JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 22nd December 2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Pumpkin seeds and cholesterol

Wife called me just now, she's watching Dr. Oz. Ozzy mentions that pumpkin seeds are really good for two things; They can potentially lower cholesterol and have benefits for prostate health as well.
Evidently, they contain the equivalent of "plant cholesterol" (phytosterols) which have such effects.
There are numerous references to this on the net, as you'd imagine, though most of the sources seem to be from folks in the "naturopath" area.

Now, I like pumpkin seeds (we used to buy them as "pepitas" from the nut store) and I have high cholesterol (currently taking two different drugs). As well, at 64, the old prostate seems to be following nature's course...
So I'm tempted to try the things. I know where my cholesterol numbers are, since I get checked frequently. Should be fairly simple to see if there's any actual effect.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Wife called me just now, she's watching Dr. Oz. Ozzy mentions that pumpkin seeds are really good for two things; They can potentially lower cholesterol and have benefits for prostate health as well.
Evidently, they contain the equivalent of "plant cholesterol" (phytosterols) which have such effects.
There are numerous references to this on the net, as you'd imagine, though most of the sources seem to be from folks in the "naturopath" area.

Now, I like pumpkin seeds (we used to buy them as "pepitas" from the nut store) and I have high cholesterol (currently taking two different drugs). As well, at 64, the old prostate seems to be following nature's course...
So I'm tempted to try the things. I know where my cholesterol numbers are, since I get checked frequently. Should be fairly simple to see if there's any actual effect.
How many do you have to eat?
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

LINK
There may be better sources than pumpkin seeds.

Food................................Serving....... ............Phytosterols (mg)
Wheat germ.................... cup (57 g) ......................197
Sesame oil......................1 tablespoon (14 g)..............118
Corn oil...........................1 tablespoon (14 g).............102
Canola oi........................1 tablespoon (14 g).............. 92
Peanuts .........................1 ounce (28 g)..................... 62
Wheat bran .................... cup (29 g)........................58
Almonds .........................1 ounce (28 g).................... 39
Brussels sprouts .............. cup (78 g)........................34
Rye bread.........................2 slices (64 g).....................33
Macadamia nuts ..............1 ounce (28 g)......................33
Olive oil ..........................1 tablespoon (14 g)..............22

ξ
Perpetual Student is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Where is your list in that link?

This source says Pumpkin seeds have 265mg/100g .

http://www.suite101.com/content/heal...n-seeds-a45555

Which equals 2.65mg per gram of seeds, which is higher than some of the items in your list , while others in your list are significantly higher than the pumpkin seeds.

The list would be more informative if is ranked the items according to mg of phytosterols per gram of each item with pumpkin seeds included in the mix..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...icals/sterols/

ξ
Perpetual Student is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2010, 05:14 PM   #6
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting that good old wheat germ should top the list, used to be a standard "health food" when I was a kid....
I noted when I looked at the local grocery that pumpkin seeds are not exactly easy to find; there were plenty of sunflower seeds and tons of various kinds of "trail mix" including stuff that's supposedly tailored for various health benefits... But not pumpkin seed one.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:04 PM   #7
ThunderChunky
Graduate Poster

According to this reference found on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytosterol), plant sterols do help reduce cholesterol.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/133/....full.pdf+html
ThunderChunky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology