IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st July 2008, 09:01 PM   #1
MarkyX
Master Poster

Idiotwars.com

This seems to be a tad bit interesting:

http://www.idiotwars.com/

I have no idea who runs this place but I'm liking the site already
Old 21st July 2008, 09:39 PM   #2
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Yah, although too short. Love the Banner.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:30 AM   #3
krelnik
Graduate Poster

I like it too, though he does seem to be a bit of an AGW denier.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 01:11 AM   #4
mrbaracuda
Banned

Just read the bit about Bushitler crap. Good read.
mrbaracuda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:10 AM   #5
MikeW
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MarkyX View Post
I have no idea who runs this place...
Dave Nalle, it seems.
MikeW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 05:19 AM   #6
Peephole
Master Poster

Originally Posted by krelnik View Post
I like it too, though he does seem to be a bit of an AGW denier.
Conspiracy theories on an anti-conspiracy theory site?

Does not compute.
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Par
Master Poster

Quote:
To actually stop or reverse climate change [which “is not certain, and is described in even in the IPCC report as only ‘likely’”] might require the total destruction of industrial civilization as well as the extermination of at least half the human population.

Extraordinary. Doesn’t Alex Jones himself prattle on about mass exterminations?
Old 22nd July 2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Dave Nalle
New Blood

This is a serious misrepresentation of the article on GW on IdiotWars.com. It is not an endorsement of a conspiracy, merely expression of concern over the stiffling of dissent and scientific inquiry on the issue. Believers in GW behave in a cultlike/religious manner and actively persecute unbelievers, which is out of keeping with basic principles of scientific inquiry. The article is not about whether or not GW exists, but whether it is right to stiffle speech and research on the subject.

Very different from Alex Jones who thinks that Global Warming is alternately a globalist plot or perhaps some sort of super weapon that is deliberately increasing the temperature of the earth for nefarious reasons.

Dave
Dave Nalle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Dave Nalle
New Blood

Writing for IdiotWars.com

And since there's a thread here, let me add that we're looking for writers for IdiotWars.com. There are some basic guidelines in the 'About' section of the site, but we're basically looking for fact and common sense based articles addressing the fallacies of conspiracies and popular myths and misconceptions.

The site is not solely limited to debunking conspiracies, and we want to put more emphasis on common sense than on pure technical arguments. We also like to include an element of humor whenever possible.

All writers will be well paid in 'Amero' currency.

BTW, check out our latest article on Bohemian Grove.

Dave
Idiotwars.com
Dave Nalle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 04:47 PM   #10
mrbaracuda
Banned

Can someone tell me what the New Blood is talking about?
ETA: Referring to #8.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited by mrbaracuda; 22nd July 2008 at 04:55 PM.
mrbaracuda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 05:44 PM   #11
OldTigerCub
Striped Shapeshifting Reptoid

Great looking site, Dave! It looks like you are off to a great start!
...and welcome to the forum!

I almost feel guilty about quoting a bit from the latest post but I have to, as it seems to fit right in with a long running thread:

Quote:
It’s summer and that means it’s Bohemian Grove season once again. Time for the elite to get naked, have gay sex and make human sacrifices to a giant owl totem just as they have been doing since the days of the cavemen when the whole elitist conspiracy thing began.
(bolding mine)

It's been a banter month for CT cartoons, and somehow I can just feel a "Big Owl" strip in the making.

(cue Horatius... again....)
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:32 PM   #12
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Welcome Dave!

You may want to PM R.Mackey as he has had a few white papers posted here that he may be willing to put up on your site.

Example.
Another example.
Old 23rd July 2008, 01:27 AM   #13
eromitlab
Muse

Good stuff, but it's just not faithful to the infowars experience without a bajillion ads plastered everywhere.
Old 23rd July 2008, 06:59 AM   #14
Dave Nalle
New Blood

Ads

Amusingly, that article was also posted to blogcritics.org which does have massive ad development, and the keyword linking for the ads caused it to pull an ad for "Anton LaVey Ringtones" complete with a creepy picture and everything. That's what I get for mentioning Satan twice, I guess.

Dave
Old 24th July 2008, 07:23 PM   #15
Peephole
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Nalle View Post
The article is not about whether or not GW exists, but whether it is right to stiffle speech and research on the subject.
Yet, at the same time you have no problem "stifling speech and research" on conspiracy theories, calling them "the nuts of the lunatic fringe".

Why the hypocrisy when it comes to your own pet conspiracy theory, global warming?

When all the science points to one conclusion, I think it's more than fair -as you do with other conspiracy theories- to mock those who question the scientific theory in question when they're not engaging in the actual scientific debate.

And please, don't insult people's intelligence by claiming you're merely trying to "express concern" whilst using language as "believers in GW behave in a cultlike/religious manner and actively persecute unbelievers" and making points like these:

Quote:
"The focus of global warming supporters has always been more on silencing debate than on proving their arguments. If no one dares speak out against you for fear of losing endowments and being pilloried in the press, the standard of proof for your theories suddenly becomes much easier to meet. Peer review no longer has the same meaning in a climate of fear and intimidation."

"Yet another effort to drape what is essentially a political issue in the mantle of scientific authority, and promote a political agenda and the interests of particular groups at the expense of competing global interests. With this report they’ve raised the stakes and moved farther away from science and deeper into the realm of politically driven opportunistic alarmism."

"No one anywhere, scientist of layman, really believes that the climate carries on forever without change. It gets warmer, it gets colder and patterns of weather shift all the time. Most people can even agree that overall it’s been getting gradually warmer for the last few hundred years. Not surprising since we are coming out of a cooling period which ended in the early modern era."

"Where there is disagreement and where the debate actually does continue, despite the repeated attempts to silence dissent, is over the issue of what role human causation plays in global climate change."

"What is not certain, and is described in even in the IPCC report as only ‘likely’ is that humans are directly responsible for a worldwide trend of global warming."

"To actually stop or reverse climate change might require the total destruction of industrial civilization as well as the extermination of at least half the human population. Virtually no lesser methods could reverse changes which have been building for hundreds of years."

"They are charged to provide “a balanced reporting of existing viewpoints,” yet their sources are restricted solely to those who support the theory of human agency in global climate change. Their methodology is inherently unscientific, because they rule out of consideration any research with results whcih don’t conform to their expected results."

"The IPCC is sponsored by the United Nations and draws on the work of scientists who receive much of their funding from the United Nations and related organizations. Just like any other funding, it comes with subtle strings attached. It’s pro-globalist money and it’s in their interests to keep it coming. The more they can enhance the power of the UN by their research the more the UN will continue to support them."

"Even more than all of this, these climate scientists have an inherent motivation of self-interest in promoting global warming, because if we’re in a climate crisis then we need more climate research and we need to fund more climate research projects and we need more university faculties in climatology and climatologists become more important and better funded and have more job choices, because they are the prophets who will show us the way out of our predicament."

Last edited by Peephole; 24th July 2008 at 07:25 PM.
Peephole is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2008, 07:16 PM   #16
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Originally Posted by Peephole View Post
Yet, at the same time you have no problem "stifling speech and research" on conspiracy theories, calling them "the nuts of the lunatic fringe".

Why the hypocrisy when it comes to your own pet conspiracy theory, global warming?

When all the science points to one conclusion, I think it's more than fair -as you do with other conspiracy theories- to mock those who question the scientific theory in question when they're not engaging in the actual scientific debate.

And please, don't insult people's intelligence by claiming you're merely trying to "express concern" whilst using language as "believers in GW behave in a cultlike/religious manner and actively persecute unbelievers" and making points like these:
I think the point he was trying to make is that there seems to be an increasing trend to lump good-faith sceptics (ie: those trying to objectively understand the pro/con arguments) in with flat-out deniers (those who deliberately ignore the evidence that disagrees with their pre-conceived conclusions).

I also think you just proved his point.

Shameless plug for my website:
Digging Apollo - Excavating the digital archaeology of the Apollo program.
qarnos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2008, 12:25 AM   #17
Dave Nalle
New Blood

So, here it is...

I'm pretty sure that my scoffing at their theories doesn't in any way stifle their speech or restrict their ability to rant on about anything they like. I'm just giving my perspective and if they don't like it they can ignore me. I did manage to get Alex Jones' goat with one of my articles, though. He mentioned me on the air today.

<i>Why the hypocrisy when it comes to your own pet conspiracy theory, global warming?</i>

The first thing you have to learn if you're going to deal with conspiracies rationally is that there while there may not be any great, globe spanning conspiracies, there are people whose intentions run counter to your own and to the general welfare of the public and that there are movements and groups - usually right out in the open - who any rational person will oppose.

As for Global Warming, I'm not convinced by the science and it's hardly unanimous. I'm in the same position as Penn and Teller who addressed the issue on their show ******** this weekend. I don't know if global warming is real and I don't know how large a role humans really play in it and I don't know what we can do about it. But what I do know is a hucksterism and opportunism and blind faith when I see them, and just the dogmatic character of the followers of GW and their political opportunism makes me suspicious of them.

Keep in mind that I drive an alternative fuel vehicle and worked for Al Gore many years ago (I set up the tables and chairs while he invented the internet) and am entirely pro-conservation and minimizing the harm we do to our environment. I'm just skeptical of anything that smells like fanaticism.

Dave
idiotwars.com
Old 28th July 2008, 01:25 PM   #18
Civilized Worm
Graduate Poster

If you're genuinely interested in talking about global warming you should head over to our science subforum where there's usually a thread or two about it.
Civilized Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2008, 01:52 PM   #19
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Welcome to the forum, Dave, we were happy to link you over at SLC. Feel free to let me or JamesB know if you have a post you'd like highlighted; we get about a thousand visitors a day.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2008, 02:41 PM   #20
Calcas
Graduate Poster

Very nice stuff!

I loved the video of "The Onion on 9-11 Conspiracy." If you haven't seen it, it's comedy gold. Scroll down about halfway and look for it on the right.

The lady who married an extraterrestrial and has two kids with him is also worth watching. One of the kids looks just like a guy named Craig Ranke minus the Beatles haircut.
Calcas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2008, 01:08 AM   #21
Dave Nalle
New Blood

Thanks

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Welcome to the forum, Dave, we were happy to link you over at SLC. Feel free to let me or JamesB know if you have a post you'd like highlighted; we get about a thousand visitors a day.
Thanks. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only Republican who finds the conspiratorial fringe irritating. As a libertarian-leaning Republican I encounter so many people who claim to be libertarians or libertarian/republican types yet believe in the craziest things. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't abandon sanity myself.

Dave

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories