JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags john edward

Old 15th January 2013, 01:12 AM   #1361
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Possibly not stalking, but not nice, either.
This is why your advise was so good, FluffyPersian.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 09:01 AM   #1362
meg
psychic reader

Originally Posted by FluffyPersian View Post
I think she's referring to the commenter who mentioned butterflies, possibly referring to her niece's experience with monarch butterflies that Robin discussed here. It may well be a poster or lurker here who followed the link she posted to the Yorktown page. The commenter is pretty abrasive, but I wouldn't call that stalking.

No, Robin told the butterfly story on her own blog, too. Mentioned butterflies several times, actually.

Last edited by meg; 15th January 2013 at 09:02 AM.
meg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 11:08 PM   #1363
FluffyPersian
Critical Thinker

I was really enjoying this thread. Maybe we can ask Edward to contact it?
FluffyPersian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 03:18 AM   #1364
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by FluffyPersian View Post
I was really enjoying this thread. Maybe we can ask Edward to contact it?
OK I just did, psychically.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 04:04 AM   #1365
Fast Eddie B
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
OK I just did, psychically.
That may just have a chance of working.

He's probably feeling a "t" name from somewhere in the vicinity of this corner of the internet.

He may want to know if you recently bought a refrigerator!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 07:19 AM   #1366
Femke
Goddess of the Glowing Sunsets

Hey, that's me! My cat Chakotay is stretched out in the windowsill next to me, and I was thinking of going down to open the refrigerator.
That is uncanny! How did he know that?
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 03:09 PM   #1367
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

That's nothing.
A cat of mine named Toffee wanted his chin rubbed and I've opened the fridge 3 times this afternoon.
Spooky, nicht wahr?
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 03:16 PM   #1368
Femke

Real spooky, ja.

ETA: is Toffee orange, just like mine? Then the spookiness would really be too much for a coincidence, because I just opened the fridge to pour myself a Jägermeister. Like you knew I'd be walking in with German on my mind.
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.

Last edited by Femke; 19th January 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 08:11 PM   #1369
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Pffftt... It was me he was psychically contacting all along.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:14 AM   #1370
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

^
Awesome.

Originally Posted by Femke View Post
Real spooky, ja.

ETA: is Toffee orange, just like mine? Then the spookiness would really be too much for a coincidence, because I just opened the fridge to pour myself a Jägermeister. Like you knew I'd be walking in with German on my mind.
Unglaubliche spooky.
Toffee IS a marmalade tiger. With honey coloured eyes.
Do you reckon the million is within our grasp?
Old 20th January 2013, 02:32 AM   #1371
Femke

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Unglaubliche spooky.
Toffee IS a marmalade tiger. With honey coloured eyes.
Do you reckon the million is within our grasp?
<gasp>It must be. This is sooo spooky.

Oh, there is something coming through. I see the face of an elderly gentleman to the upper left of you, he shakes his head sadly.
He gives me a word starting with co... con... coin... Does that ring a bell?

Old 20th January 2013, 05:24 PM   #1372
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Oh, there is something coming through. I see the face of an elderly gentleman to the upper left of you, he shakes his head sadly.
Whoa! That is so spooky. Just ten minutes ago I was commenting to my spouse that we needed to pick up some change because we have no 10 Baht coins to make change and I'd thus used up most of our 5 Baht coins yesterday, making change.

And... we have a REFRIGERATOR!

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 20th January 2013 at 05:26 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 07:12 AM   #1373
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Coinbit!
Of course!
I was wondering about sinking the millions a Nigerian prince is gong to send me into coinbit.

Aren't you glad there are reliable witnesses to this psychic breakthrough?

Now there are four of us, I think?
Shall we get on with changing the world with our psychic powers or take the money and run?
Old 21st January 2013, 11:14 AM   #1374
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT-3U8EuVZ4

I finally have a good reason to post this.

------------------------------------------------
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
Nay_Sayer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2013, 04:33 AM   #1375
malicus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT-3U8EuVZ4

I finally have a good reason to post this.
Please don't get me started

Family Guy - Psychic!
malicus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2013, 04:17 AM   #1376
Femke

Aren't you glad there are reliable witnesses to this psychic breakthrough?
Hah! Take that, other psychics.
We from JETSKI (John Edward Thread Skeptic Clairvoyants Inc) are Credible, Documented and Proud of it!

Quote:
Now there are four of us, I think?
Shall we get on with changing the world with our psychic powers or take the money and run?
Nah, we are not in it for the money. That is the only thing we have in common with those fake psychics. We'll just want a modest percentage of every lottery prize we predicted correctly.

Old 23rd January 2013, 02:04 PM   #1377
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Have you noticed that generally speaking, lottery numbers somehow evade psychic powers?
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:04 PM   #1378
dafydd
Banned

Have you noticed that generally speaking, lottery numbers somehow evade psychic powers?
The plastic coverings on those ball-picking machines repel the psychic rays.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2013, 04:22 PM   #1379
Femke

No, no, you are missing the point. Every time I predicted them correctly, I was right!

I did not buy tickets, but that is nitpicking.

Old 12th June 2013, 08:36 AM   #1380
Fast Eddie B
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
And that does not even get into the issue of how broadly or narrowly you determine if X is a hit (the Mayflower incident is a perfect example).
"No, we weren't moving, but the one of the victim's name was "Flowers" and it happened in May!"

"No, we weren't moving, but I had just picked a bunch of mayflowers when I heard they had been shot!"

"No, we weren't moving, but the victims were Quakers - direct descendants of the pilgrims that came over on the Mayflower!"

...and so on...ad nauseum.

Classic cold reading.

Quote:
And let's remember what a huge hit this really is...
Huge hit? "Two people passed with a sudden impact. Might have been shot..."

"Might have been..." is the kind of fishing a cold reader does.

Classic cold reading.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 12th June 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 08:49 AM   #1381
DuvalHMFIC
Critical Thinker

Doesn't JE use the old "head and chest" technique as well? Where he claims he's saying pain in the chest or the head? Nevermind that the majority of deaths occur in the head and the chest. Another one of those things that you can make sound specific, but it's not.

My fiancee, a big psychic fan, was telling me of how she was stunned that a psychic knew about "a man in her life in a uniform." She had just broken up with a college baseball player.

I tried to point out to her that he didn't specify what TYPE of uniform. It could have been a sports uniform, military uniform, police officer, firefighter, a pilot, a welder, a wal-mart greeter...who doesn't know a man in a uniform? Yet she continually calls this an unbelievable hit.

What's even crazier, she told me she was stunned about how much the psychic knew about the ex boyfriend. For starters, the fact that he was an ex. To this day I'm certain that her response to "I see a man in your life in a uniform" was probably "yeah I dated a guy in a uniform" or even "I dated a baseball player." Yet she finds it crazy that the psychic knew that they were broken up...
Old 12th June 2013, 10:17 AM   #1382
greybeard
Thinker

Originally Posted by Robin1 View Post
The issue of John Edward sometimes appearing like he is cold reading has been brought up many times here as well as in the thread "Proof of Life After Death!!"
Robin I have replied to you about the Mayflower "hit" in the proof of life thread but it is awaiting moderation so I will briefly repeat it here.

a)In his blog Michael Prescott is only repeating what he seen in a tv programme and he says he is paraphrasing what was said.
b)Even if his blog reports accurately what was in the programme it is television made for entertainment. The programme is heavily edited. Like all such programmes it is edited to make it entertaining to increase their viewing figures. At least one audience member has claimed that editing has changed a miss into a hit.
c)Even if MP did accurately report what he saw and the clip was shown unedited that still doesn't prove JE gained the information from talking to dead people. There are many other ways he could have found out. For instance one audience member has claimed that JE employees listen in to conversations during the long period before the programme is recorded.

What I'm saying is that the information in Michael Prescott's blog can only be sited as proof if you set a very low bar for what you believe constitutes proof.
greybeard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 10:27 AM   #1383
Resume
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robin1 View Post
The issue of John Edward sometimes appearing like he is cold reading has been brought up many times here . . .
He appears to do that because that's what he's doing.

He's been shown to do that; you choose to ignore that and follow you bias.

That's it.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 01:25 PM   #1384
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Everyone is bringing up excellent points, but they have all been brought up before. Regarding interpreting a hit, I have specifically asked about the Mayflower thing before, too. What would be considered a miss for two people and sudden impact? What would be considered a miss regarding Mayflower? Apparently, not much.

Then there is a point I have not noticed until now. Robin claims two contradictory things simultaneously. First, JE can't tell us specific, meaningful phrases like "The secret banking account number is 12344" because he only gets impressions that must be interpreted. Second, she says JE knew of two friends who got shot on Mayflower Avenue. They cannot both be true.
Old 12th June 2013, 05:40 PM   #1385
Quinn
Breathtakingly blasphemous.

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
If the spirit could show a moving van in order to identify the street, why wouldn't the spirit just show a street sign?

And for that matter, if the spirit wanted to show a visual image to communicate the word "Mayflower," why would it choose a moving van rather than the much better-known and more easily-identifiable image of the Mayflower ship itself?
It's not a matter of living life without mystery or wonder. It's a matter of living life without the approval of people who ignorantly assume that by rejecting the irrational, I experience no mystery or wonder. And frankly, I do just fine without that.
Quinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 05:54 PM   #1386
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
When I saw "impact" and "Mayflower," the first thing I thought of was someone being hit by a Mayflower moving van -- not people being shot on Mayflower Street.

What counts as a hit? See my comment to Robin1 in the moderated thread:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.p...54#post9289054
Old 12th June 2013, 11:56 PM   #1387
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post

[snipped to address one particular point]

She can't. For one thing Edward refuses to allow his performances to be recorded. For another I can think of no way to calculate (2) reliably, and I doubt Robin will be able to either. This sort of investigation would be very difficult for even a trained scientist to do.

There is a much much easier way for a trained scientist (and Robin and everybody else) to find out if John Edward is genuine, but he refuses to do that (submit to testing in a controlled environment) as well.

Not only that, But a video of a call in show he did which he did not have control over the editing of, was on youtube, has now been taken down by J.E Media.

It is no coincidence that it exposed very brightly how broad and vague his "hits are"

This video however: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx0Jt2jnLOQ shows a rather embarrassing performance by John.

------------------------------------------------
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.

Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 12th June 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Nay_Sayer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2013, 05:58 AM   #1388
carlitos
"más divertido"

Shilling for John Edward makes me mad. Hey, undecided person with problems in your life, go give a con man hundreds of dollars to make you feel better. One would be better served buying booze with that money.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2013, 06:32 AM   #1389
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
You need to stop posting the highlighted as it is untrue. You continue to fall for the same trick over and over, then make excuses for your credulity.
Robin seems to be one of those people who assume that just because she knows what cold reading and confirmation bias are she is immune to them. Which is a bit like assuming that once you know what breathing entails you stop breathing.
Old 13th June 2013, 02:28 PM   #1390
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

I have posted how it does not reflect well on Robin for her to ignore/misrepresent posts about counter-arguments, e.g. the Prescott article.

It is more than that, though. When we show that Prescott contradicts himself repeatedly in two major ways:

1. He says you can't use an edited television show to judge John Edward but then Prescott does exactly that, and

2. His own admittedly imprecise transcript has JE saying "X" followed by the subject saying "Y", then Prescott asks how JE knew "Y"

Robin ignores it, repeatedly.

This is not really an inability to see truth. It is a refusal to do so. Robin does not address these things because she cannot address these things, and if she acknowledges that they even exist she will have to address their implication, i.e. that JE cannot really converse with the dead. Hence, she continues to ignore them.

As always, I could be wrong, but the evidence is more strongly in my favor than it is in favor of JE's authenticity.
Old 13th June 2013, 02:47 PM   #1391
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
Let's take that claim at face value and assume it's true, and that JE didn't somehow get that information surreptitiously. Given that, there are two possibilities:

1) A spirit told him.

2) He made a lucky guess.

How lucky is lucky? Let's say it's about a 1 in 1000 shot. But JE gives readings to thousands of people. If he takes a 1 in 1000 shot with all of them, he will hit with a few of them. And for those "lucky" few, everything about the experience will be 100% indistinguishable from how it would have been if the info had come from a spirit.

Given those conditions, the question becomes: How do you go about distinguishing which of those two possibilities is actually the case -- whether a spirit told him, or whether you're simply one of the lucky few?

Robin, you're obviously a bright and sincere person, and some things you've posted can be chalked up to a difference in values and opinions. I mention that so that you'll understand that I recognize and accept it when I say this: what you've said in the above quote is simply, empirically, objectively, verifiably wrong. It is the wrongest thing I have ever seen you post. It is as wrong as wrong can possibly be. It is so wrong that on a scale of 1 to wrong, you would need to recalibrate the boundaries in order to accurately depict just how deeply, utterly, agonizingly wrong it is. While people have said things that were equally wrong, no statement uttered by anyone has actually been more wrong than that one.

Put simply, if you think you can replace the mathematics of probability with common sense, then that shows that you don't know enough about either probabilities or common sense to make that proclamation, because no one who does would ever say such a thing. Anyone who looks into the subject with any amount of curiosity will quickly find many examples where common sense leads you to a conclusion that is perfectly reasonable, intuitive, unsurprising, and (yet again) 100% wrong.

The reason I point this out so emphatically is that it seems to be, while not the only factor, at least a major contributing factor in your belief. And if it turns out that one of the major contributing factors in your belief is entirely wrong, that's probably worth re-examining.
Quoting for Robin1. This is big. They built a small town called Las Vegas on the lack of people's common sense view vs statistics.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2013, 02:59 PM   #1392
dafydd
Banned

No, no, no. One must assume this else one is close-minded. Or one has not read all if Robin's blog, all of this thread, all of the moderated thread, and all of Dr. Alexander's book.
Thousands of years of no proof of the various heavens promised by various religions. Fake psychics ( sorry for the tautology) and Robin and Dr. Alexander's stories will not change the situation.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2013, 03:02 PM   #1393
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Thousands of years of no proof of the various heavens promised by various religions. Fake psychics ( sorry for the tautology) and Robin and Dr. Alexander's stories will not change the situation.
See? Close-minded.
Old 13th June 2013, 03:08 PM   #1394
dafydd
Banned

See? Close-minded.
Nope, open to evidence. That's what skepticism is, but Robin doesn't seem to understand this. The day that a psychic passes on a clear message from a murder victim that enables the police to catch the murderer is the day that I will believe. The spirits of the dead seem far more keen on passing on vague waffle via the psychic. If my late wife got in touch with me via a medium then I'm sure she would have more to say than commenting on my new oven.
Old 13th June 2013, 03:22 PM   #1395
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Nope, open to evidence. That's what skepticism is, but Robin doesn't seem to understand this. The day that a psychic passes on a clear message from a murder victim that enables the police to catch the murderer is the day that I will believe. The spirits of the dead seem far more keen on passing on vague waffle via the psychic. If my late wife got in touch with me via a medium then I'm sure she would have more to say than commenting on my new oven.
Did you read the thread? Before you say yes, make sure you have re-read it, too, along with Robin's blog including all the comments (even the ones that are contradictory as well as those that are irrelevant). The logic is irrefutable.

P.S. I know all about confirmation bias is so that won't help you. Plus I know that numbers get very large.

P.P.S. Apologies for the tone of this post. I am tired and trying to amuse myself.
Old 13th June 2013, 03:27 PM   #1396
dafydd
Banned

Robin, years ago when I lived in Wales I used to go to the local Spiritualist church. Once a month they would have a traveling medium. All cold readers, and all very good at it. They would go into a trance, supposedly, and throw things out. A couple of hits over the evening and they were a big hit with the believers. I used to smuggle a cassette recorder in and when listening to the tape it was obvious what was going on, but the faithful never noticed it. I was there one evening and the medium asked if there was anyone with a son. A son who's name began with M. Two hundred marks in the audience, a safe bet. I knew somebody called Mike at the time and his mother was there and she piped up. The medium said that Mike was in danger because she saw a hawk hovering over his head. Three months later Mike was in a van up in the wilds of the Brecon Beacons. The van overturned, nobody was seriously injured, just cuts and bruises. When a local garage recovered the van three days later there was a dead hawk lying nearby on the mountain. A hawk in the wilds of Wales, what are the chances of that? This was big news in the church. Mike sustained one bruise on his cheek during the accident. Deadly danger. Of course this was proof the medium's amazing powers, the misses of the evening were disregarded. You have to laugh.

Last edited by dafydd; 13th June 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 13th June 2013, 03:29 PM   #1397
dafydd
Banned

Did you read the thread? Before you say yes, make sure you have re-read it, too, along with Robin's blog including all the comments (even the ones that are contradictory as well as those that are irrelevant). The logic is irrefutable.

P.S. I know all about confirmation bias is so that won't help you. Plus I know that numbers get very large.

P.P.S. Apologies for the tone of this post. I am tired and trying to amuse myself.
I don't need any help. No need for an apology, no offense taken.
Old 13th June 2013, 04:02 PM   #1398
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

This thread has provided me an excellent excuse to re-watch one of the best Southpark episodes, ever.

By the way, the Nominate button is to your right left, sort of..
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2013, 09:41 PM   #1399
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Quoting for Robin1. This is big. They built a small town called Las Vegas on the lack of people's common sense view vs statistics.
A lot of statistical theory is counterintuitive. Apparently Robin's intuition is the single exception, being a more reliable guide to reality than the proven findings of a whole field of mathematics.
Old 14th June 2013, 07:49 AM   #1400
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
A lot of statistical theory is counterintuitive. Apparently Robin's intuition is the single exception, being a more reliable guide to reality than the proven findings of a whole field of mathematics.
Yup. She is also the only person who can judge an alleged medium's or psychic's genuineness based on common sense alone without fear of being wrong.

As I have said repeatedly, and I mean it seriously and exactly as I say it, Robin's entire argument boils down to her belief that she, and she alone, cannot be fooled.

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal