JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot

Old 16th March 2009, 12:42 PM   #41
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
I'll repeat my earlier observation that not all reported sightings need to be true in order for some to be possibly true, or to inspire investigation into the origins of the phenomenon.
That of course brings us to the problem of deciding what's good and what's bad. This is not a process that Bigfoot enthusiasts seem to be able to agree upon.

Quote:
I have serious doubts about the Lake Worth creature and indeed, all other sightings in Texas. The gray-haired anthropologist lady with glasses (whose name I've forgotten) who did the "Ask Science" presentation threw out the "200" number when I've routinely heard 2000 from other sources.
Most Bigfooters with a lick of sense know they need to be talking about numbers in the thousands. Two thousand still, I think, would not be enough to account for the reports. Krantz was of the mind that they were doing quite fine and that there were at least several thousand. I think Eugenie Scott was referencing some footer arguing 200. I can't stress enough how excellent I thought her lecture was. I think any problems like mentioning west rather than east Texas were superficial.

Quote:
The last known Giganto. fossil dates from about 300,000 ya. Natural selection would of course have continued during that time, perhaps producing a "Patty"-like animal with morphology adapted to bipedal locomotion and a smaller jaw than that formerly necessary for a foliovorous diet. I'm not suggesting that "Patty" is definitely one such animal (you know my reservations about "her"), simply that such an animal as I've described might conjecturally exist.
Remember, such an evolution to an omnivorous diet would bring Giganto in direct competition with human ancestors. And that would bring us to the fall down odds of Patty as Giganto descendant evolving the exact same limb proportions as the only guy to ever claim to be her. But we know what we think about that.

Quote:
That's a damn good question. The question in my mind isn't the "9000 calorie" question -- bears and wolves used to live in this exact same location, somehow finding enough nutrition to sustain their populations -- but rather how a conjectured large primate would go about (mostly) avoiding detection after decades of human activity in their conjectured habitat. It's a damn good question.
Thank you. I haven't seen an answer from Texas' TBRC but Oklahoma's MABRC has cracked out enough to suggest that Bigfoot is intrinsically intelligent enough to understand the concept of game cams and the inherent threat they pose to their eluding humans. They suggest the sasquatches will throw an object in front of the game cam and after it takes a shot, scuttle by unsnapped while the camera recovers.

Quote:
They might be related to orangs, but that does not perforce mean that all of their behaviors are going to be exactly like orangs. Humans and chimps have very different sets of behaviors, despite our close kinship. I propose the danger call as one possible means of human avoidance; perhaps it's used among the single-female-with-young groups, of whom there are fewer reported sightings, while the solitary males have no such warning system, leading to their more frequent reported sightings. This is all conjecture on my part, a kind of educated guessing game.
The other alternative being that the average person making up Bigfoot fantasies, while being imaginative, is not imaginative enough to break the beast man mold and throw in some kids or females.

Quote:
"Abuse the Farce, Fluke!" If there are Jedi bigfoot, I wonder if there are Sith bigfoot as well? This could be the next area ripe for study! Darth Sasquatch: Misunderstood Misanthrope, or Tragic Hero of the Bigfoot Wars? YOU be the judge.
If Jedi Bigfoots are like wookie Bigfoots, there may be very few. Burgstahlian Bigfoots do employ Sith-like abilities, including stealth and affect mind techniques.

Whoever completely understood that can join me in the Hall of the Sad.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2009, 12:49 PM   #42
kitakaze

Originally Posted by Ashles View Post
I think I'm starting to see the obsession/addiction to Bigfoot threads.

It's like being a moth and encountering a fearsomely bright light of stupidity.
You know it will burn, but how can you stay away?
Slowly we are turning you. Soon your transformation will be complete.

...muWAHAHAHA!!!

fell teh bern, mang... kthxbai

kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2009, 12:51 PM   #43
Ashles
Pith Artist

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Slowly we are turning you. Soon your transformation will be complete.
Do you know if there anywhere I can find out more about something called 'the Patterson Gimlin film'?
Old 16th March 2009, 12:52 PM   #44
kitakaze

ROTFLMAO!

That was good.

Old 16th March 2009, 01:03 PM   #45
JcR
Banned

Can I add that Bigfoot is nothing more than conjecture. may be nothing more than conjecture.
Or will hairy tree stumps suffice. (My Evidence)
I guess I could assign certain living habits of Gorillas, Chimps, and Orangutans to my Tree stump. And once you find my Hairy Tree stump, it will be an easy study (no more conjecture) it doesn't move much.

Dark Stump.

Last edited by JcR; 16th March 2009 at 02:03 PM.
JcR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2009, 01:15 PM   #46
Bill Munns
Banned

"Quote (by somebody else):
These are just opinions and guesses, mind you, not substantiated fact. This is the kind of question that merits entire books being written, as opposed to slim, late-night discussion-board messages based on sheer conjecture."

(Quote from Kit): "Yes, Bill Munns said something similar to that, I believe... "

I did??? Care to jog my memory?
Bill Munns is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2009, 02:00 PM   #47
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JcR View Post
Can I add that Bigfoot is nothing more than conjecture. may be nothing more than conjecture.
Or will hairy tree stumps suffice. (My Evidence)
I guess I could assign certain living habits of Gorillas, Chimps, and Orangutans to my Tree stump. And once you find my Hairy Tree stump, it will be an easy study (no more conjecture) it doesn't move much.
http://forums.randi.org/imagehosting...eb905e30d2.jpg
Dark Stump.
Track down someone named Creekfreak. He can do wonders with that stump!
Old 16th March 2009, 02:43 PM   #48
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Must... Not... Make... Joke...
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2009, 05:19 PM   #49
xblade
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
Did you know the average American never figured how to set their VCR clocks? Do you know the average intelligence of bigfoot hunters and their corresponding capabilities of properly operating a camcorder? The few who have are worthy of Monsterquest and other shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY
So, basically, you're arguing that bigfoot believers aren't very smart, lol. Not much of a defense on the issue if you ask me.

Quote:
Quote:
That's a damn good question. The question in my mind isn't the "9000 calorie" question -- bears and wolves used to live in this exact same location, somehow finding enough nutrition to sustain their populations -- but rather how a conjectured large primate would go about (mostly) avoiding detection after decades of human activity in their conjectured habitat. It's a damn good question.
It wouldn't....that's the point.

Quote:
My guess would be that if bigfoot (plural) exist, then they must have learned to be cautious of human beings, perhaps helping one another avoid humans by means of an "enemy!" call or a similar enculturated response, known among some primate species.
I guess Patty skipped class the day that lesson was taught. Instead of avoiding humans, she did everything she could to be seen, and videotaped no less, by two humans.

Do they also call out to warn one another of all the camera traps spread out all across this country...the same camera traps that catch clear photos of other elusive creatures that DO exist?

If we can get a pic of a raccoon riding a wild boar, I think we should have a decent pic of a bigfoot by now.

Last edited by xblade; 16th March 2009 at 05:42 PM.
xblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2009, 06:54 PM   #50
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

Originally Posted by xblade View Post
(snip)

If we can get a pic of a raccoon riding a wild boar, I think we should have a decent pic of a bigfoot by now.

http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/wp-...e-cam-coon.jpg
Hakuna matata!
Old 16th March 2009, 07:49 PM   #51
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Do you know if there anywhere I can find out more about something called 'the Patterson Gimlin film'?
No, the information is not obtainable. There is no information about this film, save mention of the name and the creators.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2009, 08:31 PM   #52
kitakaze

I will never, ever get tired of seeing that. Best game cam shot ever.

JcR, what can we have you do with this?

Old 17th March 2009, 07:15 AM   #53
EHocking
Philosopher

So, basically, you're arguing that bigfoot believers aren't very smart, lol. Not much of a defense on the issue if you ask me.
And not true. Have another look at the video at Post18 by Kitakaze.
Quote:
And a separate myakka ape video. Typical guys in the trees vid:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Notice that the figure being tracked is always in focus? There is no hunting by the camcorders autofocus as they zoom in and out or track across contrasting foreground and background - unlike most blobsquatch and ufo video.

Also no flaring when the camera pans from relatively dark forest to zoomed in on a (by contrast) bright "clearing" where the subject is.

I have a particularly good digital camcorder, and to have achieved this sort of exposure and focus control I would have had to preset the focus and aperture/exposure manually in order for this video not to be a flaring, blurry mess.

So to claim that bf proponents can't capture a non-blurry image due to incompetence with imaging equipment is patently false.

Of course the subject of the video is completely obscured, so a non-blurry video of an alleged bf is still useless as evidence.

How convenient.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 17th March 2009 at 07:16 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 07:58 AM   #54
Hitch
Muse

Well done. A near perfect Chewbacca defense. I am impressed.
Hitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 08:04 AM   #55
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

JcR, what can we have you do with this?
A little Photoshop action can have a Bigfoot hoisting that coon on a hog.
Old 17th March 2009, 08:19 AM   #56
Drewbot
Illuminator

Personally I think all the videos I've seen are unambiguous (obviously fake). So I don't know what you are referring to.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
A little Photoshop action can have a Bigfoot hoisting that coon on a hog.
Imagine the implications of Bigfoot Tossing a 200 lb hog, with a Raccoon hanging on for dear life.

Last edited by Drewbot; 17th March 2009 at 08:21 AM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 09:21 AM   #57
Hitch
Muse

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Imagine the implications of Bigfoot Tossing a 200 lb hog, with a Raccoon hanging on for dear life.
All because the raccoon laughed at him for trying to open a can of baked beans with a screwdriver.
Hitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 10:08 AM   #58
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
All because the raccoon laughed at him for trying to open a can of baked beans with a screwdriver.
When pancakes could be had, just for the taking..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 11:57 AM   #59
kitakaze

Here is the Bigfoot needed for the throw...

Here is the pig and rider...

And can Money fit in the mix?

At the very least we could have a JREF Bigfoot skeptic mascot. There could possibly be a coat of arms, even.

Old 17th March 2009, 12:31 PM   #60
Ashles
Pith Artist

That cheeky little critter gets around.

Old 17th March 2009, 03:18 PM   #61
GT/CS
Illuminator

Here is the Bigfoot needed for the throw...

http://forums.randi.org/imagehosting...aba79d0cf4.jpg

Here is the pig and rider...

And can Money fit in the mix?

http://forums.randi.org/imagehosting...4c128c4113.jpg

At the very least we could have a JREF Bigfoot skeptic mascot. There could possibly be a coat of arms, even.
So MMM annoys a bigfoot with his calls and gets a 'coon-pig thrown at his head? I like it!
Old 17th March 2009, 06:20 PM   #62
xblade
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Ashles View Post
That cheeky little critter gets around.

http://forums.randi.org/imagehosting...ffa9d96b24.jpg
lol. This has to be real too. You can even see the muscles flexing due to the weight of the raccoon. At any rate, we must view this photo neutrally. It could be a natural animal carrying another natural animal.
xblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 06:25 PM   #63
xblade
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well done. A near perfect Chewbacca defense. I am impressed.

Old 17th March 2009, 10:28 PM   #64
Vortigern99
Philosopher

lol. This has to be real too. You can even see the muscles flexing due to the weight of the raccoon. At any rate, we must view this photo neutrally. It could be a natural animal carrying another natural animal.
Nice impression. Do you do Walken too?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2009, 12:05 AM   #65
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Canada contains over one billion acres of unspoiled woodlands

Seriously? I'm not even being snarky. That's amazing, if true.

Coon and Boar: They fight crime.
Old 18th March 2009, 05:58 AM   #66
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortigern99
Canada contains over one billion acres of unspoiled woodlands
Seriously? I'm not even being snarky. That's amazing, if true.
Weellll, close enough for government work, I guess.

From Natural Resources Canada
  • Canada has 402.1 million hectares of forest and other wooded land...
(thats 996 million acres)
  • About 8% of Canada's forest area is protected by legislation. About 40% of the total forest landbase is subject to varying degrees of protection such as integrated land-use planning or defined management areas such as certified forests.
  • Annually, less than 1% of Canada's forests are harvested.
I guess, from that you could say that 99% are "unspoiled", but this quick fact:
  • By June 2008, almost 138 million hectares of Canada's forests were certified as being sustainably managed by one or more of three globally recognized certification standards.
.. gives the impression that over 1/3 of Canada's forests are managed - not what I would call unspoiled, but that may be merely semantics.

But I guess the point that was being made was that there is a billion acres of forest that bf can hide in, whereas, from the above facts, 1/3 of that area is managed by various forestry interests - which involves people travelling and working in the area.

Still, a nice little get out for bf searchers and researchers - "Theres over 650 million acres that bf can hide in!"
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite

Last edited by EHocking; 18th March 2009 at 06:01 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2009, 03:47 PM   #67
JcR
Banned

David Hobbs would make a great commentator for this.
JcR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2009, 04:17 PM   #68
kitakaze

OMFG... I just laughed so, so, so very hard for, like, 10 minutes. I can't wipe the smile off my face. I dare not look at that again while trying to type. There must be some more recognition I can give this than a post of praise. Can I nominate an image? We should have a poll for JcR's best or maybe a JcR appreciation thread in Humour or Community. It's gold, Jerry! GOLD!!!

Old 18th March 2009, 04:22 PM   #69
kitakaze

Originally Posted by Bill Munns View Post
"Quote (by somebody else):
These are just opinions and guesses, mind you, not substantiated fact. This is the kind of question that merits entire books being written, as opposed to slim, late-night discussion-board messages based on sheer conjecture."

(Quote from Kit): "Yes, Bill Munns said something similar to that, I believe... "

I did??? Care to jog my memory?
Sorry, Bill. Just saw you there and remembered I hadn't answered that. Just acknowledging the importance of similar discussions. Here's that post:

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...&postcount=975

Old 18th March 2009, 07:15 PM   #70
xblade
Critical Thinker

Nice impression. Do you do Walken too?
No, just footer. Sorry.
Old 18th March 2009, 07:37 PM   #71
Vortigern99
Philosopher

Ah, good. Well, I'm not a footer, so the imitation doesn't flatter me. But thanks for tryin'!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2009, 12:37 PM   #72
patchbunny
Graduate Poster

Wolverine filmed near Truckee, California. Until first photographed last year, it's the first confirmation wolverines are in the state since 1922.

Most recent video can be found here.

Love the clarity of the footage.
"So, they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them! I'll show them how many boners the Joker can make!" -- The Joker, Batman #66
patchbunny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2009, 12:47 PM   #73
Drewbot
Illuminator

PatchBunny- Link Broke Kthanxbai
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2009, 12:55 PM   #74
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.kcra.com/news/18966905/detail.html#

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2009, 02:16 PM   #75
Bill Munns
Banned

Kit:

Thank you for the link reference.

JcR:

Loved it!

Bill
Bill Munns is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2009, 06:13 PM   #76
xblade
Critical Thinker

Ah, good. Well, I'm not a footer, so the imitation doesn't flatter me.
It wasn't meant to.
Old 19th March 2009, 06:24 PM   #77
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I couldn't get the video quoted upthread to display, but, based on this frame only (and disregarding the fact that the animal actually does exist), I, personally couldn't that your quoted frame as proof of existences. It is for the same reason that I have a number of doubts about the confidence in the evidence for the rediscovery of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker (as a case in point of "poor" supporting evidence). This countered by the fact that I'm an avid birdwatcher, a closet conservationist and an eternal romantic that would dearly wish that the bird was indeed still extant.

Not picking on you personally, but that particular frame is about as good as any blobsqatch shot. If you disregard the fact that the animal does indeed exist, analyse what you can discern from the quality of the photo as a purely intellectual exercise (call it Devil's Advocate if you wish to get formal).
Old 19th March 2009, 07:36 PM   #78
CORed
Philosopher

Until somebody comes up with indisputable physical (not photos, movies of videos, they can easily be faked), I' going to go with, "There ain't no such animal."
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2009, 08:47 PM   #79
patchbunny
Graduate Poster

The still shot isn't the greatest, but the video link is quite clear. Don't know why the link is giving folks troubles. It worked on my PC at home and work.

I look at the video not as much as "this is indisputable proof", but as "if a game camera can capture in excellent clarity a creature that's not been seen in the state for 86 years, where the hell are all the bigfoot videos that show a clear, unambiguous image"?

With that, I'm away from the computer for a while. Enjoy the thread without me.
"So, they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them! I'll show them how many boners the Joker can make!" -- The Joker, Batman #66
patchbunny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2009, 08:57 PM   #80
Orthoptera
Scholar

The California wolverine case is a perfect example of why the Bigfoot thing is so ludicrous. On Feb. 28, 2008, a photo trap (one of a large array set out for a marten study) snaps a picture of a wolverine. Within a few days:
Quote:
Dogs trained to identify wolverine scat were used to search the area. A large grid (approximately 150 square miles) with remote cameras and hair snares was established and monitored. Ground searches were made looking for wolverine tracks. Flights were conducted to detect possible radio telemetry signals from wolverines previously fitted with radio transmitters in studies in Montana.

These combined efforts yielded a search of 155 miles. Approximately 50 scat and hair samples were found and sent to the Forest Service Rocky Mountain Research Station's Genetic Laboratory for analysis.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0327093622.htm

Within a month, DNA analysis had determined the animal's sex and geographic origin.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0403125451.htm

Bigfoot hunters should consider the above referenced articles carefully-- this is how real biologists operate every day.
Orthoptera is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal