IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st December 2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Nassim Haramein's unified theory enters mainstream science!

While perusing Scepcops site I came across this
http://www.shamanicattraction.com/bl...d-field-theory

This Winston fellow aka scepcop states.
Quote:
Here’s more important fundamental changes happening right now. Nassim Haramein’s paper on the The Schwartzschild Proton has just been approved and published in the American Institute of Physics magazine a few days ago! This means his radically different physics theories are now entering mainstream science. This marks the end of Quantum Physics and Classical Physics. We’re now entering a new realm of physics that contains it all with the Unified Field Theory.
I'm unable to offer any informed critiques. Any critiques that you the reader can offer are welcomed.
If you care to read what more Winston says follow the link
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/for...hp?f=11&t=1563
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2010, 05:49 PM   #2
sol invictus
Philosopher

That table of contents looks quackulent (i.e. based on the titles, the papers look crackpot). Not only that, I don't see any such magazine listed on the AIP website, either here or here.

Got any links to it (other than to a pdf of a supposed table of contents)? Does it actually exist?
sol invictus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2010, 05:53 PM   #3
ben m

Quote:
Nassim Haramein’s paper on the The Schwartzschild Proton has just been approved and published in the American Institute of Physics magazine a few days ago!
Not true. The AIP (American Institute of Physics) has a press. If you are having a conference, you can staple together all of the conference talks and the AIP will print it. This is not the "AIP magazine" (that's called Physics Today), it is not a scientific journal, it is not peer-reviewed. It's just the proceedings from a conference.

Moreover, it appears to be a completely insane conference. http://www2.ulg.ac.be/mathgen/CHAOS/CASYS.html

Last edited by ben m; 21st December 2010 at 05:55 PM.
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

So is the American Institute of Physics website representational of:

a. Good science, done well (solid, well-reasoned, valid).
b. Good science, badly done (sloppy, guesswork, iffy).
c. Bad science, done well (might fool the tinfoil-hat crowd).
d. Bad science, badly done (even the tinfoil-hat crowd might laugh).

Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2010, 09:11 PM   #5
sol invictus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post

a. - and the paper mentioned in the OP doesn't seem to have anything to do with the AIP.
sol invictus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2010, 06:46 AM   #6
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ben m View Post
Not true. The AIP (American Institute of Physics) has a press. If you are having a conference, you can staple together all of the conference talks and the AIP will print it. This is not the "AIP magazine" (that's called Physics Today), it is not a scientific journal, it is not peer-reviewed. It's just the proceedings from a conference.

Moreover, it appears to be a completely insane conference. http://www2.ulg.ac.be/mathgen/CHAOS/CASYS.html
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post

Looking over the AIP site the word networking hub I think would better identify it's purpose. Looking at the magazine Physics Today the articles look sound. I searched for Nassim Haramein within the magazine no results. He does appear on the home site under this *link . However, I'm unable to find the article on that page. But like Ben said they will list your conferences etc. without stated or implied endorsement. AIP also lists a number of other publications none of which have even the slightest whiff of woo about them. Thanks Ben for the help.

* http://www.aip.org/aip/search_result...%2Fpubs%2F#161
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:08 AM   #7
Emet
Illuminator

Here's a self described teacher of physics and math, who writes a blog:

Quote:
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2010
Nassim Haramein - Fraud or Sage?

I'd like to outline here some very sound reasons for asserting that Nassim Haramein is grossly misleading people by claiming to have any depth of scientific understanding behind his ideas.
http://azureworld.blogspot.com/2010/...ge-part-2.html
Emet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:12 AM   #8
DC
Banned

i have heard his theory fails becuase he just asumes that the mass of a proton is the way he wants it. But that stuff is way above my head
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:29 AM   #9
ben m

Let me add this link to explain AIP's "involvement"

http://proceedings.aip.org/organizers/publish_with_aip
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Uncayimmy
Banned

Originally Posted by ben m View Post

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that quack websites seem to use HTML frames much more so than other sites?
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2010, 02:15 PM   #11
ben m

I'm having fun with the rest of this conference program.

My guess at what's going on: it looks like there's some subfield of computer science/dynamical systems modeling, that ostensibly runs this conference. For some reason this subfield also attracts sort of woo "deep thoughts about the emergent nature of consciousness, whoa, dude" people who are happy to venture into the pseudo-relativity and pseudo-quantum speculations. However, I think that one or two of the conference organizers are outright physics crackpots in their spare time, and I think that they sent the call-for-papers email out to the European crackpot community. This results in such papers as the following:

Quote:
An Epistemological Revision of the Heliocentric Perspective
Melanie Claire Purcell (Australia)

From Mathematical Idealism to Scientific Realism: Understanding the Technological Singularity, Semantics and Applied Linguistic Theories
Melanie Claire Purcell (Australia)
Purcell is a philosopher; I don't know whether her work is credible in a literary-theory context, but it sounds completely nuts from where I stand. She's also a member of the Telesio Galilei academy (the one that's given its annual award to, among others: Wal Thornhill, Reg Cahill, Florentin Smarandache, Myon Evans, and Wladimir Guglinski)

Quote:
Scientific Consensus
Otto van Nieuwenhuijze (The Netherlands)
From his web page http://sites.google.com/site/ottovan...nhuijze/papers, "What we need is a Science of Life, integrating Body, Mind, Souls & Spirit; thesep papers describe how this works. The papers all are expression of the underlying 4D D logic, in which Space-Time_Energy-Consciousness are all united."

Quote:
Founding Gravitation in 4D Euclidean Space-Time Geometry - A Reconstruction and Reinterpretation of Jan Broekaert's Gravitation Model
Franz-Günter Winkler (Austria)
"My interest in relativity theory originates from my work in cognitive science, which calls for a fundamental integration of space and time. I expected to find a philosophical basis for my arguments in special relativity, but was rather disappointed by the way Einstein’s theory is being taught and interpreted. However, I developed an alternative interpretation that much better supports my ideas on space and time."

Quote:
Generalised Relativistic Hamiltonian in an Alpha Field
Branko Novakovic (Croatia)
From someone who has never published a physics paper. An author of the same name has several robotics/cybernetics publications.

Quote:
How Many Dimensions are Required in Physics?
Dieter Gernert (Germany)

Entanglement in Living Systems
Dieter Gernert (Germany)
Has written five articles complaining about Occam's Razor and peer review; two of these articles are published in the Journal of Scientific Exploration (alongside articles including "Scalar Wave Effects according to Tesla and Far Range Transponder, "Proposed Criteria for the Necessary Conditions for Shamanic Journeying Imagery", and "Thematic Analysis of Research Mediums’ Experiences of Discarnate Communcation", to give you the flavor)

Quote:
Torsion Fields, Propagating Singularities, Nilpotence, Quantum Jumps and the Eikonal Equations
Diego Lucio Rapoport (Argentina)
Another Telesio-galilei award winner!

Quote:
Breakthrough in the Newtonian Gravitation with a Schwarzschild Potential: Fast Incursive Simulations of the Mercury Planet, the Emergence of a Black Hole and Naked Singularities
Daniel M. Dubois (Belgium)
Dubois edits the CASYS proceedings, and appears to have no physics background whatsoever.

Quote:
Nuclear Matter and Quark Chain in the Atomic Nucleus
Domitian G. Popescu (France)

Super Heavy Elements (SHE) Production Through the High Spin States
Domitian G. Popescu (France)
This person does not appear in Google Scholar, except attached to the latter abstract.

Quote:
Einstein has Unwillingly Chosen the Wrong Kernel in Building the GTR
Tolga Yarman, Metin Arik (Turkey),
Alexander L. Kholmetskii (Belarus)
Yarman: yet another telesio-galilei member! These authors have a long, long list of unpublished preprints in the "physics" archive. The first one I clicked on was following up on the work of Tom Van Flandern.

Quote:
Particles of High Bessel Order: a new Candidate to Dark Matter Problem
Gilles Nibart (France)
Author: on the board of Noetic Press, co-organizer of this conference. No identifiable physics publications.

Quote:
Tunneling: Virtual Phonons, Photons, and Electrons
Günter Nimtz (Germany)
Apparently well-known, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%BCnter_Nimtz , for his argument that he's done experiments that transmit information faster than light.

Quote:
Possible Experimental Evidence for Violation of Standard Electrodynamics, de Broglie Pilot Wave and Spacetime Deformation
R. Mignani, A. Petrucci, F. Cardone (Italy)
Two more Telesio Galilei members.

Quote:
Evidence of Microscopic Ball Lightning Associated with Atomic Transformation
Edward Lewis (USA)
This is great stuff http://www.padrak.com/ine/ELEWIS3.html . "Tornadoes and ball lightning are identified, and described as plasmoid phenomena. Certain anomalous characteristics of tornadoes and ball lightning are described and shown to be similar to the behavior of the plasmoid phenomena produced by electrolysis and discharge apparatus; in part, as evidenced by certain kinds of micrometer sized traces in nuclear emulsions and marks in materials.

I suspect that all phenomena is plasmoid phenomena, and that galaxies, atoms, and particles are plasmoids. Plasmoids seem to be basically an electrical-magnetic phenomena. In other articles(1,2), I've described plasmoids and plasmoid behavior extensively, and shown that plasmoids are responsible for the excess energy and transmutation effects observed in various kinds of "cold fusion" apparatus."

Quote:
A Penetrating Magnetic Photon in the 100 keV Domain
Jacques Steyaert (Belgium)
He's been making this claim since the mid-1980s. It's not just a heavy photon, it's also a tachyon, as explained by this book on near-death experiences.

Last edited by ben m; 22nd December 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 22nd December 2010, 04:42 PM   #12
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Thank you, ben m, your post is informative and entertaining .

"Mainstream science" it ain't. Mainstream philosophy - quite possibly.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology