JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags nostradamus

Old 3rd October 2010, 03:33 AM   #121
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Rwalsh View Post
I never said William would be-
Where's the Picard facepalm when you need it?

You said:
The young heir to the British realm, Whom his dying father will have recommended: The latter dead 'Lonole' will dispute with him, And from the son the realm demanded.
Taking this piece by piece it's either a contradiction or you're simply wrong.

Italic part: Charles is the current heir, after him, it's WILLIAM. Not Harry. Harry cannot take the throne unless William dies childless or abdicates.

Bold part: The British public want William to be king, not Harry.

So when I pointed out that they wanted Willaim, and you said that's the prediction, you were either stating William was going to be king, or you were saying the above means Harry will be chosen over William, which isn't how Monarchy works unless someone abdicates.

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:35 AM   #122
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Would be the heir to the throne after the death of the existing heir Charles.
Except he WILL BE because he's older.

Are you that clueless as to how Monarchies work?

MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:36 AM   #123
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post

You said:

Taking this piece by piece it's either a contradiction or you're simply wrong.

Italic part: Charles is the current heir, after him, it's WILLIAM. Not Harry. Harry cannot take the throne unless William dies childless or abdicates.

Bold part: The British public want William to be king, not Harry.

So when I pointed out that they wanted Willaim, and you said that's the prediction, you were either stating William was going to be king, or you were saying the above means Harry will be chosen over William, which isn't how Monarchy works unless someone abdicates.
But one of them is not from same father.

I state that one of them is not from same Father.
And That the younger will be the new Heir after his father.
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:39 AM   #124
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Except that they likely are both from the same father, and if one of them is not, it's probably Harry.

The fact that William has a remarkable resemblance to Charles and Phillip doesn't clue you in at all?

Old 3rd October 2010, 03:43 AM   #125
Rwalsh
Banned

Except that they likely are both from the same father, and if one of them is not, it's probably Harry.

The fact that William has a remarkable resemblance to Charles and Phillip doesn't clue you in at all?
How is it skeptic that made Nostradamus re-known in the first place if his predictions hadn't come true? If even Randi lived in the 1500's during Nostradamus time. Nostradamus would have made Randi a believer rather than a skeptic-

How else would he have come to be? If not sane- and correct!
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:45 AM   #126
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Your wish is my command.

Jadey (in RvB game thread): I just want to take a moment to commend Arth on his role as Parasitic Alien Tumor. I think he really connected with the character and there were times when I forgot that he was just acting. That's the kind of talent that you can't teach.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:47 AM   #127
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

How is it skeptic that made Nostradamus re-known in the first place if his predictions hadn't come true? If even Randi lived in the 1500's during Nostradamus time. Nostradamus would have made Randi a believer rather than a skeptic-

How else would he have come to be? If not sane- and correct!

Because lots of people believe any old rubbish they read or hear?

Why is it that the ludicrous myth of geocentrism is still around if it weren't true?

ETA: Thank you Arth!

Last edited by MarkCorrigan; 3rd October 2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:50 AM   #128
Rwalsh
Banned

Because lot's of people believe any old rubbish they read or hear?

Why is it that the ludicrous myth of geocentrism is still around if it weren't true?
I cannot explain the inner mechanisms of the universe. But I beleive in the Holy Prophecy. Just like people, who commonly beleive in God, and religions..
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:52 AM   #129
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

You believe it, despite the fact that loads of people have predicted whatever the hell they like in his totally ambiguous and nonsensical ramblings for hundreds of years despite the fact that if he did think he had a gift it would likely be something he assumed would be relevant to his own personal time period and slightly beyond it just like most prophets?

Ok then, waste your life if you want to.

Old 3rd October 2010, 04:05 AM   #130
Maja
Thinker

Century I Quatrain 86
When the great queen sees herself conquered,
she will show an excess of masculine courage.
Naked, on horseback, she will pass over the river
pursued by the sword: she will have outraged her faith
But... lady Godiva was not a queen, was not conquered, and was not pursued by enemies. If Nostradamus really had her in mind when he wrote this quatrain, then it shows that he was even unable to get past events right!
Maja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 04:28 AM   #131
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Maja View Post
But... lady Godiva was not a queen, was not conquered, and was not pursued by enemies. If Nostradamus really had her in mind when he wrote this quatrain, then it shows that he was even unable to get past events right!
Maybe he (Nostradamus) had such foresight that he could access Wikipedia?
That would explain why he got so much wrong.
Old 3rd October 2010, 04:30 AM   #132
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Refrain from attacking Nostradamus as if the man was BS. Some Respect for my spiritual Father would be appreciated.
Give up this woo woo nonsense and do something constructive. Noatradamus was a good doctor for his day. He was way ahead of his time. Honor him for that instead of those absurd quantrains he wrote. They are subject to interpretation. He gives no dates; he gives no names. He just got into a trance and wrote his silly crap down.
Old 3rd October 2010, 04:43 AM   #133
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Refrain from attacking Nostradamus as if the man was BS. Some Respect for my spiritual Father would be appreciated.
Everybody's welcome to these forums "where it's April's Fool Day all year long".
"Ego sum cucurbita magna" -Guyus Qualunque
aleCcowaN is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 05:13 AM   #134
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Originally Posted by Rwalsh
The writings are bestowed upon the one Nostradamus chooses... to decipher on this millennial occasion. Under no circumstances is this to be taken lightly. It must be read several times, meticulously calculated, and a correct infused bond of internal companionship is formed. It is Clouded only for "A" certain mind to read..
Can you give some examples of the meticulous calculations that you have performed as part of this deciphering or were you just exaggerating your importance?
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 06:26 AM   #135
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

How is it skeptic that made Nostradamus re-known in the first place if his predictions hadn't come true?
For the same reason Sylvia Browne has become famous even though her predictions don't come true.

All it takes is lots of vague predictions and plenty of gullible fools.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 06:39 AM   #136
Jensen
Scholar

Nostradamus predict the death of Princess Diana, The Queen, And for the Heir!
I predict the death of everyone.
Jensen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 06:42 AM   #137
desertgal
Illuminator

So...William is illegitimate, and Harry is plotting to take over the throne.

Even the Daily Mail couldn't come up with that much fiction in one sentence.
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:35 AM   #138
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Give up this woo woo nonsense and do something constructive. Noatradamus was a good doctor for his day. He was way ahead of his time. Honor him for that instead of those absurd quantrains he wrote. They are subject to interpretation. He gives no dates; he gives no names. He just got into a trance and wrote his silly crap down.
Well he did give one date:

Quote:
Century 10, Number 72:
"In the year 1999, in the seventh month,
from the sky there comes a great king of terror,
to bring back the great king of the Mongols,
Mars rules triumphantly, before and after"

And I, for one, laid out a plate of cookies for the Great King . . . ended up eating them myself.

I guess the Nostradamoids have done a great deal of back peddling to show that he did not really mean our July 1999 but in this they should learn from the Jehovah Witnesses and stop predicting after getting the date wrong after the sixth try.

Old 3rd October 2010, 09:15 AM   #139
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I respect charlatans for nothing except their ability to seperate many of the wealthy from their wealth and to help us recognize the intellectually inept among us. But, thanks for playing and you'll be taking home a copy of the latest edition of our game show: "Woo Are You, Anyway?"

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:24 AM   #140
Vortigern99
Suspended

This. Rwalsh, would you care to address this two-sentence demolition of your credulous and unsupportable belief system?
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:46 AM   #141
Ladewig
Hipster alien

But try only focusing on this for years, and you will soon figure out why. Im telling you that if you think about it for too long you will have dreams about it. And these dreams are lucid and real, Just like the shocking cold truth in all of this. These are like cosmic waves-

His Spiritual Writing is like no other- this is Nostradamus himself speaking. These are my text and my words, yet you can hear the voice can you not? Becuase these texts are defined by character, characteristics.
A claim: If one studies Nostradamus for years, then one will have very vivid dreams about Nostradamus.

I am willing to concede that the truth value of that statement is definitely 100%.

Another claim: the dreams that come from studying Nostadamus for years have predictive value.

Here, I will need substantial evidence. It is currently October 2010. Rwalsh, feel free to post your upcoming predictions in this thread or in a new JREF thread. We are looking for specific predictions of unforeseen events that you cannot control. If you post them and they come true, you will have our attention (and that is what you came here for, isn't it?).
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.

Last edited by Ladewig; 3rd October 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:48 AM   #142
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Indeed Maja. In fact, the quatrain would better fit this feisty lass:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica

Although even she didn't ride naked on horseback anywhere. Or at least if she did the Roman scholars didn't put that in their record of the events. The fact is RWalsh, this quatrain fits no-one and maybe lots of people, because Nostradamus' prophecies are meaningless, woolly generalisations.

As an apothecary, no doubt Nostradamus had easy access to some pretty far-out preparations. Maybe he took some of these before writing his quatrains?
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:57 AM   #143
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Can we have this thread renamed "Lady Godiva totally copied Nostradamus", please?
Actually when I read the header, I thought the thread was going to be about Nosti predicting the Peter and Gordon hit song from the '60's. I suppose it still could be given how some have interpreted his writings.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:15 AM   #144
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
I just love the fact that everyone who has speculated about 'issues' of parentage (and you know you're out there) has apparently got it A about T and it's the balding, toothy one who isn't Chuck's but the ginger one who is.
That's interesting - I don't look at TV . Is Prince William balding already?

I read a book by Giles Brandreth not long ago called Philip and Elizabeth which details dates of where Prince Charles and Diana were at the time both boys were conceived and takes away adulterous possibilities! I didn't bother to check it all, but it sounded true.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:15 AM   #145
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post

Even the Daily Mail couldn't come up with that much fiction in one sentence.
Whoa whoa, don't be too quick to make a statement like that.

Old 3rd October 2010, 11:22 AM   #146
Titanic Explorer
Graduate Poster

Nostrils Thomas predicted the time I lost my car keys
Titanic Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:25 AM   #147
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

Even thou this Event happend 500 years before Nostradamus. This cannot be said to even be a Prediction at all. He is merly convaying a type of historical tribulation. In the Quatrain he writes.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2..._6304959_n.jpg
painting by John Collier painting in 1898

Nostradamus Writes..

Century I Quatrain 86

For Indepth information to Lady Godiva, read from wikipidia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Godiva
That's not what he said, he said:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus
Century 1 Quatrain 86:
La grande roine quand se verra vaincue,
Fera exces de masculin courage;
Sus cheval, fleuve passera toute nue,
Suite par fer: a fois fera outrage.
And it's about Mary Queen of Scots not being able to get a suite at the local inn with Bothwell and fleeing Scotland while being chased by an angry mob. Prove me wrong.
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:26 AM   #148
Uncayimmy
Banned

Trust me... We are only getting started with Nostradamus works and my deciphering. Perhaps one of the reasons why Nostradamus wrote it, for the simple reason of Free Courage. I shall post Anew! Everyday.. or try to.. I have a few already deciphered. But not all will be deciphered. But I try my best. Most of the decipherings I post links to wiki-facts... infact. And alot of the deciphering are alot of the events that either happened, before nostradamus time, after nostradamus time, to our future's future.. But predicted after nostradamus time from 1500s and later. So some information may be contained in the year 1600, 1700,1800,1900,2000. and perhaps to the year 3797 as stated in the Preface.. And then of course, Before the year 1500s as well..
Would you mind explaining why you decipher? Do you have specific goals in mind or is it like how some people do crossword puzzles for fun? Can you also explain why you're sharing your deciphers publicly?
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:27 AM   #149
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

What makes me "Want" To beleive?

Its something Ive always been involved in. On my own before Nostradamus I spoke of things in the world, predictions I seen which would occur.

These writings Nostradamus gives way, are also lessons to be learned. Book of knowledge.
Thank you for answering, but all that sounds somewhat superficial. Are you also keen to know the opposing arguments? How will you feel when, having read the views of JREFers here, you have to realise that the chances of Nostradamus's words being genuine are very small indeed? Do you think he would be doing the same thing were he alive today?
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:30 AM   #150
bookitty
Philosopher

And again I ask, why would Nostradamus care about the modern British Royal family? You have never answered this question.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:42 AM   #151
Rwalsh
Banned

its rhetorical to cloud the meaning
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:49 AM   #152
Apology

According to Google translate, only the horse was naked, which is entirely in keeping with how we expect a horse to behave...

Originally Posted by Google Translate
When the great Queen will be defeated,
Will excess of masculine courage;
Sus horse pass over the river naked
Pursued by the sword: a time will be outrage.
But maybe Time was outraged by the horse's lascivious behavior; I suppose he will stop work at Teatime and it will be Teatime all the time until we soothe his outraged sensibilities

And now, a partial Nostradamus quatrain that has mystified all the ages:

Century II, quatrain 112
Pourquoi un corbeau ressemble
à un bureau?
jamais plus, jamais plus...
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:49 AM   #153
bookitty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
That's not what he said, he said:

And it's about Mary Queen of Scots not being able to get a suite at the local inn with Bothwell and fleeing Scotland while being chased by an angry mob. Prove me wrong.
Actually, that does make more sense, especially if "toute nue" refers to losing her crown and not her clothing.

Although given Rwalsh's penchant for predictions of little import, I may start lining up a few quatrains for Brittany Spears and her ilk.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:55 AM   #154
Two Toed Sloth
Scholar

its rhetorical to cloud the meaning
rhetorical =/= incorrect

ETA Also why hide meaning, why not make some amazingly accurate prediction that would be near irrefutable?

Last edited by Two Toed Sloth; 3rd October 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Two Toed Sloth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:58 AM   #155
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
He dose mention Names and particular Locality, as stated in the preface...
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:59 AM   #156
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Two Toed Sloth View Post
rhetorical =/= incorrect

ETA Also why hide meaning, why not make some amazingly accurate prediction that would be near irrefutable?
We shall get to that, but for now lets start at the beginning...
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:05 PM   #157
Apology

Originally Posted by bookitty View Post
Actually, that does make more sense, especially if "toute nue" refers to losing her crown and not her clothing.

Although given Rwalsh's penchant for predictions of little import, I may start lining up a few quatrains for Brittany Spears and her ilk.
I think I have one!

Century II, Quatrain 44
L'aigle pousee entour de pavillions,
par autre oiseaux d'entour sera chassee:
Quand bruit des cymbees, tubes, & sonaillons,
Rendront le sens de la dame insensee.
Originally Posted by Google Translation
The push-eagle surrounded by pavilions,
surrounded by other birds to be hunted:
When noise cymbees, tubes & sonaillons,
Make sense of the senseless lady
So clearly the paparazzi (push-eagles) are going to surround Brittany at the Pavilions grocery store (pavilions, how right is that?!?), until Christina Aguilera (other birds to be hunted) shows up and starts singing and playing the cymbals (NOISE, [how right is that?!?] cymbees, tubes, & sonaillons), and therefore Brittany comes out of her catatonia.

I hope this prediction and translation helps you avoid tragedy in your future life. It's the least I can do, being as I'm the only person in the world who ever read Nostradamus obsessively enough to make out his real meanings.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:08 PM   #158
bookitty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
I think I have one!

So clearly the paparazzi (push-eagles) are going to surround Brittany at the Pavilions grocery store (pavilions, how right is that?!?), until Christina Aguilera (other birds to be hunted) shows up and starts singing and playing the cymbals (NOISE, [how right is that?!?] cymbees, tubes, & sonaillons), and therefore Brittany comes out of her catatonia.

I hope this prediction and translation helps you avoid tragedy in your future life. It's the least I can do, being as I'm the only person in the world who ever read Nostradamus obsessively enough to make out his real meanings.
It is as if a light has broken through the clouds! Illuminating what was once shadowed! Surely your proof is irrefutable. Nostradamus was, without a doubt, the first tabloid writer in history.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:12 PM   #159
Lucian
Master Poster

To expand a bit on Maja's excellent points:

Quote:
Godgifu was not a queen, great or otherwise; she was the wife of earl Leofric. The Norman Conquest of Anglo-Saxon England did occur in her lifetime, but she herself was not conquered. Indeed, she remained a major landholder after the Conquest, an extraordinary achievement for an Anglo-Saxon female.

Quote:
Meaningless.

Quote:
No contemporary evidence for the naked ride. Even in the legend, did she pass over a river?

Quote:
Nope, not pursued by a sword or anything else--even in the legend, and far from having "outraged her faith," she and Leofric were extremely generous benefactors to the Church.

Was the legend of Lady Godiva known in France? Could Nostradamus have gotten the naked ride from the legend to add to his vague drivel?
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:15 PM   #160
Craig4
Philosopher

How about, if he can really see the future why not write something like "A princess named Diana will get in an accident in a car being driven by a guy blitzed out of his skull while being chased by reporters and die." If he's so great why the word games?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal