JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot , dna , Ed Smith , Melba Ketchum

Old 16th August 2011, 05:57 PM   #201
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Deacondark View Post
What I find disturbing is that, if you look at this from the 'footer's point of veiw, they cant go wrong.

Say the DNA tests as "human" which is the rumors I keep hearing: In their mind they have no doubt that it came from a Bigfoot, so the "human" reading just makes them a relative of ours. They can't fathom the possibility that it came from a person. It's a sickness really.
Having the DNA come back human wouldn't go well with a lot of the accepted info on sasquatch though. It clashes.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2011, 06:02 PM   #202
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Having the DNA come back human wouldn't go well with a lot of the accepted info on sasquatch though. It clashes.
They'll find a way to justify it. Just wait.
Deacondark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2011, 07:48 AM   #203
The Shrike
Master Poster

I had "gershake" at the BFF tell me yesterday that the DNA analysis that Ketchum has done does not come back Homo sapiens. That gossip was apparently part of Robert Lindsay's operation obfuscation.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2011, 09:43 AM   #204
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it's likely going to be something that they can use. So probably "unknown primate"?

They can't be going to all this trouble just to announce something that doesn't further the agenda.

Unless Biscardi is involved. Then it's liable to be announced as a human gorilla DNA mixture and for $19.99 we can log on and see the test results...

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2011, 09:47 AM   #205
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...18&postcount=1

Old 17th August 2011, 10:00 AM   #206
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.mid-americabigfoot.com/fo...p=13789#p13789

Old 17th August 2011, 10:38 AM   #207
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by SensorTech on MABRC
Ed, by my calculations, you tested 2350 samples and got 236 matches. You are (in Randy's words) AWESOME. I am stunned. It is hard waiting, but it sounds like the results will be worth the effort.

He did 2,350 DNA tests? LOL. Ed Smith was banned by JREF for having 3 accounts simultaneously. I'd say that there is a good probability that the tests were forgeries. Fake tests. Ask to look behind the curtain and then he will probably let loose with his usual anti-skeptic rage.
Old 17th August 2011, 10:55 AM   #208
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
He did 2,350 DNA tests? LOL. Ed Smith was banned by JREF for having 3 accounts simultaneously. I'd say that there is a good probability that the tests were forgeries. Fake tests. Ask to look behind the curtain and then he will probably let loose with his usual anti-skeptic rage.
It's pretty strange. Even for a hoaxer.

Wonder what's going on?

The claim appeared not to even generate a wisp of suspicion, either.

Old 17th August 2011, 10:59 AM   #209
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.mid-americabigfoot.com/fo...p=14764#p14764

Quote:
We have retained the services of an in house geneticist to help with the expanding amount of data and the need to interpret the torrent correctly for the preparation of the paper. It is apparent at this point that the Human accelerated regions namely HAR1 and HACNS1 must be considered in our discussions of the this subject.
Straight out of a footer's wildest dreams...

Old 17th August 2011, 01:05 PM   #210
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's pretty strange. Even for a hoaxer.
Smith is one of the strangest.

Quote:
Wonder what's going on?
An adult role-playing game.

Quote:
The claim appeared not to even generate a wisp of suspicion, either.
Rule 1: when attending a professional wrestling match do not scream out "This is all fake!"
Old 17th August 2011, 01:10 PM   #211
NavySEAL
Scholar

Rule 1: when attending a professional wrestling match do not scream out "This is all fake!"[/quote]

Well said.
NS
NavySEAL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2011, 01:14 PM   #212
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

I'm not entirely sure I trust the DNA testing abilities of someone who cannot spell, punctuate, or use "Their, they're or there" properly.
Deacondark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2011, 01:24 PM   #213
GT/CS
Illuminator

Many footers have learned that as long as they don't show clear photos (Georgia Boyz) they can tell any outrageous lies they want and the lies will be accepted by their group.
Old 17th August 2011, 02:37 PM   #214
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Deacondark View Post
I'm not entirely sure I trust the DNA testing abilities of someone who cannot spell, punctuate, or use "Their, they're or there" properly.
Well, this is the testing being done by Melba Ketchum, isn't it?

That's the thread title.

Of course, Ed may be concocting the whole story...

Old 17th August 2011, 02:39 PM   #215
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Smith is one of the strangest.

An adult role-playing game.

Rule 1: when attending a professional wrestling match do not scream out "This is all fake!"
I considered the possibility that the post giving the 2,350 figure may itself have been a little jab...but I don't think so.

Old 17th August 2011, 04:16 PM   #216
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

That's the thread title.

He has to be. I'm sure Melba would have shut him down if he were releasing real information.
Old 17th August 2011, 06:06 PM   #217
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That's the thread title.

He's not part of the Ketchum Project. This is his own thing. I think he calls it the Horizon Project. Read a bit about it here on BFF. He talks about his posse called the Original-6 or Orig-6. Supposed to be six Bigfooter guys from Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure it's a fictitious group with Ed Smith pretending that there are five others.

He's a hardcore nutjob and he has sockpuppets on the BFF just like he had here.
Old 17th August 2011, 06:19 PM   #218
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

He's not part of the Ketchum Project. This is his own thing. I think he calls it the Horizon Project. Read a bit about it here on BFF. He talks about his posse called the Original-6 or Orig-6. Supposed to be six Bigfooter guys from Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure it's a fictitious group with Ed Smith pretending that there are five others.

Interesting read. Sounds like another hoaxer to me.
Old 17th August 2011, 06:58 PM   #219
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen that thread.

Old 17th August 2011, 07:01 PM   #220
L.Y.S.
Illuminator

It'd be cool to have some bigfoot friends though. Especially if they looked like those thingies off of Dragon Ball Z, Oozarus me thinks.
L.Y.S. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2011, 08:01 PM   #221
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Ben Schneider, a 1996 IUS alumnus, asked about how the Bigfoot freezer hoax affected studies where real evidence had been found. Meldrum said it made a mockery of their efforts.

When asked about his personal beliefs, he said if he had doubts, his career would have been different.

“Of course I’m personally convinced,” he said. “I think what were looking at is many branches of hominids. Rather than assuming they all went extinct some persistent branches exist today in remote areas.”
Meldrum has interesting thoughts...wonder what he'll make of these DNA reports?

Also, I didn't realize Meldrum had met Patterson.

http://iushorizon.com/2011/02/profes...d-for-bigfoot/

Old 18th August 2011, 08:41 AM   #222
The Shrike
Master Poster

OK, which one of you Skoftics is behind the cyber attack that's shut down the BFF?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2011, 08:59 AM   #223
Correa Neto
Philosopher

We used an EMP weapon shot from one of our stealth fighters. Nasty stuff. Can even erase DVDs. Ask Historian.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2011, 09:52 AM   #224
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The BFF was getting too close...

Old 18th August 2011, 10:06 AM   #225
The Shrike
Master Poster

Well we have to fix it. Mulder hasn't insulted me in a few hours now, and I'm sliding toward withdrawal.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:54 AM   #226
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Didn't you get the memo?

Some of our agents work udercover, pretending to be one of their crowd. They impersonate wild loons to discredit bigfoot research, so our sponsors can keep going with their loggin and mining stuff, the public remains ignorant and the secrets about the species which could debunk evolution is kept hidden.

Don't be too tough on him, OK?
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2011, 11:08 AM   #227
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
They impersonate wild loons to discredit bigfoot research
Why, just last night I was out howling back at footers...in the deep dark woods...at least 15 feet from the highway. I was carrying 2 bags of concrete and wearing alderfeet too...you shoulda' been there.

The back pain gave the howls authenticity...

Old 21st August 2011, 07:32 AM   #228
parnassus
Master Poster

Paulides again and more explicitly says the "Bigfoot" DNA is human and Native American.
http://rwridley.wordpress.com/2011/0...tch-dna-study/
I think a few of the footers may begin to wise up. But cult behavior theory would predict that the majority will find a way to buy into the new information; controversy may occur but breakaway groups will probably not form, since, in the past, there has not been any requirement of strict adherence to a single dogma.
Old 21st August 2011, 08:03 AM   #229
The Shrike
Master Poster

I found this comment rather prescient:

"Comment by R.W. Ridley on August 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Yeah, as I indicated in the post, I think it’s weeks away as opposed to months.

I think the entire BF community is about to pop. If this turns out to be nothing, Prozac sales will go through the roof."
Old 21st August 2011, 08:32 AM   #230
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
"Bigfoot" DNA is human and Native American.

That means that Bigfoot has human rights but is also subject to local and Federal laws. Bigfoot can actually be arrested for trespassing, illegal squatting/homesteading, harassment, public disturbances, etc.

Maybe one indication of acceptance of the "Paulides theory" is that Bigfooters stop calling them Bigfoot or Sasquatch and convert to calling them "people". This one just happens to be covered in hair from head to toe and might have really big feet. The names Bigfoot and Sasquatch may now be racist like "slant-eyes" and "redskins". You just have to start calling them Native Americans.

If you see one on your land you can call the police and say that a Native American is trespassing and you want an investigation with arrest. Wood knocking and loud vocalizations are disturbing the peace. Throwing stones is now illegal for them to do. It isn't Bigfoot committing these illegal acts; it's simply a person breaking the law.
Old 21st August 2011, 10:29 AM   #231
RioBravo
New Blood

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Paulides again and more explicitly says the "Bigfoot" DNA is human and Native American.
http://rwridley.wordpress.com/2011/0...tch-dna-study/
I think a few of the footers may begin to wise up. But cult behavior theory would predict that the majority will find a way to buy into the new information; controversy may occur but breakaway groups will probably not form, since, in the past, there has not been any requirement of strict adherence to a single dogma.
Paulides is guessing as much as anyone else.

He's likely trying to bolster sales of his books which espouse the bigfoot-as-lost-tribe theory.
RioBravo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2011, 11:06 AM   #232
John Albert
Illuminator

How was this alleged DNA obtained?
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2011, 11:51 AM   #233
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, how did they get DNA/bones/body parts from a human/native American?

Did they shoot these humans/native Americans?

Old 21st August 2011, 12:20 PM   #234
John Albert
Illuminator

Yes, how did they get DNA/bones/body parts from a human/native American?

Did they shoot these humans/native Americans?

That's what I wanna know.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2011, 12:28 PM   #235
ScannerHead
Scholar

go to the bff and read all about it. it's called something about "the sierra kills" or shootings. some guy claims he shot 2 and cut part of a thigh out of the big one and some other stuff.
ScannerHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2011, 12:42 PM   #236
John Albert
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ScannerHead View Post
go to the bff and read all about it. it's called something about "the sierra kills" or shootings. some guy claims he shot 2 and cut part of a thigh out of the big one and some other stuff.

So then why doesn't he just produce the entire bodies, instead of just some bull ****?
—Mark Twain
Old 21st August 2011, 12:59 PM   #237
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
So then why doesn't he just produce the entire bodies, instead of just some bull ****?
Exactly.

If they do come out and say they have Bigfoot DNA, and offer a study for analysis, the entire scientific community will issue a "Put up or shut up" notice. They'll have to come up with more than just some tiny samples.
Old 21st August 2011, 01:55 PM   #238
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

If you shot a creature with human/nA DNA, didn't you commit murder?

Old 21st August 2011, 02:21 PM   #239
River
Illuminator

If you shot a creature with human/nA DNA, didn't you commit murder?
You're reading wayyy to much into this. You know as well as I do there is no body. This is all part of the game to generate interest and dollars, and good ole legend fun.

River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2011, 02:46 PM   #240
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by River View Post
You're reading wayyy to much into this. You know as well as I do there is no body. This is all part of the game to generate interest and dollars, and good ole legend fun.

You are actually reading way too much into my posts. I know what I'm doing.

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal