IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags barack obama , Obama administration , obama cabinet , political predictions , political speculation

Old 28th July 2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Possible Obama Cabinet-My List

As an Obama supporter, I was just researching who I thought would be the best candidates for Obama's Cabinet if he's elected.

Here's my list. It draws from Senators, Governors, Representatives, with a few oddballs that are none of the above. It includes mostly Democrats, but also a few Republicans. Also, there's one Bush Cabinet member who I believe Obama should keep, at least for a year or two.

Vice President: Bill Richardson
Secretary of State: Joe Biden
Secretary of Defense: Robert Gates
Secretary of Commerce: Bobby Rush
Attorney General: Ed Rendell
Secretary of Agriculture: Bruce Babbitt
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Patty Murray
Secretary of Transportation: Christopher Ward
Secretary of Labor: William Gould
Secretary of Education: Mark Yudof
Secretary of the Treasury: Michael Bloomberg
Secretary of Energy: Ted Kulongski
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Jim Ramstad
Secretary of the Interior: Mark Gearan
Secretary of Veterans' Affairs: Jim Webb

Feel free to debate me on the pros and cons of selecting these people for an Obama Cabinet.
I'd love to hear some other opinions and some alternatives to the people I propose.

Also, I strongly encourage anyone wishing to do a speculative Cabinet list for McCain, in this thread even.

Last edited by Allen773; 28th July 2008 at 07:57 PM.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

He probably won't pick so many sitting senators. And Hillary will definitely stay in the Senate barring a Supreme Court nomination.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
He probably won't pick so many sitting senators. And Hillary will definitely stay in the Senate barring a Supreme Court nomination.
Good point, but Obama was struggling with Appalachian and blue-collar voters against Hillary. If, as Secretary of Labor, she has a good relationship with their unions, he could end up doing far better there if he runs for (hypothetical) reelection in 2012.

And I don't think a half-dozen or so sitting Senators amongst 14 Cabinet members is too many, but I'm no expert.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Allen773
Graduate Poster

I removed Hillary and a couple Senators, Brainster, for a modified list.
Old 28th July 2008, 07:38 PM   #5
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
Good point, but Obama was struggling with Appalachian and blue-collar voters against Hillary. If, as Secretary of Labor, she has a good relationship with their unions, he could end up doing far better there if he runs for (hypothetical) reelection in 2012.

And I don't think a half-dozen or so sitting Senators amongst 14 Cabinet members is too many, but I'm no expert.
I think the point about the sitting Senators is that the Democrats may not want to leave so many seats open and vulnerable, just when they have secured such a solid majority.
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by chipmunk stew View Post
I think the point about the sitting Senators is that the Democrats may not want to leave so many seats open and vulnerable, just when they have secured such a solid majority.
Well, I just removed several of the Senators from the list, so I understand your point and it's likely Obama does too.

Right now, I count a total of 3 open Senate seats and 2 open House seats. This may change as more people post their input.

Last edited by Allen773; 28th July 2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 28th July 2008, 08:06 PM   #7
Allen773
Graduate Poster

By the way, I'd appreciate input on the pros and cons of these people being in Obama's cabinet individually.
Old 28th July 2008, 09:58 PM   #8
SezMe
post-pre-born

Since the only pick that has any chance of affecting the election is the Veep, I'll focus there. I don't see what Richardson brings to the table. As a VP, yeah, he might be great. But it's the election that counts now and Richardson was very weak as a candidate and I don't think Obama wants someone who needs training wheels.

That said, other than excluding HRC, I don't know of a good person for the slot.

If the Edwards rumor proves to be just that, then I'd prefer him as AG. If his small head ran his big head, he's history.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2008, 10:00 PM   #9
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Gotta fit Gary Coleman and David Hasselhoff in there somewhere.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Since the only pick that has any chance of affecting the election is the Veep, I'll focus there. I don't see what Richardson brings to the table. As a VP, yeah, he might be great. But it's the election that counts now and Richardson was very weak as a candidate and I don't think Obama wants someone who needs training wheels.

That said, other than excluding HRC, I don't know of a good person for the slot.

If the Edwards rumor proves to be just that, then I'd prefer him as AG. If his small head ran his big head, he's history.
You may be right. In fact, I was thinking of switching Biden and Richardson around as VP and Sec. of State-and that outcome seems more likely, anyway.
Old 28th July 2008, 10:22 PM   #11
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Update:After more thought, here's my revised list

Vice President: Tim Kaine
Secretary of State: Bill Richardson
Attorney General: Ed Rendell or John Edwards

Last edited by Allen773; 28th July 2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 29th July 2008, 12:08 AM   #12
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Babbitt's something of an antiquity; I could see him over at EPA (because he's currently head of the World Wildlife Fund), but not at Agriculture.

Let me suggest an extremely likely candidate for AG: Janet Napolitano. Two-time governor, term-limited out. Prior US attorney and Arizona Attorney General. Savvy and just conservative enough on issues like immigration to get through confirmation. She's, ahem, a single woman, which is part of the reason why she's not going to be veep (the other of course is that she's from Arizona, which Obama has to write off).

I absolutely think Obama will put her in a major slot.

Of course, if McCain wins, she'll be running for his Senate seat.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 05:59 AM   #13
MaGZ
Philosopher

Quote:
What experience does Bobby Rush have in commerce? I know he was a former Black Panther. Is his commerce experience in the trafficking of drugs and weapons?
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 06:11 AM   #14
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
Update:After more thought, here's my revised list

Attorney General: Ed Rendell or John Edwards
I think it would be a good idea to keep Robert Gates at Defense. Mike Bloomberg as Treasury Sec? That probably would be a step down for him. Also the same for Jim Webb, a step down.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 08:12 AM   #15
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
What experience does Bobby Rush have in commerce? I know he was a former Black Panther. Is his commerce experience in the trafficking of drugs and weapons?
Actually, I think Olympia Snowe would be better.

Bobby Rush might be seen as pandering to the black vote.
Old 29th July 2008, 09:00 AM   #16
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Oh, and MaGZ-everyone here knows the reason why you don't want Bloomberg in the Cabinet.
Old 29th July 2008, 09:01 AM   #17
Allen773
Graduate Poster

My revised list

Secretary of Defense: Jack Reed
Secretary of Commerce: Olympia Snowe
Attorney General: Janet Napolitano
Secretary of Agriculture: Daniel J. Gustafson
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Mike Huckabee

Last edited by Allen773; 29th July 2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 29th July 2008, 09:02 AM   #18
Allen773
Graduate Poster

ETA:*double post*

Last edited by Allen773; 29th July 2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 29th July 2008, 10:07 AM   #19
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Some of your casting is too obvious. Go for some more surprising decisions! I think Secretary of Transportation, for example, would be a challenging yet rewarding role for Bloomberg.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 11:20 AM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chipmunk stew View Post

Not to mention that being a Senator actually is a higher and more powerful position in many ways then being a Department head in DC,and some of the named senators will not give up their seats .
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 11:22 AM   #21
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It seems to me that Wes Clark would be a slam dunk for Defense.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2008, 04:14 AM   #22
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It seems to me that Wes Clark would be a slam dunk for Defense.
That would be a good for the Jews and the warmongers in Israel.
Old 30th July 2008, 04:17 AM   #23
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
That would be a good for the Jews and the warmongers in Israel.
Really? How exactly would it benefit me--a Jew, though not a warmonger in Israel?
Old 30th July 2008, 04:51 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Really? How exactly would it benefit me--a Jew, though not a warmonger in Israel?

And how would it benefit them a lot since the SecDefense cannot really do much in the way of military action without orders from the White House?
Old 30th July 2008, 05:13 PM   #25
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And how would it benefit them a lot since the SecDefense cannot really do much in the way of military action without orders from the White House?
Barack Obama is half-black. To people like MaGZ, blacks and Jews are equivalent.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics