JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 8th October 2009, 06:09 PM   #1
MetalSeagull
Critical Thinker

Is going from 10-13 Mbps to 6 Mbps internet connection noticably slower?

We're thinking of bundling internet/tv/telephone through Directv. The savings is significant, but the fastest connection they can offer is 6Mbps. Speedtest.net shows that we're now getting between 10 and 13 Mbps.

I'm wondering if it's going to seem annoyingly slow? I play games, but MMOs not FPS so I'm thinking the speed difference might be ok. I don't download huge files, but I hate waiting for video to buffer.
MetalSeagull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2009, 06:23 PM   #2
RussDill
Illuminator

This belongs in computers and internet...but...

If they are selling 6Mbps, it isn't actually 6Mbps, its less than that. Second, how are they delivering the service? Is it over DSL? Satellite?

If its over DSL, your actual speed will vary greatly in relation to your distance to the nearest phone DSL thingy (was it CO?). If its satellite, you can kiss any type of game that requires interactivity goodbye due to the increase in latency.
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2009, 08:07 PM   #3
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

You don't really need much bandwidth to play games (even FPS.) If you've actually got 1.5Mbps, that's more than enough. Most of the computing is done on your home machine, the server just keeps track of the actions of other players, your interactions with them, and the overall status of the game. If you have to wait for videos to buffer at 6Mbps, it's either because they are extremely high quality or the site from which you're downloading them is slow (1.5Mbps is just a little bit too slow to keep HD movies from Youtube moving smoothly, for instance.)

What really matters is latency, as RussDill mentioned. This is the time between when your computer sends out a packet and when it receives confirmation that the packet was received intact. You can find this value by pinging whatever server you play on. In many games it is a value that you can determine as one of the game functions as well, as they typically don't publicize the IP address of the servers.

Sorry, are you switching ISP's or just downgrading your bandwidth?

Last edited by jasonpatterson; 8th October 2009 at 08:08 PM.
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology