JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 27th December 2010, 06:17 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

New Developement concerning randy Dobbs.

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/Offe...Redirector.jsp

I was on the grand jury that indicted this murderer when he was 15. We could have indicted him as a juvenile but we chose to indict him as an adult. Seeing his picture 21 years later new information has come about. I'm glad hes out of society.

He's now a white supremist and wiccan satanist.
Old 27th December 2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

1) Linky no work.
2) You're proud of indicting a 15 year old as an adult? I have no words.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Saying "wiccan satanist" is like saying "jewish hindu" or muslim buddhist". They are two different religions that have little to do with each other.

Satan or a universal figurehead of evil does not exist in wicca.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Sword_Of_Truth View Post
Saying "wiccan satanist" is like saying "jewish hindu" or muslim buddhist". They are two different religions that have little to do with each other.

Very true. At the same time, white supremacist religious movements make for some odd associations and beliefs.
Old 27th December 2010, 07:59 AM   #5
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Sword_Of_Truth View Post

Correct.
Old 27th December 2010, 08:00 AM   #6
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Very true. At the same time, white supremacist religious movements make for some odd associations and beliefs.
Some of them are "Asatru," which is a form of Norse paganism.
Old 27th December 2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Megalodon
Master Poster

I was on the grand jury that indicted this murderer when he was 15.
Hooray for you...

Quote:
We could have indicted him as a juvenile but we chose to indict him as an adult.
Yeah, I can understand... he was too young to sign contracts, vote, have consensual sex, drink, join the military... but obviously he had to be tried as an adult. If you enjoy so many of society's rights, it's obvious that you have to take the responsibilities.

Quote:
Seeing his picture 21 years later new information has come about. I'm glad hes out of society.
I'm glad 12 random bozos can't decide to try children as adults around here.

Quote:
You mean that a penitentiary is not the best place to raise a child? I would say rehabilitate, but you obviously are not aware, or at least interested, in the concept...

You helped destroy a life, I hope you're happy with yourself.

Megalodon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 08:58 AM   #8
clown
Thinker

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/Offe...Redirector.jsp

I was on the grand jury that indicted this murderer when he was 15. We could have indicted him as a juvenile but we chose to indict him as an adult. Seeing his picture 21 years later new information has come about. I'm glad hes out of society.

I guess 15-year-old in prison has to find a way to survive. My guess is that joining one of two biggest, most powerful gangs (neonazis aka white supremacist btw) is viable method of survival.

Twenty+ years later... well, who can say if he really believes it now? Twenty years of indoctrination + Stockholm syndrome can account for a lot. Especially true since he is now longer in prison than he was free.

Once you know the difference between Right and Wrong, you can't choose to do Wrong.
What people really need is usually not what they wish for.

Last edited by clown; 27th December 2010 at 08:59 AM.
clown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Cleon
King of the Pod People

After some digging...There's no way to get directly to the page. You have to go to "Offender Search" and hit some search parameters.

Here's what the site says:

Quote:
STG: WICCA/SATANISM; SATANIC/WHITE SUPREMACIST TATTOOS ALL OVER BODY
Which really isn't much of an analysis of religious views.

Now, as for the case itself (which Cainkane1 hasn't elaborated on):

Quote:
STATE OF GEORGIA - CURRENT SENTENCES

CASE NO: 256978 OFFENSE: ARMED ROBBERY
CONVICTION COUNTY: ROCKDALE COUNTY
CRIME COMMIT DATE: 10/25/1989
SENTENCE LENGTH: NOT AVAILABLE

CASE NO: 256978 OFFENSE: MURDER
CONVICTION COUNTY: ROCKDALE COUNTY
CRIME COMMIT DATE: 10/25/1989
SENTENCE LENGTH: NOT AVAILABLE
He's serving a life sentence.
Old 27th December 2010, 09:09 AM   #10
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Stg: Wicca/satanism; satanic/white supremacist tattoos all over body
Old 27th December 2010, 09:14 AM   #11
Cainkane1
Philosopher

If you're interested you can find randy Dobbs on the inmate information available on the link I provided.

For those of you who are interested randy did this. He stayed home from school in October 1989 and he ordered three pizzas with everything on them. A 20 year old married girl with a 7 month old baby came to the door and he shot her through her head through a window. She died instantly.

We had the choice of indicting him as a juvenile or an adult. If we had indicted him as a juvenile he would have served three years. As an adult he can be taken out of society permanently. Had he been three years older hed have been executed by now.
Old 27th December 2010, 09:24 AM   #12
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Stg: Wicca/satanism; satanic/white supremacist tattoos all over body
Notes probably taken by someone whose knowledge of neo-paganism comes from watching Jerry Springer.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 09:41 AM   #13
Cainkane1
Philosopher

its my guess that Randy goes from one type of mumbo jumbo crap to another.
Old 27th December 2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
Hooray for you...

Yeah, I can understand... he was too young to sign contracts, vote, have consensual sex, drink, join the military... but obviously he had to be tried as an adult. If you enjoy so many of society's rights, it's obvious that you have to take the responsibilities.

You mean that a penitentiary is not the best place to raise a child? I would say rehabilitate, but you obviously are not aware, or at least interested, in the concept...

I disagree with you. He knew what he was doing and by putting him away for life we probably saved another innocent person from being murdered.

Oh and incidentally. I'd do it again. Oh yes, there was 18 of us Bozos.

Last edited by Cainkane1; 27th December 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 09:56 AM   #15
angrysoba
Philosophile

I thought this would be a thread about what everybody's favourite immigrant-worrying anchor-man got up to at his news network's Christmas Party. Perhaps involving one of the female anchors and a photocopier.

Bit disappointed.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 10:00 AM   #16
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I would too.re: post 14. Her life was worth far more than his - and he stole it from her and her children. No argument on permanent put away from me.

Just hope he has a real close buddy to comfort him. If you know what I mean and I think you do. (OK, actually I wish him continued terror and pain. There is no redemption for what he did - that young woman is dead forever due to his intentional and fully thought out act - and, though I am not privy to his psych reports I do not doubt remotely that his behavior pattern was not changeable - but would not care if it was except to the extent that if it was he would live with the knowledge of how evil he had been.)

I do not hate the insane, I wish them well in healing - until they harm some other person - then I wish only for their destruction.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!

Last edited by fuelair; 27th December 2010 at 10:01 AM.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 10:31 AM   #17
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

As skeptics, I would think you should be interested in looking past your emotional bias and considering the social tenants we are ingrained with for the arbitrary illusions they may be. The entire notion of someone "deserving" something for example. The idea of trying to improve people or at least being curious about how far rehabilitation can be taken and explored. You don't have to condone or feel sorry for these criminals to wonder if the archaic way we deal with them cannot be improved upon. Look beyond your emotional knee jerk reaction, play the devil's advocate in the interest of knowledge itself. The choices people make are not as black and white as we like to think they are. Crimes such as this one were horrific and disgusting, but that doesn't mean you should throw your critical thinking out the window in the name of what you were taught to think of as justice. There are a million other factors and varying degrees in a million other criminal situations. This is simply one of the more horrific and "cut and dry" cases being highlighted, but that doesn't mean we should stop exploring our behavior.

Last edited by Halfcentaur; 27th December 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 10:50 AM   #18
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by clown View Post
I guess 15-year-old in prison has to find a way to survive. My guess is that joining one of two biggest, most powerful gangs (neonazis aka white supremacist btw) is viable method of survival.

Twenty+ years later... well, who can say if he really believes it now? Twenty years of indoctrination + Stockholm syndrome can account for a lot. Especially true since he is now longer in prison than he was free.
Actually he wasn't sent to an adult prison until he was 18.

When the police arrested him and he had his hands cuffed behind his back he was deliberately smiling at the cameras. Hey looky what I did and theres noting you can do about it because I'm a juvenile.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:58 AM   #19
rwguinn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
Hooray for you...

Does your sanctimony always stand in the way of the facts?
Indictment is not conviction. Grand Juries do not convict. They simply state that there is sufficient evidence for trial

When the police arrested him and he had his hands cuffed behind his back he was deliberately smiling at the cameras. Hey looky what I did and theres noting you can do about it because I'm a juvenile.
Well done, and thank you for your service.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 11:01 AM   #20
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

You have to do a bit of digging, but, yes, this "kid" was pretty much a lost cause at the time this happened. If he hadn't killed this woman, he'd have killed someone else. There was something very wrong inside this person's head right from the start.

Was prison the best choice? Hell, I don't know. It would be good to think that he could have been rehabbed, and returned to society. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have been an option, and the people who decided this, the grand jury, had a better idea what was going on in this person's head than I ever will.

I'm sorry, but I lump Randy Dobbs in with Richard Allen Davis. Sorry, but he's pretty much gone.
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 11:09 AM   #21
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Is there any rehabilitation of high enough quality that it could ensure that there wouldn't be another murder? It seems to me that there's no possible way we could ever reasonably be certain that this kid, now adult, isn't a serial killer or some kind of repeat offender killing beyond his control.

You want to explain the decision to let him out of prison to the family of his next victim? The crime itself shows characteristics sufficient to merit the adult punishment. It was a planned act of incomprehensible malice and cruelty.

Now, I would be open to hearing some modification of the current standards of incarceration, but this person can never be in public again.

Last edited by TraneWreck; 27th December 2010 at 11:11 AM.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 11:11 AM   #22
clown
Thinker

Still... 18 year old in prison?...

On the other hand, never mind. He should have never been allowed in general prison population. Solitary cell all the way, 23 hours a day, every day. That's the way you do it, to prevent him getting weird ideas and make him do some introspection.

Once you know the difference between Right and Wrong, you can't choose to do Wrong.
What people really need is usually not what they wish for.
clown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 12:00 PM   #23
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

If you're interested you can find randy Dobbs on the inmate information available on the link I provided.
And yet what you did still sickens me.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 12:11 PM   #24
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
You want him on the streets? What's your rehab program that assures us he won't kill again?
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 12:11 PM   #25
Cainkane1
Philosopher

You're kidding right?
Old 27th December 2010, 12:12 PM   #26
Cainkane1
Philosopher

You're kidding right? What would you have had us do? Let him out in three years?
Old 27th December 2010, 12:41 PM   #27
Uncayimmy
Banned

For those of you who are interested randy did this. He stayed home from school in October 1989 and he ordered three pizzas with everything on them. A 20 year old married girl with a 7 month old baby came to the door and he shot her through her head through a window. She died instantly.
If, however, the two had hit it off and had sex, she would have been charged with a crime.
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 12:59 PM   #28
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

What would you have preferred to do?

Let's consider this another way: You're the one on the grand jury hearing the evidence against this person. What decision would you have made that might have offered any hope of redeeming this individual? Frankly, given the particulars, and what he did after he shot this woman in the head through the window, without even opening the door to see who he was shooting, (running off to visit grandma in the van the victim drove to the house), leaves me curious as to what else could have been done.

Originally Posted by UncaYimmy View Post
If, however, the two had hit it off and had sex, she would have been charged with a crime.
How cute.
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 01:06 PM   #29
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

A news story from 1989 regarding this killing.
Old 27th December 2010, 01:33 PM   #30
Uncayimmy
Banned

Originally Posted by Roadtoad View Post
How cute.
It's 100% true. Georgia presumes without question that a 14 year old does not have the maturity to understand the consequences of shagging a 20 year old, but in this case they decided he had the maturity to understand the consequences of shooting someone in an argument. Not only that, they decided that there was no possible way for this kid, who was still in his formative years, to mature into a law-abiding citizen. Now, looking at how this man turned out after 20 years in prison, one of the people responsible for this decision has decided that he was right after all.
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 01:56 PM   #31
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

It's 100% true. Georgia presumes without question that a 14 year old does not have the maturity to understand the consequences of shagging a 20 year old, but in this case they decided he had the maturity to understand the consequences of shooting someone in an argument. Not only that, they decided that there was no possible way for this kid, who was still in his formative years, to mature into a law-abiding citizen. Now, looking at how this man turned out after 20 years in prison, one of the people responsible for this decision has decided that he was right after all.
True or not, your comment came across as being snarky and smug.

I've had to do a bit of digging to get at the root of this story, but it comes across to me that Randy Brooks Dobbs, Jr. was pretty well lost by the time he pulled out a gun and shot a woman with a 7 month old child. This kid never knew his mother, and had to deal with people trying to release Dobbs from prison.

That's bad enough, but the worst part of it seems his near total lack of remorse for the life he took. I realize the environment into which we've place him leaves little room for reflection, but it does happen, and even the most hardened of prisoners can at least fake it for the few hours a parole hearing might take. That doesn't seem to be happening.

I wish he could be rehabilitated. It would seem to me he's made little effort to even try to meet anyone halfway. Considering it's his future, that doesn't bode well.
Old 27th December 2010, 02:25 PM   #32
Uncayimmy
Banned

Originally Posted by Roadtoad View Post
True or not, your comment came across as being snarky and smug.
Funny thing is, I find it more important for something to be true than my personal feelings about the attitude of the person making the comment.

Quote:
That's bad enough, but the worst part of it seems his near total lack of remorse for the life he took. I realize the environment into which we've place him leaves little room for reflection, but it does happen, and even the most hardened of prisoners can at least fake it for the few hours a parole hearing might take. That doesn't seem to be happening.
Actually, it sounds like he might have a mental illness such as antisocial personality disorder. According to the Mayo Clinic, "Symptoms tend to peak during the late teenage years and early 20's. They may improve on their own by a person's 40's."

But, I agree, let's lock the kid up in prison for life without even trying to see if we can make things better. I mean, c'mon, it doesn't matter if his voice hadn't finished changing yet.
Old 27th December 2010, 02:52 PM   #33
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

Actually, it sounds like he might have a mental illness such as antisocial personality disorder. According to the Mayo Clinic, "Symptoms tend to peak during the late teenage years and early 20's. They may improve on their own by a person's 40's."

But, I agree, let's lock the kid up in prison for life without even trying to see if we can make things better. I mean, c'mon, it doesn't matter if his voice hadn't finished changing yet.
Or, perhaps they had looked into this, found he was simply evil, and realized nothing could be done except lock him up. Cainkane is the only one who was in the GJ chambers. I don't always agree with him, but I don't see him simply figuring it wasn't worth the time to try and fix this if it were possible.
Old 27th December 2010, 04:44 PM   #34
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

You're kidding right? What would you have had us do? Let him out in three years?
So that's really the only two options? There's no "we should recognise that this person isn't an adult, but still keep him locked up until he can reasonably be judged to not be a danger to society" option? I don't want to boast, but I'm pretty sure we manage to find this option in the UK.

Old 27th December 2010, 04:50 PM   #35
Cainkane1
Philosopher

So that's really the only two options? There's no "we should recognise that this person isn't an adult, but still keep him locked up until he can reasonably be judged to not be a danger to society" option? I don't want to boast, but I'm pretty sure we manage to find this option in the UK.
Sledge I saw a discussion concering the possible release of a serial killer in your country who had killed 13 women. We may overdo it but you europeans sure underdo it big time.

I'm sorry I disgust you.
Old 27th December 2010, 05:06 PM   #36
dtugg
Banned

It may have been an option to the Georgia legislature and the judge that sentenced him (maybe this crime required life in prison in Georgia in 1989, I don't really know). But it sure was not to the grand jury that Cainkane1 was on, so I don't know how you could possibly say that what he did sickens you.

I do know one thing. If I was on this grand jury and the choices were to indict this piece of garbage as a juvenile and let him go free after a few years or indict him as an adult and perhaps he would go to prison forever, it would not be a difficult choice at all.

Last edited by dtugg; 27th December 2010 at 05:10 PM.
dtugg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 06:01 PM   #37
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

So he was 14, and it wasn't pre-meditated. He had an argument about the bill, and he had a gun to hand.

Rolfe.
Old 27th December 2010, 06:03 PM   #38
dtugg
Banned

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
So he was 14, and it wasn't pre-meditated. He had an argument about the bill, and he had a gun to hand.

Rolfe.
Just a little mix up. He should only serve a few years in prison.
dtugg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2010, 06:18 PM   #39
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Sledge I saw a discussion concering the possible release of a serial killer in your country who had killed 13 women. We may overdo it but you europeans sure underdo it big time.

I'm sorry I disgust you.
Thank you for in no way answering my question.

Old 27th December 2010, 06:38 PM   #40
angrysoba
Philosophile

What is the point of this?

If it is an attempt at humour it is a very bad one. [speaking of which why hasn't anyone acknowledged my attempt at humour with a "LOL!" or a "ROFLMAO!" or a "*facepalm*"]

If there is a point being made about the inconsistency of the law then you should at least first try and recognize the inconsistency in the degree of culpability between a woman who was shot dead and the person who shot her dead.

Now, if you really want to play hypothetical games then you could say, "If they were both to hit it off and decide to go on a shooting rampage together..." then maybe she would be held somewhat more accountable for the crime then he was.

But that's not what happened. What happened was the boy shot a pizza delivery woman in cold-blood.

As for trying him as an adult, I think it is too difficult to make that judgement purely from reading what we have read. I expect that he could have shown such lack of remorse and indifference to what he had done that he could have been tried as an adult and sent down for life.

I don't buy the argument that he had had his life ruined by being sent down at such an early age. He's clearly responsible for ruining his own life as well as the woman he killed and her recently born child.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events