IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 9/11 litigation , ballot initiatives , nyccan , nyccant

Old 30th July 2009, 07:47 PM   #1
BigAl
Philosopher

NYC Response to Twoofer 911 Investigation Petition: Call out the laughing dogs

Here is the NYC response to the NYCCAN Petition drive. It's a 2-page letter that shows the petition flawed on both the signature count and the legal issues. The guy in the City Clerk's office I spoke to said that the City Clerk has been officially informed that an appeal is about to be filed. That should be good for laughs, too.

Here are the two pages. I hope people can read them, the text of the copy I was given was small and somewhat blurry type. These jpgs do blow up to be readable. In FireFox, a double-click on the image will do it.

http://911links.webs.com/NYCCAN-Fail-1.jpg
http://911links.webs.com/NYCCAN-Fail-2.jpg

I stopped in unannounced. The people were very nice but I think I was lucky to find someone available to answer my request. I think they expect people to call and set up an appointment.
Dept of Redundancy Dept.
BigAl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Thunder
Banned

Ouch!!!

that is some brutally legalistic, honest, and forthright stuff!!

petition signatures missing addresses, not registered to vote in the most recent election, no method of financing provided, greatly overstepping the bounds of the Commission and the City Council, this thing looks dead as Lincoln.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Trojan
Muse

As I said on another thread, there would have to be serious legal flaws for the clerks to throw this out -- and it appears it has several damning flaws,

The twoofer author is clearly very ignorant of the procedure.
Trojan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 07:59 PM   #4
R.Mackey
Philosopher

One would have thought they'd run the basic petition by some legal professional before committing two years and $50,000 (?) to it, or at least listened to the very many critiques of its contents offered for free by "debunkers..."

... or not. Standard M.O. for the Truthers. Competence is not one of their strengths.
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 07:59 PM   #5
Thunder
Banned

The City Clerk put together a very well written and well argued defeat for this pathetic petition.

The Truther fools are welcome to challenge this..I guess. But they will suffer another embarrassing defeat if they do.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 08:07 PM   #6
A W Smith
Philosopher

We Failed! Plese send us more money so we can retain..uhh....someone

Originally Posted by R.Mackey View Post
One would have thought they'd run the basic petition by some legal professional before committing two years and $50,000 (?) to it, or at least listened to the very many critiques of its contents offered for free by "debunkers..."

... or not. Standard M.O. for the Truthers. Competence is not one of their strengths.

Maybe it's a swindle to collect 50K in the guise of a 9/11 petition? Though you will never see a full accounting of where the troofer dollars went. Looks like they retained nobody to oversee something that was crafted on a PC in one evening in some half wits basement. Perhaps their biggest expense was the web hosting of the scam.
Galileo:The jury said I didn't have any mental defects or diseases, they declared me 100% sane. Has a jury ever declared you sane?
Don’t get me lol’n off my chesterfield dude.
A W Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 08:07 PM   #7
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

So as I read it, there were 26,000 signatures total. And of those, more than 24,500 were invalid.

Craptacular effort, twoofers.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Speaking as a professional bureaucrat who occassionally has to smack down members of the public with persistent delusions, I just have to say.....Epic Smack Down!

Twoofer pathetic response in three, two, one.....
Old 30th July 2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Thunder
Banned

Could the New York City Clerk be.....a Zionist???

ah soooo..the plot thickens!!!

No doubt the Mossad sent a direct order to Michael Zionist Bloomberg to quash this petition!!

=)
Old 30th July 2009, 08:13 PM   #10
cyclonic
Muse

Go suck a lemon twoofers.
cyclonic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 08:20 PM   #11
A W Smith
Philosopher

wonder when deep44 will read this thread?

Originally Posted by deep44 View Post
I would be surprised if the older signatures were the problem, but there's certainly that possibility (see '9/11 investigation' thread for additional details).

I actually suspect they made some minor change(s) to the petition between campaigns. Either way - we'll find out soon enough.

Ohhh! we found out alright

Galileo:The jury said I didn't have any mental defects or diseases, they declared me 100% sane. Has a jury ever declared you sane?
Don’t get me lol’n off my chesterfield dude.
A W Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 08:23 PM   #12
R.Mackey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
Maybe it's a swindle to collect 50K in the guise of a 9/11 petition?
The thought had crossed my mind, but no, I don't think so. When they do that, like in the TruthBurn idiocy or Gage's shilling or Craig and Aldo's little movies, it's usually clumsy and obvious.

But then, who can say? Their minds work in mysterious ways.
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 08:25 PM   #13
triforcharity
Banned

Wow, this is so epic fail, I cannot even begin to find a picture that conveys how much of an epic failure it is!!

I thought pretty much every one the reasons this was disqualified was pointed out in various threads on this forum.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 08:35 PM   #14
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

This is beyond "epic", this is failure on a galactic scale.

I'm almost at a loss for words. I think if you're trying to circumvent the law, a necessary step in that process would be actually, like, studying the law or hiring that lawyer instead of having him waiting in the wings. Am I wrong?

At least they aren't as stupid as the truthers who sent donations.

Last edited by TJM; 30th July 2009 at 08:37 PM.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 08:39 PM   #15
BigAl
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Here is the NYC response to the NYCCAN Petition drive.

Fee free to post these URLs to any Twoofer site you haven't been banned from. 911links isn't going anywhere.
Dept of Redundancy Dept.
BigAl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 08:42 PM   #16
Unsecured Coins
Hoku-maniac

Unsecured Coins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 08:50 PM   #17
The Big Dog

1400 signatures?

Are they kidding?

Unbelievable.

Pack it up losers.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 09:02 PM   #18
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drudgewire View Post
So as I read it, there were 26,000 signatures total. And of those, more than 24,500 were invalid.
Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
1400 signatures?

Are they kidding?

Unbelievable.

Pack it up losers.

Actually, it sounds to me like there were a total of 50,667 signatures. At least 24,664 of them were invalid, leaving at most 26,003 valid signatures.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 30th July 2009 at 09:08 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 09:32 PM   #19
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Here is the NYC response to the NYCCAN Petition drive. It's a 2-page letter that shows the petition flawed on both the signature count and the legal issues.

That's awesome, BigAl! Thank you very much for obtaining the letter and sharing it.

To the "truth"ers, I hate to say, "I told you so," but ... well, you know.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 09:38 PM   #20
carlitos
"más divertido"

Attention Truthers! Do you see what BigAl did here? He wanted to know about something related to NYC government, so he stopped by the city clerk's office. In the real world!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 09:56 PM   #21
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Two thumbs up, Big Al! I have linked at SLC.

ETA: I don't know if they paid all the signature gatherers a buck a signature; I know they were paying them that rate at the end when they had some money to spend.

Last edited by Brainster; 30th July 2009 at 09:59 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 10:41 PM   #22
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

NYCCANned.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:45 PM   #23
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
NYCCANned.
Today's Golden Guffaw winnah!

Hoku, you should write headlines for the Post.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:50 PM   #24
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
Today's Golden Guffaw winnah!

Quote:
Hoku, you should write headlines for the Post.

Nah, they are Yankee territory. *Shudder*
Old 30th July 2009, 11:09 PM   #25
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Actually, it sounds to me like there were a total of 50,667 signatures. At least 24,664 of them were invalid, leaving at most 26,003 valid signatures.
Not too sure about that. They did collect signatures from all 5 boroughs and not just NYC so those signatures are invalid.
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 11:10 PM   #26
jhunter1163

Random observations regarding this epic, nay, Biblical fail:

I recall seeing somewhere (I think it was at 9/11 Blogger, not sure though; sorry) that NYCCAN'T spent $75,000 on this effort. When I think about the good they could have done for people with that money...

And is anyone else as tired as I am of the way Truthers hide behind the skirts of the families and first responders? It seems like everything they try to do is couched in "the families and first responders want..." when as far as I can tell most family members and first responders want no such thing.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:38 PM   #27
deep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Attention Truthers! Do you see what BigAl did here? He wanted to know about something related to NYC government, so he stopped by the city clerk's office. In the real world!

Notice that BigAl didn't even know the letter was a matter of public record until someone pointed it out:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com....php?p=4945493
deep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 11:41 PM   #28
~enigma~
Banned

Notice that BigAl didn't even know the letter was a matter of public record until someone pointed it out:

So? Are you hurt because NYCCAN failed for all the world to see and you now realize you are a member of a cult of liars?
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2009, 11:53 PM   #29
jhunter1163

I thought they had "the best election lawyer in NYC" on the case on this. You would think that a good lawyer would have told them that their petition contained no less than five disqualifying errors.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:56 PM   #30
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Wow, that's some amazing Truthtm, Deep.

You're totally ignoring the dozen pages of people telling you, step by step, that these are the things that were wrong with the petition and their campaign? Do you have nothing to add other than the pathetic "gotcha" above?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2009, 12:23 AM   #31
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Drudgewire View Post

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post

As I read it, only 26,003 of the total signatories were qualified to sign. The others weren't in the right borough, perhaps, as ~enigma~ said.

24,664 of those signatories signatures were invalid, due to failing to include the date, their address and/or get their signature witnessed (ETA: or they were not registered to vote).

Perhaps LashL or Big Al might be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 31st July 2009 at 12:43 AM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2009, 12:41 AM   #32
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

ha ha

Stundie - Avoided like the plaque, its a scottish turn of phrase.
funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2009, 12:43 AM   #33
cludgie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
I thought they had "the best election lawyer in NYC" on the case on this. You would think that a good lawyer would have told them that their petition contained no less than five disqualifying errors.
It doesn't even look like they managed to afford Lionel Hutz.
cludgie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2009, 12:46 AM   #34
deep
Graduate Poster

Well, the price of admission is 30,000 valid signatures - not sure what there is to "appeal", since it doesn't sound like the older signatures were rejected.

As for the additional comments, don't misinterpret them as anything other than the opinion of Corporation Counsel. Those objections could be challenged in court (had they actually factored into the rejection). The part about appointing Commissioners is clearly a problem (as LashL pointed out in another thread), but the other objections appear to be judgment calls.

Now, I'm not suggesting that a judge would necessarily feel any differently about those provisions, but at least there's room to argue.
deep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2009, 12:46 AM   #35
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

And somehow you think that that is a valid criticism of an individual who, despite not knowing the specifics about whether or not he would able to obtain the document, actually took it upon himself to go to the source in the real world, make the appropriate inquiries, obtain the relevant document, and post it?

Bizarre.

I would think that you should be annoyed at the "truth"er cult leaders whose dogma you follow, as they did not share the document with you and your fellow "truth"™ movement members, and did not bother to tell you the reasons for the petition being rejected, choosing instead to simply make further appeals to "truth"ers for more money, without giving you the information that they should have shared with you. Are you getting it yet? Here you are making a left-handed (and utterly ridiculous) jab at a rationalist who took the time and trouble to ascertain the information and obtain the documentation that your "truth"er cult leaders should have given to you and should have published days ago, but didn't.

Does any of this make you realize that perhaps those whose dogma you follow are not telling you the whole, unvarnished truth™? And does that not make you rethink your willingness to follow that unsubstantiated dogma?

Last edited by LashL; 31st July 2009 at 01:03 AM.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2009, 01:08 AM   #36
deep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
You're totally ignoring the dozen pages of people telling you, step by step, that these are the things that were wrong with the petition and their campaign? Do you have nothing to add other than the pathetic "gotcha" above?

Did you notice that most of those people were wrong? There's every indication that the older signatures were accepted, and the Corporate Council certainly didn't mention anything about subpoena power in his/her list of objections - those were the two big ones.

LashL made a few good points in one of her posts, but other than that, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I suspected that the petition changed at some point -- so I was wrong, too. It's a discussion, not a contest.
Old 31st July 2009, 01:24 AM   #37
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Did you notice that most of those people were wrong? There's every indication that the older signatures were accepted, and the Corporate Council certainly didn't mention anything about subpoena power in his/her list of objections - those were the two big ones.

LashL made a few good points in one of her posts, but other than that, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I suspected that the petition changed at some point -- so I was wrong, too. It's a discussion, not a contest.
The document (image 2) says "the petition overreaches in its attempt to confer a range of law enforcement and prosecutorial powers on the Commission". I think you'll find subpoena power is covered there, but I could be wrong.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2009, 01:28 AM   #38
deep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by orphia nay View Post
The document (image 2) says "the petition overreaches in its attempt to confer a range of law enforcement and prosecutorial powers on the Commission". I think you'll find subpoena power is covered there, but I could be wrong.

I believe this is what they were referring to:
10. As a law-enforcement agency, the Commission shall have the right not to publicly disclose activities of a secret or confidential nature and shall have the duty of recording the taking of testimony by film or video, and the duty of providing an opportunity for C-SPAN and other television networks, stations and programs to broadcast Commission proceedings on a live or other basis.
15. The Commission as a temporary investigative office of New York City shall during its lifetime enjoy the same immunities, privileges and prosecutorial discretion granted under law to elected prosecutors.
Old 31st July 2009, 01:34 AM   #39
ref
Master Poster

Wow. Who would have thought this effort would fail.

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2009, 01:38 AM   #40
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by orphia nay View Post
I believe this is what they were referring to:
10. As a law-enforcement agency, the Commission shall have the right not to publicly disclose activities of a secret or confidential nature and shall have the duty of recording the taking of testimony by film or video, and the duty of providing an opportunity for C-SPAN and other television networks, stations and programs to broadcast Commission proceedings on a live or other basis.
15. The Commission as a temporary investigative office of New York City shall during its lifetime enjoy the same immunities, privileges and prosecutorial discretion granted under law to elected prosecutors.
Maybe. It could also be subpoena power too.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories