JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Education
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 18th November 2009, 04:04 PM   #1
godofpie
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

how to check if someone has a degree?

Is there some way to check if someone's degree is real? michael occoner does regressio therpy to contact aliens. forgive my typing. im at our skeptics meeting looking for info.
godofpie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 04:12 PM   #2
drkitten
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by godofpie View Post
Is there some way to check if someone's degree is real? michael occoner does regressio therpy to contact aliens. forgive my typing. im at our skeptics meeting looking for info.
Contact the school from which the degree is supposed to come; they will usually confirm that someone is or is not a graduate.

If you don't know what the relevant school might be, contact the relevant licensure board -- or see if you can find a biography or c.v
drkitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 04:29 PM   #3
Furcifer
miscreant

Convocation ceremonies might be listed online. If you know the persons real name and school you might be able to cross reference. Notice I said "might". I'm not sure they are.
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 04:54 PM   #4
drkitten
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3bodyproblem View Post
Convocation ceremonies might be listed online. If you know the persons real name and school you might be able to cross reference. Notice I said "might". I'm not sure they are.
Depends on the school. It doesn't help that there may well be forty Michael O'Connors graduating from Whatsamatta U. at the same time, given how common a name like that is.
drkitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 05:11 PM   #5
not daSkeptic
Graduate Poster

Even if you verify that someone does indeed have a degree, you've got to look carefully at the school themselves. An academic degree is nothing more than a formal statement made by an institution claiming that the person mentioned has met some sort of criteria. Ask yourself who is behind that institution and what are the criteria. I know of at least one woo vendor who founded his own "university" and apparently gave himself a Ph.D. It's technically legitimate but completely meaningless.

Formerly daSkeptic.
not daSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Like other posters said, give us more info and we can track this wooster down.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 05:48 PM   #7
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by drkitten View Post
Contact the school from which the degree is supposed to come; they will usually confirm that someone is or is not a graduate.

If you don't know what the relevant school might be, contact the relevant licensure board -- or see if you can find a biography or c.v
I really doubt that would work everywhere. Privacy laws in Australia would prevent the universities from divulging this information.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 06:18 PM   #8
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Advanced degrees with theses (MA, MS, PhD) will have their theses deposited in the dissertation database. In this case, it is generally pretty easy to find someone if you have a little information.

I can't do it at home, however, and only from my office.
"Baseball is a philosophy. The primordial ooze that once ruled our world has been captured in perpetual motion. Baseball is the moment. Its ever changing patterns are hypnotizing yet invigorating. Baseball is an art form. Classic and at the same time...progressive. Baseball is pre-historic and post-modern. Baseball is here to stay."

(Stolen from the side of a lava lamp box, and modified slightly)
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

I can, even from the Planet X. But I need more info.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 06:47 PM   #10
godofpie
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thanks guys. I'll forward this info to our member, Jack, that is trying to debunk this guy and I will try and get more info on this woomiester. One piece of info he did give me is this guy operates out of the Little River area on the NC/SC coastal border.
godofpie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 07:19 PM   #11
Alan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by daSkeptic View Post
I know of at least one woo vendor who founded his own "university" and apparently gave himself a Ph.D. It's technically legitimate but completely meaningless.
...I'll be right back.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2009, 08:32 PM   #12
drkitten
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I really doubt that would work everywhere. Privacy laws in Australia would prevent the universities from divulging this information.
Really? That surprises me. University graduation is a public event -- that would be like refusing to confirm that someone was or was not a Member of Parliament. And the whole point of university education is to issue degrees that can later be validated.
Old 18th November 2009, 09:59 PM   #13
Furcifer
miscreant

Originally Posted by drkitten View Post
Really? That surprises me. University graduation is a public event -- that would be like refusing to confirm that someone was or was not a Member of Parliament. And the whole point of university education is to issue degrees that can later be validated.
Here in Canada when the new privacy act came into effect people just stopped giving out any information. "Better safe than sorry".

My guess is the registrars wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole now.There's too much liability in the case for instance where an employer called to verify a degree and they mistyped the name in and said they had no record of that student attending or graduating or whatever. They'd be told to have the person request an official transcript be mailed to them.

OP: I checked my university website and they have webcasts of convocations all the way back to 2001. Strangely, I can't find a list of graduates to go with them. If you were ambitious enough you could watch the webcasts and try to find the person. That's ambition with a capital "A".
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Education