JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags consciousness

Old 4th December 2010, 08:06 PM   #361
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
X 20 is from here:

Dark matter 23%, Dark energy 72%, matter 4.6%
Picture: Estimated distribution of dark matter and dark energy in the universe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
100% of the Universe - 23% dark matter - 72% dark energy - 4.6% regular matter = 0.4% mystery.

Your theory. If you can't do simple math, and answer questions on your original post, why come here. You're coming off as a troll.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2010, 08:40 PM   #362
xjx388
Master Poster

I am the first . . .

mammal to wear pants! It's evolution, Baby!

This was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the thread title.
Quote:
Well that is possible. Not many employers want to hear that they are at animal levels.
This made me laugh!
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2010, 07:43 AM   #363
Craig4
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjordan View Post
I am the first . . .

mammal to wear pants! It's evolution, Baby!

This was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the thread title.
This made me laugh!
Glad to brighten your day. It is true that we're all animals but most people treat it like the subject of hotel bath towels. Something we don't like to think too much about.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2010, 08:23 AM   #364
alfa1
Banned

An example of Spirituality, Aura, Consciousness; on 8 December is the Holiday.
My favorite video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riks-8ckY8A

My favorite movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpd7_...4A451C&index=0
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2010, 08:40 AM   #365
Buckaroo
Graduate Poster

My favorite video:

My favorite movie:
What the...?

"When you're slapped you'll take it and like it." -- Sam Spade
Buckaroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2010, 08:56 AM   #366
dafydd
Banned

My favorite video:

My favorite movie:
Oh dear.Never mind,good taste often develops later in life.

Last edited by dafydd; 5th December 2010 at 08:58 AM.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2010, 09:08 AM   #367
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

My favorite video:

My favorite movie:
An example of science.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

One of my favorite movies

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

An example of science in one of my favorite movies.

I AGREE

Have you got that definition and evidence of “chakras” yet?
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2010, 03:49 AM   #368
alfa1
Banned

Origin of the Universe
I calculated the minimum volume of the Universe - 4*10^(-43) cubic meters before the Big Bang .
This means no singularity, energy is not infinite, density is not infinite, volume is not zero, space time curvature is not infinite like Roger Penrose, Stephen Hawking and others said!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEIj9zcLzp0
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2010, 04:00 AM   #369
laca
Illuminator

Origin of the Universe
I calculated the minimum volume of the Universe - 4*10^(-43) cubic meters before the Big Bang .
This means no singularity, energy is not infinite, density is not infinite, volume is not zero, space time curvature is not infinite like Roger Penrose, Stephen Hawking and others said!
I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in those calculations.
laca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2010, 04:51 AM   #370
dafydd
Banned

Origin of the Universe
No you didn't.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2010, 04:55 AM   #371
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Check the batteries in your calculator.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2010, 05:50 AM   #372
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
Check the batteries in your calculator.
I thought that he was using an abacus.
Old 7th December 2010, 06:47 AM   #373
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Origin of the Universe
Maybe you should team up with Bjarne: You do the math, he does the fabulation. That could be the beginning of a great friendship.

Hans
Old 7th December 2010, 07:17 AM   #374
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Maybe you should team up with Bjarne: You do the math, he does the fabulation. That could be the beginning of a great friendship.

Hans
Now that would be a Nobel prize winning partnership.
Old 7th December 2010, 07:27 AM   #375
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

This thread is the reason scroll wheels were invented.
Old 7th December 2010, 11:58 AM   #376
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I am the first in the world who wrote a link between science and spirituality.
The most important question: Who am I?
I found the answer:
I am a WAVE and the wave function is:
|ψ> = c1|Φ1> + c2|Φ2> + c3|Φ3> + c4|Φ4> + c5|Φ5> + c6|Φ6> + c7|Φ7>
are 7 states |Φi > because are 7 major chakras or energy centers.
Do you, by chance, know George Simpson?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2010, 12:34 PM   #377
dafydd
Banned

I am a WAVE
You are a Wireless Access Vehicular Environment?

Last edited by dafydd; 7th December 2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:46 PM   #378
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

My favorite video:

My favorite movie:
Bernadette was 98% animal.

And the movie was 100% schlock.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:58 PM   #379
alfa1
Banned

What science can not explain it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7uPLx8PM8c
Old 8th December 2010, 01:12 PM   #380
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

What science can not explain it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7uPLx8PM8c
Excellent question. Please tell us what science cannot explain it. Then I will tell you what science can explain it.
Old 9th December 2010, 05:03 AM   #381
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
You are a Wireless Access Vehicular Environment?
No, he's a "Woman Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service".

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2010, 05:37 AM   #382
alfa1
Banned

"The light can escape from a black hole because the density of the 'singularity' is smaller than the Planck density" Adrian Ferent

The physicists say the light can not escape from a black hole; this is wrong in my view because the highest density in the black hole is smaller(or equal) than the Planck density.
The 'singularity' with ZERO volume does not exists...
Old 9th December 2010, 06:11 AM   #383
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Nevermind.

People like TjW -- Kelly
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2010, 07:12 AM   #384
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

"The light can escape from a black hole because the density of the 'singularity' is smaller than the Planck density" Adrian Ferent

The physicists say the light can not escape from a black hole; this is wrong in my view because the highest density in the black hole is smaller(or equal) than the Planck density.
Are you familiar with the concept of an "event horizon?"
Old 9th December 2010, 09:41 AM   #385
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Why do you believe Planck density is critical?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2010, 10:25 AM   #386
alfa1
Banned

How the Universe, black hole can have a density higher than the Planck density?
How was crossed the Planck wall?
Who calculated?
Old 9th December 2010, 10:41 AM   #387
Craig4
Philosopher

Who calculated?
So are we off the 98% animals thing now?
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2010, 10:48 AM   #388
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So are we off the 98% animals thing now?
Oh, I have the sinking feeling that 98% animals thing will be intimately connected to the Planck density thing.
Old 9th December 2010, 11:22 AM   #389
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life

Location: Launching the army, waiting for Hok to commit her forces (then the moles strike...)
I'm still waiting to find out where 20 came from.

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2010, 11:39 AM   #390
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

Why are we still continuing? He's shown that all he's going to do is just skip to some other ridiculous topic by quoting himself and then saying something pointless with an exclamation mark at the end of it.

Here, I'll save us all some time. If you think of a question, just read this, and consider it an analog for the answer you'll get:

"If you are not a person, you are an animal" Adrian Ferrent
IF you eat meat, then you are an animal, as eating meat is a defining characteristic of animals!
Old 9th December 2010, 01:50 PM   #391
cornsail
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Bernadette was 98% animal.

And the movie was 100% schlock.
Shocker: I am 48% bicycle.
cornsail is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2010, 02:23 PM   #392
alfa1
Banned

How a black hole starts a quasar - can be a proof of my theory
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ru...Power_999.html
Old 9th December 2010, 02:27 PM   #393
Arthur Mann
Banned

How a black hole starts a quasar - can be a proof of my theory
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ru...Power_999.html
There are a couple of problems with this. First, black holes are imaginary. Second, quasars are sorely misunderstood by most.
Arthur Mann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2010, 02:28 PM   #394
Vorticity
Fluid Mechanic

Originally Posted by cornsail View Post
Shocker: I am 48% bicycle.
I am 100% bisexual... 50% of the time.

You do the math.
Old 9th December 2010, 02:34 PM   #395
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Who calculated?
Who claimed any such thing? You are the one who made a specific claim: that a black hole could not trap light, as "the density of the 'singularity' is smaller than the Planck density".

The Planck unit of density is in the order of 5 x 1096 kg m-3. Why do you claim a singularity would need to be this dense?

Let me put it another way. How small would the earth have to be to fit inside its own Schwarzschild radius? What would its approximate density be if it did?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2010, 02:37 PM   #396
Buckaroo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Arthur Mann View Post
There are a couple of problems with this. First, black holes are imaginary. Second, quasars are sorely misunderstood by most.

"When you're slapped you'll take it and like it." -- Sam Spade

Last edited by Buckaroo; 9th December 2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: 'Cuz I was more rude than I should've been.
Buckaroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2010, 02:44 PM   #397
Arthur Mann
Banned

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Oooh, boy. It's crank vs. crank. This oughta be good.
I'll thank you not to refer to other posters as cranks, it's disrespectful and insulting and doesn't further the discussion. If you have nothing to add to the discussion, remain silent.
Arthur Mann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2010, 02:48 PM   #398
Arthur Mann
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
You are the one who made a specific claim: that a black hole could not trap light, as "the density of the 'singularity' is smaller than the Planck density".
I'll make a competing claim to that:

Black hole is nonsensical fiction, it is not based on any known principle of physics, the idea violates several known, established principles of physics and is said to be utterly unobservable. All these "properties" of "black hole" suggest it is entirely fictional.

I'm not sure if this is on topic, I haven't read the OP. Maybe I'll go and do that now. I always go about things backwards like this, that way I can see the successes people have had before I learn the specifics of their failures. At least that applies to people who ultimately achieve success. Some people are perpetually stuck in failure mode, doing the same things over and over again in the same ways and expecting different results.
Old 9th December 2010, 02:53 PM   #399
Tubbythin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Arthur Mann View Post
Black hole is nonsensical fiction, it is not based on any known principle of physics, the idea violates several known, established principles of physics and is said to be utterly unobservable. All these "properties" of "black hole" suggest it is entirely fictional.
It is based on general relativity. Our theory of gravity that explains an extraordinary amount of data to an extraordinary precision.
And no, it is not utterly unobservable.
Tubbythin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2010, 03:12 PM   #400
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

It would be more appropriate to say "it is indirectly observable."

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy