JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Closed Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 11:11 AM   #321
makaya325
Banned

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Skeptics talk about Bigfoot enthusiasts seeing details that can not be supported by the resolution of the film. Think M.K. Davis and teeth, etc. Nobody said you can't see anything. And what are you talking about seeing keys and hip waders? There is a line moving at Patty's thigh that is unnatural for any thigh muscle.

Tell me, what do you make of Patty's completely unnatural breasts?

I agree, mk is an embarrasment. I thought the resolution was to crumby to see the "lines". Those lines are consistent with gorilla legs
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2009, 01:20 PM   #322
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
However, this timeline from DDA, shows that they prints were visible seven months later
Considering Noll's track record with spinning information (People saying "Maybe it's Bigfoot." "More like Dickfoot" in the Memorial Day video getting reported as something like "The people involved said they saw Bigfoot"), I'm skeptical about taking his word that actual tracks were visible. Did Green or McClarin take any pictures of the alleged tracks so they can be compared to the ones taken by Laverty and Titmus?

But to show that I'm not pulling the depressions stuff out of nowhere, here a
source:

Originally Posted by carcharodon (18th July 2007, 12:58 AM)
You are forgetting also that when John Green and Jim McClarin visited the film site the following June (some 8 months or so later) there were still apparantely some depressions left where some tracks had been cast
Come to think of it, didn't Napier once say something about the alleged trackway's stride not matching what's seen on the film (or something like that) or am I thinking of something else?

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time. - James Thurber
AtomicMysteryMonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2009, 01:22 PM   #323
makaya325
Banned

Originally Posted by AtomicMysteryMonster View Post
Considering Noll's track record with spinning information (People saying "Maybe it's Bigfoot." "More like Dickfoot" in the Memorial Day video getting reported as something like "The people involved said they saw Bigfoot"), I'm skeptical about taking his word that actual tracks were visible. Did Green or McClarin take any pictures of the alleged tracks so they can be compared to the ones taken by Laverty and Titmus?

But to show that I'm not pulling the depressions stuff out of nowhere, here a
source:

Come to think of it, didn't Napier once say something about the alleged trackway's stride not matching what's seen on the film (or something like that) or am I thinking of something else?
Does anyone realize that Mclarin walked the same pathway as the figure, and came up to be shorter than the pgf subject?
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2009, 02:00 PM   #324
Hitch
Muse

Originally Posted by makaya325 View Post
Does anyone realize that Mclarin walked the same pathway as the figure, and came up to be shorter than the pgf subject?
Which might be a convincing argument that he was in the wrong place. Or it might just be more useless twaddle.
Hitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2009, 02:05 PM   #325
Crowlogic
Graduate Poster

Why yes he did walk the pathway and there is some footage of him doing it. Its worth watching just to compare the motion of him vs the PGF subject. I'm 100% convinced that there was a something of a visible trackway remaining in the spring when they got there. These photos show that they did a good job of framing the film.

In my own expierence I once cut across a sandy slope that ran between a boardwalk and a line of trees at Sunken Meadow State PK on Long Island. My tracks, which were the only ones in that area, stayed visible for several months in spite of the wind rain and general turbulance of the envirnment along the LI Sound. BTW Makaya since you're on LI why not check out Sunken Meadow its a great place. PM me and I'll even put you on to where you could leave tracks and study the way they disappear in the very sandy soil there.

Last edited by Crowlogic; 27th January 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Crowlogic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2009, 02:39 PM   #326
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

You are not talking about that cheezy frame overlay in LMS are you ?

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2009, 03:35 PM   #327
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Skeptics talk about Bigfoot enthusiasts seeing details that can not be supported by the resolution of the film. Think M.K. Davis and teeth, etc. Nobody said you can't see anything. And what are you talking about seeing keys and hip waders? There is a line moving at Patty's thigh that is unnatural for any thigh muscle.

Tell me, what do you make of Patty's completely unnatural breasts?
I agree, mk is an embarrasment. I thought the resolution was to crumby to see the "lines". Those lines are consistent with gorilla legs
Oh, look at that. No comment about the breasts. First thing you learn about Bigfoot enthusiasts, if it can't be made to support their arguments - no comment.

Second thing you learn about Bigfoot enthusiasts - they state things as fact and hope people will just accept it as such.

Show me some gorillas with subducting horizontal lines across the thigh. Don't give me any stills or color variations. Just like the enthusiasts say, "show it to me moving."

...And don't forget Patty's boobs.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2009, 11:05 PM   #328
Aepervius
Philosopher

My totally unscientific 2 minute analysis of your two photo crow :

There are two interresting thigns for me on these photo crow. Sure the above one is very obviously compressed latterally, but it seems the "apparent" height of patty is slightily lower, than the height of the guy on the photo and both hip seem to be at the same level. Naturally it could be an optical effect, perspective change , distance yada yada. But if you compare head / shoulder hip length and other ratio, she does not seem altogether different than the guy in white shirt.

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
A very early french atheist, a catholic priest in life.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 05:03 AM   #329
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Aepervius wrote:
Quote:
But if you compare head / shoulder hip length and other ratio, she does not seem altogether different than the guy in white shirt.

There's quite a difference between the two....mostly in the 'body mass, and body width' departments....

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 05:41 AM   #330
Hitch
Muse

Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
Aepervius wrote:

There's quite a difference between the two....mostly in the 'body mass, and body width' departments....

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w.../McClarin1.jpghttp://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...yMcClarin1.jpg
You mean the padded suit?
Hitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 06:38 AM   #331
Aepervius
Philosopher

If you look carefully (... Oh wait, you wont) the width resolution is not the same. But the structure is, and padding can explain the rest.

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
A very early french atheist, a catholic priest in life.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 09:11 AM   #332
Crowlogic
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
My totally unscientific 2 minute analysis of your two photo crow :

There are two interresting thigns for me on these photo crow. Sure the above one is very obviously compressed latterally, but it seems the "apparent" height of patty is slightily lower, than the height of the guy on the photo and both hip seem to be at the same level. Naturally it could be an optical effect, perspective change , distance yada yada. But if you compare head / shoulder hip length and other ratio, she does not seem altogether different than the guy in white shirt.
Apevirus, my totally scientific and premeditated reason for posting the McClarin frames was for the benifit of Makaya. He mentioned the McClarin film and perhaps handn't seen anything from it. I'm aware of the compressed McClarin photo. However since its not offered as a size comparison it makes no difference to the puropse with which I posted it.

Last edited by Crowlogic; 28th January 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Crowlogic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 09:50 AM   #333
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
If you look carefully (... Oh wait, you wont) the width resolution is not the same.

I knew that they weren't scaled properly, but that doesn't change the fact that......as I said......Patty is significantly wider, and more massive than Jim is.

I enlarged the images a little...and widened the image of Jim, also...

The images aren't scaled perfectly, yet....but they're close enough for now.

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 28th January 2009 at 09:53 AM.
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 10:04 AM   #334
Drewbot
Illuminator

Patty has kind of Bubble-Ass doesn't she? It's just like BLAM! no what I'm saying?

Sweaty, do you think the person wearing the Barney costume, is a giant-Bipedal-Dinosaur-shaped person?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 10:13 AM   #335
Crowlogic
Graduate Poster

Sweaty, I've seen the McClarin footage all the way through. The differences in overall motion are impressive. In the event of Jim compressed or stretched it does not change his locked knees or his arm ratio. I've tried to find the full clip again but so far no luck. Incidently the Patty frame is nice quality, one of the better ones I've seen. Gives reason to expect that suit details as in Bill's work can be determined.
Old 28th January 2009, 10:20 AM   #336
Crowlogic
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Patty has kind of Bubble-Ass doesn't she? It's just like BLAM! no what I'm saying?

Sweaty, do you think the person wearing the Barney costume, is a giant-Bipedal-Dinosaur-shaped person?
Drewbot, Why not come and visit Dolyestown in Bucks County PA. You'll get to see a resident population there and in the surrounding communities some really big "bubble butts". In fact skinny me used to sarcastically refer to the area as "Fat Butt County" when I lived there.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:07 PM   #337
makaya325
Banned

Also, patty is far larger than the 200 pound mclarin
Old 28th January 2009, 01:15 PM   #338
xblade
Critical Thinker

Also, patty is far larger than the 200 pound mclarin
So is Big Bird.
xblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 01:52 PM   #339
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Crow, the top frame appears compressed horizontally to me. In the bottom frame, McClarin is not at the same angle as Patty. Both of these things mess with perception of width and bulk.

Nevertheless, Patty certainly appears bulkier. But that's what a suit would do.

Patty's height is pretty well pegged by that tree as well, as most of us already know.

We have, of course, been all over this topic 11 ways from Sunday.

It's funny to see makaya come in here and "discover" things though, isn't it?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 02:27 PM   #340
makaya325
Banned

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Crow, the top frame appears compressed horizontally to me. In the bottom frame, McClarin is not at the same angle as Patty. Both of these things mess with perception of width and bulk.

Nevertheless, Patty certainly appears bulkier. But that's what a suit would do.

Patty's height is pretty well pegged by that tree as well, as most of us already know.

We have, of course, been all over this topic 11 ways from Sunday.

It's funny to see makaya come in here and "discover" things though, isn't it?
Yet when skeptics claim that mclarin is taller, according to your ambigious photo, we should accept it? Did i mention that mclarin walked the same exact trackway patty did?
Old 28th January 2009, 02:47 PM   #341
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Crowlogic View Post
Sweaty, I've seen the McClarin footage all the way through. The differences in overall motion are impressive.
In the event of Jim compressed or stretched it does not change his locked knees or his arm ratio.

That's true....the differences between the two of them are quite large, and significant...and noticeable within a wide range of mis-scaling.

One other difference is in their postures....Patty's is distinctly less upright than Jim's.

I'll post another frame or two from Jim's walk later tonight.

Quote:
I've tried to find the full clip again but so far no luck.

I've never seen the full video on-line...only a short clip. The full, or nearly full, video is on the LMS dvd. That's where I'm taking these frames from.
Do you have that, by any chance?

Quote:
Incidently the Patty frame is nice quality, one of the better ones I've seen.

Yeah, it is. It's from LMS, too.

As I've compared these two images more this afternoon, I'm really impressed by how closely the objects in the foreground and background match-up. John Green really did a great job with his re-creation!

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 28th January 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 28th January 2009, 02:52 PM   #342
makaya325
Banned

That's true....the differences between the two of them are quite large, and significant...and noticeable within a wide range of mis-scaled images.

One other difference is in their postures....Patty's is distinctly less upright than Jim's.

I'll post another frame or two from Jim's walk later tonight.

I've never seen the full video on-line...only a short clip. The full, or nearly full, video is on the LMS dvd. That's where I'm taking these frames from.
Do you have that, by any chance?

Yeah, it is. It's from LMS, too.

As I've compared these two images more this afternoon, I'm really impressed by how closely the objects in the foreground and background match-up. John Green really did a great job with his re-creation!
Skeptics say that patty is wider bc of padding, but how would a very padded suit move fluidly like real flesh over 42 years ago?
Old 28th January 2009, 03:03 PM   #343
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Skeptics say that patty is wider bc of padding, but how would a very padded suit move fluidly like real flesh over 42 years ago?

Therein lies the mystery of...and the interest in....the Patterson Film.

Old 28th January 2009, 03:31 PM   #344
Crowlogic
Graduate Poster

Yet when skeptics claim that mclarin is taller, according to your ambigious photo, we should accept it? Did i mention that mclarin walked the same exact trackway patty did?
Its not my photo. Its a photo that's on the web and anyone can search it out. I posted it in case you hadn't seen anything form the McClarin film. But the full McClarin film is interesitng in that it shows a tall lanky guy taking a stroll in about as unlike a Patty fashion as can be imagined.

Exact trackway? Yes mention it but the usual suspects will find a way to derail it. Did you know the sky was blue above the Bluff Creek film site when Patterson did his filming. Grant is burried in Grant's tomb too but......

Last edited by Crowlogic; 28th January 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 28th January 2009, 03:47 PM   #345
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Keyser Söze wants to know how Patty`s path was determinated by McClarin & Co. Keyser Söze wants to know if the camera was at the same place that the cam used to shot PGF was. If the answer is an "yes", Keyser Söze wants to know how McClarin & Co. determinated the camera's exact position.

"'Cause they said so" will not be considered by Keyser Söze an adequate answer.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 04:11 PM   #346
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

People walk in different ways. Another person could have walked the same path as McClarin and looked different from both McClarin and Patty.

People claim that while BobH walks funny, it's not like Patty. Well, it's not like McClarin, either.

Unless you have already detemined somehow that Patty is an unknown primate and not a person trying to look like one, McClarin's walk of the trackway says little about Patty, imo.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 04:21 PM   #347
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

And some Pattycakes say a very padded suit looks like fluidly moving flesh ....

I wonder why the overwhelming majority of people who view the film don't happen to agree ?

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 04:24 PM   #348
makaya325
Banned

Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
And some Pattycakes say a very padded suit looks like fluidly moving flesh ....

I wonder why the overwhelming majority of people who view the film don't happen to agree ?
What people? Untrained people like most of us? Show me a scientist who disagrees with me about the fluid movement of patty's sexy calves.
Old 28th January 2009, 04:26 PM   #349
makaya325
Banned

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
People walk in different ways. Another person could have walked the same path as McClarin and looked different from both McClarin and Patty.

People claim that while BobH walks funny, it's not like Patty. Well, it's not like McClarin, either.

Unless you have already detemined somehow that Patty is an unknown primate and not a person trying to look like one, McClarin's walk of the trackway says little about Patty, imo.
Lt, any reasonable person says that its impossible to determine a suited man or unknown primate from a 2-d image! Its pointless to argue. We all have our opinions.
Old 28th January 2009, 05:24 PM   #350
rockinkt
Muse

Lt, any reasonable person says that its impossible to determine a suited man or unknown primate from a 2-d image!
<snip>
That is complete nonsense.
Where do you come up with such idiotic statements?
Are you really that obtuse? Are you 11 years old?
No, wait - I forgot - YOU ARE A TROLL.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 05:26 PM   #351
makaya325
Banned

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
That is complete nonsense.
Where do you come up with such idiotic statements?
Are you really that obtuse? Are you 11 years old?
No, wait - I forgot - YOU ARE A TROLL.
Rockin, do you really think that you can take on my 5"11 230 lb frame? Come on, lol, im not trying to pick a fight, but can you please stop calling me a troll based on typed words for less than a month?
Old 28th January 2009, 05:40 PM   #352
Crowlogic
Graduate Poster

I tried out to be a troll but the weight limit is 107 lbs and depending on my mood I'm either a few ounces of feathers and and attitude or a whopping 102 lbs of NY sunshine. Either form I just love it when the PGF is sitting in my lap as the real honest to Mayberry real deal. Shucks I wonder how many trolls, of any size would have had the moxy to mess with Patty. Yo hey Bieeeecthc you ain't real! 6 seconds later and Patty is furthering her education on the flow patterns of troll guts.

Last edited by Crowlogic; 28th January 2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 28th January 2009, 07:23 PM   #353
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Here's another image from Jim's walk....he's in there...somewhere......

.....5 bucks to the person who finds him first!

Old 28th January 2009, 07:37 PM   #354
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

In order to save myself 5 bucks......here he is...

And here's Patty, behind the same tree...

Jim's slim build and posture allowed him to disappear behind that tree, but that's not the case with Patty.

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 28th January 2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 28th January 2009, 07:52 PM   #355
xblade
Critical Thinker

What people? Untrained people like most of us? Show me a scientist who disagrees with me about the fluid movement of patty's sexy calves.
It doesn't take special training to see a man in a suit. As for scientists who disagree with you....surely you're joking(or trolling), right?
xblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 07:56 PM   #356
xblade
Critical Thinker

In order to save myself 5 bucks......here he is...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...WheresJim4.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...WheresJim5.jpg

And here's Patty, behind the same tree...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...attyTree2A.jpg

Jim's slim build and posture allowed him to disappear behind that tree, but that's not the case with Patty.
Which has, oh....zero to do with whether someone wore a bigfoot suit in Patterson's bigfoot home movie.

I guess that since I can't pilot a rocket ship, the moon landings really WERE hoaxed.

What's next, using a dwarf to show Patty is too tall to be human?

Last edited by xblade; 28th January 2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 28th January 2009, 08:35 PM   #357
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Lt, any reasonable person says that its impossible to determine a suited man or unknown primate from a 2-d image! Its pointless to argue. We all have our opinions.
That's an interesting group of sentences. Weird and incorrect imo, but interesting.

So, if we saw a 2D image of shoulder pads popping out of Patty, it would be impossible to tell Patty was a suit?

Old 28th January 2009, 08:47 PM   #358
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Originally Posted by xblade View Post
Which has, oh....zero to do with whether someone wore a bigfoot suit in Patterson's bigfoot home movie.

I guess that since I can't pilot a rocket ship, the moon landings really WERE hoaxed.

I know it doesn't tell us much, regarding whether or not Patty is a man-in-a-suit....but it does help give some perspective on Patty's overall size, compared to Jim's.
And that was the main purpose of Jim being filmed walking in Patty's steps.

Old 28th January 2009, 09:42 PM   #359
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

I know it doesn't tell us much, regarding whether or not Patty is a man-in-a-suit....but it does help give some perspective on Patty's overall size, compared to Jim's.
And that was the main purpose of Jim being filmed walking in Patty's steps.
There's Patty's size, right there. Check the link:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=oKqBaPwhUPU

Just like Bob.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 11:03 PM   #360
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

IIRC, Patterson and Gimlin went to Bluff Creek because some tracks had been reported there. Somehow, those tracks at Bluff Creek were "all but destroyed" and "just globs in the mud" after a month.

Incidentally, can it be shown how long Roger and BobG were in the area? It was either 3 weeks, or a little over a week, depending on which accounts you read.

Closed Thread

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal