JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 2nd January 2011, 10:30 PM   #1
samanthakayee
Scholar

NuVet Labs dog and cat Tablets is it a scam?

I wonder if anyone has heard of or is familiar with this online company, NuVet Labs. They sell canine vitamins, but do not fully disclose their contents. I ask because I discovered many breeders that sell their puppies include the necessity to give your pup the vitamins under the health contract. The puppy owner then must order online and give a specific number (I assume that this identifies the breeder...and they then get a kickback). The vitamins are quite expensive. I have checked through the net and have only found one or two negative/suspicious listings...The rest gush over the product! I wonder if anyone knows of NuVet Labs and whether it is indeed a scam. Thanks!
samanthakayee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Sounds like a scam to me. Kickbacks to the breeders? How many is "many", anyway?
Gawdzilla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:24 PM   #3
ConspicuousCarl
Thinker

Instead of looking at this as "only" some suspicious ingredients, I would take the unnecessary ingredients as red flags. Shark cartilage? I think that's probably total BS, so these people are trying to sell stuff by including popular nutty supplements.

Also, anyone who uses the phrase "boosts the immune system" is engaging in hokey sales lingo. That phrase does not have a clear medical meaning.

Here's another quote:
"Blue Green Algae which is a very rich chlorophyll source
and has been shown to enhance the health of the entire body"

Really, the entire body is improved? From CHLOROPHYLL? Try again.

With that stuff in mind, there is no reason to assume that these hucksters have any special knowledge that makes their pet vitamins a better product than the many competing products. Some of those things are already included in pet foods because actual evidence shows them to be necessary for healthy animals. I think these NuVet people are just tossing in some standard useless "alternative" stuff to try to be different.

As with humans, it looks like a few things are necessary, and others may or may not be needed as determined by the animal's health. Wikipedia has a list of nutrients known to affect cat health, along with the symptoms related to too much or too little of each:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_foo..._and_functions

Note that shark cartilage and chlorophyll are not listed.
ConspicuousCarl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
I ask because I discovered many breeders that sell their puppies include the necessity to give your pup the vitamins under the health contract.

I wonder how many breeders would back down and scratch that from the contract if the buyer threatened to walk ?

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2011, 12:29 PM   #5
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ConspicuousCarl View Post
Really, the entire body is improved? From CHLOROPHYLL? Try again.
Give 'em enough chlorophyll and they'll start photosynthesizing, and you won't have to feed 'em.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2011, 12:34 PM   #6
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to see "all natural" come into the pet market in the way it has made inroads into the human market. Make me pledge to drag back some roadkill once a week and let the puppy nibble at some other canine's poo. This is the dedication I want from a new pet owner. Oh, and forget baths. Take them to a creek or something and let them get naturally clean.

After all, if it's all natural, it has to be good, right?

There's an argument for you. You don't think your dog should get chemically processed vitamin stuffs in some supplement when their body really needs the essential nutrients that only nature in the raw can provide. Use their own logic against them.

Last edited by marplots; 4th January 2011 at 12:36 PM.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2011, 12:55 PM   #7
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post

I wonder how many breeders would back down and scratch that from the contract if the buyer threatened to walk ?
And even if you sign the contract, how on earth is it enforced?

Scam.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Ranb
Philosopher

If the contract includes a warranty on the pup's health, then the buyer may have to prove that they are doing an adequate job of caring for it by buying their product. Reminds me of the warranties sold with tires. The warranty is no good unless you keep on paying the tire shop for tire rotations and other scheduled maintenance. Scam.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Emet
Illuminator

Originally Posted by samanthakayee View Post
I wonder if anyone has heard of or is familiar with this online company, NuVet Labs. They sell canine vitamins, but do not fully disclose their contents. I ask because I discovered many breeders that sell their puppies include the necessity to give your pup the vitamins under the health contract. The puppy owner then must order online and give a specific number (I assume that this identifies the breeder...and they then get a kickback). The vitamins are quite expensive. I have checked through the net and have only found one or two negative/suspicious listings...The rest gush over the product! I wonder if anyone knows of NuVet Labs and whether it is indeed a scam. Thanks!
[vet mode] Reputable breeders, in my experience, do not require you to purchase food or supplements. Ever.[/vet mode]

ETA: In the US, all commercial pet foods are nutritionally complete.

Last edited by Emet; 4th January 2011 at 03:04 PM.
Emet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2011, 07:34 PM   #10
samanthakayee
Scholar

I ended up getting a puppy from a different breeder that did not ask me to buy the pills. Thank you for all the info
samanthakayee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2011, 07:37 PM   #11
Emet
Illuminator

I ended up getting a puppy from a different breeder that did not ask me to buy the pills. Thank you for all the info
Sweet.

What did you get? How about starting a thread in the community sub-forum with poopie puppy pix of your new family member?

Last edited by Emet; 4th January 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Emet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2011, 01:32 PM   #12
bookitty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emet View Post
Sweet.

What did you get? How about starting a thread in the community sub-forum with poopie puppy pix of your new family member?
Bumping this thread for this excellent suggestion. We are, after all skeptics who need proof of this new puppy phenomenon.
Old 6th January 2011, 08:54 AM   #13
samanthakayee
Scholar

Giggles can do she is a year old so not a tiny puppy hehe
Old 6th January 2011, 09:56 AM   #14
Emet
Illuminator

Giggles can do she is a year old so not a tiny puppy hehe
No matter. I hope you will start a thread and upload some pix!
Old 1st October 2012, 04:00 PM   #15
LOVEmyPets
New Blood

Nuvet worked for Pepper my 10 yr old Lab

I am familiar with the product and can tell you from experience that it really works. I thought my dog was going to die. He had severe kidney problems -dark urine, wouldn't eat etc. Within a couple of days I could see an improvement afterhe started taking NuVet Plus. Within a week, he was running around like a
puppy .... and still is. He's a 10 year old lab mix and I've never seen him
look and feel better, especially in the last year or so. As far as I'm concerned it its helping, he'll take it for the rest of his life.

I was sorry to hear about the so-called NuVet scam. Sounds like sour grapes
to me. Whatever the NuVet product is, it works!
LOVEmyPets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2012, 07:05 PM   #16
bellalisa
Student

Sounds like you sell them.
bellalisa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2012, 10:28 PM   #17
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Oh, and forget baths. Take them to a creek or something and let them get naturally clean.
You make that sound like a bad thing.
None of my 4 dogs has ever had a bath, and none of them get into water unless by a serious mistake on their part.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:40 AM   #18
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LOVEmyPets View Post
Then you obviously don't understand what the actual issue is.

I don't think anyone is saying it doesn't work.
If someone sells vitamin supplements with added ground unicorn horn for it's higher consciousness inducing properties, it's still a scam regardless of how well the vitamins work.

However, vitamin supplements are only necessary and will only have any affect if the animal is already suffering from a vitamin deficiency... Which would of course usually mean, the animal wasn't being fed correctly.
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:55 AM   #19
Naddig74
Has a Rucksack

I am familiar with the product and can tell you from experience that it really works. I thought my dog was going to die. He had severe kidney problems -dark urine, wouldn't eat etc. Within a couple of days I could see an improvement afterhe started taking NuVet Plus. Within a week, he was running around like a
look and feel better, especially in the last year or so. As far as I'm concerned it its helping, he'll take it for the rest of his life.

You are employed by the makers of this stuff to search for negative references to their product and refute them with this anecdotal irrelevance. I think valium will probably help with the sleepless nights.
Old 2nd October 2012, 05:45 AM   #20
bellalisa
Student

Originally Posted by Naddig74 View Post
You are employed by the makers of this stuff to search for negative references to their product and refute them with this anecdotal irrelevance. I think valium will probably help with the sleepless nights.
Yes, I thought the same thing.

If this really turned old dogs into puppies it would be front page news all over the world. Like on facebook yesterday someone posted a fruit juice that "kills cancer" - if it did kill cancer I'm sure we would ALL know about it.
bellalisa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:56 AM   #21
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

I met with quite a few breeders before getting our dog (a 7 year old Shiba Inu). The strictest I ever heard from any of them was advice on what kind of food the dog was used to eating. My vet has never said anything about extra vitamins for the dog and in fact seems very devoted to not giving your dog anything you don't have to.

I just hope that this is a harmless scam. I'd hate to think that these people were prescribing overdoses of vitamins that can be harmful to the dog's kidneys.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:56 AM   #22
richardm
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bellalisa View Post

If this really turned old dogs into puppies it would be front page news all over the world. Like on facebook yesterday someone posted a fruit juice that "kills cancer" - if it did kill cancer I'm sure we would ALL know about it.
Yeah. Thing is it's really easy for shills to just start wittering about "Big Pharma" sweeping in and shutting things down as a reason why "simple, natural" things don't catch on and change the world. And for some reason this argument seems to sit comfortably with an awful lot of people.

Actually they don't even need to be shills; there are a lot of people who are true believers in various products but who don't seem to have any financial motive. I agree that LOVEmyPets does sound a bit scripted though. It even looks like it's been cut-and-pasted from somewhere else.
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:22 AM   #23
bellalisa
Student

yeah looks that way!
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:44 AM   #24
CynicalSkeptic
Graduate Poster

You are employed by the makers of this stuff to search for negative references to their product and refute them with this anecdotal irrelevance.
And it only took him/her a year and a half to find it. Impressive.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:49 AM   #25
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

This seems likely.This thread is now the first hit when searching for 'NuVet scam'. Interestingly a little research (web and email) indicated that:
1. amongst the fancy NuVet is almost universally considered a scam
2. they kick-back to dog sellers who include the "vitamin" requirement in sales contracts
3. recently criticism of NuVet on web fora has attracted a number of suspiciously similarly worded defenses
4. vet opinion is that they're worthless when a dog receives a proper diet
5. breeders including the NuVet requirement are often considered of questionable reputation
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:46 AM   #26
CynicalSkeptic
Graduate Poster

amongst the fancy?
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:51 PM   #27
Naddig74
Has a Rucksack

Yes. And it would have saved my dad from having a second large chunk chopped out of his face today.

I was vaguely impressed that LOVEmypets was committed enough to her deception (don't know why I've assumed she's female) to actually post a couple of replies in other threads. Her failure to reappear in this one speaks volumes.
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:54 AM   #28
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
amongst the fancy?
Sorry, a term I picked up from some USAian friends who show dogs, aare involved in the AKC and general canine related activities.

I was vaguely impressed that LOVEmypets was committed enough to her deception (don't know why I've assumed she's female) to actually post a couple of replies in other threads. Her failure to reappear in this one speaks volumes.
S/he seems to have pasted the same claims at a number of other sites recently, all in response to criticism of NuVet.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:10 AM   #29
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Sounds like you sell them.
Ya think? Sounds like searching Google for NuVet also turns up forums to respond to after the first page of seller hits.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:40 AM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Weak Kitten View Post
I met with quite a few breeders before getting our dog (a 7 year old Shiba Inu). The strictest I ever heard from any of them was advice on what kind of food the dog was used to eating. ....
The vet I saw when I got my puppies recommended Royal Canin. And when the melamine scandal broke, turns out I'd been feeding them melamine in their food.

Now there's continuing problems with pet food out of China, not just with melamine but also more toxic diethylene glycol. Chicken jerky treats from China producers has been implicated in dog deaths.

FDA warning

FDA report reveals 3 worst offenders in chicken jerky poisoning cases
Quote:
Waggin’ Train (Nestle Purina)
Canyon Creek Ranch (Nestle Purina)
Milo’s Kitchen Home-style Dog Treats (Del Monte)
I try to do my own research now. The frustrating part is avoiding anything from China, seems they have the pet food market almost sewed up.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd October 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:42 AM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

I wonder if the FDA would be willing to analyze any of the supplements?
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:58 AM   #32
CynicalSkeptic
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The frustrating part is avoiding anything from China, seems they have the pet food market almost sewed up.
http://www.midamericapetfood.com/

Quote:
We are one of the few family owned and operated pet food manufacturing plants in the United States.
The problem is finding a retailer. The price is actually not bad (at the places I've found it).

Another one that is reasonably priced and equally difficult to find.
http://www.propactt.com/
Quote:
Today, Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. owns and operates three state-of-the-art, high capacity dry pet food production and packing facilities, one of which is located at company headquarters in Evansville, Indiana, one in Chickasha, Oklahoma and Wells Pet Food Company, a division of Midwestern Pet Foods, in Monmouth, Illinois USA.

Last edited by CynicalSkeptic; 3rd October 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:27 PM   #33
bellalisa
Student

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
amongst the fancy?
Toy poodles!
Old 25th August 2013, 08:31 PM   #34
jasonrh2006
New Blood

We breed and show Bernese Mountain Dogs we have our dogs on this product and it really has made a difference in some of them. the main difference i have seen is they dont blow there coats as much and we have not seen any hot spots. We do offer it to customers but it is absolutely not required. the commission really doesnt amount to very much. we give our customers our customer ID number and tell them what its for and tell them they can give it to them if they want to but they dont have to..
jasonrh2006 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2013, 08:57 PM   #35
Ranb
Philosopher

Welcome to the forum. Why do you think it was NuVet that did it if it only made a difference in some of them?

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 25th August 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2013, 01:11 AM   #36
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

NuVet

Originally Posted by richardm View Post
Yeah. Thing is it's really easy for shills to just start wittering about "Big Pharma" sweeping in and shutting things down as a reason why "simple, natural" things don't catch on and change the world. And for some reason this argument seems to sit comfortably with an awful lot of people.

Actually they don't even need to be shills; there are a lot of people who are true believers in various products but who don't seem to have any financial motive. I agree that LOVEmyPets does sound a bit scripted though. It even looks like it's been cut-and-pasted from somewhere else.
Well spotted, richardm.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2013, 01:52 AM   #37
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Being a mammal myself, I started taking NuVet vitamins for their health benefits. I was amazed at the difference they made!

At only $107 for 180 wafers, that amount lasts a month (I take more because of my weight). I've noticed a definite lessening of disposable income and have almost entirely quit playing the lottery.

Don't waste these things on your pet. Not when you can enjoy the benefits for yourself.

marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2013, 02:35 AM   #38
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

Being a mammal myself, I started taking NuVet vitamins for their health benefits. I was amazed at the difference they made!

At only $107 for 180 wafers, that amount lasts a month (I take more because of my weight). I've noticed a definite lessening of disposable income and have almost entirely quit playing the lottery.

Don't waste these things on your pet. Not when you can enjoy the benefits for yourself.

Oh my God, it really is $107 for 180 of them. Jeeeeesus, what a ripoff. You can get 100 Hartz® Precision Nutrition™Adult Dog Multivitamins* for less than $20. My dog learned how to play piano and started retrieving meteorites after only a week of taking Hartz® Precision Nutrition™Adult Dog Multivitamins*.

*I don't work for Hartz. No really, I swear. YMMV, your dog may not learn piano or retrieve meteorites after consuming Hartz vitamins because my dog is special.
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2013, 03:18 AM   #39
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I'm not big on giving vitamins to dogs. I prefer to let them gorge on foodstuffs of their own choosing.

Lately, my Great Dane has been enjoying a diet of eagles, DVD cases, and expensive carpeting. While this might seem controversial, I think it's an improvement over a breakfast of my neighbor's cat and toilet water.
Old 26th August 2013, 04:26 AM   #40
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Yeah, I'm not big on giving vitamins to dogs. I prefer to let them gorge on foodstuffs of their own choosing.

Lately, my Great Dane has been enjoying a diet of eagles, DVD cases, and expensive carpeting. While this might seem controversial, I think it's an improvement over a breakfast of my neighbor's cat and toilet water.
I read that as "enjoying a diet of Eagles DVD cases" and thought, "You go, Marmaduke!"

Skeptvet (I think there's going to be a Skep-Everything sooner rather than later) takes NuVet apart pretty nicely....

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2012/01/nuv...old-snake-oil/

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal