JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 27th July 2010, 04:00 AM   #1
kevinquinnyo
Graduate Poster

Greenpeace "shuts down" BP stations in London

Greenpeace shuts down childishly vandalizes a few BP gas station/convenience stores in London: http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/index.html

They are calling for a "tough new law against dirty gas."

Speaking of laws...
kevinquinnyo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 04:06 AM   #2
kevinquinnyo
Graduate Poster

http://twitpic.com/photos/greenpeaceuk

Photo chronicle of the vandalism.

Aren't those the emergency shut off valves they are removing? That's not cool.

For some reason, part of me says they only did this to one or two, and the rest is just a big PR stunt. Either way, Greenpeace is a joke.
kevinquinnyo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 04:14 AM   #3
Aepervius
Philosopher

I am about to tout old law on vandalism here...
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Bell
beautiful freak

Because those franchisers are totally responsible for the oil leak. Oh, wait...

INY
You gotta love cops.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 05:33 AM   #5
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Yeah, let's cause a big explosion at a petrol station. That will show them not to let another explosion... um... hang on.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Arisia
Muse

I have noticed that the local BP stations are very quiet these days, sad for the local station that switched from Gulf to BP about six months ago (I think, I know it's been less than a year). A bit of misplaced punishment, but at least it's average consumers speaking with their wallets, rather than 'activists' with vandalism.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 06:59 AM   #7
richardm
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Yeah, let's cause a big explosion at a petrol station. That will show them not to let another explosion... um... hang on.
They turned the pump isolation switches off then disconnected them so that they couldn't be switched back on. It's not very nice, but it's not likely to cause an explosion; it's not as though they were unfastening pipes or anything.
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 08:22 AM   #8
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by kevinquinnyo View Post
Greenpeace shuts down childishly vandalizes a few BP gas station/convenience stores in London: http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/index.html

They are calling for a "tough new law against dirty gas."

Speaking of laws...
Greenpeace = childish and I am very pro:environment.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 08:24 AM   #9
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by richardm View Post
They turned the pump isolation switches off then disconnected them so that they couldn't be switched back on. It's not very nice, but it's not likely to cause an explosion; it's not as though they were unfastening pipes or anything.
Frankly, it would not bother me at all if there was an explosion while they were playing in their little sandbox.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 09:01 AM   #10
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
I have noticed that the local BP stations are very quiet these days, sad for the local station that switched from Gulf to BP about six months ago (I think, I know it's been less than a year). A bit of misplaced punishment, but at least it's average consumers speaking with their wallets, rather than 'activists' with vandalism.
The thing to do would be to patronize the mini-mart, but just not purchase gasoline. We're always told that the owners of gas stations don't make any money on gas anyway, and only on what they sell in the stores. If that's true (I've yet to see any real evidence of it), then just don't buy the gas, but spend money in the mini-mart.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:17 AM   #11
Mister Earl
Illuminator

I've got no love for Greenpeace (and peta), but I'm not seeing vandalism here. Shutting off the pumps aside, all they are doing is putting up signs. From what everyone made it sounds like, I had the impression they were going into the marts and trashing everything. Signs are a minor thing.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 09:34 AM   #12
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Psi Baba View Post
The thing to do would be to patronize the mini-mart, but just not purchase gasoline. We're always told that the owners of gas stations don't make any money on gas anyway, and only on what they sell in the stores. If that's true (I've yet to see any real evidence of it), then just don't buy the gas, but spend money in the mini-mart.
The thing is it doesn't really matter if you buy the gas there, if you don't they can just sell it, gas is a fungible commodity after all. Hell they might well not be getting the same gas out of a pipeline that the put into it. They might put 1000 barrels in at one end and get 1000 barrels out at the other, but it might well not be the same 1000 barrels.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 11:14 AM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

More idiocy from Greenpeace.
What gets to me is how stupid this is as a way of getting your message across. They are a lot like PETA in that regard.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 12:24 PM   #14
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Mister Earl View Post
I've got no love for Greenpeace (and peta), but I'm not seeing vandalism here. Shutting off the pumps aside, all they are doing is putting up signs. From what everyone made it sounds like, I had the impression they were going into the marts and trashing everything. Signs are a minor thing.
Yeah, BP must be a dodgy operation if hanging a fake closed sign in front of one is all it takes to put one "out of service".
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 12:29 PM   #15
AvalonXQ

So, now Greanpeace is organizing criminal acts? How disgusting!
Here's hoping BP sues the organization for every dime they have, shutting them down for good.
AvalonXQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 12:32 PM   #16
Bell
beautiful freak

Originally Posted by AvalonXQ View Post
So, now Greanpeace is organizing criminal acts? How disgusting!
Here's hoping BP sues the organization for every dime they have, shutting them down for good.
BP doesn't have a good track record of getting things shut down.

