JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 24th September 2010, 03:41 PM   #1
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

"bottled water is evil"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se12y9hSOM0

I am skeptical of the idea that 50 billion bottles are consumed a year. How many are reused and how frequently?

As well as that, what's the citation for the claim that billions of bottles are produced each year?
Old 24th September 2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se12y9hSOM0

I am skeptical of the idea that 50 billion bottles are consumed a year. How many are reused and how frequently?

As well as that, what's the citation for the claim that billions of bottles are produced each year?
According to:
http://www.icbwa.org/2000-2003_Zenit...ting_Stats.pdf

153,083,000,000 litres of bottled water were sold in 2003.

Looks like the 50 billion bottle figure is too low.

Old 24th September 2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Vortigern99
Philosopher

It's the pricing that I find absurd -- absurd that greedy bottling companies charge it, and that evidently easily-duped consumers pay it.

I worked for PepsiCo in 1999 -- as the Executive Assistant to the General Manager of the Austin branch -- and I spoke with managers who observed the irony that the same water used to make Pepsi and other beverages was sold, unflavored, for higher prices than flavored beverages with added ingredients that cost more to produce.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2010, 10:37 PM   #4
BottledWater
Student

Excuse me?
BottledWater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2010, 10:38 PM   #5
learner
Graduate Poster

I drink a bottle of water every day while driving to and from work. I have only ever bought one bottle in my life. I refill it from the Tap in my kitchen with water I have already paid for.
It's not that I am a tight git, I just don't like paying for things twice.
Old 24th September 2010, 10:40 PM   #6
learner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BottledWater View Post
Excuse me?
You've got a lot to answer for.
Old 24th September 2010, 10:46 PM   #7
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism

Originally Posted by BottledWater View Post
Excuse me?
People consistently choose tap water over you.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:24 PM   #8
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

If you are against bottled water you should be against all bottled beverages.

Sometimes it's worth it to the consumer and sometimes I prefer an ice-cold water to any other beverage. I would not buy bottled water to take home and put in my fridge though. My tap water is quite nice.
Old 25th September 2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I have often tried to imagine the board meeting at which someone made the first presentation on "manufacturing" and selling bottled water.

I hear the gales of laughter from the assembled members.
Old 25th September 2010, 07:41 AM   #10
Mirrorglass
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
If you are against bottled water you should be against all bottled beverages.

Sometimes it's worth it to the consumer and sometimes I prefer an ice-cold water to any other beverage. I would not buy bottled water to take home and put in my fridge though. My tap water is quite nice.
I don't know about your house, but mine doesn't have a beer tap.
Old 25th September 2010, 08:25 AM   #11
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I have often tried to imagine the board meeting at which someone made the first presentation on "manufacturing" and selling bottled water.

I hear the gales of laughter from the assembled members.
'Exacly. Who would ever believe that you could convince people to pay for something that comes for free out of a tap, several of which are routinely installed in every house built? This when most of the world's population can't safely drink the water that comes out of their taps. Oh help my sides are splitting.

The most expensive? Bling is $40 for 750ml, but I think there was a Fijian mountain water that sold for more at one time.

Last edited by 23_Tauri; 25th September 2010 at 08:27 AM.
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2010, 08:31 AM   #12
Skwinty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 23_Tauri View Post
The most expensive? Bling is $40 for 750ml, but I think there was a Fijian mountain water that sold for more at one time.

From your link: Proving the old adage that it's really easy to get rich people to fork over cash for stupid reasons

What is reality? Nothing but a collective hunch.
--Lily Tomlin
Skwinty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2010, 08:43 AM   #13
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

This is a rather West-Centric thread. Quite a number of us drink bottled water out of necessity. Seveal whole continents of us, in fact.

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2010, 09:28 AM   #14
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
This is a rather West-Centric thread. Quite a number of us drink bottled water out of necessity. Seveal whole continents of us, in fact.
Which was why I emphasised the point that this (i.e. credulous people buying water in bottles at the supermarket, water that is in many cases more contaminated that the free stuff that comes out of the tap) happens in nations where it is safe to drink tap water and in much of the world that isn't the case. Clearly, if your tap water is not safe to drink it is a different matter.

Last edited by 23_Tauri; 25th September 2010 at 09:30 AM.
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2010, 05:00 PM   #15
Delscottio
Muse

The only time I have bought bottled water is when my job used to take me around the UK. The change in taste from place to place was quite surprising, and stomach upsetting!
Delscottio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2010, 05:31 PM   #16
Modified
Illuminator

Could be fear of the unknown. Many of my former neighbors drank well water that was contaminated by a fuel pipeline leak, for years. Bottled water is unlikely to be contaminated in the long term.

Still, I see no reason to buy the little bottles when the gallon jugs of distilled or filtered water are so much cheaper.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2010, 08:28 PM   #17
Foolmewunz

Originally Posted by 23_Tauri View Post
Which was why I emphasised the point that this (i.e. credulous people buying water in bottles at the supermarket, water that is in many cases more contaminated that the free stuff that comes out of the tap) happens in nations where it is safe to drink tap water and in much of the world that isn't the case. Clearly, if your tap water is not safe to drink it is a different matter.

Contaminated bottled water has become a concern over here, also. The big boys (Bonaqua/Coke and Watson's - a sort of Boots style pharmacy and superstore chain) are running competing ads on the purity.

In HK it's so much that the tap water is dangerous, but that it tastes like crap. It has a horrible metallic taste to it. I believe we're also in an area with dangerously high levels of fluoride in the water table. Mostly, though it's the taste.

The high cost isn't the water - it's the advertising and the logistics, obviously.

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2010, 08:46 PM   #18
FreshHat
Why, You Little...

Originally Posted by Mirrorglass View Post
Nor mine, but my local pub has several.
Old 25th September 2010, 09:19 PM   #19
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

In HK it's so much that the tap water is dangerous, but that it tastes like crap. It has a horrible metallic taste to it.
Here in Arizona it's the same problem on the opposite side of the spectrum. Tap water has this horrible alkalai taste.

"...untrustworthy obnoxious twerp." - CFLarsen
Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2010, 09:25 PM   #20
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mirrorglass View Post
One day people will care enough to see that even the poorest people have the basic necessities. I am sad for our species.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2010, 01:18 AM   #21
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Piscivore View Post
Here in Arizona it's the same problem on the opposite side of the spectrum. Tap water has this horrible alkalai taste.
Does the taste improve if you put it through a filter jug? If that works, then wouldn't that be cheaper and more convenient than buying water at the supermarket?

The taste of tap water varies a lot depending where you are in the UK, but I personally have never found it undrinkable. London tap water's pretty iffy taste-wise, but filtering, or boiling it and adding a tea bag, does wonders.
Old 26th September 2010, 01:48 AM   #22
23_Tauri
Illuminator

In HK it's so much that the tap water is dangerous, but that it tastes like crap. It has a horrible metallic taste to it. I believe we're also in an area with dangerously high levels of fluoride in the water table. Mostly, though it's the taste.
One of the safest in the world, according to this site. I'm not sure what level of fluoride the WHO would consider safe in drinking water, and what criteria are used in setting that level. Of course, a simple filter jug would not remove fluoride, you'd need a reverse osmosis system fitted under your sink to do that.

Personally, I would avoid too much fluoride, in drinking water or elsewhere, and I'm against compulsory fluoridation of water supplies, which has been introduced in some areas of the UK.

The high cost isn't the water - it's the advertising and the logistics, obviously.
I guess if people want to pay for that, then they can go right ahead.
Old 26th September 2010, 01:52 AM   #23
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by learner View Post
I drink a bottle of water every day while driving to and from work. I have only ever bought one bottle in my life. I refill it from the Tap in my kitchen with water I have already paid for.
Which sounds great until you realise that your average plastic waterbottle is only meant to be used once and as a result reusing it tends to result in an interesting mix of bacteria and materials that have leached from the plastic. For reuse stainless steel is probably your best bet.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2010, 02:01 AM   #24
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Originally Posted by geni View Post
Which sounds great until you realise that your average plastic waterbottle is only meant to be used once and as a result reusing it tends to result in an interesting mix of bacteria and materials that have leached from the plastic. For reuse stainless steel is probably your best bet.
I've been re-filling a plastic water bottle from the tap and taking it into hot yoga (a steamy, sweaty, stranger-filled haven for bacterial growth) for years. I do this until the bottle falls apart and I'm not dead yet. I can't help thinking that in the modern age some elements of Western society have become too adverse to a few microbes, when it's exposure to them that builds strong immunity. However, I agree a stainless steel job is a good choice, for longevity if nothing else. I just haven't got round to buying one yet.

Last edited by 23_Tauri; 26th September 2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 26th September 2010, 04:32 AM   #25
GlennB
Cereal pedant

Interesting point. When we moved to Greece we bought bottled water for a short while, until we realised the piped water in the village was excellent.
But when I bought that first 6 pack of 1.5L bottles I assumed the price I saw was for a single bottle, and that even then it was quite cheap compared to the UK.
I'd say that, in the UK at least, there's an insanely high premium on bottled water that more reflects public neurosis and snobbery than any commercial cost.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2010, 07:57 AM   #26
Foolmewunz

As long as we're on the topic of cost.....

Who pays how much where you are for a liter of locally bottled (not chi-chi stuff like Perrier or Pellegrino) water. I can get two litres for 10 HK$, roughly USD 1.25 or 0.63 a litre. That's at a 7/11 or Circle K convenience store. In bulk it's about half that price.

ETA: Liter / litre. My years of switching back and forth from USA to members(former members in case of HK) of the Commonwealth is showing.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 26th September 2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 26th September 2010, 08:32 AM   #27
23_Tauri
Illuminator

As long as we're on the topic of cost.....

Who pays how much where you are for a liter of locally bottled (not chi-chi stuff like Perrier or Pellegrino) water. I can get two litres for 10 HK$, roughly USD 1.25 or 0.63 a litre. That's at a 7/11 or Circle K convenience store. In bulk it's about half that price.

ETA: Liter / litre. My years of switching back and forth from USA to members(former members in case of HK) of the Commonwealth is showing.
Hi Foolmewunz. It works at cheapest at the big store (Tesco) if bought in 1.5 or 2 ltr bottles:

Tesco own brand English Spring Still Water 39p (£0.39) for 2 ltrs
Volvic 58p for 1.5 ltrs
Evian 77p for 2 ltrs
Brecon Carreg 53p for 2 ltrs

Current exchange rate on xe.com: £1.00 GBP = 12.2706 HKD

But as everyone pays water rates we've all already paid for it out of the tap, and the water where I live on the south coast tastes better than fine. But I still see people buying it by the crateload in my local store. Must be such a palavar getting it home and storing it too.

Last edited by 23_Tauri; 26th September 2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 26th September 2010, 09:03 AM   #28
Almo
Masterblazer

Originally Posted by roger View Post
One day people will care enough to see that even the poorest people have the basic necessities. I am sad for our species.
Too many rich people are afraid of free loaders getting something they don't deserve for this to happen. Which really makes me angry.

ETA: By "rich" I mean relatively affluent. Say, US citizens making $50,000 a year would qualify.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2010, 09:16 AM   #29
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by GrouchoMarxist View Post
People consistently choose tap water over you.
And they should.

"Scientists have a poor understanding of science." - Justintime
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2010, 09:20 AM   #30
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by learner View Post
But that's not what the topic of consuming bottled water is really about. You could as well have bought an empty re-usable bottle and filled it with tap water always. What you describe doesn't differ meaningfully from that.

Selling bottled water to most Americans has always struck me as the proverbial "selling ice to an Eskimo". I know there are some rare exceptions where the municipal water supply isn't good, but that doesn't account for MOST bottled water sales.

I'm amazed that fully half the litter I see around here is comprised of empty water bottles when St. Louis has one of the best municipal water systems, and most of us have un-metered water (so using more water costs us exactly nothing, and even bottled water users still need water service for bathing, washing dishes, etc.)

The only argument I hear is "convenience". But it's only convenient (and barely so) if you ignore most of the equation. It's certainly not convenient to ship water around in trucks burning fossil fuels rather than using existing pipelines. It's not convenient to dispose of the bottles (even by recycling them) compared to not. And it's not convenient for me to have to pick up the litter all the time.

Last edited by JoeTheJuggler; 26th September 2010 at 09:22 AM.
JoeTheJuggler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2010, 11:26 AM   #31
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

I don't drink as much water as I should. Even so, my water comes from a well and has a very strange taste and smell to it. I am guilty of buying bottles of water a few times a year. I should buy a filter for my sink.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2010, 01:12 PM   #32
GlennB
Cereal pedant

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
But that's not what the topic of consuming bottled water is really about. ....

Selling bottled water to most Americans has always struck me as the proverbial "selling ice to an Eskimo". I know there are some rare exceptions where the municipal water supply isn't good, but that doesn't account for MOST bottled water sales.
The o/p isn't about America. MOST applies to the entire world, and in many places the piped supply might well be dodgy.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2010, 01:53 PM   #33
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Our university just went plastic-bottle-free. (as well as smoke-free; leading to the sight of dozens of individuals standing on the sidewalk several times a day...)
Not only is bottled water not superior to most tap water in any way (at least in Western countries), the resources to produce and ship the bottles are considerable. I understand most are produced in China and shipped abroad by cargo vessel.... Not ideal from the carbon-footprint standpoint.
Some years back, when bottled "designer" waters were just starting to be big sellers, our local tabloid newspaper did a taste-test with a random group of individuals.
The winner? St. Louis county water, straight from the tap.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2010, 02:15 PM   #34
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
The o/p isn't about America. MOST applies to the entire world, and in many places the piped supply might well be dodgy.
True. That's why I specified America.

At any rate, I'm sure the U.S. consumes more bottled water than any other nation. I used some bottled water when I lived in Ecuador, but there, you refilled glass bottles most of the time (and that's all I ever did). I also had a pressure cooker, and I boiled 2 gallons every day to use for iced tea and drinking water.
Old 26th September 2010, 02:25 PM   #35
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Our university just went plastic-bottle-free. (as well as smoke-free; leading to the sight of dozens of individuals standing on the sidewalk several times a day...)
Not only is bottled water not superior to most tap water in any way (at least in Western countries), the resources to produce and ship the bottles are considerable. I understand most are produced in China and shipped abroad by cargo vessel.... Not ideal from the carbon-footprint standpoint.
Some years back, when bottled "designer" waters were just starting to be big sellers, our local tabloid newspaper did a taste-test with a random group of individuals.
The winner? St. Louis county water, straight from the tap.
Amen! And ditto, St. Louis City water.

I think we were rated the best in the U.S. not so long ago. Ah--here it is: http://www.stlwater.com/bestwater.php

Even using test data (measuring pollutants and what not) rather than taste, St. Louis City ranks in the top 10: http://www.stlwater.com/bestwater.php

There is no reason anyone here should pay for bottled water!
Old 26th September 2010, 02:55 PM   #36
Le Jab
Scholar

I am guilty of buying bottled. There is evidence to suggest tap water contains high levels of oestrogen contamination due to recycled urine entering the water supply, that has worked is way through numerous female users of the contraceptive pill. However, I am now told that bottled water has this too.

Last edited by Le Jab; 26th September 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Le Jab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2010, 04:13 PM   #37
Foolmewunz

Originally Posted by Le Jab View Post
I am guilty of buying bottled. There is evidence to suggest tap water contains high levels of oestrogen contamination due to recycled urine entering the water supply, that has worked is way through numerous female users of the contraceptive pill. However, I am now told that bottled water has this too.
Good to know. I thought I was getting sentimental in my old age, as I've taken to watching old Lifestyle Channel Movies (classics like Bobby Beat Me But Now I'm Getting Better) and sniffling through them. Now I know it's all those wimmen peeing that's causing it.

Note: Estrogen does NOT have to come from women's urine. It's a man-made component that is in the plastic. The original studies on estrogen in water were concerned with it leeching out of plastic bottles. There are studies, however, that show that trace amounts of every-day pharmaceuticals are showing up in the water supply in miniscule amounts.

Old 26th September 2010, 04:16 PM   #38
AgeGap
Master Poster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasani#United_Kingdom
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2010, 05:01 PM   #39
Foolmewunz

Originally Posted by AgeGap View Post
"Source - Sidcup local water supply"....

Reminds me of my favorite "scam". The WTC towers were built with their famous central service core, but water was piped only to the restrooms. Individual offices had no water taps. Everyone was required to buy from the "approved" water supplier, Polar Bear. And the plastic cap on the five gallon jugs read, "Source - New York City Water Supply". Thirty feet away you could go run the tap in the Ladies Room and get the same stuff for free, but we were buying five gallon jugs of "Ooooh, bottled water. It's better for your health...." of the same stuff! Every tenant in the building did it!

Old 27th September 2010, 12:38 AM   #40
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Le Jab View Post
Exactly. Unless it's from deep underground springs whether tap or bottle it's all coming from somewhere in the same system anyway. As Foolmewunz points out, there are numerous chemicals in bottled water, phthalates being one that gets particularly bad press.

Last edited by 23_Tauri; 27th September 2010 at 12:41 AM.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance