JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » JREF Topics » Million Dollar Challenge
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags mdc , patricia putt , psychics

Old 10th August 2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Pup
Illuminator

Patricia Putt, Psychic

Concerning the proposed test here...

Ms. Putt will be able to see the volunteers' hands for skin color, wrinkles and callouses, and the basic outline of their height and body shape. Not to mention their shoes, unless they're covered by the gown when seated. How direct can the readings be? I'm assuming she can't just say: "You're African-American," "You're over sixty," "You're very tall," "You have calloused hands," etc.

But still, one could use the same clues for readings like "You've often had to deal with racial prejudice" or "You don't think young people today are like they used to be," or "You're self-conscious about your height."

Of course she wouldn't know what characteristic would stand out. For example, the first person at 6'3" might get the height reading, only for her to discover that everyone else is 6'5" or taller. But still, would guessing what characteristics stand out from the norm in the average population and offering short readings based on those, tend to beat 5/10 odds?
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2008, 07:45 PM   #2
RemieV
Lostie, Pirate, Snape Lover

Pup,

This is a good point. I will write into the protocol that she cannot read on the basis of physical appearance.

Thanks!

~Remie

Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur.
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2008, 08:27 PM   #3
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose this is obvious, but I didn't noticed it explicitly mentioned in the protocol: she should not be allowed to mention or comment in any way on the subject's number in the reading.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:19 AM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Here is another test that can be done. This is to ensure the test cannot faked. Before the test is accepted by jref have a practice run using the current protocol. The only difference is that instead of using Ms. Putt some other person is used who has been told to cheat in any way possible. None of the people there will know that it is not Ms. Putt doing the test. If the testers say "Ms. Putt" has passed the test then there is a problem somewhere.

The second problem is what is the probability of getting 5 or more out of 10 right by chance? I suspect the answer is more than 0.001. Can some maths person please answer this question.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2008, 05:26 AM   #5
hopfen
devout agnostic

A pair of mittens might obviate the issue of hand identification.
Old 11th August 2008, 07:37 AM   #6
Pope130
Graduate Poster

I notice that both the testee and the subjects will know their number. This would allow the testee to include an indication of the number in the description. This could be done in several simple ways. For example, by using a key word list with each number one to ten corresponding to word to be used in the description. Or or by starting, say, the fifth word in each description with the corresponding letter, 1=A, 2=B and so on.

This problem could be eliminated by assuring that there is no prior contact between the subjects, and by not displaying the number. The number tag on the subject would be covered when he enters the room. The testee would fill out the description for each subject without knowing the number. After she completes the description the number can be uncovered and then written on the description sheet.

Robert Klaus
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2008, 07:53 AM   #7
Startz
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Here is another test that can be done. This is to ensure the test cannot faked. Before the test is accepted by jref have a practice run using the current protocol. The only difference is that instead of using Ms. Putt some other person is used who has been told to cheat in any way possible. None of the people there will know that it is not Ms. Putt doing the test. If the testers say "Ms. Putt" has passed the test then there is a problem somewhere.

The second problem is what is the probability of getting 5 or more out of 10 right by chance? I suspect the answer is more than 0.001. Can some maths person please answer this question.
It's 0.0016
Startz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2008, 09:06 AM   #8
IXP
Graduate Poster

It may be covered by the no cheating clause at the top but, I think the detailed description should include the fact that Ms. Putt is not allowed to speak or make any gestures that might give away what she is writing while the subject is in the room.

The fact that the subjects can see and hear Ms. Putt bothers me. If there was any collusion between the subjects and the her, there are any number of ways she could signal what whe was writing. The protocol does not state where the subjects will come from, I presume they will be supplied by JREF with no prior knowledge or contact with Ms. Putt, but this still worries me when a $1M is at stake, I would not risk my money on this protocol.

IXP
Old 11th August 2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Pope130
Graduate Poster

I've read my suggestion over, and it still leaves a security hole. If the subjects know what order they are entering the room the same indicators in the descriptions could be used. The only solution I can think of is to make absolutely sure there has been no collusion.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Manduca
New Blood

Startz:

How are you calculating the probability?

Are you using the binomial?

Shouldn't it be this:

(10!/(5!*5!))*(0.1^5)*(0.9^5)=0.001488035

(I can't figure out how to insert an equation, so I wrote it in Excel-speak)
Manduca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 06:19 PM   #11
Manduca
New Blood

Two security improvements come to mind.

Forget the mask, mittens, graduation gown, etc., and put the subject behind a screen. Then the subjects and Ms. Putt cannot see each other, so they cannot transmit any cues visually.

Randomize the copies of the readings given to the subjects afterward to evaluate. This takes care of them knowing where they were in the sequence. Additionally, they could be assigned random hex labels to begin with, e.g. R572JK8. They have to drape the label tag over the screen before they sit down, and retrieve it after Ms. Putt leaves the room.
Manduca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Manduca
New Blood

Answered my own question.

The equation

calculates the probability of exactly 5 correct guesses.

The probability of 5 or more is 0.001634937.

Forgive the intrusion.
Old 12th August 2008, 06:32 PM   #13
dbw
New Blood

I don't know if Ms Putt is reading this but if you are, I think you should just try something similar to the protocol described above... pick truly random people and don't give them any hints. I think you'll find you'll struggle to get 5 right.

If I'm wrong, please tell me!
dbw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 06:42 PM   #14
Startz
Critical Thinker

Smile

Originally Posted by Manduca View Post
Answered my own question.

The equation

calculates the probability of exactly 5 correct guesses.

The probability of 5 or more is 0.001634937.

Forgive the intrusion.
No problem. I'm always grateful for someone checking my math.
Startz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2008, 02:20 PM   #15
Octavo
Master of my own Universe

I'm not sure if I missed it, but shouldn't the bundles of readings that are handed back for identification be mixed up first?
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2008, 04:59 PM   #16
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

Originally Posted by Manduca View Post
Forget the mask, mittens, graduation gown, etc., and put the subject behind a screen. Then the subjects and Ms. Putt cannot see each other, so they cannot transmit any cues visually.

I'm sure that the reason for the masks and gowns is that Ms. Putt has already stated that she cannot perform if the subjects are behind a screen.

Follow me on Twitter! @LossLeader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:28 PM   #17
fromdownunder
Illuminator

From the revised protocol:

Quote:
Fifteen pieces of lined paper numbered 1-10
???

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2008, 06:55 PM   #18
tojohndillonesq
Scholar

Is Patrica Putt interacting on any forum?

Applicants often wander over to engage in the forums. I would love to swap messages with her and hear what she has to say to us.
tojohndillonesq is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2008, 06:13 AM   #19
Toby
New Blood

I don´t really like that poetry part... (not that I don´t like Blake!) The subjects reading the lines are bound to give away some information about themselves (dialect, possibly foreign accent). If all Ms. Putt needs to connect with the "control" is a sample of the subject´s voice, she could do equally well with a list of random syllables (like "Ba, Ma, Ga..." etc.) Or, if the words have to have some meaning, they should be in an extremely foreign language (like, say, Yucagiric or Basque) - or even an extinct (Sumerian, Hittite) or artificial (Esperanto, Volapuk) !
Toby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2008, 06:20 AM   #20
chillzero
Domestic Godless

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I don´t really like that poetry part...
What protocol are you reading? I don't see anything about anything vocal in the protocol proposed.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2008, 06:58 AM   #21
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by chillzero View Post
What protocol are you reading? I don't see anything about anything vocal in the protocol proposed.

See step 6 in the revised protocol at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.p...82#post3969282

Respectfully,
Myriad
Old 28th August 2008, 07:01 AM   #22
chillzero
Domestic Godless

ah. How did I miss that??
Thank you.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2009, 09:16 PM   #23
Klaymore
Critical Thinker

So has this application ever gone anywhere?

A number of posters have raised the possibility of one or more test-subjects collaborating with Ms. Putt. I forsee a different but related problem: After the test is over (and she fails), Ms. Putt will opine that the "random volunteers" are really JREF stooges. So accurate were her readings, she will assert, that all of the subjects were instantly able to recognize their own, and intentionally picked incorrect ones in order to protect the (apocryphal) $1M.

I think it makes more sense to put the subjects behind a screen for the readings, and then, after the readings are over, allow Ms. Putt to view the participants, and match each one with her respective reading. The participants could tuck their numbers down their shirts, and then pull them out simultaneously while holding the numbered readings.

She might still assert some kind of trickery (e.g., that the participants switched numbers subsequent to the original reading), but keeping all of the participants--as well as Ms. Putt--constantly on camera from start to finish should alleviate that hassle.

3) [please check back periodically]

Last edited by Klaymore; 9th January 2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Abuse of English Language (felony); Wanton Disregard of Grammar (misdemeanor); Typing at Unsafe Speed (punishable by fine)
Klaymore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2009, 10:40 PM   #24
RemieV

The protocol is already complete, has been agreed upon by all parties, and the volunteer tester is working on setup. I will let you know when there is a set date for the test.

RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 01:47 AM   #25
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Bump. She has just failed her test. Getting 0 out of 10.

Congratulations to Patricia for even trying. Most applicants do not get that far.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 05:00 AM   #26
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

Yes, congratulations to Ms. Putt for stepping up to the plate.

Another notch in reality's belt.
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 06:40 AM   #27
petre
Muse

I'll certainly throw in with the "congratulations on taking the test" crowd. I believe we've reached the point where we cannot suggest retaking the test after 1 year has passed though (or can applicants still reapply?).
petre is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 07:07 AM   #28
Pope130
Graduate Poster

Congratulations to Patricia Putt, and all involved, for coming up with a clear and workable test for the stated ability. Good job!

Robert
Old 7th May 2009, 07:57 AM   #29
steenkh
Illuminator

Any comments from Patricia?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2009, 06:31 AM   #30
Moochie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Congratulations to Patricia Putt, and all involved, for coming up with a clear and workable test for the stated ability. Good job!

Robert
I congratulate Ms. Putt too. Let us hope her example is taken up by others who might be chary of submitting themselves to this sort of scrutiny. Clearly, the sky didn't fall and Ms. Putt leaves, unsuccessful but with her dignity intact. Well done everyone!

M.

Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2009, 11:45 AM   #31
Lrrr
Stealth Hug Ninja

I agree with all the congratulations. Others that haunt this forum could learn a thing or two about how to create a workable protocol from Ms. Putt.
Old 8th May 2009, 12:35 PM   #32
RemieV

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Any comments from Patricia?
Yes - the article about her comments should post to Swift tomorrow.

Old 8th May 2009, 01:55 PM   #33
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

Thanks for the update.

And thanks to the JREF for banging out another test.
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2009, 09:46 AM   #34
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

Unsurprisingly, yet again, a believer needs her belief to be true, evidence be damned.
Old 11th May 2009, 12:33 AM   #35
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Quote:
"I'm not in the least disappointed that the results did not go my way. I was stunned at first but when normal thought re-entered my head I realised that I was never going to win the barriers presented in the protocol were too much even for me to surmount," Putt said in an e-mail on 8 May 2009.

Putt continued, ""With them [the volunteers] being bound from head to foot like black mummies, they themselves felt tied so were not really free to link with Spirit making my work a great deal more difficult," Putt said.
In other words she had not practiced beforehand to find out if she could pass the test. If she had found out that the clothing would be an issue then that could have been changed to something more suitable. The barriers she mentioned are only ones she agreed to.

Unless she knew beforehand that there was no way she could pass a fair test.

Edit. After reading the comments, most of them say similar things.

Last edited by rjh01; 11th May 2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11th May 2009, 01:02 AM   #36
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

More evidence that it really is just natural empathy/cold reading and The Forer Effect that convinces people they have this kind of paranormal power.

It astonishes me that people can be so convinced that, asked to demonstrate their power using a protocol that eliminates those factors, they readily agree without even doing a dry run beforehand to check that their "powers" really do still "work" under such conditions. And that, faced with the proof that they don't - not even one correct identification! - they still look for explanations other than the obvious one.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2009, 08:59 AM   #37
Profwag
Scholar

I would be very interested in know what Ms. Putt had put down on paper as her readings. Did she get specific with a person such as "You are married with 2 children. Your mother has passed away and your father lives in Chicago." Or were the readings more like "You are considered honest and intelligent. You are shy around strangers but the room just glows when you are around friends?"
I guess my question really is should the volunteers have been able to easily pick out the readings about themselves? One could get a reading and hear things such as how nice and honest of a person they am, and truthfully think so, but in reality they may be dishonest and mean.
Profwag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2009, 09:38 AM   #38
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Profwag View Post
I would be very interested in know what Ms. Putt had put down on paper as her readings. Did she get specific with a person such as "You are married with 2 children. Your mother has passed away and your father lives in Chicago." Or were the readings more like "You are considered honest and intelligent. You are shy around strangers but the room just glows when you are around friends?"
I guess my question really is should the volunteers have been able to easily pick out the readings about themselves? One could get a reading and hear things such as how nice and honest of a person they am, and truthfully think so, but in reality they may be dishonest and mean.
Actually, I do not really like these kinds of protocols.

I know the human element of the test persons is not technically "judging" - and I hope the statistics decrease the probability of a false positive enough - but I'd still prefer a more clear-cut test, e.g. like the dowsing of a cup of water under a bucket or the sending of a playing card to someone else.

Obviously, the test has to refer to the individual claim and I am willing to defer to competent personnel.
Old 11th May 2009, 10:08 AM   #39
NobbyNobbs
Gazerbeam's Protege

The applicant has said that a) she does readings over the phone, and b) she failed because the test subjects were bound. I'm quite surprised that in developing the protocol, the JREF and Ms. Putt didn't agree to do the readings via speakerphone, thus obviating the possibility of visual cues altogether.
NobbyNobbs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2009, 11:21 AM   #40
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

I willing to bet that the JREF proposed a protocol in which the readings were done over the phone or through an opaque screen. I'm also willing to bet that Putt rejected that protocol.

Ward
wardenclyffe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » JREF Topics » Million Dollar Challenge