INY
You gotta love cops.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 12:56 PM   #17
uk_dave
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bell View Post
So sharp!
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 01:56 PM   #18
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
... S... [rule10] them.

THEY don't hve to explain to customers why the station can't pump!
Old 27th July 2010, 02:03 PM   #19
George152
Master Poster

They should have let the US government handle the leak.

Saturday Quarterbacks always know more than the experts
Old 27th July 2010, 02:14 PM   #20
groupthinker
Scholar

crazy commie liberals at it again... surprise surprise
groupthinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 02:37 PM   #21
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by George152 View Post
They should have let the US government handle the leak.

Saturday Quarterbacks always know more than the experts
Uh, that's Monday morning quarterbacks, because the NFL plays (usually) on Sundays. Saturday is when college football teams play (usually).

/free lesson to foreigners
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 02:38 PM   #22
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Uh, that's Monday morning quarterbacks, because the NFL plays (usually) on Sundays. Saturday is when college football teams play (usually).

/free lesson to foreigners
Well, it's a sticker wicket.
Old 27th July 2010, 02:51 PM   #23
AvalonXQ

I prefer the term "armchair quarterbacks" myself, since it applies to folks even while a disaster is ongoing.
AvalonXQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2010, 03:10 AM   #24
Soapy Sam
NLH

What next? Hit the emergency stop switch on a London Underground escalator during rush hour?
The underground uses all sorts of BP products.

The people Greenpeace need to get their message across to are not the energy producers, but the consumers. Us.

Had all the oil and gas from the Macondo well been successfully produced and pumped ashore, how many people would have boycotted it then? How many of those criticising BP now would have happily burned it taking their kids to school? On balance, did BP actually do the world a favour by diumping it in the ocean?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2010, 04:18 AM   #25
Harpo
Graduate Poster

.....but I'm not seeing vandalism here. Shutting off the pumps aside, all they are doing is putting up signs....blah
So the photographs of activists using screwdrivers to remove the emergency shut off valve levers isn't proof of them commiting multiple acts of vandalism?

Putting up signs isn't all they're doing!!
Old 28th July 2010, 08:46 AM   #26
Xephyr
Muse

I wonder if these Greenpeace hooligans activists walked to the BP station... or did they drive there ?

Were they wearing hand-woven hemp cloth clothing and footwear... or were they wearing mass-produced jeans, t-shirt, and running shoes with rubber soles ?

Prior to commiting their crime protest, did they bathe in their backyard rain-water collection tub... or did they shower in their personal bathroom's locally pumped in water supply ?

Speaking of showering... Did they shampoo their hair with a hand-made bar of soap... or did they use mass-produced shampoo in a plastic bottle ?

After they finished vandalizing getting their point across, did they walk to their local pub and celebrate with an organically produced hand-carved wooden cup of carrot juice... or did they have a mass-produced dark lager poured into a factory made drinking glass ?

Did they then peddle their bikes over to the local Greenpeace headquarters to announce the news of their damage victory to their local brethren... or did they jump onto their plastic computers and send off a mass e-mail ?

Just wondering...
Old 28th July 2010, 09:31 AM   #27
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Where is the owner of the station? I'd be out there removing the ladder. "Ooops, I didn't realize you were up there!"

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2010, 09:55 AM   #28
Xephyr
Muse

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Where is the owner of the station? I'd be out there removing the ladder. "Ooops, I didn't realize you were up there!"
Well let's hope they at least used a hand-made hemp rope ladder, and not one of those factory manufactured metal ones that you can pick up at your local hardware store...
Old 28th July 2010, 10:01 AM   #29
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Xephyr View Post
Prior to commiting their crime protest, did they bathe in their backyard rain-water collection tub... or did they shower in their personal bathroom's locally pumped in water supply ?

Speaking of showering... Did they shampoo their hair with a hand-made bar of soap... or did they use mass-produced shampoo in a plastic bottle ?
Uh, these were Greenpeace activists... odds of any sort of bathing are remote.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2010, 10:07 AM   #30
Cain
Straussian

In college a friend of mine had a squeegee in his car.
Cain: Hey, you got a squeegee.
Rich: Yeah, I stole it.
(off-Cain's reaction)
Rich: Yep. From Shell. They kill people in Nigeria so I said ****'em!

This guy would also steal books from Borders. He and this other friend (who worked for and then was fired from Z-Magazine) knew that one of the detectors was busted, so they'd just stack up copies of Chomsky, Parenti, Zinn, Churchill (the cool one), and then run out.

He rationalized it as follows: Who am I hurting? An evil corporation. It's not going to raise prices on customers or harm employees by putting the place out of business. ****'em.

(This guy rarely curses, so ****'em always had a special bite. His father was a pastor, disappointed his son became an atheist. As far as I know he's getting a Ph.D in philosophy from Syracuse. He was hard-core into post-modernism when we last communicated, claiming that sex organs are the only difference between boys and girls.)

God, in retrospect this should have its own thread. I'll never forget his reaction to 9/11.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2010, 10:11 AM   #31
Cain
Straussian

I don't want to come off as anti-vandalism though. Private property destruction can be cool; it has a place. In the above case, my friend profited from his activity, which is a big no-no.

I support this **** more when it comes to animal rights violations, which I suppose is related to the BP oil spill. It serves as a kind of cruelty tax. ****'em.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2010, 10:15 AM   #32
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

I wonder if these Greenpeace hooligans activists walked to the BP station... or did they drive there ?
It's london so I doubt they drove.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2010, 10:19 AM   #33
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
So the photographs of activists using screwdrivers to remove the emergency shut off valve levers isn't proof of them commiting multiple acts of vandalism?

Putting up signs isn't all they're doing!!
I'm not familiar enough with the shutoff system. I see them using a screwdriver, but are they actually removing it, or disabling it via a mechanism intended for that purpose? I.E., if all they are doing is throwing a switch, so to speak, then it's still wrong, but not vandalism. If they're damaging it so it can't be used, it is vandalism. If they're removing a part and taking it away, then it's theft.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2010, 10:31 AM   #34
Bell
beautiful freak

I'm not familiar enough with the shutoff system. I see them using a screwdriver, but are they actually removing it, or disabling it via a mechanism intended for that purpose? I.E., if all they are doing is throwing a switch, so to speak, then it's still wrong, but not vandalism. If they're damaging it so it can't be used, it is vandalism. If they're removing a part and taking it away, then it's theft.
http://twitpic.com/292x0b

INY
You gotta love cops.
Old 29th July 2010, 03:57 AM   #35
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

That criticism would only be valid if they actually did bathe. My (downwind) experience says otherwise.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2010, 12:17 AM   #36
Soapy Sam
NLH

My instinct and experience tells me that any unauthorised person screwing with safety switches on fuel lines in a city is not doing something altruistic.
A very swift boot up the arse seems to be in order
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2010, 04:11 AM   #37
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I don't want to come off as anti-vandalism though.
God forbid.

Quote:
Private property destruction can be cool
So can doing crack, bustin' caps, and pimping ho's. What's "cool" is frequently not what's right.

Quote:
it has a place. In the above case, my friend profited from his activity, which is a big no-no.
That's the primary reason your friend does it. But beyond his self-serving rationalizations, why would it be a good thing if he just went out and burned all those books he stole? Is he really so hopelessly stupid as to think that hurting a corporation magically does good? Are you so hopelessly stupid?

And have you considered getting a better class of friends?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2010, 07:03 AM   #38
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
Real cool. I mean it's not like the employees have to deal with that.

[/sarcasm]
Old 30th July 2010, 12:23 PM   #39
Cicero
Banned

They did shut down Tony Hayward.

Did shut down those who thought POTUS Obama was Superman.

Did shut down the leak, finally.
Cicero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2010, 12:26 PM   #40
Cicero
Banned

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I support this **** more when it comes to animal rights violations, which I suppose is related to the BP oil spill.
Do you think your avatar cat feels violated?
Cicero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events