JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags anti-Islam incidents , anti-Islam rhetoric , Florida incidents , Koran burning , terry jones

Old 14th August 2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Thunder
Banned

Florida Church to burn the Koran in memory of 9-11

http://www.haaretz.com/news/internat...koran-1.307575

"The Dove World Outreach Center is planning to burn the Islamic holy text on church grounds in remembrance of the victims of 9/11. Organizers are using its website and social-networking sites like Facebook to promote the event."

oh...the Christian love is just smothering me. I need air!!

Last edited by Thunder; 14th August 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2010, 09:05 PM   #2
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
http://www.haaretz.com/news/internat...koran-1.307575

"The Dove World Outreach Center is planning to burn the Islamic holy text on church grounds in remembrance of the victims of 9/11. Organizers are using its website and social-networking sites like Facebook to promote the event."

oh...the Christian love is just smothering me. I need air!!
Any way we can get the Dove World Outreach Center to quit reaching out to the world?

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2010, 09:11 PM   #3
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

the term "Church" seems to be loosely applied here, apparently they recently lost part of their tax exempt status for running a for-profit furniture store on church grounds

other than that, they seem to be half a step up from westboro baptist
Old 14th August 2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Thunder
Banned

oh wait, I forgot.

-the 19 hijackers were Muslim.

-the Koran is the Muslim holy book.

-therefore, ifso facto, the Koran inspired the 19 hijackers, and should be considered a terrorist training manual.

-so, the Koran should be burned on 9-11. i get it now.

Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Furcifer
miscreant

If we've learned anything since 911 it's that we should be intolerant of religions that aren't our own. That'll bring us peace
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2010, 10:37 PM   #6
Cactus
Scholar

I see what the others were on about... you do have a 'pick and choose' mentality between which groups are unfairly picked on and which groups you indicate you should pick on.

I'm not saying you defending Islam is a bad thing, before you say it.

In any case, this is clearly another one of the Westboro type churches which really do need to be ignored, yes they insult and protest (which is as far as they ever go) and really they thrive off of any type of publicity. Getting angry at them is exactly what they want.
Cactus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2010, 10:37 PM   #7
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by 3bodyproblem View Post
If we've learned anything since 911 it's that we should be intolerant of religions that aren't our own. That'll bring us peace
Sure, once we kill them all.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2010, 10:39 PM   #8
Skeptic
Banned

Ah well. Freedom of speech makes it easier to spot the idiots.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2010, 11:09 PM   #9
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Strikes me as silly, and I think David Mitchell would agree.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2010, 11:37 PM   #10
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cactus View Post

I'm not saying you defending Islam is a bad thing, before you say it.
Who is 'defending Islam' and how?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2010, 11:41 PM   #11
Cactus
Scholar

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
Who is 'defending Islam' and how?
Thunder has pretty much always been on the side of defending Islam on any thread he is in which relates to it, usually by attacking whatever attack is made against it's ideals or principles.

Feel free to prove me wrong, it's not like I see this as a bad thing.
Cactus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 12:17 AM   #12
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Just out of curiosity Thunder, do you subscribe to a "latest anti-Islam shock horror action, no matter how obscure" Internet service?

Whatever, I'm absolutely outraged by this action of a stupid, insignificant church.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 02:42 AM   #13
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Whatever, I'm absolutely outraged by this action of a stupid, insignificant church.
They are nearly as stupid as those responsible for more than 15,000 deadly attacks by islamic jihadists since 9/11.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 02:58 AM   #14
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Sword_Of_Truth View Post
They are nearly as stupid as those responsible for more than 15,000 deadly attacks by islamic jihadists since 9/11.
Agreed. I should have put a sarcasm smilie in.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 03:51 AM   #15
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sword_Of_Truth View Post
Just out of curiosity: what are the criteria for defining an attack as being by islamic jihadists?
And how are the data collected?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 04:07 AM   #16
Cobalt
Tobikan Judan

Ignorant people perform ignorant act. More at 11. In other news,

Still dead.
Old 15th August 2010, 04:15 AM   #17
XBoxWarrior
Banned

He even has a Top Ten Reasons on why to burn the Koran....

Originally Posted by Dr. Terry Jones
Four

The earliest writings that are known to exist about the Prophet Mohammad were recorded 120 years after his death. All of the Islamic writings (the Koran and the Hadith, the biographies, the traditions and histories) are confused, contradictory and inconsistent. Maybe Mohammad never existed. We have no conclusive account about what he said or did. Yet Moslems follow the destructive teachings of Islam without question.
Now I wonder if he ever considered it this way...

Four

The earliest writings that are known to exist about the Prophet Mohammad Jesus were recorded 120 years after his death. All of the Islamic Christian writings (the Koran and the Hadith, the biographies, the traditions and histories) (the Bible) are confused, contradictory and inconsistent. Maybe Mohammad Jesus never existed. We have no conclusive account about what he said or did. Yet Moslems Christians follow the destructive teachings of Islam Christianity without question.

Hmmnnnn...I doubt it.

Top Ten Reasons to Burn a Koran
XBoxWarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 04:55 AM   #18
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by XBoxWarrior View Post
The earliest writings that are known to exist about the Prophet Mohammad Jesus were recorded 120 years after his death.[/url]
Well actually no, the earliest fragment of the Gospel is part of the Gospel of John which dates at c. 125 AD (117-136 AD), so only around 90 years after his death. Since it is a copy not the original but likely 2-3 copies from the original, then we can quite comfortably say that the accounts of Jesus were written well before 120 years after his death. Traditonally, John, which is likely the last of the Gospels written, is dated about 90 AD, so within 60 years of Jesus' death, half the time you propose.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 06:02 AM   #19
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Just out of curiosity Thunder, do you subscribe to a "latest anti-Islam shock horror action, no matter how obscure" Internet service?
I guess so. Its called Ha'aretz news. Its Israel's main progressive-leaning newspaper.
Old 15th August 2010, 06:04 AM   #20
Thunder
Banned

Thunder has pretty much always been on the side of defending Islam on any thread he is in which relates to it, usually by attacking whatever attack is made against it's ideals or principles.

Feel free to prove me wrong, it's not like I see this as a bad thing.

haaaaa!!!

check out my posts in the "France bans the burqa" thread.
Old 15th August 2010, 06:06 AM   #21
Thunder
Banned

I see what the others were on about... you do have a 'pick and choose' mentality between which groups are unfairly picked on and which groups you indicate you should pick on.
what EXACTLY are you insinuating?

I give Islam a free pass but am hard core on all other faiths?

you obviously do not know anything about my posts or threads.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=180356

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=172541

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=181971

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=179699

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=166114

Last edited by Thunder; 15th August 2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 15th August 2010, 06:35 AM   #22
Schrodinger's Cat

I lived in Gainesville, Florida, and I'm fairly certain I know who this group is. There was this hateful Baptist group in town that were like a slightly less incindiary version of Fred Phelps' "Westboro Baptist Church." They were always outside other religious buildings - the Catholic Church, Jewish Temple, Hare Krishna House, etc, with signs screaming about how these various religions were going to hell. They also were on campus all the time (I went to University of Florida) screaming about how evil and hellbound various groups were: disobedient women, Buddhists, Jews, Catholics, Muslims, scientists Harry Potter, people who have premarital sex or use birth control, etc etc.

I don't know how big this group actually is. It was always the same handful of people at these demonstrations, and there was one preacher in particular who was in one of our main plazas on campus virtually every day.

What amazed me is that he actually convinced people sometimes! He'd be up there screaming condemnations, and then he'd hell out, "Now who has heard my message and wants to be saved!" And a lot of times a person or two would actually come forward.

However, the majority of people just ignored or heckled them.

Last edited by Schrodinger's Cat; 15th August 2010 at 06:40 AM.
Schrodinger's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 07:57 AM   #23
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

The same church was behind the kids getting kicked out of school for wearing "Islam is the Devil" t-shirts last year.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 08:46 AM   #24
bynmdsue
Graduate Poster

so they have the right to burn the koran,but it's the wrong thing to do? hmmm...
bynmdsue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 08:57 AM   #25
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by bynmdsue View Post
so they have the right to burn the koran,but it's the wrong thing to do? hmmm...
Is that somehow confusing to you?
Old 15th August 2010, 09:03 AM   #26
Thunder
Banned

yes, of course they have the right to burn the Koran. its just pieces of paper.

but, as it is also a religious book, revered by a billion people, it would be highly disrespectful to do so.

that is why it is LEGAL to burn the Koran, but IMMORAL to do so.

many things that are IMMORAL..are perfectly LEGAL.

...and yet, some folks still cannot grasp this concept. they consider it to be "double-speak".
Old 15th August 2010, 09:09 AM   #27
The Charnel Expanse
Muse

Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Cat View Post
I lived in Gainesville, Florida, and I'm fairly certain I know who this group is. There was this hateful Baptist group in town that were like a slightly less incindiary version of Fred Phelps' "Westboro Baptist Church." They were always outside other religious buildings - the Catholic Church, Jewish Temple, Hare Krishna House, etc, with signs screaming about how these various religions were going to hell. They also were on campus all the time (I went to University of Florida) screaming about how evil and hellbound various groups were: disobedient women, Buddhists, Jews, Catholics, Muslims, scientists Harry Potter, people who have premarital sex or use birth control, etc etc.

I don't know how big this group actually is. It was always the same handful of people at these demonstrations, and there was one preacher in particular who was in one of our main plazas on campus virtually every day.

What amazed me is that he actually convinced people sometimes! He'd be up there screaming condemnations, and then he'd hell out, "Now who has heard my message and wants to be saved!" And a lot of times a person or two would actually come forward.

I bet this kid's a member
The Charnel Expanse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 09:20 AM   #28
bikerdruid
hermit hippy weirdo

Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
yes, of course they have the right to burn the Koran. its just pieces of paper.

but, as it is also a religious book, revered by a billion people, it would be highly disrespectful to do so.

that is why it is LEGAL to burn the Koran, but IMMORAL to do so.

many things that are IMMORAL..are perfectly LEGAL.

...and yet, some folks still cannot grasp this concept. they consider it to be "double-speak".
zealots of many stripes have been book burners in the past.
Old 15th August 2010, 09:44 AM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, it's called freedom of speech.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 09:45 AM   #30
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Is that somehow confusing to you?
Ouch, beat me to it.

But, yeah, sounds like a bunch of Westboro Baptist Church wannabes.

Heine's quot4 about those who burn books will eventually burn people comes to mind.

Last edited by dudalb; 15th August 2010 at 09:47 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 09:46 AM   #31
Thunder
Banned

folks have the right to cheat on their spouse or gf/bf. that doesn't make it moral.

folks have the right to step on worms, ants, and spiders. that doesn't make it moral.

folks have the right to teach their children that blacks and Jews and Chinese are evil and dirty. that doesn't make it moral.

in this country, at least, we have the right to do things that are highly immoral. in the interest of democracy and liberty, I believe this is a good thing.
Old 15th August 2010, 11:51 AM   #32
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Yeah, it's called freedom of speech.
I believe it was also a reference to the ground zero mosque thread(s), where a similar argument has frequently appeared.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:06 PM   #33
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by XBoxWarrior View Post
Website actually does not seem to exist.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 01:50 PM   #34
jhunter1163
Beer-swilling semiliterate

I lost a close friend in the North Tower on 9/11, but I cannot advocate burning the Koran under any circumstances. The extremists are not the real face of Islam, just as the idiots advocating burning the Koran are not the real face of Christianity.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 02:19 PM   #35
ravdin
Illuminator

One of the many reasons I dislike radical Islamists is that they throw temper tantrums like spoiled three year olds, and of course they have to burn things (American flags, Danish flags, Israeli flags, etc.) in retaliation when their hyperdelicate sensibilities have been offended.

These nuts in Florida are trying to convince us that they're better than that... by burning the Koran. I wouldn't stop them if I could, but at the same time I doubt very much that they have a similar regard for the principle of free speech. Book burners generally don't.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 02:48 PM   #36
DC
dedicated aphilatelist

well thats some outreach there

The Dove World Outrage Center ?
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 05:54 PM   #37
Architect
Chief Punkah Wallah

Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Cat View Post

Aha, we had one of them in this country once...

James Keir Hardie (1856 - 1915): Politician, Founder of Scottish Labour Party
Architect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 09:00 PM   #38
cornsail
Illuminator

There was a church near my town that would come to the college with signs like "Mohammed is DEAD AND IN HELL". This was their way of trying to promote Christianity I guess.
cornsail is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 09:44 PM   #39
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by cornsail View Post
There was a church near my town that would come to the college with signs like "Mohammed is DEAD AND IN HELL". This was their way of trying to promote Christianity I guess.
ironically muslims believe jesus is alive and in heaven. go figure
Old 16th August 2010, 12:44 AM   #40
XBoxWarrior
Banned

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Website actually does not seem to exist.
sure it does....it probably got overwhelmed with traffic this morn.

Top Ten Reasons to burn the Koran...according to Dr. Terry

http://www.doveworld.org/blog/ten-re...o-burn-a-koran

or my link was broke
XBoxWarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events