JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags consciousness

Old 28th November 2010, 02:47 PM   #201
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
Everything is in my book Who am I?
I defined 7 levels...

Live the engineers alone they are not capable to do such things...
Ha! I defined at least 11 levels. You've got some more work to do, my friend.
Old 28th November 2010, 03:02 PM   #202
Craig4
Philosopher

I defined 7 levels...

You do realize that no one here is going to buy your book right?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2010, 03:34 PM   #203
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Along with the rest of the world.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2010, 03:35 PM   #204
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Mashuna View Post
Ha! I defined at least 11 levels. You've got some more work to do, my friend.
I counted 12.Alfa,you're way behind.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2010, 03:39 PM   #205
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

I defined 7 levels...

And…

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Where do you place yourself in those ‘levels’?
What level would be your “animal level”.

Do what “such things”?

Be mostly sane?

Be moderately crazy?

Pull a number out of their arse like

I calculated: 98%
?

You haven’t known too many engineers, have you?

As you assert “98%” are “idiots” and “rotten people” as well as “98% of people are at animal level” is this the target demographic for your book or did you write it for the other ‘2%’ that must comprise your other six levels?

Do you put that in the forward?

‘I hope you will enjoy this book in spite of the fact that I think most of you are idiots and rotten people at “animal level”.

Or closing remarks?

‘Unfortunately as this book was written for only 2% of the population not “at animal level”, so having purchased and read it chances are you are just one of the 98% I think are idiots and rotten people at “animal level”, but thanks anyway’.

Perhaps in a sales pitch?

‘“Who am I”, other than someone who has calculated that 98% of you are idiots and rotten people at “animal level”, buy my book and find out.’
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2010, 03:52 PM   #206
tsig
a carbon based life-form

"Obama represents the Americans(rich and poor) at animal level, Merkel represents the Germans at animal level, Sarkozy represents the French at animal level…."

Adrian Ferent

The USA ambassador said last week in Romania: the politicians have a special DNA that is why they do not say ‘the whole truth’.
I calculated the majority are at animal level, the politicians are elected by people at animal level.
That is why Obama represents the Americans(rich and poor) at animal level, Merkel represents the Germans at animal level, Sarkozy represents the French at animal level….
Here we are as Apes after 200000 years of Evolution.
From
You're not at the animal level, right?
tsig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2010, 04:01 PM   #207
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Fnord = Revenge?- you are right about Romania.
I am looking to go somewhere else...
FINALLY! You have responded to one of my posts. Now, how about responding with evidence for the existence of chakrae? What do I have to do to get you to respond appropriately to that question? Should I ask in the common language?

Vă rugăm să furnizaţi dovezi pentru existenţa unor "chakrae". Până când veţi face acest lucru, nici unul dintre noi aici, te vor crede. Ai înţeles?

<Please provide evidence for the existence of "chakrae". Until you do this thing, none of us here will believe you. Do you understand?>
Belief itself proves nothing.

Last edited by Fnord; 28th November 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2010, 04:07 PM   #208
quarky
Banned

This could get cruel.

Someone wandered into the wrong bar, in the wrong neighborhood, and spouted off some wrong stuff, and now we must beat him to death. Feels icky. Can't we just break its knees, and leave it alone?
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2010, 04:26 PM   #209
laca
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
FINALLY! You have responded to one of my posts. Now, how about responding with evidence for the existence of chakrae? What do I have to do to get you to respond appropriately to that question? Should I ask in the common language?

Vă rugăm să furnizaţi dovezi pentru existenţa unor "chakrae". Până când veţi face acest lucru, nici unul dintre noi aici, te vor crede. Ai înţeles?

<Please provide evidence for the existence of "chakrae". Until you do this thing, none of us here will believe you. Do you understand?>
Astonishing result from a Google translation...

However, for consistency's sake, it should have been either "Te rog să furnizezi dovezi pentru existenţa unor "chakrae". Până când vei face acest lucru, nici unul dintre noi aici te vor crede. Ai înţeles?" (for an intimate tone), or "Vă rugăm să furnizaţi dovezi pentru existenţa unor "chakrae". Până când veţi face acest lucru, nici unul dintre noi aici vă vor crede. Ați înţeles?" (for an official tone).
laca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2010, 04:38 PM   #210
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by laca View Post
Astonishing result from a Google translation...

However, for consistency's sake, it should have been either "Te rog să furnizezi dovezi pentru existenţa unor "chakrae". Până când vei face acest lucru, nici unul dintre noi aici te vor crede. Ai înţeles?" (for an intimate tone), or "Vă rugăm să furnizaţi dovezi pentru existenţa unor "chakrae". Până când veţi face acest lucru, nici unul dintre noi aici vă vor crede. Ați înţeles?" (for an official tone).
THANK YOU!

I had hoped that if he could explain his position in his native language, the rest of us could run it through GT and get something that (maybe) makes some sense. At the very least, he now knows that there is at least one of us who speaks Romanian.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2010, 08:47 PM   #211
quadraginta
What was the question?

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
THANK YOU!

I had hoped that if he could explain his position in his native language, the rest of us could run it through GT and get something that (maybe) makes some sense. At the very least, he now knows that there is at least one of us who speaks Romanian.

My Babblefish translator suggested that was an obscure dialect of Vogon.

Maybe I need to check for a version upgrade.
Old 28th November 2010, 09:42 PM   #212
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
My Babblefish translator suggested that was an obscure dialect of Vogon. Maybe I need to check for a version upgrade.
Vogon ... Romainian ... Rap ... it's all attrocious as poetry.
Old 29th November 2010, 03:30 AM   #213
cornsail
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
To be precise: 98% of us will not buy your book.
cornsail is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 03:33 AM   #214
cornsail
Illuminator

"Within each SCSPL system, subsystems sharing critical aspects of global structure will also manifest the self-configuration imperative of their inclusive SCSPL. Human beings are such subsystems."

Christopher Langan, Bouncer and World's Most Intelligent Man
cornsail is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 05:40 AM   #215
alfa1
Banned

98% is OK!
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 07:37 AM   #216
The Man

"is OK", for what?

Being “idiots” and “rotten people” as well as “at animal level”? Kind of makes your other 6 levels of your “Evolution theory on people” rather superfluous. Unless of course “animal level” is your top ‘level’ replete with “idiots” and “rotten people”.

Again…

"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 08:24 AM   #217
alfa1
Banned

I discovered the theory!
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 08:26 AM   #218
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Please provide proof that chakras exist.
Little 10 Toes is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 08:34 AM   #219
The Man

I discovered the theory!
Is 'discoverer of the theory' one of your 'levels'?

If so, it makes that ‘level’ rather restrictive.

If not, then it is hardly any kind of answer to the question.

Where does 'discoverer of the theory' as one of your levels rank in relation to your "animal level"?
Old 29th November 2010, 09:15 AM   #220
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

It’s all the stress and strain, elongated working hours and compressed schedules. Leading to a distortion under the applied loads and a Poisson distribution of crazy. So most engineers are only average crazy (for engineers that is), a few to the one end are practically sane (and often pass as such) and few to the other end are, well, I think ‘bat crap crazy’ is the technical engineering term.
I, for one, can pass for sane for up to several minutes, particularly on a phone conversation.

. . . if I'm not one of the participants.
Old 29th November 2010, 10:28 AM   #221
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Einstein said during the WWI:
"I find it difficult to believe that I belong to such an idiotic, rotten species — the species that actually boasts of its freedom of will, heroism on command, senseless violence, and all of the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism."

Einstein did not calculate how many idiots, rotten people are...
I calculated: 98%
I doubt you used a metric that makes sense or has any validity, so what metric did you use to measure those values?

Hmmmm?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 11:02 AM   #222
alfa1
Banned

You can try to do it!
Old 29th November 2010, 11:16 AM   #223
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Try and do what? How about you stop trolling and provide evidence of chakras? How about you explain to the average person what "|ψ> = c1|Φ1> + c2|Φ2> + c3|Φ3> + c4|Φ4> + c5|Φ5> + c6|Φ6> + c7|Φ7> are 7 states |Φi >" means?
Little 10 Toes is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 12:21 PM   #224
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

I'm still laughing at the idea of someone "discovering" a theory.
Old 29th November 2010, 12:36 PM   #225
quadraginta
What was the question?

Originally Posted by A Laughing Baby View Post
I'm still laughing at the idea of someone "discovering" a theory.

You'll get a real kick out of this thread, then.
Old 29th November 2010, 02:18 PM   #226
The Man

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
I, for one, can pass for sane for up to several minutes, particularly on a phone conversation.

. . . if I'm not one of the participants.
So you’re the one at the less crazy far end of the curve and also the one I keep hearing breathing on my phone. Thanks, for a while there I thought I was slipping down the slope past just average engineer crazy.

Last edited by The Man; 29th November 2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 29th November 2010, 02:25 PM   #227
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You'll get a real kick out of this thread, then.
Lord.
Old 29th November 2010, 03:26 PM   #228
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

So you’re the one at the less crazy far end of the curve and also the one I keep hearing breathing on my phone.
Usually I keep my breathing to myself, but every now and then I have the overwhelming urge to channel Darth Vader. Particularly during strategy sessions, for some reason.

Quote:
Thanks, for a while there I thought I was slipping down the slope past just average engineer crazy.
Oh, don't rule it out just because of me
Old 29th November 2010, 05:27 PM   #229
quarky
Banned

Well, I've thought about it for awhile, and I've decided that I'm willing to accept the o.p. at face value. I long to turn my fate over to a master of the occult, even if it means giving up my record collection and being cool with my ol' lady going to the ashram at night, without me, sometimes.

I'm just really tired of having to think.

At least I won't have to buy an "Amega Wand", right?

(I hate to shop. I just want someone to tell me what to do.)

Is it wrong to wonder about the places in between the chakras?
Is it possible to be stuck between the 3rd and 4th chakras?

Would I be allowed to invent a "Pi" chakra?
If I bought the book?
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 06:09 PM   #230
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

Sooo....I'm not going to get an explanation of what chakras are or do am I?
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2010, 06:29 PM   #231
quarky
Banned

I explained chakras. What more do you need?
Crotch chakra= low-life scum.
Head chakra= enlightened master.

The in between chakras are mostly boring, except maybe the 'heart' chakra. Heart chakra influences one's willingness to leave a big tip and such.
These 'centers' of energy flow remain outside of normal, pragmatic analysis.
Hence, no possible definition of them is likely to 'wash' with a skeptic.

The spiritual realm, by definition, is outside the realm of Newtonian factoids.

It only gets in trouble (with me, anyway) when it claims to bridge this gap; when it claims to be science.

Let's keep the spirit realm unpolluted!
Old 30th November 2010, 03:09 AM   #232
alfa1
Banned

"I defined people at animal level those who are living at the first 3 chakras level"
Adrian Ferent
Old 30th November 2010, 03:14 AM   #233
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

"I defined people at animal level those who are living at the first 3 chakras level"
Adrian Ferent
How can I tell what chakra level I am at? I'm not saying I necessarily want to raise my level and lord it over others, but I'd like to be able to put that in my medical history.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 03:36 AM   #234
Barney Gumble
New Blood

When someone attempts to answer the one of the 'big questions' with a complicated mathematical equation, well they're just too pig headed to admit they haven't got a clue.
Barney Gumble is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 03:42 AM   #235
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
When someone attempts to answer the one of the 'big questions' with a complicated mathematical equation, well they're just too pig headed to admit they haven't got a clue.
I think that we all twigged that with his first post.
Old 30th November 2010, 08:54 AM   #236
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

You can try to do it!
So you don't know how you derived your own figure, why does that suprize me?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 08:55 AM   #237
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Adrian Ferent
Define those behaviors and how your measured them.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:12 AM   #238
Craig4
Philosopher

Adrian Ferent
Cool, can we pick what animal we get to be?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 09:13 AM   #239
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

CC = 1/239 = 0.004

The credibility of this thread has now dropped below the 0.5 percentile threshold.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:30 AM   #240
dafydd
Banned

It never rose above 0.0.Is is just me or are our chew toys wearing out more quickly nowadays?

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy