JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags nostradamus

Old 3rd October 2010, 11:30 PM   #241
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Rwalsh View Post
From May 1243 to March 1244, the Cathar fortress of Montségur was besieged by the troops of the seneschal of Carcassonne and the archbishop of Narbonne
So, since this event occured 300+ years before Nosti (14 December or 21 December 1503 – 2 July 1566) was writing, this event is important because....?

Or are you now arguing that Nosti postdicted, and not predicted? Considering how expert you have claimed yourself to be on all things Nosti, you certainly are falsifying your own claim without anybody else here helping.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:31 PM   #242
Rwalsh
Banned

This involved the Cathars in the Quatrain.

There was obvious long reign of Cathars and Catholic beleifs that would carryout these wars and conquests in these regions. The Cathers would be the center of persecution

Fontfroide- Was against the Cathers

Not all of Nostradamus work deals with the future..

Last edited by Rwalsh; 3rd October 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:44 PM   #243
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Thank you. You are now saying that he postdicted on two of the three threads you have started. And on the third one you have simply "made up stuff" to fit part of an illiterate and otherwise incomprehensable quatrain

Of the nearly 1,000 quatrains, since you claim to be the Nosti expert, tell us how many were predictions and how many were postdictions? Or better still, since he comes to you in your dreams, ask him, and convey the answer to the rest of the world. We are waiting with baited breath.

Do you actually have a point - you are not exactly leading from strength.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 3rd October 2010 at 11:45 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 12:23 AM   #244
bookitty
Philosopher

Its A pivotal mark in the world, the scenario changes- Everything Changes. The New Direction of the Monarch, will there ever be asserted a Queen any longer? Doubtful... IT will be entirely be ruled by Male Faction. It will never return for Queen-ship. Even for the queens ruling, She has less than more power. Its like they come to take away her the swords of power.In both hands she use to hold two swords, now they come to take both of them. Take it from her.
Say what?

The death of Diana did not make a dramatic change in the world. It just made modern headlines. It was significantly less significant then King Edward VIII abdicating his throne.

Nobody is getting ruled by the British royal family. They are figureheads, they have no swords - male, female, it doesn't matter. They can not change policy, they can not start wars, they can not lop off people's heads.

Before you waste your time with the next bit of Nostra-nonsense, you should really wrap up this first one.
Old 4th October 2010, 12:27 AM   #245
bookitty
Philosopher

Yes, And Ive read other peoples work. They will take somethin, without any fact or illustration. Be completly wrong, and speak as if it had something to do with Russia or Iraq or something.

Which To my knowledge in that quatrain you it has names of places like France. So how could this be??? When nostradamus writes names of places in france in some of his quatrains yet people are talking about nuclear bombs in IRAQ.

Yes Normal Dude.. It is pointless to read something without any conclusive facts. PERTAINING to the Quatrains.

The most Important Part of the Book is to read the PREFACE to Cesar Nostradamus. And the Epistle to Henry the II. To me these are the most fundamental, and Essential things you need to Know before Deciphering any of the quatrains. Its something you have to re-read atleast... well. You need to re-read all of it alot.

There ARE RULES and Doctrain you need to know about before Deciphering. You cant just pick any quatrain and decipher it. You got to know which ones are more descriptive. Particularly the names and Descriptions, Not to know times and Dates.

You cant take a Quatrain, and go Blah Blah Blah 9/11., You need Evidence and FACTS.

You also need to know EVERYTHING in the Facts and Evidence to know what it means.

And to say the least...Im sure everyone here has had a Da-javu moment in there lifetime they can remember? Isnt this a form of seeing into the future without knowing it until that moment. Sure these are strange and Odd, but there is a variety of peoples on this earth, not everyone is equal. And Nostradamus had the exception of foresight. I beleive it becuase I expirence some of it myself.
May I suggest that you read this thread
Old 4th October 2010, 12:40 AM   #246
Rwalsh
Banned

Pope Innoicent III launched crusade against The Cathars of France.

Montségur Fortress is 80 km (50 mi) southwest of Carcassonne Where The Stronghold of Cathars are.. where catholic church laid seige..

Last edited by Rwalsh; 4th October 2010 at 12:51 AM.
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 12:44 AM   #247
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Im only posting one per day..
Oh dear god please, no!
kerikiwi is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 12:53 AM   #248
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Thank you. You are now saying that he postdicted on two of the three threads you have started. And on the third one you have simply "made up stuff" to fit part of an illiterate and otherwise incomprehensable quatrain

Of the nearly 1,000 quatrains, since you claim to be the Nosti expert, tell us how many were predictions and how many were postdictions? Or better still, since he comes to you in your dreams, ask him, and convey the answer to the rest of the world. We are waiting with baited breath.

Do you actually have a point - you are not exactly leading from strength.

Norm
Easy there. You cant expect me to just Blurt out the answers so quickly. It takes Alot of research..
Old 4th October 2010, 12:55 AM   #249
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Pope Innoicent III launched crusade against The Cathars of France.

Montségur Fortress is 80 km (50 mi) southwest of Carcassonne Where The Stronghold of Cathars are.. where catholic church laid seige..
You are going backwards fast. Now we are 400 years earlier than Nosti,s writings. Next thing we know, you will be saying that he predicted the birth of Jesus. At one new quatrain per day, that will only take tyou another twelve OPs.

Is there a point anywhere in your random ramblings?

Norm
Old 4th October 2010, 12:56 AM   #250
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by bookitty View Post
May I suggest that you read this thread
I'm pretty sure that Rwalsh's problem (assuming he's not just winding us up) is an extreme case of confirmation bias rather than anything more serious.

I think he'd be better off reading this: http://www.skepdic.com/confirmbias.html

ETA: And, of course, this: http://www.skepdic.com/nostrada.html

Last edited by Pixel42; 4th October 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 12:56 AM   #251
Mojo
Mostly harmless

They couldnt, Becuase the messages are too clouded for even them!!!

In other words, because Nostradamus is so vague that he can never be used to predict anything.

The same vagueness means that his writings can often be more or less fitted to events after they have happened, but in this case you haven't even managed that because the text you have used states that Diana's mother would have had a "long barrenness" (she didn't), that she would conceive two children (she had 5), that she would be in danger (she wasn't), and that Diana would have three sons and one daughter, by four different fathers (she didn't).

As a prediction that would appear to be a total failure.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 01:02 AM   #252
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Nostradamus wrote some of his gibberish quatrains about events that had already happened. This is worthy of our interest why?
Old 4th October 2010, 01:06 AM   #253
Aitch

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Nostradamus wrote some of his gibberish quatrains about events that had already happened. This is worthy of our interest why?
A book I have (by some guy name of Randi, you may have heard of him?) puts forward the argument that all the quatrains are about recent (to Nostradamus) history. A fairly well supported argument from what I recall (the book is out on loan at the moment).
Aitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 01:10 AM   #254
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Easy there. You cant expect me to just Blurt out the answers so quickly. It takes Alot of research..
So, given that you said this on another thread,

Quote:
I guarantee if you love him like I do then you will develop a bond with him. He may even come and startle you in a dream or two., Once you upload the vital information in your brain cells, you will get a dream with the Nostradamus himself. This is some spiritual understanding I give.
I know it sounds wack and crazy. But try only focusing on this for years, and you will soon figure out why. Im telling you that if you think about it for too long you will have dreams about it. And these dreams are lucid and real, Just like the shocking cold truth in all of this. These are like cosmic waves-
(emphasis on bolded mine)

1. You could easily ask him in your next dream you have with him.

2. I assume that you have focussed for years on this, so you should have the answer by now.

I suggest if it takes you years to understans each quatrain, you do that honey, and come back when you understand them all. Say, 3,000 years from now. You cannot even post intelligent responses on the ones you claim to understand. Or are you now suggesting that this is a recent fad, and you have not spent "years" on Nosti, as you are requesting others to do? Put your research where your mouth is and understand at least something before you post again.

I shudder to think of the mangle you will make of the other 900+ quatrains if you continue at your present level of ignorance.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 4th October 2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 4th October 2010, 01:10 AM   #255
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Rwalsh's problem (assuming he's not just winding us up) is an extreme case of confirmation bias rather than anything more serious.

I think he'd be better off reading this: http://www.skepdic.com/confirmbias.html

ETA: And, of course, this: http://www.skepdic.com/nostrada.html
I never read the letters of nostradamus here.. this one takes my heart what he wwrites here

And I tell you that though I see you only by letter and do not cultivate your acquaintance, yet when I shut my eyes I recall your physical appearance, your singular honesty, goodness, faith, probity, learning and erudition.
Old 4th October 2010, 01:16 AM   #256
Rwalsh
Banned

thanks pixel42 for links

Last edited by Rwalsh; 4th October 2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 4th October 2010, 01:20 AM   #257
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

And I tell you that though I see you only by letter and do not cultivate your acquaintance, yet when I shut my eyes I recall your physical appearance, your singular honesty, goodness, faith, probity, learning and erudition.
Aw, shucks.

Please read the article on confirmation bias. If you're honest, you'll see it's an exact description of how you are managing to fool yourself into seeing sense where there is only nonsense.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 01:20 AM   #258
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

I often wonder, if infact the Cannons of Orange.. later being destroyed. Advertantly the sacred Items being stored for safe keeping no other than Nostradamus and the church. I still feel that everything written to anyone and on the speech. Is written of course.. All of it in code.err cloud i should say
Amazing. The words are English, and yet it makes no sense at all. All you need to do is translate it into a mixture of Old French and Latin, and arrange it into groups of four lines. Then you'll have your own quatrains with which to bore baffle the scholars of the future.
Old 4th October 2010, 01:24 AM   #259
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by sledge View Post
is there a reason all this nostradamus crap couldn't go in one thread?
ftfy
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 01:24 AM   #260
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I often wonder, if infact the Cannons of Orange.. later being destroyed. Advertantly the sacred Items being stored for safe keeping no other than Nostradamus and the church. I still feel that everything written to anyone and on the speech. Is written of course.. All of it in code.err cloud i should say

Is your first language Martian?

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 01:38 AM   #261
Aitch

Nostradamus wrote this?
Aitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 01:52 AM   #262
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
So, given that you said this on another thread,

(emphasis on bolded mine)

1. You could easily ask him in your next dream you have with him.

2. I assume that you have focussed for years on this, so you should have the answer by now.

I suggest if it takes you years to understans each quatrain, you do that honey, and come back when you understand them all. Say, 3,000 years from now. You cannot even post intelligent responses on the ones you claim to understand. Or are you now suggesting that this is a recent fad, and you have not spent "years" on Nosti, as you are requesting others to do? Put your research where your mouth is and understand at least something before you post again.

I shudder to think of the mangle you will make of the other 900+ quatrains if you continue at your present level of ignorance.

Norm
Take it easy Norm, I sense you are getting angry with me becuase I am not concenting to what you are wishing at this moment. IF you be patient, I will present to you my deciphers. And no... Not all of them are deciphered like this one. I wanted to add the first one that I had troubles with. Tomorrows prediction will be written sometime passed nostradamus time. But still it will be in our history.. But remarkable for a man who can see hundred years ahead... patients. and understand friend. dont be angry.
Old 4th October 2010, 01:54 AM   #263
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

RWalsh: Please note that posting a new Nostradamus thread every day would definitely be considered Flooding, and therefore be against Rule 6 of the Membership Agreement. I would suggest you limit yourself to a single thread. Once discussion dies out on that thread, you can start another if you wish.
Old 4th October 2010, 01:57 AM   #264
Rwalsh
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
RWalsh: Please note that posting a new Nostradamus thread every day would definitely be considered Flooding, and therefore be against Rule 6 of the Membership Agreement. I would suggest you limit yourself to a single thread. Once discussion dies out on that thread, you can start another if you wish.
Actually. Im considering not posting here anymore. Becuase Everyone is vulgar tongued.
Old 4th October 2010, 02:00 AM   #265
Rwalsh
Banned

I shall not post anylonger.
Old 4th October 2010, 02:01 AM   #266
dafydd
Banned

In the Corbières (near Narbonne), on the 12th calends of June 1093, Vicount Aymeric II of Narbonne authorised a community of monks to live in a protected, isolated site in the foothills {accroché au Massif des Corbières} of the Pyrénées (near to today's Spanish border). Called Fontfroide, it lay at the confluence of two cold, bolder-strewn, rushing mountain streams, from which the site derives its name. This community observed the rules of Saint Benoît, the only Order at the time, practiced in the west. Construction on the permanent Abbey began some 50 years later (cloisters and chapter house), after the group affiliated with the Order of Citeaux in 1145 (http://www.fontfroide.com/chronologie.htm) The Abbey was an outpost in the fight against the Cathar heresy of the 12th and 13th centuries. One of its abbots, Jacques Fournier, was elected Pope under the name of Benoît XII (1334 - 1342). This proved to be its zenith in influence.

Fontfroide lost its protector, Pope Benedict XII upon his death in 1342. The tough economic years began as the harbor at Narbonne silted, compounded by the arrival of the plague. Three-quarters of the monks were lost to the Black Death. By 1476 the cistercian abbeys throughout France had all but been abandoned. The Abbey at Fontfroide was put on prebend. Over the next several hundred years, a succession of three noble families enjoyed the title (income and rents) of Abbot of Fontfroide (including de la Rochefoucauld from 1667 to 1717), without having to become priests in the Catholic Church (les abbés commendataires). In 1764 Louis XV consented to the extinction of the title and for the local episcopate to have jurisdiction.

The Révolution forced abandonment of most Church property, forfeit to the State. Fontfroide was no exception. On February 14, 1791, the last monk left, and the structure enjoyed a secular existence. From 1858-1901, a new Cistercian community flourished, but upon the death of its leader the Abbey once again closed.
So? Where did old Nostro mention all that?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 02:01 AM   #267
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Tomorrows prediction will be written sometime passed nostradamus time. But still it will be in our history.. But remarkable for a man who can see hundred years ahead... patients. and understand friend. dont be angry.
People don't like their intelligence being insulted, Rwalsh. If your next posted 'decipher' is even a tenth as pathetic as the ones you've posted so far, and if you continue to ignore responses which politely point out the many mistakes in them, expect the tone of those responses to get more angry rather than less.
Old 4th October 2010, 02:03 AM   #268
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
People don't like their intelligence being insulted, Rwalsh. If your next posted 'decipher' is even a tenth as pathetic as the ones you've posted so far, and if you continue to ignore responses which politely point out the many mistakes in them, expect the tone of those responses to get more angry rather than less.

I can not, answer everyones questions but I try my best.
Old 4th October 2010, 02:03 AM   #269
dafydd
Banned

Nostradamus is Accurate,
No.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 02:06 AM   #270
dafydd
Banned

I cannot answer all your questions....
Try the David Icke forums.They lap up this garbage over there.
Old 4th October 2010, 02:06 AM   #271
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Take it easy Norm, I sense you are getting angry with me becuase I am not concenting to what you are wishing at this moment. IF you be patient, I will present to you my deciphers. And no... Not all of them are deciphered like this one. I wanted to add the first one that I had troubles with. Tomorrows prediction will be written sometime passed nostradamus time. But still it will be in our history.. But remarkable for a man who can see hundred years ahead... patients. and understand friend. dont be angry.
No I am not angry at all. It's always fun to have a new chew toy to play with, and whether you believe it or not, I have been laughing about this ever since I read your first post.

it is so easy with people like you - minimal research is required to refute what you say, so very little effort is involved. Call it a practice run for when somebody comes along where detailed research is necessary (which is far more intellectually stimulating BTW).

Oh, I just read your latest post. Goodbye, Farewell and Amen...and we were just getting started too! Oh well, another one will be along soon.

ETA As Dyfdd said on one of your other threads

Quote:
Try the David Icke forums.They lap up this garbage over there.
Probably your best bet. You will become their brand new No. 1 Hero.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 4th October 2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 4th October 2010, 02:09 AM   #272
dafydd
Banned

I cant Answer all your questions. If you wish to know- then take the time and read everything that Nostradamus writes and ask him. Once you understand and read everything and research everything with cold hard facts. I guarantee if you love him like I do then you will develop a bond with him. He may even come and startle you in a dream or two., Once you upload the vital information in your brain cells, you will get a dream with the Nostradamus himself. This is some spiritual understanding I give./
I know it sounds wack and crazy. But try only focusing on this for years, and you will soon figure out why. Im telling you that if you think about it for too long you will have dreams about it. And these dreams are lucid and real, Just like the shocking cold truth in all of this. These are like cosmic waves-

His Spiritual Writing is like no other- this is Nostradamus himself speaking. These are my text and my words, yet you can hear the voice can you not? Becuase these texts are defined by character, characteristics.
What did old Nostro have in mind for 2011? Use his amazing writings to predict something.
Old 4th October 2010, 02:10 AM   #273
dafydd
Banned

But one of them is not from same father.

I state that one of them is not from same Father.
And That the younger will be the new Heir after his father.
Is English your first language?
Old 4th October 2010, 02:12 AM   #274
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

If you can't answer these pretty basic questions maybe you should take another look at the way you are producing your 'deciphers'. Does the fact that no-one else finds them as convincing as you do - that they in fact find them laughable - not give you the slightest pause? Has not the slightest doubt yet crossed your mind that what you are doing might have no validity?
Old 4th October 2010, 02:14 AM   #275
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Followed by:

Originally Posted by Fwalsh
One of you is lying.

Norm
Old 4th October 2010, 02:18 AM   #276
Rwalsh
Banned

There is only one thing left to say.

YOU ARE WRONG JAMES RANDI!!!!!!!
Old 4th October 2010, 02:21 AM   #277
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Yes but James Randi has not posted here for years, and had minimum presence when he did. This forum has nothing to do with Randi, except that it bears the name.

Oh, just in case, what is your evidence for Randi being wrong, and about which particular subject? I am sure he has been wrong about a number of things, so you need to be specific about what you are talking about.

Why did you lie when you said?

Quote:
Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 4th October 2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 4th October 2010, 02:24 AM   #278
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Randi has had a successful career as a magician, written many popular books, and has an international reputation.

You have made a few posts on his forum which have been easily ripped to shreds by a handful of sceptics with a little time on their hands.

Which do you think is really more likely to be wrong, you or Randi?
Old 4th October 2010, 02:31 AM   #279
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by bookitty View Post
...they have no swords...
Well, technically they do (there are many in the Royal Armouries), but they don't use them.

They couldnt, Becuase the messages are too clouded for even them!!!
Okay so what you're saying here is that the quatrains cannot be interpreted to predict future events because they are "clouded". You can only look back on past events and say "Wow, Nostradamus totally predicted that!".

Unfortunately you can do that with just about any text if it is vague and nonspecific enough.
Old 4th October 2010, 02:42 AM   #280
Normal Dude
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Please tell me this is your idea of a graceful exit from the forum.

And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT -Rwalsh
Normal Dude is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal