JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 23rd February 2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Agaric
Scholar

Why does the left in the U.S. continue to put up with right wing insanity?

The U.S. used to be a country that other countries looked up to.

In the 60's you brought in lots of progressive, thoughtful, helpful ideas and laws but in the past several decades the U.S. has slide more and more into garbage and all while mostly in control by conservative government.

We dont need to turn this into a left v.s. right, we should all know here that the right has become insane in the U.S., worried more about gay sex then the strength of the middle class, worried more about pot smoke then the debt of the people, concerned about a perceived lack of christianity instead of debating whether multi billionaires deserve massive tax cuts.

So we (the left) know we represent the truth, so why do we allow the right wing to dominate the U.S. ?

What will it take for americans to stand up and stop this?

Spare me the links to the WI protests, those are puny compared to the effort needed to change things and spare me the "well thats why we elected Obama", because if you thought Obama was the answer you were never paying enough attention to american politics.

When will the U.S. return to the left/sanity ?
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Originally Posted by Agaric View Post
When will the U.S. return to... sanity ?
When people stop "taking sides", letting political parties think for them and get rid of the "us/them" and "right/left" nonsense altogether.

"...untrustworthy obnoxious twerp." - CFLarsen
Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:42 AM   #3
C_Felix
Graduate Poster

When will the US return to sanity?

A few answers:
1) Never.
2) Caveat to #1: When Hannity, Rush, Olberman and those of that ilk go away.
3) Caveat to #1: For about three weeks after the next 9/11 happens.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:25 AM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The left is not putting up with it;the left seems unable to get it message across to the "average" voter. Until the left learns to get it message across it will continue to fail.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Rogue1stclass
Muse

For the same reason the Right puts up with the Left, because neither side really has a choice.

And, btw, the 1960s were a terrible time in American politics.
Rogue1stclass is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Agaric
Scholar

Originally Posted by Piscivore View Post
When people stop "taking sides", letting political parties think for them and get rid of the "us/them" and "right/left" nonsense altogether.
You say that like political leanings are relative, they arent.

Granted the democratic party stinks but its still worlds better than any republican.

I am talking about left/right, the left is the side that has the facts, intelligence, compassion and world view, the right is the side that embraces ignorance, selfishness and isolationism.

One side is correct, the other side is wrong, the left is better, no matter how you slice it.

Another example is creationism, one side believes in science, the other side believes in religion, some liberals believe that the answer is a compromise, this is crazy. Creationism is bull__t and evolution is reality/fact.

We need to stop being to relative about facts.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Agaric
Scholar

Originally Posted by Rogue1stclass View Post
For the same reason the Right puts up with the Left, because neither side really has a choice.

And, btw, the 1960s were a terrible time in American politics.
Terrible for whom?

The 60s had lots of protests (healthy for democracies, sadly lacking today), the 60s brought in positive change for blacks and gays and minorities.

Sadly most of the beatniks and hippies sold out their ideals later in life, the world would be a better place is we had more intelligent, compassionate people.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

So we (the left) know we represent the truth, so why do we allow the right wing to dominate the U.S. ?
So the short form of your post is basically just:

"It's stupid to disagree with me. So why do people disagree with me?"

Quote:
Spare me the links to the WI protests
Spare me your pompous indignation and content-free preening.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Yes they are. For the most part, they are dictated by the values one learns growing up.

Quote:
Granted the democratic party stinks but its still worlds better than any republican.

I am talking about left/right, the left is the side that has the facts, intelligence, compassion and world view, the right is the side that embraces ignorance, selfishness and isolationism.

One side is correct, the other side is wrong, the left is better, no matter how you slice it.
This is why you fail.

There are smart people with facts, intelligence, and compassion on all sides of every dichotomy, and there are stupid, emotional, selfish, uninformed ideologues on all sides too.

Quote:
We need to stop being tribal about them as well.

Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

...the world would be a better place is we had more intelligent, compassionate people.
Intelligent, compassionate people that label those that disagree with them "insane"?

Those kinds of people?

Old 23rd February 2011, 10:43 AM   #11
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

The U.S. used to be a country that other countries looked up to.

In the 60's you brought in lots of progressive, thoughtful, helpful ideas and laws but in the past several decades the U.S. has slide more and more into garbage and all while mostly in control by conservative government.

We dont need to turn this into a left v.s. right, we should all know here that the right has become insane in the U.S., worried more about gay sex then the strength of the middle class, worried more about pot smoke then the debt of the people, concerned about a perceived lack of christianity instead of debating whether multi billionaires deserve massive tax cuts.

What will it take for americans to stand up and stop this?

Spare me the links to the WI protests, those are puny compared to the effort needed to change things and spare me the "well thats why we elected Obama", because if you thought Obama was the answer you were never paying enough attention to american politics.

When will the U.S. return to the left/sanity ?

Congratulations on making an entire thread that is grist for the "see, the left does it too" mill. Here's a hint (and I'm speaking as a pretty hard-left liberal, at least by American standards): a pure left or pure left country wouldn't work very well. I get upset by prominent democrats allowing their message to be dominated too, but I don't think that my ideology is infallible or "the truth." There's a hell of a lot of grey areas in politics simply because there isn't a single right answer. With a lot of issues, no matter how you approach the problem, someone is going to get the short end of the stick.

Learn to listen to people, even ones you disagree with. If nothing else, you'll learn something about your own opinions. You can feel free to point out ridiculous things (like that "uterus police" bill in another thread) as ridiculous, but just saying "the right/left = insane" isn't going to accomplish a thing.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:03 AM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Another example is creationism, one side believes in science, the other side believes in religion, some liberals believe that the answer is a compromise, this is crazy. Creationism is bull__t and evolution is reality/fact.

A.Quite a few people are conservative on Economic issues, but think creationism is stupid.;plenty of them post here...and quite a few people on the left buy into a lot of the New Age crap which is just as bad as creationsim. Just check out what passes for Science on the Huffington times for proof of that.
It must be really easy to see the entire world in black and white terms.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:19 AM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm sorry, I missed the part where it was demonstrated that only America has right wing insanity. Could you give us a list of countries that do not have right wing insanity? Perhaps the problem isn't a peculiarly American one.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Almo
Masterblazer

One of the core values of the left is tolerance.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:52 AM   #15
Virus
NWO Inquisitor

The left do plenty of idiotic stuff. Don't think that the right are hogging up all the stupid.
Virus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:06 PM   #16
Agaric
Scholar

I hear you guys but lets get down to the bottom line here ...

Your country is anti-union, your middle class is terrible and shrinking fast, the rich are richer then they have ever been while your poor are growing in numbers, your country is anti-gay marriage, your country is (i think) the most religion western country in the world, you have free speech zones, your people are wire tapped, your people love guns, your ppl love prisons, your ppl hate marijuana, your state KILLS criminals and thats legal!!! you cause wars arouind the world and butcher millions ... do i need to go on?

So when will the LEFT (lets not muck around, its like the simpsons episode said "FOX NEWS, not racist, just number 1 with racists!"), take the reigns and guide your country back to a BETTER place?
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:08 PM   #17
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

I'd rather take it forward to a better place, but that's just me.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:10 PM   #18
Agaric
Scholar

Originally Posted by Virus View Post
The left do plenty of idiotic stuff. Don't think that the right are hogging up all the stupid.
So because the left screw up 1 out of 10 times and the right screw up 8 out of 10 times thats the same thing?
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:10 PM   #19
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
So, you are saying that Democrats who were mostly in control of congress over the past several decades were conservative, is that correct?
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance-- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." --Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:11 PM   #20
Agaric
Scholar

Originally Posted by A Laughing Baby View Post
I'd rather take it forward to a better place, but that's just me.
the grave?
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:16 PM   #21
Agaric
Scholar

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
So, you are saying that Democrats who were mostly in control of congress over the past several decades were conservative, is that correct?
What makes u think im talking about democrats at all?
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:16 PM   #22
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

the grave?
Well no, that's a rather nihilistic view. I just think that any time you talk about taking our country back, you're perhaps viewing the past in a somewhat nostalgic light. There are problems with America. Deep, systemic problems. There is simply no denying that. However, I think that alienating my ideological opponents as unconditionally mentally ill or evil is at once overzealous and somewhat naive.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:19 PM   #23
Dumb All Over

Because in today's politics Democrats are generally associated with being liberal while Republicans are generally associated with being conservative.

Who were you talking about?
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance-- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." --Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:21 PM   #24
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

So when will the LEFT (lets not muck around, its like the simpsons episode said "FOX NEWS, not racist, just number 1 with racists!"), take the reigns and guide your country back to a BETTER place?
Oddly, in the U.S.' system, it's not actually up to the "LEFT" to decide when they want to take the reigns.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:22 PM   #25
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The left is not putting up with it;the left seems unable to get it message across to the "average" voter. Until the left learns to get it message across it will continue to fail.
George Will's theory is that the left's message has indeed gotten out to the average voter, been considered, and been soundly rejected.

I subscribe to that theory, encouraging the lefties around here to shout loudly and proudly exactly what they want to do. It doesn't make many friends.

Originally Posted by George F. Will
For a century, the left has largely failed to enact its agenda for redistributing wealth. What the left has achieved is a rich literature of disappointment, explaining the mystery, as the left sees it, of why most Americans are impervious to the left's appeal.

An interesting addition to this canon is "What's the Matter With Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America." Its author, Thomas Frank, argues that his native Kansas -- like the nation, only more so -- votes self-destructively, meaning conservatively, because social issues such as abortion distract it from economic self-interest, as the left understands that.

He says the left has been battered by "the Great Backlash" of people of modest means against their obvious benefactor and wise definer of their interests, the Democratic Party. The cultural backlash has been, he believes, craftily manufactured by rich people with the only motives the left understands -- money motives. The aim of the rich is to manipulate people of modest means, making them angry about abortion and other social issues so that they will vote for Republicans who will cut taxes on the rich.

The erroneous assumption by the left, in that book, and this thread, is that your kind hearts and and the memetic narratives in your head telling you the rich are evil are disproven by the overflowing shelves of stuff around you. No, not evidence against, or evidence you can rationalize away -- disproven. Rejected. CYA. thxbie.

That's "bye" as in "bye bye!" Of course, if the lefties around here want to stick around shooting off their theories and plans, well, please do. Loudly and proudly! Let everyone know exactly what you want to do, and why.

Don't be shy!

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 23rd February 2011 at 12:31 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:26 PM   #26
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I hear you guys
I don't think you do.

Quote:
Your country is anti-union
Not really.

Quote:
your middle class is terrible and shrinking fast
Not really.

Quote:
the rich are richer then they have ever been
Not really.

Quote:
while your poor are growing in numbers
Well, we could stop that easily enough: just halt immigration.

Why do you hate immigrants?

Quote:
your country is anti-gay marriage
So is most of the world.

Quote:
your country is (i think) the most religion western country in the world
Oh noes!!!!

Quote:
you have free speech zones
I doubt you have a clue what that means, or about how well-protected speech is in the United States, especially compared to, well, pretty much everywhere else.

Quote:
your people are wire tapped
I doubt you know the truth about that either. And I mean both what the US government does and what other government do.

Quote:
your people love guns
Oh noes!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
your ppl love prisons
Not so much.

Quote:
your ppl hate marijuana
Marijuana is illegal in most of the world. And this is an issue precisely because a lot of Americans don't hate marijuana. If we hated it, we wouldn't use it.

Quote:
your state KILLS criminals and thats legal!!!
Yeah, executing people who do stuff like this is just oh so mean of us.

Bite me.

Quote:
you cause wars arouind the world and butcher millions
Yeah, not so much.

Quote:
do i need to go on?
No, no need. You've done plenty to self-identify as ignorant and narcissistic.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:34 PM   #27
respect
Illuminator

You could have saved some time and wrote, "everyone who doesn't agree with me is a doody head."
respect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:38 PM   #28
respect
Illuminator

the right is the side that embraces...isolationism.
you cause wars arouind the world and butcher millions
Interesting, the right is to be criticized for being isolationists who interfere with other countries?

Perhaps your problem is that you don't know what the words you are using mean, especially "fact".
respect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:47 PM   #29
Chaos
TAM Chocolate Dispenser

What, indeed. By the standards of evers other country, the Democrats are right wing... the Republicans are merely even more right wing.
Folks enjoy a witch-hunt as long as they are on the blunt end of the pitchfork. - Suezoled
You can't use logic to talk a man out of a position that he didn't use logic to get himself into - passed down by Nyarlathotep
Kids these days are better than their parents since they constitute the newest edition, the beta version of our societies - Cleopatra
You´ll have to accept the fact that some people are just plain nuts. - Paul C. Anagnostopolous
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:54 PM   #30
Dumb All Over

Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
What, indeed. By the standards of evers other country, the Democrats are right wing... the Republicans are merely even more right wing.
Every other country? Really?
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:56 PM   #31
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

Dude, even the Taliban thinks Democrats are conservative. Get with the times.
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:00 PM   #32
Dumb All Over

Dude, even the Taliban thinks Democrats are conservative.
I would bet they don't think that at all.

(I really must get with the times, dude.)

Last edited by Dumb All Over; 23rd February 2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:04 PM   #33
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

I would bet they don't think that at all.
Nope. America is literally farther right than a theocratic regime which commits public executions.

I was agreeing with the poster making fun of his choice of definite articles in his rant. I don't actually think that Democrats are farther right than the Taliban. Come on now.
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:08 PM   #34
Agaric
Scholar

Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Yup ...
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:13 PM   #35
Agaric
Scholar

Originally Posted by respect View Post
Interesting, the right is to be criticized for being isolationists who interfere with other countries?

Perhaps your problem is that you don't know what the words you are using mean, especially "fact".
So someone cant be anti-immigrant while being pro war? Odd but thats a helluva lot of yanks ...
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:19 PM   #36
YoPopa
Graduate Poster

Congratulations on making an entire thread that is grist for the "see, the left does it too" mill. Here's a hint (and I'm speaking as a pretty hard-left liberal, at least by American standards): a pure left or pure left country wouldn't work very well. I get upset by prominent democrats allowing their message to be dominated too, but I don't think that my ideology is infallible or "the truth." There's a hell of a lot of grey areas in politics simply because there isn't a single right answer. With a lot of issues, no matter how you approach the problem, someone is going to get the short end of the stick.

Learn to listen to people, even ones you disagree with. If nothing else, you'll learn something about your own opinions. You can feel free to point out ridiculous things (like that "uterus police" bill in another thread) as ridiculous, but just saying "the right/left = insane" isn't going to accomplish a thing.
This. Just change "a pretty hard-left liberal" to hard right conservative and it speaks for me very well. LB is the kind of thinking person that is worth reading and having a conversation with. Agaric not so much. If this OP is typical of Agaric's thinking I'll soon have another on ignore. Life is too short to be annoyed with such puerile nonsense.

Last edited by YoPopa; 23rd February 2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: grammer
YoPopa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:19 PM   #37
respect
Illuminator

So someone cant be anti-immigrant while being pro war? Odd but thats a helluva lot of yanks ...
Isolationism

: a policy of national isolation by abstention from alliances and other international political and economic relations

Going to war is straying as far from isolationism as you can get. Like I said, you don't know what the words you are using mean.
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:23 PM   #38
Dumb All Over

Nope. America is literally farther right than a theocratic regime which commits public executions.

I was agreeing with the poster making fun of his choice of definite articles in his rant. I don't actually think that Democrats are farther right than the Taliban. Come on now.
I believe that is what you think, not what the Taliban thinks.

ETA- Oops! Only after quoting you did I see the cryptic message. Lol! Well done. (Yes, I am Mr. Gullible.)

Last edited by Dumb All Over; 23rd February 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:25 PM   #39
Pardalis
Banned

So we (the left) know we represent the truth
Are you freaking serious?
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:27 PM   #40
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

I believe that is what you think, not what the Taliban thinks.
Do I really need to make it any clearer? I don't believe that statement or anything resembling that statement. I was just riffing off the earlier post poking fun at the use of the words "every other country." Democrats may be farther right than, say, labor party members in a European Union country, but they're not even close to the right in other countries, say, Myanmar or Sudan. I even make it clear in the text you quoted, the tiny white text that wasn't tiny or white when you wrote the post I'm quoting. Do you really think there's any person out there with an opinion that's somewhat coherent that actually thinks Democrats are farther right than the Taliban? Really?

edit: Just saw your edit. I'm leaving this here anyway for anyone who missed that. No worries, as long as you don't think I actually support the Taliban over Democrats

JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics