if this will even work since I've never texted (if that's a word I hate it) anyone and so l know nothing about it It does cost of course (~70c ?) and will likely lead to nothing useful but if anyone feels inclined to mess with the heads of the Channel Seven crew, then give it a go.
AndyD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2008, 04:32 AM   #211
Jonquill
Critical Thinker

Okay, I'll send a text, when can we do it, now? Or is there a voting time?
Jonquill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2008, 06:37 AM   #212
AndyD
Muse

I don't know the times. If I find out I'll post but I'd assume until Monday?

I've just posted my latest article questioning Channel Seven's decision to turn the Falconio murder/mystery into a game show for talentless hacks (they promote it as "the challenge Australia has been waiting for").
Old 2nd August 2008, 07:29 AM   #213
Jonquill
Critical Thinker

Done, got auto message thanking me for it too.

Last edited by Jonquill; 2nd August 2008 at 07:37 AM.
Jonquill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2008, 07:49 AM   #214
ScottXSI
Scholar

Hahahaha I just texted in my vote for Richard as well. I wonder if they will acknowledge the votes on air.
ScottXSI is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2008, 12:50 PM   #215
nettiemoore
Thinker

Originally Posted by ScottXSI View Post
Hahahaha I just texted in my vote for Richard as well. I wonder if they will acknowledge the votes on air.
Don't hold your breath -- the whole thing has finished filming. They filmed three different endings depending on who wins so it's all pre-recorded. I imagine Daddo is already in China preparing for his Olympics hosting gig.

I voted for Richard too -- it will have no effect and it's just giving them money which is what the whole thing is about but it made me feel good to do it.
Old 4th August 2008, 03:26 AM   #216
AndyD
Muse

Ahhh, that explains Richard's comment a couple of weeks back when he said it was done.

Can you confirm my suspicion that at least five, and probably all seven, contestants took part in the Falconio fiasco even though we'll presumably see only three?
Old 4th August 2008, 12:29 PM   #217
nettiemoore
Thinker

We only saw brief snippets of the Falconio travesty in the studio -- projected on the big orb, no less -- featuring only the three. Whether more of them went up there, I have no idea. I saw no indication of it.
Old 4th August 2008, 05:14 PM   #218
Richard
Muse

Final show airs tonight... here is a segment from morning TV here in Australia.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Old 4th August 2008, 05:49 PM   #219
PeterB
Thinker

Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Final show airs tonight... here is a segment from morning TV here in Australia.
I'm gagging! I don't know how much more of this I can take.
PeterB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2008, 05:54 PM   #220
Richard
Muse

Here is a radio interview I did this morning. Nice folks, on our side.

I AGREE

Old 4th August 2008, 07:59 PM   #221
AndyD
Muse

This morning's Sunrise piece was just another credulous promotion of the psychic industry.

One supposedly independent stranger is read, on the quiet, by the three remaining contestants and we get a review put forward by the contestants and confirmed by the "stranger".

Charmaine got an "R" and "John" and "it turns out" this is the stranger's father and father-in-law. It's also my brother and nephew but that's another story.

In the end, if I heard correctly, the supposed stranger is a Reikii practitioner so we had four believers claiming credibility for something we didn't even get to see first hand.

As Orac says, "the stupidity, it burns".
Old 4th August 2008, 11:03 PM   #222
nettiemoore
Thinker

OK, I am putting up all my notes for the finale. It will take a bit because they never shut up, plus deciphering my scrawl after a few weeks is almost a supernatural act in itself.

Notes:
-- obviously it is difficult to get stuff down especially all the non-verbal cues flying back and forth. I have sometimes noted particularly obvious cases of nodding etc. Also, the audience was specifically directed to answer yes/no. The odd thing I just can't decipher. I was scribbling so hard.

The comments after "--" are things said by the "sitter". I can't claim it is absolutely everything but it is pretty close. "??" is a shortcut for some expression of puzzlement, shaking head or verbal. They were pretty much all believers some quite desperate to make hits so you can assume there was a lot more feedback that what I am able to convey.

They each had I think 10 minutes for these audience readings.

Charmiane -- First Reading

#1 Picks a middle aged lady in the front row (again encouraged to answer yes/no while she is being miked)

Father figure in spirit
-- father

"funny type of bloke", hard to understand, pushed family away, did not get to say goodbye

smoker, lungs affected
--heart, stroke

fluid on lungs
-- "oh, I didn't know that"

two kids
a William
- ??
Look up when you go home

younger person in spirit
-- not grandchild or child "not that I'm aware"

being shown a baby, might not be a child in spirit, might mean someone had a baby or was pregnant at time of death
-- could be husband's sister's daughter (ie niece)

father, tall build not fat but not Arnie
-- very solid

somebody with him who passed with cancer relates to you or him
-- ????

used to wear a cap constantly
the type who goes down the back and you don't see him all day

Robert? Bob?
-- brother

Lyn? Linda? Len?
-- Leonie, husband's brother's wife

Passed?
-- no, divorce (my notes say here "not Kylie??" don't know what that means!)

Darryl? Darren?
-- neighbour who passed

quieter man
anger over death
treated unfairly
you were like family, fed his dog/cat

he thanks you
-- yes (nodding throughout this)
smaller frame
fastidious
yard immaculate
Old screen door
he was proud

had pepper, peppertree, chili
-- orchids

grew vegetables

cancer
-yes

didnt get to say goodbye, in hospital

daughter Marg? Mary?
-- sisters? (neighbours)

liked lollies/licorise -- him or you?

Say hello to Steve, Stephanie, St-name
-- ???? don't think he had children

Someone around him/her (notes unclear) religious, someone carrying Bible

is grandmother in spirit?
-- yes

religious?
-- yes

Stern but nice, definately someone you don't cross
-yes
not small woman
--yes
Thinks a lot about what others think

Patty? Penny? P-name?
-- friend of sitter

Beryl? Nell?
-- Beryl?

appreciated Royal family
--yes

she is telling you you are unsure if you are going in the right direction spiritually

man brown cards (cardigan?) he liked her but never said so
he was tough because he had to give lessons
husband youngest son
-- yes

blonde when young

husband getting like his father
--yes

message to not copy dad

father in law drinker?
--no

husband drinker
-- no

A- name? G- name? Allen?
-- no

Your spirit journey is perfect, Darryl is a big supporter

your birthday July/August?
-- daughter's birthday

Darryl have gnomes?
-- no

ornaments?
-- orchids?
Old 4th August 2008, 11:22 PM   #223
nettiemoore
Thinker

Notes:
In the discussion with Daddo the host after Charmaine's time much was made of the fact the first sitter's name is Joy Anne and Charmaine had mentioned a "J-N" name but as you can see that related to the second women and was to do with dates (January, June) not anyone's name! Just goes to show how the memory can screw things up in a matter of minutes.
---

Charmaine #2 (goes to other side of the audience)
-- woman, 20s-30s

Tip toe through the tulips song
-- sing it sometimes

Mother figure in spirit
your mum?
Groovy girl, liked loud music

(again reminded to say yes/no "nice and clear")

You have a younger sister?
--no

older?
-- no

Sandra?
-- me (sitter's name)

Mum great teacher
not always positive
likes everything to be just right

didn't get to say goodbye
-- yes

Coughs, lungs affected

She wants you to know it doesn't matter
You speak to her and she hears you
Your mum is buried
-- no

You were regular with flowers
something important with burial

E-C name?
-- Dell? grandmother

Mum and Dell didn't always see eye to eye

small flowers not roses/ crysanthanums, maybe daisies. You planted something for your mother
-- haven't done it yet but want to

Wendy? Wayne? W-name
-- Uncle Wayne, not passed

Dosn't see him much
-- no

been crook
-- yes? (doesn't really know)

Mum passed suddenly
-- no

She won't tell me, I won't push her

J-N name? Jen?
-- don't know

Wayne's wife
-- none. girlfriend?

Cancer

dark hair when younger
-- when I (sitter) was younger

dad and her (mum) had funny things going on, didn't always get on. "mongrel", a cross she had to bear

Who's a nurse?
-- grandmother

Dell, more fastidious, picking up on her every move

Telling me someone passed suddenly with heart attack
-- yes but not recent

2 children in spirit
--yes

Elizabeth?
-- dont know, early child

Who surfs/lifesaves?
-- not now, brother did years ago

Brother's birthday soon or his child's?
- they are Jehovah's Witnesses, no birthdays

another celebration then

Husband into motorbikes or mechanics?
--no

someone around you?
-- no

kids?
-- no, far from it

seeing mechanic things

"I'm really fizzing with you!!"

you have a daughter?
--no

son?
-yes

J...n.. Birthday 16th or June
-- father 16th Jan

Still here?
--yes

he doesn't believe in this stuff
--doubt it

been down since mum passed, his down

you are estranged?
-- not estranged, lives far away

selling up, relocating,change
-- recently

he was with your mum at the end?
--no

SS name, Ross, Melissa
-- not that I can think of

"I'm fading away"
Old 4th August 2008, 11:38 PM   #224
nettiemoore
Thinker

And now, Amanada. aka The World's Worst Cold Reader. At east the gaping minutes of silence make for shorter transcriptions.
--

Amanda

-- she has two people already chosen. Described as "chosen at random" and yet also "asked for volunteers"

middle aged woman, 40s-50s
-- yes a believer

What's your name?
-- (I did not hear the answer, was watching in the green room with the contestants' friends and family and great laughter for some reason, not connected to Amanda. I don't think.)

Your third eye is quite open, a lot of upset stomachs, does that make sense? bloating feeling, stiff neck
When you are flustered you move a lot and move your heard and hands alot --> leads to stiff neck

You wake up not refreshed
-- that's true

Aching in tops of thighs b/c you stand a lot on legs during day
-- at work

emotion of searching
feel connection to younger male
do you have a son?
-- yes

Does this make sense? You are always searching for his path
-- (nod)
you are trying to help to a degree of controlling

he doesn't have a lot of control of his life at the moment?

not making sense to her, will ask spirit guide to help her out

Do you have a granddaughter?
-- no but I have a young friend

8?
-- 9? I met her when she was 8

Daisy or D (another D name I cant read)
-- Daisy, dog in spirit

Daisy plays with her, having fun with this child

Older woman in spirit?
Colleen, Collette C-name?
-- Caroline

older, soft curls, does this make sense
-- (blank look)

"I'll leave that with you"

"She brings the blue sweater." Might make sense to you later.

Colleen is very persistent, grandparent?
-- (blank look) Might be great grandparent, doesn't know name

No, you know this person, "asking them to give speciifc info to help you"

Might have to stop the reading.

Man around you with full beard.
Richard?
Clarry?

Going to leave it there. "Let me know if you realise who Richard is."
Old 4th August 2008, 11:52 PM   #225
nettiemoore
Thinker

Amanda #2 -- Marina, 40s/50s

"Marina, come forward" (knew name already)

left eye more than right, glasses
-- no

That's what causes the headaches

Problem with ears when child
-- my brother did

Bottom row, back teeth
-- yes

Teeth also causes issues with dryness in throat

Blood pressure jumps up and down
-- yes

Back problems, too many years of heels

You have to watch what you eat, bowel problems

watch your wheat

Houseful of people around you, you would like more peace of quiet.

A lot of males around you, son, husband and they talk over the top of each other. Does that make sense to you?

You are a lot strong than you give yourself credit for and they were born to learnf rom your strength. That's why they were born.

Skinny young man, started new job, new path, new direction

cars, "cars bring change of direction" or career

Do you know what male?
-- daughter?

No, male. "skinny little one", or maybe about to do that
-- nephew just got a new car

about to change jobs
-- yes

change in direction, concerning his mother but he is on the right path

A- name
-- Anthony, old brother
(my notes say "was going to say Angela before the woman answered" just my impression) [In feedback after the woman said Anthony was her cousin not brother. She got confused.]

he is the one to worry about. he has great love to give
-- he has a baby

the love just pours out of his heart

Hw is quite concerned about the little one. His partner is stronger than him emotionally. His mother will worry about him but it will all be fine.

There will be a concern with their family, but he will worry about it more than it is worth

Cape something? Cape Cod ... destination?

Is it your husband who is the gardener?
-- NO (emphatic)

Little shovel to plant in garden
-- I dream about a garden

Maybe he needs to spend more time in the garden

Specific messages:
You have sych peace in your heart and you give that to many you touch, more people than you know. You are one of the angels. God bless you.

Last edited by nettiemoore; 5th August 2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:03 AM   #226
nettiemoore
Thinker

So, because Amanda was s terrible the producers must have realised they had little material so they got her back for a THIRD reading and specifically told her to pick a male (all the other readings were females, who made up about 90% of the audience). Sadly this also was terrible so I am v. interested to see the editing magic at work.

--
Amanda #3

Male, 30s, Maori/Islander/NZ accent

What's your name?
-- James

Bad right shoulder, goes up to your neck with headaches, whole back thrown out
-- yes

tonsils, this part of throat
-- no

Have you ever had problems with your throat? Feels like been hit
-- as a child was hit in neck

Have trouble connecting to people, but have a big heart, people get put off by you but they adore you. You don't believe in yourself enough.

You could do with a good massage

Cookie jar?
-- I put money in it but other than that, no idea

"look in the cookie jar"

Bottom row of teeth cause grief
-- yes

Person around you who throws negativity on you because they know you can take it, they speak down to you.
-- I do

Older brother or brother figure

Don't worry, its not against you, just letting go of steam

Factory job, lifting

Have you just changed jobs?
-- just shop his shop

No, no a factory ... what's the word .... bgger than normal shop where you store things

change career or job or thinking of moving to pbigger premises
-- yes

OK that's it.

Thumbs up, its the right time now

Is it around the corner or not far?
-- I used to live at my shop, but have moved 40kms away

It is the right move

That's all they have to tell you. Love yourself more.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:15 AM   #227
nettiemoore
Thinker

Ezio
woman, 50s
encourages yes/no responses

Gentleman, problem with lung/breathing. Was that dad?
-- yes

He wants to talk about some things untoward with your own health. In life he would have thought I was a charlatan.

Dave? David D-name.
-- no
Think about it.

Have you been getting shoulder pain?
-- yes

Person passed as a younger child.
Bill?
-- another relative called Bill

Was Bill losing some hair?
-- yes

Card players?
-- yes

Dad liked to drink?
-- yes

Who is W initial? Warren? Wayne?
-- William was his second name

Father, he loves you.

Changing? Moving house?
-- yes

Are you a hoarder?
--yes

Did you clean his stuff out after death?
-- no, his new wife

Showing me women.

James, Jamie
-- friend of mine

Spirits see you with a friend

Something going on with the phones?
-- no, but 3 months ago there was something

He feels he didn't do enough, stand offish.
-- yes
Old 5th August 2008, 12:26 AM   #228
nettiemoore
Thinker

Then Ezio "is drawn to" a certain part of the audience and tries to find a "Ryan connection, surname or relative's name. And gets nothing. Says, I guarantee that afterwards 20 people will come up and tell me of a connection afterwards" (Skeptics, Well, DUH dude thats what WE'VE been saying all along ...!)

Finally a young woman 20s/30s puts us out of misery.

She has a living nephew called Ryan.

-----

Gentleman passed, heart area?
-- yes grandfather.

Father's side?
-- both sides

Stoic gentleman. Did you know him?
-- no

Did they tell you he was stoic?
-- "pretty much"

Ryan his grand son, great grandson?
-- different side of family

Tall one, short one. Stoic and happy go lucky (the two granddads I believe he's talking about)

Older person with hip problem?
Is that grandma?
Trouble walking?
-- yes

European connection?
-- Maltese

Ah, I didn't understand the language, It sounded a bit like Italian.

Relationship issues?
-- yes

M, Maria, Maree, Mary, M initial
I'll let it go if you are not sure

Need to do/change study. Is this for you?
-I think so.

You are exploring options

Knee problems (grandmother)
-- she was paralysed, couldn't walk

English not big language

Chickens?
-- I think at one stage

Keen in garden and house

Renovations but not you. A brother?
-- no brother

Young male,nephew or cousin?
-- I am building a house

Has a water feature been on your mind?
-- no a fishtank

No, not a fishtank

Who is the man heavily involved in the building?
-- my husband

Another gentleman, passed with cancer. Uncle or similar. 10-14 years ago. Go and double check.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:37 AM   #229
nettiemoore
Thinker

Ezio #3

Looking for someone with a "Joe" connection

20s female volunteers, her best friend is Joanna
----

Woman passed with cancer, was that grandma?
-- no has stomach cancer but not passed

Cancer, breast or chest area? At least 20 years

Overseas connection to your family?
-- yes

She's telling me about the stomach

Who has arthritis?
-- grandmother

A lot of people worried about grandma passing but not yet

Big, large lady, could be mother
-- yes

What connection with river?
-- she lives by water

Rose, Rosa, R initial
-- Regina

Pest problem in house, mice
-- not sure
Check

Trying to get through that you want to change directions and she is proud of you, you need to be more creative

Who's George?
-- he was a friend, he is living

Is that an ended friendship?
-- yes

She was showing me separation

What to do with keys?
-- car was fixed, now broken again

Teacher, blackboard
-- I'm studying
Thumb's up for that

Lack of minerals and vitamins, feeling run down?
-- probably stress

Young male, interested in cars
- younger brother and father, and older brother, fascination with cars

Who has recently moved?
-- My brother

She looks after him

You and your brother are different people, chalk and cheese

Legal documents for you. Contracts?
-- nothing at the moment

Might be to do with studying
-- maybe
Step back, before you sign anything

Tony or Anthony?
-- family friend

You have tried to manage your time better and get good at that
Old 5th August 2008, 12:47 AM   #230
nettiemoore
Thinker

Ezio #4

Ezio fishes for a volunteer who has "a Harry connection associated with a Jim."

Volunteer's great grandmother's husband was a Jim and she has a uncle Harry. It took forever to get this volunteer.
--

They were glad you spoke up

Somebody's birthday around this time
-- coming up

Who was Elizabeth/Betty?
problem with ticker?
-- yes (looks not sure)

Aunt

She is showing me an accident, someone injured in a car accident
-- "I know about a car accident"

Who?
-- friend/husband

Piece of jewelery chain/bracelet. Did that pass between you and lady who had accident?
-- (blank look)

Jewelly again

Who is K name? Kim, Kerry?
-- 2 friends called Kerry

Friend of accident lady?
-- no

Kim, not ringing a bell?
-- no Kims

Grandmother, heavy built?

Reg, in spirit?
-- name rings a bell but ...

April significant

Bill sends regards
-- yes

Pain in lower stomach today?
-- recently

Hot water bottle will make it better

Other pieces of jewelry, ring in particular

Jewlery box
Family heirloom

Gentleman hard of hearing. Grandfather?
--yes

Didn't wear hearing aid.

George, Jack in spirit
-- yes

A few family secrets she has resolved in spirit, she thinks you know what she refers to

You have a lot of emotional things. Strong on outside, but feels deeply

Writing?
-- letter writing part of job

Allan or A-?
-- Andrew, her son

Living?
-- no

Knee playing up?
-- it can , time to time

.... runs out of time ...
Old 5th August 2008, 02:32 AM   #231
AndyD
Muse

Wow! Thanks nettiemoore. I'll be trawling through these later tonight.

If nothing else, these early notes confirm Amanda's obsession with headaches, teeth and gastric reflux - and Charmaine's inability to home in on anything specific.
Old 5th August 2008, 02:45 AM   #232
nettiemoore
Thinker

It's not letting me edit but I see with the J-N -- it is a name not the date but anyway it is the second woman (Sandra) not the first one (Joy Anne)

The show has started here, I won't spoil the AMAZINGNESSS!!!!!$@#@#@1112! for you west coasters. ;-)
Old 5th August 2008, 03:00 AM   #233
nettiemoore
Thinker

These readings go for about a minute each -- all hits of course. Richard has some good critiques at least.

Ezio: "This journey will make me a better medium" But will it make you a happy medium? Ha ha.
Old 5th August 2008, 03:35 AM   #234
nettiemoore
Thinker

Well thank Christ that's over.

Well sort of. I got into a good convo at work today with someone about cold reading because of it so that was good.

The Falconio thing is just a travesty of course. Since they are all so certain I'm sure they will be devoting themselves fully to this profoundly important search now. In between New Idea columns and FM breakfast shows of course ....

Last edited by nettiemoore; 5th August 2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 5th August 2008, 04:17 AM   #235
AndyD
Muse

Half and hour to wait yet so time for some questions:

What episode were the above notes from? They don't ring any bells at all (probably because it's 80-90% misses) and I don't have ready access to video to check (Youtube takes too long and uses what little bandwidth I have).

Have you got more notes to come? I'm particularly interested in how often Ezio hears "Tony" and sees keys or locks and how often Amanda nearly vomits and feels teeth, throat and head pain?
Old 5th August 2008, 04:44 AM   #236
nettiemoore
Thinker

The notes are for tonight's episode, but you'll have to be quick and make much use of the pause button because it's so cut up and only a small fraction of the statements made it to air. No more since that was/is the finale. I did have notes for a previous episode but didn't get organise enough to post them.

I was surprised they used some of the readings they did and not others but on reflection I think maybe the level of enthusiasm of the sitters in the postreading interviews may have decided it. They wanted the most validation possible for each. Just a thought.
Old 5th August 2008, 04:50 AM   #237
ScottXSI
Scholar

Damn I missed it. Going to have to rely on youtube now.
ScottXSI is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 05:45 AM   #238
AndyD
Muse

I'm glad I found your notes before I watched, it shed a whole new light on just how ridiculously severe the editing was and how plainly closed-minded Demarco's comments were when she went on about hit after hit knowing full well the reads were numerous AND atrocious.

Blogging soon.
Old 5th August 2008, 05:55 AM   #239
Richard
Muse

I was at the party for the last show will all the contestants. We laughed and acted like civilized people. Now, it is up to you all to judge for yourself if I have aided or harmed our common goal of science and reason.

Old 5th August 2008, 08:24 AM   #240
Wildy
Adelaidean

Location: Australia, not that you'll read the "location" field.
It was amazing to see how scientific this show was.

I mean beyond Richard there wasn't that much. Unless a phone vote for who people think was the best psychic is deemed scientific by 7.

I think though, it would been so much easier to understand the show if it was on 9.

Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal