JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags gangstalking

Reply
Old 17th November 2008, 01:39 PM   #1
LightinDarkness
Master Poster
 
LightinDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,581
Gang stalking paranoia

I have noticed among the conspiracy crowd a recent increase in people claiming that they are being "gang stalked" - basically, they believe that there are tens to hundreds of people hired to "stalk" them (for reasons unknown, they usually believe they have 'exposed' the government or something) by harassing them every time they are out in public.

This is a rather scary phenomena because the claims are similar to paranoid schizophrenia. These people have grouped together online and have formed their own little mini-victim's community and language - they call themselves "targeted individuals."

Of course, anyone who questions them is told they are part of the gang stalking, and no proof or evidence can be offered for the claims. The people who claim they are gang stalked take every day normal events and say that is "proof" that they are gang stalked. For example, if they see the same person that lives around them somewhere else in town, this is proof of gang stalking.

Is the conspiracy crowd now catering to the mentally ill (I guess they always have, but this is a bit extreme), or are these people infiltrating the conspiracy crowd? Any thoughts on this?
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2008, 01:58 PM   #2
neltana
Critical Thinker
 
neltana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 351
For those of you who haven't heard about this before, here is a NY Times article that gives some background:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/fa...pagewanted=all
neltana is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2008, 02:17 PM   #3
gtc
Philosopher
 
gtc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the downunderverse
Posts: 7,114
Those who were just using the movement to further their own agenda (money, fame, anti-Americanism, religious ideology) are moving on because the truth movement is dying. The true-believers have probably exhausted 9/11 and have incorporated it into the wider CT (just as you see few dedicated JFK researchers these days). The suckers who were drawn into 9/11 have wised up and moved on and the lack of publicity means that new punters aren't being drawn into the movement in the same numbers. This just leaves the mentally ill, who have always been a part of the movement but are now the most visible remnant.

That's my guess.
gtc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2008, 02:48 PM   #4
TitanPilot
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2
gang stalking

I had an employee who this year announced that he was a "targeted individual" of gang stalking. In reality he was developing paranoid schizophrenia.

The sad part, besides this brilliant young man's decline, was discovering this online community. Not only are there other people out there who believe they are victims and supporting each other's delusions but there are also people profiting from them. There are scumbags offering seminars for "targeted individuals" and selling various gadgets for their protection.

These people know they are preying on the mentally ill.
TitanPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Trojan_Jockey
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by TitanPilot View Post
I had an employee who this year announced that he was a "targeted individual" of gang stalking. In reality he was developing paranoid schizophrenia.

The sad part, besides this brilliant young man's decline, was discovering this online community. Not only are there other people out there who believe they are victims and supporting each other's delusions but there are also people profiting from them. There are scumbags offering seminars for "targeted individuals" and selling various gadgets for their protection.

These people know they are preying on the mentally ill.
You raise a VERY good point here. The net, for all its great aspects, has also enabled those suffering from paranoid delusions to reinforce each other's beliefs systems. If you are delusional the last you need to do is to talk to other schizophrenics who confirm all your false beliefs.

Again, I suggest this is why CTs are so popular on the net, yet they barely touch people in their daily lives. "Turn off the net and it goes away", as someone said on here.

Also, bear in mind that the peak age for the onset of schizophrenia is late teens, early adulthood, possibly around about the same age as many of the most passionate and paranoid troothers. It will be interesting to see the consequences of the net on the incidence of psychosis in the future.
Trojan_Jockey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Lisa Simpson
Evil Minion
Administrator
 
Lisa Simpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 21,983
Even if these people are not suffering from paranoia, it's a way of feeling special. "See, I'm so important, I'm being stalked"
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2008, 11:16 PM   #7
zaphod2016
Graduate Poster
 
zaphod2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Beaches of Florida
Posts: 1,039
Originally Posted by TitanPilot View Post
These people know they are preying on the mentally ill.
Agreed 100%. Disgusting.

From the NYT article linked by neltana:

Quote:
For people who say they are the target of mind control or gang stalking, there may be enough evidence in the scientific literature to fan their beliefs. Many sites point to MK-ULTRA, the code name for a covert C.I.A. mind-control and chemical interrogation program begun in the 1950s.
Just enough reality to seem plausible to those already on the edge.

And what about Jim Guest?

Quote:
And the users of some sites have found the support of Jim Guest, a Republican state representative in Missouri, who wrote last year to his fellow legislators calling for an investigation into the claims of those who say they are being tortured by mind control.

“I’ve had enough calls, some from credible people — professors — being targeted by nonlethal weapons,” Mr. Guest said in a telephone interview, adding that nothing came of his request for a legislative investigation. “They become psychologically affected by it. They have trouble sleeping at night.”

He added: “I believe there are people who have been targeted by this. With this equipment, you have to test it on somebody to see if it works.”
So what's the deal with Jim Guest?

Pandering to "the crazy vote"?

Another Paulian crackpot?

And who are the "credible people" (professors) in question?

I am extremely skeptical of any "mind control" actually in existence, but the reality of the MKULTRA project really makes me wonder sometimes.
zaphod2016 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Cuddles
Decoy
Moderator
 
Cuddles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: A magical land full of pink fluffy sheeps and bunnies
Posts: 18,323
Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
Even if these people are not suffering from paranoia, it's a way of feeling special. "See, I'm so important, I'm being stalked"
This. As with so many things, there can be a fine line between normal behvaiour and mental illness. In fact, there was an article on the BBC on that just yesterday. Some of those people are almost cetainly suffering from genuine mental illness, but that does not mean all of them are. It's clear that many in the conspiracy movement want to see themselves as special, and this is just another way of doing so. Mentally ill, mildly paranoid, role playing, gullible, lying, and probably many other explanations exist for this kind of behaviour. You don't have to be mad to be weird.
__________________
If I let myself get hung up on only doing things that had any actual chance of success, I'd never do anything!
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 10:50 AM   #9
tomwaits
Master Poster
 
tomwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 2,289
The NYT article touches on something that seems very counterintuitive:

Quote:
“We know, for example, that things like social support, all of these positive social aspects are very good for people’s mental illness,” Dr. Bell said. “I wouldn’t say it’s entirely and completely positive, but it can be positive.”

Some research has shown that when people with delusions undergo group cognitive therapy, the group process can be helpful in their treatment.

But the Web sites are not moderated by professionals, and many postings discuss the failure of medication and say that mental health professionals are part of the conspiracy against them.

“These people lead quietly desperate lives,” said Dr. Jeffrey A. Lieberman, chairman of the Department of Psychiatry at Columbia University. “And if they are reinforcing each other and pulling people toward something, if they are using the Internet and getting reinforcement, that’s good.”
So maybe they will still carry the delusions, but the group getting together online may help them lead a relatively normal life.
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 11:14 AM   #10
LightinDarkness
Master Poster
 
LightinDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,581
I think its a good point that some of these people just simply NEED to feel special. Believing that the government is paying hundreds of people simply to harass you covertly simply means you must be a very special person.

I wonder how long it takes though before someone who is simply approaching this from a "gang stalking is real because I'm special" approach really begins to believe themselves. I mean, after a while it would become apparent to even the most unintelligent that the "evidence" of gang stalking is actually nothing more than evidence of daily living.

I was looking at one of the "gang stalking" forums and one of the people claimed their "proof" was that people would look at her in a odd way every time she would go outside her house and video tape the gang stalkers. Her fellow delusional posters told her this was a key sign of gang stalking. It seemed not to occur to her that going outside your home and pointing a video camera at people and screaming at them that they are gang stalkers might cause them to look at you strangely.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 02:56 PM   #11
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,773
Originally Posted by neltana View Post
For those of you who haven't heard about this before, here is a NY Times article that gives some background:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/fa...pagewanted=all

Very interesting and quite sad. Another hit against the Internet?

Just don't flash back when someone flashes their high-beams at you.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 06:02 PM   #12
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 23,550
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Just don't flash back when someone flashes their high-beams at you.


No no, that's Gang Initiation. [/OldInternetGuy]
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Almo
Masterblazer
 
Almo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,587
Quote:
The extent of the community, Dr. Bell said, poses a paradox to the traditional way delusion is defined under the diagnostic guidelines of the American Psychiatric Association, which says that if a belief is held by a person’s “culture or subculture,” it is not a delusion. The exception accounts for rituals of religious faith, for example.
From the article. I think this has very interesting implications about religion.
__________________
Almo!
My Blog
"No society ever collapsed because the poor had too much." — LeftySergeant
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Third in line
Posts: 18,050
Originally Posted by neltana View Post
For those of you who haven't heard about this before, here is a NY Times article that gives some background:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/fa...pagewanted=all
Wow. I followed the link to Gang Stalking World, and it is incredibly disturbing. Most disturbing so far is the list of techniques the bad guys use. It is no exaggeration to say that according to these people every single sound you hear, every single mishap you have, every single stranger you meet, and every single relationship problem of any type that you have, is proof that you are being stalked and manipulated.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2008, 04:23 PM   #15
LightinDarkness
Master Poster
 
LightinDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,581
Here are the "characteristics" of those who are "targeted":
http://gangstalkingworld.com/Forum/Y...m=1205738832/0

Basically, things that can characterize everyone. So everyone can be targeted for any reason. I find it fascinating that some organization is dedicated to stalking so many people and spending so much money to do it...instead of doing the simpler thing of just killing them. But no, they would rather hire thousands of people to stalk...
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2008, 04:52 PM   #16
ktesibios
Worthless Aging Hippie
 
ktesibios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,493
Well, the NWO's contract with the Faceless Evil Minion's Union requires that they get a minimum of 32 paid hours per week.

They're on the clock, so we've gotta find something for the featherbedding weasels to do- and it has to be evil.
__________________
Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst, where there ain't no ten commandments and a man can raise a small, bristly mustache.
ktesibios is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2008, 08:45 PM   #17
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 23,550
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Most disturbing so far is the list of techniques the bad guys use.


Quote:
Random Encounters

This will be people on the street who you randomly and unexpectedly run into. It looks completely natural and it seems to be a random encounter.

They might ask for your phone number after engaging you in conversation. Ask you out, or just ask you where you are going. Anything from small talk to lengthier conversations.

All with the purpose of finding out something about you, or even just getting you to do something.

Oh, yeah, great. Let's get a bunch of sad, lonely, isolated people, and then convince them that the one time someone wants to ask them out on a date, the person is a government spy....Real nice, that.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2008, 10:29 PM   #18
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,633
What...Who?!? All of you...stay away from me!!!!!

Alex Jones!!! Save me with your witchcraft!!!!

they're coming to take me away ho ho ha ha hee hee...

In all seriousness, has anyone seen the tinfoil hat site that has warmarks to identify spots in urban areas where mind control is taking place and what type? I can't remember the URL but I have got to believe it's a parody of some sort - it's THAT ridiculous.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2008, 08:53 AM   #19
tomwaits
Master Poster
 
tomwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 2,289
Don't worry folks, we are hard at work on the solution to this problem.
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2008, 05:52 PM   #20
Alareth
Expert Expertologist
 
Alareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,605
OMG! Everything I own has been stolen and replaced with exact duplicates!

Everyone I know has been cloned as well ... Including me!
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2008, 10:47 PM   #21
Whiplash
Acting like a maniac
 
Whiplash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Shipwrecked and Comatose
Posts: 5,397
Originally Posted by Trojan_Jockey View Post
You raise a VERY good point here. The net, for all its great aspects, has also enabled those suffering from paranoid delusions to reinforce each other's beliefs systems. If you are delusional the last you need to do is to talk to other schizophrenics who confirm all your false beliefs.
It goes both ways though. People also are more connected to real knowledge and people who are brilliant and have facts and information to share with those that want to learn.

To some extent, there has always been a way for people of certain mindsets to get together and feed off each other. Newsletters, radio shows, even little conventions and stuff. Yes, it's more easy now for them to get bad info and pool together on insane beliefs. But the world is also interconnected and people have access to reams of knowledge and facts, and can be educated much more than ever before. I think, on balance, that the net is going to be much more of a positive force in human development than a negative. I think there will be a time in the future where the interconnectivity of the whole world is going to be remembered as a major milestone in our overall enlightenment as a species.
__________________
Ken Buddha.. a smile, two bangs, and a religion.
On the ricochet.. it's gonna hit you. It's always funny until someone gets hurt.
Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2008, 11:17 PM   #22
Hans
Illuminator
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW United States
Posts: 3,519
Well this is just weird

I read this thread last night and then went out to get some milk at the local market. It was fairly late at night and the guy ahead of me in the check out line gave me a strange look and said a few things to the check out girl I couldn't hear. When I came up for my turn. The checker whom I know faintly said. "That man said you were following him and that you worked for the government".

We just looked at one another and laught.

Oh that was just weird - or did I just say that?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2008, 11:08 PM   #23
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,633
Originally Posted by tomwaits View Post
Don't worry folks, we are hard at work on the solution to this problem.
I'm anxiously awaiting the day I see that video referenced or linked to on a Gang Stalking site as proof the media is also following them.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2008, 09:34 AM   #24
Trojan_Jockey
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
It goes both ways though. People also are more connected to real knowledge and people who are brilliant and have facts and information to share with those that want to learn.
I think the net has also shown us that many people don't know how to separate valid facts from ********. It's true that there is so much information out there, but not all of it is "real" knowledge at all. You have people with no reasoning skills and little formal education, who are being bombarded with all these theories presented in flowery language and with so much passion that it sounds convincing. Plus, logic tells them these guys only want to make the world a better place so they must be good.

We can't limit what is put out there, so people have to be able to filter out what is a good source from a bad source, what statements are supported by facts and what isn't. The 9/11 CT showed just how much garbage people will swallow. Yes, the net is a good thing, but I dont think humans are quite as good at filtering out the "real" facts from the garbage as we'd like to think.

Last edited by Trojan_Jockey; 24th November 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Trojan_Jockey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2009, 09:35 AM   #25
FriendlyAndLively
New Blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 20
I'm interested, could you tell me about this "conspiracy crowd" whose members suddenly believe that they are being gang stalked?

I find the language and tone of the original post fascinating. LightinDarkness seems to know an awful lot about these people. Could he elaborate?

Could he also explain to the survivors of East Germany's regime, many of whom experienced the Stasi's 'zersetzung' tactics which are similar to gang stalking, that they were imagining things? He could let them know that an anonymous poster on an Internet bulletin board has figured out that no government which is trying to whitewash its international reputation would possibly waste resources on ruining dissidents' lives, instead of simply executing them.

In post #3, gtc says the truth movement is dying. This is also fascinating. Could you show us graphs, charts, etc., demonstrating this?
FriendlyAndLively is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2009, 10:04 AM   #26
LightinDarkness
Master Poster
 
LightinDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,581
Oh look, we have a CTer who...wants to bump year old threads! Im glad you did. The gang stalking paranoia is always such a good example of CT lunacy/mental health issues that rise with CT belief, so its nice of you to do so.

Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
I'm interested, could you tell me about this "conspiracy crowd" whose members suddenly believe that they are being gang stalked?
Sure. You can read up about it for yourself here:

http://gangstalkingworld.com/
http://www.multistalkervictims.org/

I know this probably doesn't occur to you, but belief in conspiracies is just about required to suffer from gang stalking delusions. Thus, those who suffer from gang stalking paranoia are members of the "conspiracy crowd." A national organized group hell-bent on harassing people otherwise unimportant in subtle ways that can't be proven to anyone else is a conspiracy.


Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
I find the language and tone of the original post fascinating. LightinDarkness seems to know an awful lot about these people. Could he elaborate?
I find your smug arrogance amusing. You seem to know a lot about it. Can you elaborate?

Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
Could he also explain to the survivors of East Germany's regime, many of whom experienced the Stasi's 'zersetzung' tactics which are similar to gang stalking, that they were imagining things? He could let them know that an anonymous poster on an Internet bulletin board has figured out that no government which is trying to whitewash its international reputation would possibly waste resources on ruining dissidents' lives, instead of simply executing them.
Sure.

You see, there is a difference between living under East Germany's regime and living in a modern democracy. Of course, the reality is that even if you wanted to fantasize that some secret police exists in the US or in European countries, you would need to provide some evidence. We know that the Stasi existed - where is your evidence of these gang stalking police forces and governments spending millions of dollars to covertly harass people for no obvious reason?

Perhaps the government has better things to do than spend countless amounts of money hiring and training covert police forces in complete secrecy whose only job appears to be "harassing" people who pose no threat to the government?


Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
In post #3, gtc says the truth movement is dying. This is also fascinating. Could you show us graphs, charts, etc., demonstrating this?
As a truther I know this is hard for you to accept, but 9/11 was not an inside job and your movement is dying. We know this due to the surveys on the belief in the twoof movement, which show that not only is it laughably small, but its decreasing in numbers. There are numerous posts linking and analyzing these surveys in the 9/11 forum.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2009, 10:20 AM   #27
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric
 
Sledge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swingin' on a star
Posts: 7,121
Did the Stasis routinely break into people's homes and replace items of clothing with similar but inferior ones, or start going out with a subject's sister with the intent of ruining the subject's love life? It doesn't sound like the sort of thing a secret police force would do.
__________________
"The perfect haiku would have just two syllables: Airwolf" ~ Ernest Cline

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2009, 10:27 AM   #28
FriendlyAndLively
New Blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 20
Those aren't terribly good sites. Gang Stalking World, in particular, is only at the top of the Google results because it has Gang Stalking in the title.

Originally Posted by LightinDarkness View Post
I know this probably doesn't occur to you, but belief in conspiracies is just about required to suffer from gang stalking delusions.
What if the gang stalking isn't delusional?

Quote:
Thus, those who suffer from gang stalking paranoia are members of the "conspiracy crowd."
You say "those who suffer from gang stalking paranoia". What about people who are being stalked by a single person or a small group of people, which is a phenomenon I hope you will not dispute the existence of, seeing as how it's in the DOJ's statistics - they are undoubtedly 'suffering from paranoia'. Are you trying to anchor feelings of being hunted to mental illness?

Quote:
A national organized group hell-bent on harassing people otherwise unimportant in subtle ways that can't be proven to anyone else is a conspiracy.
Yes, indeed it would be a conspiracy, but what does that have to do with delusional thinking?

Quote:
I find your smug arrogance amusing. You seem to know a lot about it. Can you elaborate?
I find your word games, disguised as logic, to be transparent.


Quote:
You see, there is a difference between living under East Germany's regime and living in a modern democracy.
First of all, we in the US don't live in a democracy. Technically, we live in a Constitutional Republic. Second, East Germany called itself a democracy AND a republic, specifically, the German Democratic Republic. The outside world might have known differently, but to the East German citizens who weren't being persecuted by the Stasi, the GDR was a democracy. And the reason they knew this was because the GDR made a point of telling them how free they were. That wall, you see, was there to protect them.

Quote:
Of course, the reality is that even if you wanted to fantasize that some secret police exists in the US or in European countries, you would need to provide some evidence. We know that the Stasi existed - where is your evidence of these gang stalking police forces and governments spending millions of dollars to covertly harass people for no obvious reason?
You could step back in time to the 1970's as an East German citizen and make the same argument about the existence of the Stasi. The GDR did not tell its citizens they lived in a fascist dictatorship. The citizens had to learn it, the hard way.

Quote:
Perhaps the government has better things to do than spend countless amounts of money hiring and training covert police forces in complete secrecy whose only job appears to be "harassing" people who pose no threat to the government?
The East German regime switched tactics from execution squads and forced labor camps to more subtle Zersetzung tactics (gang stalking tactics) when it wanted to whitewash its appearance to the world due to the 1975 Helsinki accords; the ranks of the Stasi grew enormously. They did this because from the perspective of people with power, no amount of money is too great to spend to stay in power. The most powerful people in corrupt governments co-opt the machinery of government for their own gain. This is not terribly conspiratorial in nature.

Quote:
As a truther I know this is hard for you to accept, but 9/11 was not an inside job and your movement is dying. We know this due to the surveys on the belief in the twoof movement, which show that not only is it laughably small, but its decreasing in numbers. There are numerous posts linking and analyzing these surveys in the 9/11 forum.
Obviously, I can't respond to this off the cuff, as I'll have to check through the 9/11 forum's posts. Thank you for that tidbit of information.
FriendlyAndLively is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2009, 06:45 PM   #29
gtc
Philosopher
 
gtc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the downunderverse
Posts: 7,114
The stasi had hundreds of thousands of people working directly for them or as informants. Most East Germans also had access to West German broadcasts.

For these reasons, I would be surprised if the East Germans weren't acutely aware of their situation.
__________________
gtc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2009, 07:49 PM   #30
fromdownunder
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,998
Why is it that we in Australia are so much more knowledgeable and sophisticated than others. The C.S.I.R.O has developed technology that does not require people to stalk people. We use nano-technology with highly sophisticated computer devices in insects - bees, ants, flies, mosquitos, cicadas, spiders (birds proved to be too expensive and had a tendancy to fly into power poles) and simply monitor them remotely. All such insects carry cameras, and recording devices.

And unlike people, we do not have to pay or feed the super spy spiders. They don't eat. You don't even want to know what we have done with trees.

It is so much easier and cheaper to do it this way. Please, people outside Australia catch up, or contact the C.S.I.R.O. for further information, and a chance to join the revolution.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 26th November 2009 at 07:55 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2009, 07:50 PM   #31
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy
 
Howie Felterbush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In the twilight, singing all the old lullabies
Posts: 6,109
From the Gang Stalking site

Mimicking

This is trying to copy things in a targets life.


Leaving when they do.
Dressing like they dress.
Throwing out the garbage
Going to the bathroom
Doing whatever the target is doing.

This is all designed to be psychological warfare, so that the target again feels like they are under observation at all times.
-----------------------------

Oh crap. Mrs. Beirman next door always takes her garbage out at the same time as me, you know, Wednesday morning, right before the garbageman arrives. I knew she was up to something...Well, I best go kill her. Be right back.

Kidding. I'm a kidder. This is sad. I work with a lady who is very paranoid about, well, everything. She always tells me about this person or that person and how they are persecuting her. She stands really close when she talks and she hardly ever moves her lips while speaking, as if these persecutors are somewhere with binoculars, reading her lips. I try to put her at ease, but I think she believes I'm in on it.

I'm not, by the way.
__________________
"Don't be too offended by the likes of him - I hear he doesn't even own ascots." -JoeyDonuts
"I must be more tired than I thought. Howie, you are starting to make sense." -MG1962
"You're a mean old evil cynic. And mean." Halfcentaur
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2009, 10:40 PM   #32
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall
 
Brainache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind you!
Posts: 15,373
Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush View Post
From the Gang Stalking site

Mimicking

This is trying to copy things in a targets life.


Leaving when they do.
Dressing like they dress.
Throwing out the garbage
Going to the bathroom
Doing whatever the target is doing.

This is all designed to be psychological warfare, so that the target again feels like they are under observation at all times.
-----------------------------

Oh crap. Mrs. Beirman next door always takes her garbage out at the same time as me, you know, Wednesday morning, right before the garbageman arrives. I knew she was up to something...Well, I best go kill her. Be right back.

Kidding. I'm a kidder. This is sad. I work with a lady who is very paranoid about, well, everything. She always tells me about this person or that person and how they are persecuting her. She stands really close when she talks and she hardly ever moves her lips while speaking, as if these persecutors are somewhere with binoculars, reading her lips. I try to put her at ease, but I think she believes I'm in on it.

I'm not, by the way.
Oh sure! Mr Felterbush... She stands really close? Suddenly your surname makes sense...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 01:43 AM   #33
LightinDarkness
Master Poster
 
LightinDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,581
Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
Those aren't terribly good sites. Gang Stalking World, in particular, is only at the top of the Google results because it has Gang Stalking in the title.
Your opinion doesn't really matter. They are both excellent sites for presenting the delusional and fantastical nature of gang stalking conspiracy claims.

Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
What if the gang stalking isn't delusional?
Argument from ignorance logical fallacy. You have provided no evidence that gang stalking is real, nor has anyone else. Meanwhile, all the evidence suggests - its paranoia and mental illness:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/fa...pagewanted=all

Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
You say "those who suffer from gang stalking paranoia". What about people who are being stalked by a single person or a small group of people, which is a phenomenon I hope you will not dispute the existence of, seeing as how it's in the DOJ's statistics - they are undoubtedly 'suffering from paranoia'. Are you trying to anchor feelings of being hunted to mental illness?
What about people who are being stalked by a single person? No one has ever claimed such does not exist. You are beating up a straw man. People claiming to be stalked by small groups of people? Unlikely, but sitll unrelated to the gang stalking claims. Nice try to use DOJ statistics on individual stalking to prove gang stalking - shows you really don't have an argument?

Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
Yes, indeed it would be a conspiracy, but what does that have to do with delusional thinking?
Do you even read what you write? You are the one posting arrogant posts about how this isn't conspiracy theory.

Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
I find your word games, disguised as logic, to be transparent.
I find your attempts to ignore logic and reason pretty normal for most conspiracy theorists.

Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
First of all, we in the US don't live in a democracy. Technically, we live in a Constitutional Republic. Second, East Germany called itself a democracy AND a republic, specifically, the German Democratic Republic. The outside world might have known differently, but to the East German citizens who weren't being persecuted by the Stasi, the GDR was a democracy. And the reason they knew this was because the GDR made a point of telling them how free they were. That wall, you see, was there to protect them.
Yawn. First of all, we live in a representative DEMOCRACY. Second of all, if you are incapable of understanding the difference between what systems of governments are and what they call themselves there is little help for you. Do you think China is a republic because its called the Peoples Republic of China? Are you that ignorant?

Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
You could step back in time to the 1970's as an East German citizen and make the same argument about the existence of the Stasi. The GDR did not tell its citizens they lived in a fascist dictatorship. The citizens had to learn it, the hard way.
Wrong. You couldn't. Everyone knew about the existence of the Stasi. NO ONE can provide any evidence of these millions of government operatives trained to harass unimportant people for no obvious reason.

Originally Posted by FriendlyAndLively View Post
The East German regime switched tactics from execution squads and forced labor camps to more subtle Zersetzung tactics (gang stalking tactics) when it wanted to whitewash its appearance to the world due to the 1975 Helsinki accords; the ranks of the Stasi grew enormously. They did this because from the perspective of people with power, no amount of money is too great to spend to stay in power. The most powerful people in corrupt governments co-opt the machinery of government for their own gain. This is not terribly conspiratorial in nature.
Wrong as usual. Gang stalking tactics involve the supposed training of millions of normal people whose only job is to drive people nuts by doing things like staring at them. Quite different from any tactics the Statsi used.

You can keep beating the dead horse all you want, but you've been debunked. Screaming "but..but..Stasi!!" is not proof of gang stalking claims.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 01:46 AM   #34
LightinDarkness
Master Poster
 
LightinDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,581
Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush View Post
From the Gang Stalking site

Mimicking

This is trying to copy things in a targets life.


Leaving when they do.
Dressing like they dress.
Throwing out the garbage
Going to the bathroom
Doing whatever the target is doing.

This is all designed to be psychological warfare, so that the target again feels like they are under observation at all times.
-----------------------------

Oh crap. Mrs. Beirman next door always takes her garbage out at the same time as me, you know, Wednesday morning, right before the garbageman arrives. I knew she was up to something...Well, I best go kill her. Be right back.

Kidding. I'm a kidder. This is sad. I work with a lady who is very paranoid about, well, everything. She always tells me about this person or that person and how they are persecuting her. She stands really close when she talks and she hardly ever moves her lips while speaking, as if these persecutors are somewhere with binoculars, reading her lips. I try to put her at ease, but I think she believes I'm in on it.

I'm not, by the way.
Wow. I can't imagine working with someone like that. People who are that paranoid could get violent if they think you are in on it.

By the way...would our new conspiracy theorist please tell us how the Statsi used throwing out the trash to harass people? Please describe exactly how the above tactics quoted from the gang stalking site have any similarities to the Stasi. I can't believe anyone could be so ignorant as to read these claims and not see the obvious signs of mental illness, we ARE dealing with CTers...
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 08:02 AM   #35
Eddie Dane
Philosopher
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 5,004
Think about the logistics of gang stalking.

Imagine being the supervisor of just one gang stalking.

You have to hire about forty people from an enormous pool of willing professional gang stalkers. Do you place an ad or is there a tem agency specialising in this stuff?
Alternatively you have to recruit people from the targets surroundings.

Then you have to instruct them to a lot of very subtle things like dressing alike etc.

What a headache that would be.

I once saw a documentary about the wife of a jailed Chinese dissident. They assigned three goons specially to her. On would guard the entrance of her apartment building. The other two moved into her apartment!

Imagine that: some alfa hotel sitting in your kitchen, smoking, with his feet on the table.
She was not allowed to close the toilet door. This lady was going crazy.

that's what it looks like when a repressive government wants to get it's point across. It's not subtle.

Surveillance is another matter. It's supposed to be covert.

If you're under surveillance and the agents take care to give you subtle hints. Call your shrink.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 08:42 AM   #36
Sunray Breaker
Critical Thinker
 
Sunray Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 498
I wonder...Would the old Co-intel-pro tactics from the 60's qualify as gang stalking in the past?

I know cointel is dead, but would this be comparable?

Also, I'm curious about this video and what it suggests...From the Gang Stalking Website you listed above:
((((OKAY, NEVER MIND, HOW THE HELL DO YOU EMBED?)

I don't really believe in the woo anymore, but the process underwhich its debunked has become fascinating to watch...
__________________
"There are times, however, and this is one of them, when even being right feels wrong. What do you say, for instance, about a generation that has been taught that rain is poison and sex is death?" - HST
If you really believe that death leads to eternal bliss, then why are you wearing a seatbelt? - Doug Stanhope

Last edited by Sunray Breaker; 27th November 2009 at 08:47 AM.
Sunray Breaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 10:10 AM   #37
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,931
Wow. I just saw "November" and didn't notice this was a year-old thread. Over at the Jesse Ventura show discussion board, I had just read that one of the guys involved with the show is apparently a victim of this. MK Ultra. Project Talent. Open letter to the President. Project Camelot. Etc. Should be a great show!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 10:21 AM   #38
Eyeron
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,774
The problem is the word gang is misleading. Because of the media supersaturation many people tend to associated it with gang bangers such as the Crips and the bloods. All a gang is a group of people.
Eyeron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 10:24 AM   #39
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,931
From that site FAQ:

Quote:
What are other Names for Gang Stalking?


There are many names for this form of systemic control and harassment. Under the Gang Stalking label you will also find such terms as Organised Stalking, Cause Stalking, Multi-Stalking, Community Mobbing, but it's all part of the same harassment protocol. What many people do not realise is that Gang Stalking is just one appendage of this systemic form of control. There are other forms of control used to repress, and keep individuals in line. Other forms or appendages include, but are not limited to: Mobbing, Cointelpro, The Buzzsaw, Covert War, Electronic Harassment, etc. These are the just some of the names being given to a very old game, that is once again being played by governments on their unsuspecting citizens.
Why not just call it paranoid schizophrenia since that gets the idea across more accurately?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 10:26 AM   #40
LightinDarkness
Master Poster
 
LightinDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,581
Originally Posted by Sunray Breaker View Post
I wonder...Would the old Co-intel-pro tactics from the 60's qualify as gang stalking in the past?

I know cointel is dead, but would this be comparable?

Also, I'm curious about this video and what it suggests...From the Gang Stalking Website you listed above:
((((OKAY, NEVER MIND, HOW THE HELL DO YOU EMBED?)

I don't really believe in the woo anymore, but the process underwhich its debunked has become fascinating to watch...
I don't think even cointeopro would be an example of historical gang stalking. The CIA used it to target political groups, not individuals. The point of the program was to destroy such movements from within COVERTLY - gang stalking isn't covert, its (supposedly) extremely obvious by those claiming to be gang stalked.

For example, if I want to disrupt a communist group the last thing I want to do is train 20 people to wear coordinating T-Shirts saying DEMOCRACY and have them walk past the communist group leader when he goes out for a walk. All thats going to do is make it obvious.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.