JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags breatharians , fasting , Mataji , Prahlad Jani

Old 30th April 2010, 11:34 PM   #41
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Trent Wray View Post
The longest I've gone with no food or water was ....... oh hell, nevermind
I went without food for 11 months (Hospital food doesn't count, right?).

I did have water, though. Some of it was thickened water.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2010, 02:01 PM   #42
George152
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
I went without food for 11 months (Hospital food doesn't count, right?).

I did have water, though. Some of it was thickened water.
You are (as usual) correct
All those patients in hospital in various sorts of coma and some for a matter of years.
Perhaps the faker has an intravenous setup ?
Old 1st May 2010, 06:29 PM   #43
missyvanwinkle
Student

Is he dead yet? Is the testing facility and the protocols credible?
missyvanwinkle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:06 AM   #44
Anthem
Scholar

Finally found something, a power point presentation, that resembles a kind of protocol, an affidavit (can't read it though ), photographs and measurements from the 2003 test of Prahladbhai Jani :
http://pranique.com/praladjani.ppt
Anthem is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:39 AM   #45
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Finally found something, a power point presentation, that resembles a kind of protocol, an affidavit (can't read it though ), photographs and measurements from the 2003 test of Prahladbhai Jani :
Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Death by Powerpoint".
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:42 PM   #46
Kuko 4000
Graduate Poster

Here's a vid:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I'm especially worried about what the doctor says about staring at the sun, basically: "just look at the sun without blinking, and once you get used to it, increase the time you stare at the sun without blinking", as far as I could tell, this was his "theory" of how the guru gets energy to stay alive. Oh my...

Here is the homepage of this doctor:

http://www.sudhirneuro.org/

Pixie of key: "HOW IS YOU NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT I AM GIVING LECTURES ON A PROBLEM."
Kuko 4000 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:47 PM   #47
Kuko 4000
Graduate Poster

If I was not mistaken, the guru says this in the video:

"I will live up to approximately 1000 to 5000, maybe even 10 000 years with this kind of body."

Nice.

Pixie of key: "HOW IS YOU NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT I AM GIVING LECTURES ON A PROBLEM."
Kuko 4000 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2010, 02:31 PM   #48
LandR
Graduate Poster

That doctors websites is a world of woo.
LandR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2010, 04:55 PM   #49
Towlie
ancillary character

1. India's military is naive enough to believe this.
2. India has nuclear weapons.
Towlie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:17 PM   #50
kuroyume0161
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Towlie View Post
Infallible logic sequence.
kuroyume0161 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:32 PM   #51
Modified
Illuminator

4. Profit
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2010, 01:28 AM   #52
Tempest_Rage
Scholar

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
4. Profit
Took the words right out of my mouth, err... keyboard. Off... my keyboard. Gah.
Tempest_Rage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 09:56 AM   #53
St.Michael
Scholar

Yahoo is reporting he's "proven" his claim.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100510...t-451ab4f.html

Why do people still publish this rubbish?
St.Michael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 10:03 AM   #54
Irish Murdoch
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Kuko 4000 View Post
If I was not mistaken, the guru says this in the video:

"I will live up to approximately 1000 to 5000, maybe even 10 000 years with this kind of body."

Nice.
Who on earth would want to live that long without having a pizza?
Old 10th May 2010, 11:43 AM   #55
Infoexcavator
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Irish Murdoch View Post
Who on earth would want to live that long without having a pizza?
His story is that he left his home when he was seven and lived in the jungle, why would he need pizza so much? He probably does not even know what it is so your theory is completely lousy.

Last edited by Infoexcavator; 10th May 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Infoexcavator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 12:01 PM   #56
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Infoexcavator View Post
His story is that he left his home when he was seven and lived in the jungle, why would he need pizza so much? He probably does not even know what it is so your theory is completely lousy.

Not so much levity, please. This is a seerwious discussion.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 12:34 PM   #57
Vortigern99
Philosopher

Either the doctors examining the man, or the journalists writing the article about him, or more likely, all of the above, are being uncritically credulous.

They maintain on the one hand that he could have drunk no water in 15 days, while overlooking the stated fact that he takes frequent baths -- which are, of course, comprised of gallons of water. I wonder if he might take a sip or twelve while soaking in it?

They maintain he is "sealed inside a hospital", as if there is no conceivable way he could have had access to food -- which, of course, is abundant inside a hospital, in order to maintain the health of the many patients and workers who reside there at all hours of the day and night. I wonder if he might have convinced a staffer, through his guru-esque powers of persuasion, to bring him some juice or bread once or twice a day?

They pretend that he is under 24-hour scrutiny from cameras and staff, when of course no hospital has the funds to pay a team of dedicated observers to monitor a single patient at all hours of the day and night. I wonder if there are a few minutes here and there throughout the day, during which he is under no scrutiny at all?

They pretend he has not gone to the toilet in 15 days, again overlooking the stated fact that he takes frequent baths. I wonder if he could have relieved himself while soaking in those gallons of water?

They offer such absurd rationales for their credulity of his status as "solar energy" taken in through the eyes -- when there is no known mechanism by which a human being, or any member of Kingdom Animalia, can synthesize fuel out of sunlight, a known property of plants, through their optical apparatus.

The whole thing is just absurd beyond belief.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 01:03 PM   #58
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

They're reporting similar nonsense via the ABC in Oz.

Originally Posted by Dr Shah
If Jani does not derive energy from food and water, he must be doing that from energy sources around him, sunlight being one.

As medical practitioners we cannot shut our eyes to possibilities, to a source of energy other than calories.

linky

Note to self: Do not get sick in India.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 01:18 PM   #59
icerat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
They maintain on the one hand that he could have drunk no water in 15 days, while overlooking the stated fact that he takes frequent baths -- which are, of course, comprised of gallons of water. I wonder if he might take a sip or twelve while soaking in it?
Not just taking baths -

His only contact with any kind of fluid was during gargling and bathing periodically during the period

There's a few people on my ignore list. If someone's asking me questions and I'm not answering, that's probably why.
icerat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 01:29 PM   #60
Infoexcavator
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
Not just taking baths -

His only contact with any kind of fluid was during gargling and bathing periodically during the period
That water is measured so that they can see if he actually drinks it, he is supposed to spit it back after moistening his mouth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3236118.stm

Last edited by Infoexcavator; 10th May 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Infoexcavator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 01:46 PM   #61
Kuko 4000
Graduate Poster

If you look at the vid I posted a bit earlier you can see how he is bathing...just before the 2 minute mark.

Old 10th May 2010, 01:55 PM   #62
kerikiwi
Philosopher

"As medical practitioners we cannot shut our eyes to possibilities, to a source of energy other than calories"

A medical practitioner who thinks a calorie is a source of energy gives cause for pause...
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 03:12 PM   #63
Towlie
ancillary character

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
A medical practitioner who thinks a calorie is a source of energy gives cause for pause...
Why? The calorie is a unit of energy. 1 calorie = 4.18400 joules. What's your problem?
Towlie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 03:20 PM   #64
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Why? The calorie is a unit of energy. 1 calorie = 4.18400 joules. What's your problem?
A calorie is not a source of energy, it is a measure.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 03:52 PM   #65
Dr H
Muse

This breatharian stuff looks fattening:

"Wiley Brooks is founder of the 'Breatharian Institute of America'. ... Brooks explains that the "Double Quarter-Pounder with Cheese" meal from McDonald's possesses a special "base frequency" and that he thus recommends it as occasional food for beginning breatharians."

And then what? More advanced practitioners survive on nothing but air and Burger King(tm) Triple Stacks?

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry."
-- John Cage
Dr H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 06:43 PM   #66
kestertaylor
Student

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
"As medical practitioners we cannot shut our eyes to possibilities, to a source of energy other than calories"

Next he'll be "theorizing" that this dude's running on diesel fuel.
kestertaylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2010, 01:28 AM   #67
Tempest_Rage
Scholar

http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomen...ugh-your-skin/

So how was he positioned in these baths?
Old 11th May 2010, 01:37 AM   #68
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
For those wanting to know what that stuff all translates into, Linda (FLS) has a newb (on the ropes - he's already not sounding half as wooish as when he started) over in the Science and Math Geeks sub-forum. She takes all the fun out of banter - Ms. Know-It-All-Doctor-Person!

ETA: Link http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=174949

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 11th May 2010 at 01:39 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2010, 01:52 AM   #69
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Infoexcavator View Post
That water is measured so that they can see if he actually drinks it, he is supposed to spit it back after moistening his mouth.
And there is no way it is practically possible to rinse your mouth out and spit every last drop of water back into a cup. If you did, your mouth would no longer be moist - it would be exactly as dry as before you rinsed.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2010, 01:06 PM   #70
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
And there is no way it is practically possible to rinse your mouth out and spit every last drop of water back into a cup. If you did, your mouth would no longer be moist - it would be exactly as dry as before you rinsed.
And for that matter, why the hell does he need to moisten his mouth if he has no need for liquids? What is so special about the mouth? If he can dry out, you would think he would be more concerned about his lung tissue drying out than having a bit of cottonmouth.

I would say a quicker version of the test would involve placing him in a very hot room ( with a sun roof i guess) ( not insanely hot, but lets say 85 degrees or thereabouts. ) and having him do constant exercise. ( lets say walking around the room at a certain pace slow, but constant pace)

This would dehydrate him pretty quickly and consume a decent amount of energy, but if he can do what he says he can, then it should be no issue.

I am honestly amazed that people can be so flat out stupid. And in this case it is just stupidity. It is a complete lack of either the knowledge or ability to do 5 minutes of research into a subject and find out that this guy has been being lobbed softballs this entire time. And would be dead in short order if a real protocol was instated.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2010, 01:13 PM   #71
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr H View Post
This breatharian stuff looks fattening:

"Wiley Brooks is founder of the 'Breatharian Institute of America'. ... Brooks explains that the "Double Quarter-Pounder with Cheese" meal from McDonald's possesses a special "base frequency" and that he thus recommends it as occasional food for beginning breatharians."

And then what? More advanced practitioners survive on nothing but air and Burger King(tm) Triple Stacks?
As someone who lost over 180 pounds during my high school days, i can shed some light on this.

You would be surprized how little food you need to mantain a slightly below average body wieght ( at the time it was about 120-130 i rock about 140-150 now.). Even with one macdonalds meal every 2 days ( and i might even say 3, but that would be being very generous ) i could see someone surviving, with nothing but stomach issues ( slight to moderate) , and below average weight. And that is not even mentioning things like milk, soda, juice, or other sources of calories people don't really think of.

Losing a lot of weight gives you a lot of insight into the way hunger functions. And all it is, really is getting used to the feeling of hunger. Most people may complain if they do not eat, lets say every 6 hours. But that is only because they are used to eating at quicker intervals. Not because their body is legitimately being harmed in any major way by the lack of eating.

And this is one of the biggest problems with bretharianisim. They get people to do perfectly normal things, and then say " see , look its a superpower". I have yet to see a laymen breatharian claim anything that would impress me, let alone get me to think they have any type of superpower. If they have superpowers, i guess i am doctor friggen manhattan.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2010, 01:19 PM   #72
Kuko 4000
Graduate Poster

More details:

http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/...nt-monitoring/

http://deshgujarat.com/2010/05/06/15...rchers-amazed/

Old 11th May 2010, 01:28 PM   #73
Anthem
Scholar

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
For those wanting to know what that stuff all translates into, Linda (FLS) has a newb (on the ropes - he's already not sounding half as wooish as when he started) over in the Science and Math Geeks sub-forum. She takes all the fun out of banter - Ms. Know-It-All-Doctor-Person!

ETA: Link http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=174949
Ah, thank you Foolmewunz, a good informative read!
Anthem is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2010, 01:34 PM   #74
Hannibal
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by missyvanwinkle View Post
Is he dead yet? Is the testing facility and the protocols credible?
No and no

"The plural of anecdote is not evidence" - Czarcasm
Hannibal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2010, 02:22 PM   #75
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
No and no
both of those answers have a direct ( versus inverse) relationship. If one is true the other will inevitably be true.
Old 11th May 2010, 03:29 PM   #76
Hannibal
Critical Thinker

exactly what i am saying - No he isn't dead, a no the protocols and facility are not credible

"The plural of anecdote is not evidence" - Czarcasm
Hannibal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2010, 06:16 PM   #77
Dr H
Muse

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
And this is one of the biggest problems with bretharianisim.

And here I thought the only problem with breatharianism was that it's nuts.

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry."
-- John Cage
Dr H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2010, 09:49 AM   #78
jayman
Thinker

James Randi Speaks: Powered by Sunlight

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
jayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2010, 10:23 PM   #79
Miss_Kitt
Zombie Horse of Homeopathy

I saw this story online and did an immediate facepalm! Oy...some people are very gullible. Baths and allowed to gargle, but they're sure he's not drinking? And he has been in a sealed clear chamber, wearing only robes that were created and inspected specifically for the test, under multi-camera video surveillance for how many days?

Really, it's scary to think that there are people with the authority to shoot (or give orders to shoot) that are this gullible. And I thought Men Who Stare At Goats was bad!

Magic thinking is a lead personal floatation device. It looks really reassuring, but it will drag you down--whatthebutlersaw
Miss_Kitt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2010, 04:30 AM   #80
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
And for that matter, why the hell does he need to moisten his mouth if he has no need for liquids? What is so special about the mouth? If he can dry out, you would think he would be more concerned about his lung tissue drying out than having a bit of cottonmouth.

I would say a quicker version of the test would involve placing him in a very hot room ( with a sun roof i guess) ( not insanely hot, but lets say 85 degrees or thereabouts. ) and having him do constant exercise. ( lets say walking around the room at a certain pace slow, but constant pace)

This would dehydrate him pretty quickly and consume a decent amount of energy, but if he can do what he says he can, then it should be no issue.

I am honestly amazed that people can be so flat out stupid. And in this case it is just stupidity. It is a complete lack of either the knowledge or ability to do 5 minutes of research into a subject and find out that this guy has been being lobbed softballs this entire time. And would be dead in short order if a real protocol was instated.
Except, sadhatter, we must test the actual claims made by these woosters, not make up claims to put in their mouths. If he doesn't claim to be able to spend a significant amount of time exercising strenuously in a very hot room, then it is not helpful to attempt to make him do it. This is one of the most fundamental aspects of the one million dollar challenge. Randi is very careful to test only what people claim they can do.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal