JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags atheism , david mabus , Dennis Markuze

Old 19th December 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Pure Argent
Certified Castlevania Fanboy

Spammer David Mabus / arrested

He's on Facebook!

Specifically, he created an account to troll the discussion boards of the Atheism fan page. He just started his third thread there, and this one's a little odd. He actually responded to me.

O_o
Old 19th December 2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Pure Argent

I've heard of this guy, and run across him on several sites, but I can't find a comprehensive account of what it is that he's actually on about. Anybody here know?
Old 19th December 2009, 09:01 PM   #3
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

Nostradamus is accurate in his predictions (Depeche Mode proves this) and atheists are going to suffer.

That about sums it up.

All great truths begin as blasphemies. - George Bernard Shaw

God is evil. As soon as you accept that, it all makes sense. - Sledge
grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2009, 11:57 PM   #4
slingblade

http://skippytheskeptic.blogspot.com...vid-mabus.html

Quote:
Turns out David Mabus is actually Dennis Markuze, a Nostradummy from Canada who's greatest "contribution" to the prophecy movement is a weird claim that Nostradamus predicted the coming of Depeche Mode and, through this, the World Trade Center attacks. Apparently we have a celebrity in our midst. I don't know if I take it as a sign of Dennis' decline or my ascension that he's left off bothering Randi and PZ and is now skulking around here.
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Pure Argent

Originally Posted by grayman View Post
Nostradamus is accurate in his predictions (Depeche Mode proves this) and atheists are going to suffer.

That about sums it up.

Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
Dude has head problems. Thanks for the link.
Old 22nd September 2010, 01:14 PM   #6
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

His latest incarnation on Facebook is James Laambi; Rebecca Watson and Joe Nickell have been recent recipients of his attentions.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

He also likes to issue death threats

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2...is_markuze.php

Don't forget to get the t-shirt http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/to...ource=activity

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Aw, bless* him! He's banned from so many places, I suppose facebook was the next step.

*May not reflect my real feelings.
Old 22nd September 2010, 02:30 PM   #9
sadhatter
Philosopher

"Just don't look, just don't look....."

I am not the biggest the simpsons fan, but when it comes to Mabus, i find this advice would be the best weapon in our arsenal against him.

The guy is obviously just in it for the laughs and the attention, and no matter where i see his ramblings i see angry posts afterward, regardless of how quickly his posts are deleted.

Insane? Probably not, in all honesty he seems concerned about keeping " interesting" and keeping a good balance of silly and vitriolic. This to me simply screams fraud. I think if everyone would simply ignore the person/persons, he would eventually go away. But with every thread like this, and with every post back to him, he is a bit more encouraged to keep doing this. He gets his kicks out of people being confused, not so much angry, but confused. So if we really don't want to see him, we need to act like we already don't.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 04:24 PM   #10
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

No sadhatter, he's a lunatic.

I've had a glimpse of some of the backend issues he's caused for forums and such. He spends entire days spamming account creation on sites he's been banned from trying to get a sock through.

He floods peoples e-mail with his vitriol.

He is not a stable individual.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2010, 06:54 PM   #11
Astreja
Springy Goddess

I'm familiar with him. I've had the displeasure of 'disappearing' some of his spam when I was modding at another board.

When I saw the title, I was hoping this was a news item about him being arrested for the death threats he's made.
Astreja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:07 AM   #12
shadron
Philosopher

I was looking into the ThinkingAtheist.com forum. That forum is small enough to be self-policing, and one of the volunteers helping out with admin duties posted this::

Quote:
The Rule From now on, I will be enforcing one rule on this site.

That rule is:

1. Do not be David Mabus.

Anyone who is David Mabus will have their account banned, deleted, and I.P. blocked. I have already done this to all previous Mabus accounts.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:22 AM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator / JREF Forum Liaison

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post

I am not the biggest the simpsons fan, but when it comes to Mabus, i find this advice would be the best weapon in our arsenal against him.

...snip...
Have to agree, I've been spammed via email by him for quite a few years now, thankfully because he is so repetitive I've created some rules that mean I never see any of his emails no matter what new account and name he is using.
If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn 1918-2008
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:27 AM   #14
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post

The guy is obviously just in it for the laughs and the attention, and no matter where i see his ramblings i see angry posts afterward, regardless of how quickly his posts are deleted.

Insane? Probably not, in all honesty he seems concerned about keeping " interesting" and keeping a good balance of silly and vitriolic. This to me simply screams fraud. I think if everyone would simply ignore the person/persons, he would eventually go away. But with every thread like this, and with every post back to him, he is a bit more encouraged to keep doing this. He gets his kicks out of people being confused, not so much angry, but confused. So if we really don't want to see him, we need to act like we already don't.
I think there's a difference between the responses to his posts, which presumably he intends to provoke, wherever he makes them, and threads like this, mostly explaining who he is. It helps those who unexpectedly become the focus of his attention if they can find some explanation of who he is, and that they are not alone. It is rather disappointing that he still apparently has unfettered access to the internet despite his death threats having been reported to the authorities well over a year ago. Whether the threats are something he is willing or able to carry out doesn't have any effect on how they are perceived by someone who receives them out of the blue.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:11 AM   #15
Mojo
Mostly harmless

On the Badscience forum he's usually offered a nice cup of tea and some biscuits.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:37 AM   #16
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Nostradamus and Depeche Mode? I wonder if he's read The EsseX Files.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2010, 04:00 AM   #17
Manger Douse
Scholar

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
On the Badscience forum he's usually offered a nice cup of tea and some biscuits.
And a vacuum cleaner to ****

Edited by Locknar:  Edited, breach of Rule 10. Please do not curse in your posts, or mask swear words in an attempt to circumvent the auto-censor.

Last edited by Locknar; 23rd September 2010 at 04:42 AM.
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 06:18 PM   #18
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

Time to make up wanted posters, he's no longer faceless

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2...ze_exposed.php

Old 3rd October 2010, 06:19 PM   #19
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
Time to make up wanted posters, he's no longer faceless

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2...ze_exposed.php
It would be illegal to say anything about what needs to be done with this clown, so I didn't.
Gawdzilla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2011, 01:54 PM   #20
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Bump. Rather than derailing the FM thread any more.

It would appear that an investigation is in progress (French/Google translation).
From here.
Quote:
Following a deluge of thousands of complaints from around the world, Montreal police have launched an investigation into a St. Laurent man accused of making hundreds, if not thousands of deadly threats. The man is believed to be Dennis Markuze, but uses a variety of pseudonyms when online, including David Mabus and Hebert Marxuxe.
Complainants say that he creates accounts on Twitter or on message boards then starts insulting, harassing, and threatening atheists, scientists, and journalists with profanity-laden messages telling people that they will be executed and subjected to the judgement of God.
In October 2010 Markuze showed up at the Atheist Alliance International conference in Montreal, where he was recognized and challenged by attendees before he left.
Someone identifying themselves as Markuze then went online to the Humanist Canada website and wrote: "believe me, the only reason the photo is available is because I WANTED IT OUT THERE.... actually it is quite a flattering photo of me: With finger cocked and pointing, I say "And I gotta take out these idiots!"
Also stories here, here, here and here. Though at least one xian wackjob claims, in the great tradition of crying "shill", that Markuze is a "Deep Cover Liberal".

It would also seem his mental state is in decline, here's some vintage Markuze from back in 1994.
Quote:
Women are on a lower rung of evolution compared to men, the difference between men and women is like the difference between animals and plants. First comes God, then the Angels, then men, then women, then animals, then plants.

You can count the number of female geniuses on one hand!

Which women have contributed to philosophy, painting, music, chess,etc..? Alright, the Polgar sisters may be geniuses, but they are freaks of nature! To be a genius by defintion is to be a male (Webster, if you are reading this, be sure to add this in your next edition). A female genius is a contradiction of terms. A woman may be intelligent but never a genius,of course, exceptions do occur, like the baby that is born with twelve fingers.

P.S. No hate mail from the ladies, please. I'm safe here behind my computer,you can't scratch out my eyes even if you wanted to.
Back then he managed actual, coherent, sentences of nonsensical, misogynistic bile.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2011, 10:33 PM   #21
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Location: In the midst of a vast, beautiful & uncaring universe
I had thought up until this point "my blog has never been 'Mabussed'", but once I read PZ's article and saw the Depeche Mode video reference, I think this clown actually has commented on my blog. Of course, it seemed to me to be just weird spam, so I deleted it. Interesting...
Old 17th August 2011, 02:09 PM   #22
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Update: 17AUG2011
Montreal police have announced that a suspect has been arrested (story). They have not stated who has been arrested.
The CBC news also covered Markuze/Mabus (about 4:30 in)

However many atheists/humanists with a significant online presence (e.g. PZ) have reported a diminution in insane and ranting death threats over the last few days.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2011, 02:17 PM   #23
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Update: 17AUG2011
Montreal police have announced that a suspect has been arrested (story). They have not stated who has been arrested.
The CBC news also covered Markuze/Mabus (about 4:30 in)

However many atheists/humanists with a significant online presence (e.g. PZ) have reported a diminution in insane and ranting death threats over the last few days.

Well, this certainly would be good news.

He's a lunatic and it's likely only a matter of time before he decides to actually hurt someone.
Old 17th August 2011, 06:26 PM   #24
Complexity
The Woo Whisperer

He's an evil, annoying, and tacky creature.

- W. Somerset Maugham

"Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible; thought is merciless to privilege, established intuititions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."

- Bertrand Russell
Complexity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2011, 06:30 PM   #25
JudeBrando
Banned

Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Everybody else is evil. Are you evil?
JudeBrando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2011, 07:58 PM   #26
AdinDraco
Muse

Originally Posted by JudeBrando View Post
Everybody else is evil. Are you evil?
What's your definition of evil? I consider myself not-evil and, using the barest minimum of info and playing the odds, would assume the vast majority of the rest of the forum members to not be evil either. Otherwise I'm not sure I understand your post.
AdinDraco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2011, 08:00 PM   #27
AdinDraco
Muse

Thinking about it....it doesn't matter if I or anyone else is pure evil incarnate. We can call the specific act of sending hundreds/thousands of death threats "evil" and not be factually wrong.
AdinDraco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2011, 08:51 PM   #28
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The full story:
http://skeptools.wordpress.com/2011/...l-media-mabus/
Old 17th August 2011, 09:16 PM   #29
devnull
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
He's probably not evil, only ill.
Old 17th August 2011, 09:28 PM   #30
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

Thanks for linking to this (and for krelnik for writing it and all his and everyone else's efforts, of course). It's fascinating how it turned out.

Last edited by AdMan; 17th August 2011 at 09:30 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2011, 03:12 AM   #31
Darat
Lackey

Being one his targets for several years now I had wondered why he seemed to have almost given up the ghost this year, it looks as if he had turned his attention to Twitter and with me not being active on Twitter I was thankfully no longer one of his primary targets. I can understand why some folk may have felt threatened with the Twitter stuff since he was limited to 140 characters it made his threats clearer but he has been making all the same threats since at least 2004 (which is when I got my first email from him) so in my view I don't think there was an escalation or change that indicates that he may now present a physical threat. I've always felt sorry for him as he was obviously a deeply disturbed individual. If his arrest results in him receiving some form of treatment I'll be very pleased.
If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2011, 03:48 AM   #32
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Being one his targets for several years now I had wondered why he seemed to have almost given up the ghost this year, it looks as if he had turned his attention to Twitter and with me not being active on Twitter I was thankfully no longer one of his primary targets. I can understand why some folk may have felt threatened with the Twitter stuff since he was limited to 140 characters it made his threats clearer but he has been making all the same threats since at least 2004 (which is when I got my first email from him) so in my view I don't think there was an escalation or change that indicates that he may now present a physical threat. I've always felt sorry for him as he was obviously a deeply disturbed individual. If his arrest results in him receiving some form of treatment I'll be very pleased.
He once spent more than a month and over 250 messages arguing with an auto-respond script I'd set up for his emails; he seemed to have become less coherent in recent years.
Old 18th August 2011, 03:54 AM   #33
Darat
Lackey

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
He once spent more than a month and over 250 messages arguing with an auto-respond script I'd set up for his emails; he seemed to have become less coherent in recent years.
Any attention pleased him, whether it was a script or not! I managed over the years to get a few of his gmail accounts closed over the years and he would seemingly respond to that with glee since it meant that someone else had seen his message. Very sad.
Old 18th August 2011, 04:50 AM   #34
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Spammer "David Mabus" Arrested

According to the Bad Astronomer's blog, a spammer who has been making death threats to prominent skeptics (including Phil) has been arrested by Montreal police. Here is Phil's link to the story by Tim Farley. http://skeptools.wordpress.com/2011/...l-media-mabus/

Last edited by Jeff Corey; 18th August 2011 at 04:54 AM.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2011, 05:00 AM   #35
Darat
Lackey

We've been discussing it over in R&P in an older thread about him: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=162630 new discussion starts from: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.p...84#post7484384
Old 18th August 2011, 05:12 AM   #36
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

I guess I should have done a search before posting, but I thought that it was more appropriate here than in R&P. Maybe it should be merged.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2011, 08:00 AM   #37
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

The name wasn't familiar to me so when I read spammer in the headline I presumed he'd been sending out cialis/419/paypal-phishing stuff. But all this stuff just to wind up atheists - that's pretty lame.
Old 18th August 2011, 08:54 AM   #38
Ersby
Fortean

I guess I should think myself lucky that he never followed me after I crossed swords with him on this forum a few years ago. But he did keep cropping up in comments of things I read, and I don't even read that many skeptic blogs! I thought he was just some guy with a Depeche Mode fixation. Seems that was just the tip of the iceberg. I hope he gets help.

History of Psi in the Ganzfeld 1974-2010

Last edited by Ersby; 18th August 2011 at 10:01 AM.
Ersby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2011, 09:22 AM   #39
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Some of his most recent work is on display at the world universe famous Australasian Skeptics Forum.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2011, 09:22 AM   #40
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

As detailed in Tim Farley's summary, a small number of apologetic twitter messages were received from one of his accounts - before they all stopped, PZ Myers reports in his blog, he thinks it might have been his mother in a "damage control" exercise.

Last edited by Rrose Selavy; 18th August 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal