JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 8th April 2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Eddie Dane
Illuminator

Why does one go into shock?

Why does physical or psychological trauma cause a person to go into shock?

Someone told me that is nature's anaesthetic, making the process of dying much less painful.

But I try not to think in terms of "nature designed this for that purpose".

There had to be an advantage to shock for it to evolve did it not?

Any ideas?
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2009, 09:27 AM   #2
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen many animals being killed by other animals apparently going into a shock-type state, where they just give up fighting.
That's not a survivable trait, difficult to pass that on to the descendants you won't have.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Two different types of shock being described here.

Psychological shock, I think, is connected to a sudden rush of the "fight-or-flight" hormones. This may prime the body to take some extreme action, but it can be so strong that it overwhelms the senses for a time.

Physical "shock", that is cardiovascular shock, is the process of the peripheral circulation shutting down following severe trauma.

I once read an article comparing military casualty survival in Vietnam and the Falklands. In Vietnam the medics jumped on the casualties and set up i/v fluids and warmed them and did everything they could to get the circulation going and bring them out of shock. In the Falklands the climate was cold and the terrain was isolated, and many casualties were left on cold battlefields in shock for quite some time before they were airlifted back to the medical facilities.

The Falklands survival rate was better.

This led trauma surgeons to consider whether the whole shock thing was beneficial, helping stem bleeding, and putting the body into a sort of suspended animation state while the immediate injuries stabilised. I'm not sure where the article was, or how much of this has found its way into modern practice, but it was an interesting observation.

Rolfe.

Last edited by Rolfe; 8th April 2009 at 09:31 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Having experiencing physiological shock on several occasions, from different severities of injury, I speculate that there's a balance between two mechanisms, both of which can improve survival chances under certain circumstances, but whose effects tend to be opposed to one another.

One mechanism is that the immediate pain of the injury seems to be suppressed. So, if you really need to keep fighting or running or whatever to survive, and it's physically possible to do so, you have a chance to do so without being debilitated by the pain.

The other, shock, counterbalances that. In cases where I've suffered an injury that's more severe than I immediately realized (due to the short-term suppression of pain), the shock reaction made me less likely to continue unnecessary activity that could have worsened the injury. Of course, these were in circumstances where I was able to stop what I was doing and tend the injury, rather than e.g. continue fighting off the bear.

In both cases I'm talking about relatively minor (that is, survivable without modern medicine) injuries such as strained joints and broken bones. Whether or not shock occurs as a result of injuries that our distant ancestors couldn't survive in any case would be irrelevant as far as the evolution of those physiological mechanisms is concerned.

This conjecture would only make sense if vigorous physical activity following the injury temporarily wards off the shock reaction. Anecdotal evidence suggests that it does, but I don't know for sure, though I suspect this is something experts in the area do know.

Respectfully,
Myriad
Old 8th April 2009, 11:30 AM   #5
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Physical "shock", that is cardiovascular shock, is the process of the peripheral circulation shutting down following severe trauma.
Just to tie this into the "why" part of the question: a greater supply of blood and oxygen is sent to the vital organs, which enhances survival.
Old 8th April 2009, 11:38 AM   #6
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
In both cases I'm talking about relatively minor (that is, survivable without modern medicine) injuries such as strained joints and broken bones.
That's not shock, sorry. Shock is major loss of blood pressure, due to blood loss, a major infarction, and the like, and is nearly always fatal without immediate treatment.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...rticlekey=5477

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2009, 11:52 AM   #7
shadron
Philosopher

Agree with Roger there. It is failure of the circulatory system to deliver oxygen and sugars to the cells that require them. It is usually the result of bleeding injury, external or (worse) internal, and also sometimes the result of certain diseases or disease toxins which change the permeability of blood vessels, allowing the pressure to drop. The blood vessel have to be pressurized in order for a beating heart to force blood through the capillaries; if they're empty, or even only empty to the point of being flaccid, then the beating doesn't produce the desired result. The best cure for shock is to patch the leak(s) and intravenous whole blood or plasma; anything to get the pressure up. First aid is to raise the feet and legs so there is more blood pressure around the heart, and particularly to the brain.

A heart attack can be considered shock, but the attack itself is the more immediate worry, and treatment is of a toally different class.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2009, 11:55 AM   #8
ElMondoHummus
0.25 short of being half-witted

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Why does physical or psychological trauma cause a person to go into shock?

Someone told me that is nature's anaesthetic, making the process of dying much less painful.

But I try not to think in terms of "nature designed this for that purpose".

There had to be an advantage to shock for it to evolve did it not?

Any ideas?
Damn, this is a serious thread... and I was going to make a joke about opening up my credit card bills.

Anyway, Roger's link describes it best:

Originally Posted by Medicine.net "Definition of Shock"
There is failure of the circulatory system to maintain adequate blood flow. This sharply curtails the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to vital organs. It also compromises the kidney and so curtails the removal of wastes from the body.
Basically, the body slides into this state of dysfunction when the injury is so severe, the circulatory system fails to do even it's basic job. That's the way I read that link. One system gets messed up, that leads to another system failing... things start to domino.

Rolfe: If you ever find that Falkland's study, I'll be damn interested in reading it. My college education may be a distant memory , but I'd still love to see what it has to say.
"... my favorite meal is grilled filet of spherical cow of uniform density ... with a side of mashed potatoes of indeterminate volume, peas arranged in an optimal packing configuration, and a glass of ideal fluid." (PhysicsForums)
ElMondoHummus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2009, 03:39 PM   #9
casebro
Philosopher

I've always figured psychological shock is seeing the wild pitch come towards your head, and the next thing you know you are in the dug out. But it didn't hurt me none....But it didn't hurt me none....But it didn't hurt me none....

And waking up underneath your dirt bike, feeling very comfortable in spite of the burns happening against the exhaust pipe. The feeling is like the relaxation of hypnosis. But it didn't hurt me none....But it didn't hurt me none....

Or in a totaled car. Or getting hit in the head when a blank flies off of the lathe. I never felt any impacts, but did black out. Or at least my knees turned to rubber. I've read that that is what a 'glass jaw' is- you black out because you know what is coming.

My guess is that it's a way of inducing 'playing possum', you drop like a rock, in hopes that the predator will go find something more exciting to play with?

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2009, 03:51 PM   #10
Rolfe

When I found myself on the road under my motorbike, with the hot exhaust on top of my thigh, I got out from under there faster than you would believe. Normally, I had trouble lifting that bike. This time, even though I was under it and not in a good leverage position, I practically levitated it. I still maintain most of the muscle soreness I had the next day was due to doing that, rather than the actual fall.

Rolfe.
Old 9th April 2009, 12:32 AM   #11
Eddie Dane
Illuminator

Lots of good answers so far.

So real shock is not a function, but just a side effect of loss of circulation.

And there is something else that people call "shock", causing some kind of hypnotic state that helps you ignore pain.

This is probably a whole different phenomena.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2009, 03:08 AM   #12
Rolfe

I imagine it's a whole different phenomenon.

Rolfe the pedant.
Old 9th April 2009, 04:03 AM   #13
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I imagine it's a whole different phenomenon.

Rolfe the pedant.
Rolfe, a pendant?

I'm shocked.
Old 9th April 2009, 08:35 AM   #14
Folly
Thinker

Originally Posted by Mashuna View Post
Rolfe, a pendant?

I'm shocked.
A Rolfe pendant? I want one!
Folly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2009, 08:54 AM   #15
macdoc
Philosopher

Search on "Golden Hour" and shock to see a lot of info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hour_(medicine)

It must be very frustrating for medical persons to see someone slip away that could have been saved with just a few minutes extra.

Next time you see that Ambulance with flashing lights- keep it in mind and hustle out of the way.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2009, 09:43 AM   #16
TX50
Graduate Poster

It'd have saved a whole lot of confusion if the medics had called it something
other than "shock". "Hypovolemia" or something. I used to get irritated
whenever a sloppy reporter would talk of someone "suffering from shock"
when they'd only had a fright.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2009, 09:49 AM   #17
Morrigan
Crone of War

Speaking of physiological reactions that I can't quite explain, what about itches? We all know that the more you scratch an itch, the more you increase the irritation. So why do our brains send the signal, "scratch me!", when it clearly shouldn't? I see no evolutionary advantage but like shock this may be a side-effect of something else.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2009, 10:06 AM   #18
IXP
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Speaking of physiological reactions that I can't quite explain, what about itches? We all know that the more you scratch an itch, the more you increase the irritation. So why do our brains send the signal, "scratch me!", when it clearly shouldn't? I see no evolutionary advantage but like shock this may be a side-effect of something else.
I suspect the scratching motion evolved to remove insects, which are a likely cause of an itch.
Old 9th April 2009, 11:16 AM   #19
Rolfe

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
It'd have saved a whole lot of confusion if the medics had called it something
other than "shock". "Hypovolemia" or something. I used to get irritated
whenever a sloppy reporter would talk of someone "suffering from shock"
when they'd only had a fright.

Gets better. In Scotland when they speak of someone "having a shock", oldtimers sometimes mean a stroke.

Rolfe.
Old 9th April 2009, 12:09 PM   #20
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

To confuse things even further, besides hypovolemic (not enough volume) and cardiogenic (not pumping right) and neurogenic/psychogenic shock, there's also anaphylactic shock, caused by an allergic reaction which dilates the blood vessels & renders the pumping action of the heart less effective - and similar shock type from poisoning, which I forget the name of...
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2009, 12:15 PM   #21
cj.23
Master Poster

When I were in the business we were actually told never to use the term "shock", as it covers so many different sitiuations.. Not helpful, but perhaps interesting...

cj x

My dull life blogged http://jerome23.wordpress.com
cj.23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2009, 04:02 PM   #22
sanguine
Thinker

Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
To confuse things even further, besides hypovolemic (not enough volume) and cardiogenic (not pumping right) and neurogenic/psychogenic shock, there's also anaphylactic shock, caused by an allergic reaction which dilates the blood vessels & renders the pumping action of the heart less effective - and similar shock type from poisoning, which I forget the name of...
Note that the consistent item across the board here is insufficient perfusion of vital organs (that is, not enough oxygen to the things what need oxygen). Whether shock comes from blood loss (hypovolemia due to having spilled most of said volume) or from your circulatory system blowing wide open (anaphylaxis), the net effect is not enough blood (and thus oxygen) where you need it.

Of course, in the case of anaphylaxis, you're quite likely to suffocate to death well before the shock gets you, due to the whole closed airway issue. The shock component can be pretty dramatic, though -- I've treated one case of anaphylaxis that occurred at a party, where the person involved unknowingly ate something they were allergic to, then passed out and did a faceplant on their wine glass.

(Psychogenic shock, of the "eek!" variety, is also just about lack of perfusion as your response to some situation makes your blood vessels open up more than is useful. I've seen that one once, too. Surprising.)
sanguine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2009, 09:22 PM   #23
Morrigan
Crone of War

Originally Posted by IXP View Post
I suspect the scratching motion evolved to remove insects, which are a likely cause of an itch.
Interesting theory... hadn't thought of that.

Sorry for the derail.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2009, 01:43 PM   #24
technoextreme
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I've always figured psychological shock is seeing the wild pitch come towards your head, and the next thing you know you are in the dug out. But it didn't hurt me none....But it didn't hurt me none....But it didn't hurt me none....

Or in a totaled car. Or getting hit in the head when a blank flies off of the lathe. I never felt any impacts, but did black out. Or at least my knees turned to rubber. I've read that that is what a 'glass jaw' is- you black out because you know what is coming.

My guess is that it's a way of inducing 'playing possum', you drop like a rock, in hopes that the predator will go find something more exciting to play with?
I would get your brain exaimed if you are in serious by getting hit in the head to the point where you black out. What you are describing are the pysiological effects to a concussion not shock. And your guess is horribly off. It's a response to the fact that your brain just rammed itself into the side of your skull.
It's amazing how many of these "paranormal" icons seem to merge together. There always seem to be theories about how they link together in some way. I'm sure someone has a very good explanation as to how Bigfoot killed JFK to help cover Roswell.-Mark Mekes
This isn't rocket surgery.-Bill Nye

Last edited by technoextreme; 10th April 2009 at 01:46 PM.
technoextreme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology