JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags linux

Old 13th April 2011, 08:52 AM   #161
tuoni
Thinker

Originally Posted by Mister Earl View Post
Crud. I think I'm gonna need to divine what the su password is supposed to be. Got this error:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1
rm: cannot remove `/boot/grub/915resolution.mod': Permission denied
sorry, that should be

sudo grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1
!M-- !V-- PS+ PE++ Y++>$ PGP+++ t- 5- X++ R* tv- b++ DI++ D++ G+ e++
h++(-) r y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
tuoni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 08:55 AM   #162
Mister Earl
Illuminator

root@ubuntu:~# sudo grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).

Seems like it really doesn't want to cooperate.

Last edited by Mister Earl; 13th April 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 09:06 AM   #163
tuoni
Thinker

root@ubuntu:~# sudo grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).

Seems like it really doesn't want to cooperate.
What about

sudo grub-install hd0

I'm starting to guess now.
h++(-) r y+

Last edited by tuoni; 13th April 2011 at 09:08 AM.
tuoni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 09:07 AM   #164
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Same error. Yeah, I don't blame you. I ran out of ideas long ago. I've got about fifteen tabs open on various sites trying to figure this out, and I'm at the guessing point, too.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 09:13 AM   #165
tuoni
Thinker

And here, dear traveller, is just the start of your fun with *nix.

:grin:
h++(-) r y+
Old 13th April 2011, 09:15 AM   #166
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Yeah, but if I don't give up and actually get it working, I can almost guarantee it'll be less frustrating then the problems I get from windows.
Old 13th April 2011, 09:23 AM   #167
Mister Earl
Illuminator

BAH! Most of the guides I'm seeing tell me to "sudo fdisk -l" but I get "Unable to seek on /dev/sda". It always comes down to that. It's like i'm going in circles.
Old 13th April 2011, 10:31 AM   #168
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Nobody else have any ideas? I registered and posted at the Ubuntu forums. Must not be a lot of people there, nobody is responding. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope.
Old 13th April 2011, 11:24 AM   #169
Xero
Thinker

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
Havent gamed on linux for a while but at one point half Life and UnReal Tournbament played very well under wine as did some others, one game however blew the hell out of my x server, so hopefully things have improved since then.
Unreal Tournament can be installed natively, there is an installer for it, no need for wine. Installers for all versions up to 2004 version. Not for latest release tho.
Xero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 01:56 PM   #170
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Nobody else have any ideas? I registered and posted at the Ubuntu forums. Must not be a lot of people there, nobody is responding. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope.

I'm following along here and I don't mean to sound snarky, so apologies!

Maybe you can try another distro other than Ubuntu?

Or maybe unplug a drive so there's no RAID issues complicating matters during install, then, if all goes well, try and do a RAID setup.
Old 13th April 2011, 06:45 PM   #171
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Got my heart sent on ubuntu for the most part. Getting another distro would require reinstalling windows, then reinstalling drivers, getting another disc burned, then back to square one.

But tonight when I get back to the house, the first thing I'm going to do is figure out how to un-raid things. I'd actually prefer it un-raided. Just gotta find where in the bios to un-raid things.
Old 13th April 2011, 07:14 PM   #172
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Got my heart sent on ubuntu for the most part.
http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Code:
Linux Mint ReleasesVersion 	Codename 	Package base 	Status 
10	Julia	Ubuntu Maverick	Supported until April 2012.
9	Isadora	Lucid Lynx	Long term support release (LTS), supported until April 2013.
8	Helena	Ubuntu Karmic	Supported until April 2011.

Quote:
Getting another distro would require reinstalling windows, then reinstalling drivers, getting another disc burned, then back to square one.

Ah, okay.

Quote:
But tonight when I get back to the house, the first thing I'm going to do is figure out how to un-raid things. I'd actually prefer it un-raided. Just gotta find where in the bios to un-raid things.

Hopefully that will solve this dilemma!
Old 13th April 2011, 07:22 PM   #173
Mister Earl
Illuminator

No kidding. I'm that eager to slough off windows once and for all.

... and running ubuntu from the live CD! Back with Windows, even the desktop would case my internal fan to start humming, though it wouldn't scream away unless I was gaming with something graphic intensive. The live CD for ubuntu? I'm not sure if the fan's even ON. And the case remains quite cool. I like it already!
Old 14th April 2011, 12:05 AM   #174
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Good news of a sort! I've made much progress! The install works now! I can now boot from the hard disk with no recovery prompt! The last bug preventing me from a HD boot to desktop is the black screen. No problem, I know to use nomodeset. Problem is, I can't get to any kind of options to make that change before it hits the desktop. I kid you not, my m17x blows through that part so fast I can't do it.

So, I'm on live CD again. Can someone walk me through making the change from here? I'd appreciate it!
Old 14th April 2011, 12:30 AM   #175
Mister Earl
Illuminator

... aaaand, nevermind! I've succeeded. (Held shift!)

So here I am. Booted from the hard disk straight to Ubuntu desktop for the first time EVER. Victory tastes sweet.

But of course, while the battle may be won, the war is not yet over. Time to install drivers!

#EDIT: Bah. Vid drivers not working... I'm running an X server it says. No idea what that means.

Last edited by Mister Earl; 14th April 2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:57 AM   #176
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Hey, congrats on your continued success!

The X server is the way Linux presents a graphical interface -- like a webserver, the X server "serves" you the graphical desktop even though it's on the same machine.

If you're trying to install NVidia drivers, you'll first have to quit the X server and do the install on the command line, then restart X.

If you need help with that, tomorrow, I can dig out my directions for ya, or maybe someone else can post it in the interim.

Last edited by The Norseman; 14th April 2011 at 12:59 AM.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2011, 01:11 AM   #177
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Already made progress there hehe. CTRL-ALT-F1 to drop to prompt. F7 to return.

The problem I'm currently on is the system doesn't seem to see my monitor attached to my laptop. It does see my card correctly, and I can get the resolutions I expect. The monitor is my curse right now heh.
Old 14th April 2011, 01:33 AM   #178
Mister Earl
Illuminator

And now CTRL-ALT-F1 fails to dump me into a prompt. *headdesk*
I get a basic text screen like it should, but it never gives me a prompt. And CTRL-ALT-F7 won't bring up the X server anymore either.

One step forward, two steps back.
Old 14th April 2011, 01:37 AM   #179
Captain_Snort
Muse

Holds on, no need to leave X, you should have a wee alert in the system bar telling you restricted drivers are available, this will install the nvidia drivers for your, maybe wifi as well. No need to drop out of X.

Once you have reconfigured /etc/X11/xorg.conf (the restricted package should do this anyway) you need to restart X, probably easy to reboot.

The /etc directory is analogous to the windows registry, except it is largely in plain language.
Old 14th April 2011, 01:38 AM   #180
Captain_Snort
Muse

And now CTRL-ALT-F1 fails to dump me into a prompt. *headdesk*
I get a basic text screen like it should, but it never gives me a prompt. And CTRL-ALT-F7 won't bring up the X server anymore either.

One step forward, two steps back.
from the prompt, try just alt-f7, no need for the ctrl
Old 14th April 2011, 11:21 AM   #181
Mister Earl
Illuminator

I got the graphics drivers in, and they appear to be working. Two issues remain, however.

The m17x actually has three graphics GPUs. First, the onboard "power saver" chipset, which it is using now. Then, the dual 280Ms in SLI mode that it sees but isn't using, and I can't seen to enable it.

Last issue, if I enable the monitor, both screens go black.
Old 14th April 2011, 05:58 PM   #182
Alan
Illuminator

Some people from the internet on another forum are ridiculing me for using Linux when I had some trouble with the current Humble Bundle.

Quote:
yeah unless you're one of the like 10 people in the world who have a legitimate professional need to use linux, then what are you even doing. Totally your own fault.
aarglefarg
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2011, 06:25 PM   #183
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Heh. I've got posts on six different forums looking for help, and since this morning, none of them have any replies.
Old 14th April 2011, 08:05 PM   #184
Alan
Illuminator

I don't know much about the specific hardware things. I've never had these problems.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2011, 09:53 PM   #185
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Hrm. I got some instruction how to fix the graphics end of things, but I need to be able to ctrl-alt-F1 to exit out of X server and get to prompt. But when I do it, it blackscreens on me, though I can alt-F7 to get back to X server. That's the puzzle I work on now.
Old 15th April 2011, 07:33 AM   #186
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

Hrm. I got some instruction how to fix the graphics end of things, but I need to be able to ctrl-alt-F1 to exit out of X server and get to prompt. But when I do it, it blackscreens on me, though I can alt-F7 to get back to X server. That's the puzzle I work on now.
If all else fails you can try to boot to runlevel 3 immediately. Just append a '3' to your bootoptions. Runelevel 3 is by and large the same as runlevel 5 without X.

Another alternative may be to just log out, and at the login screen ... No idea how precisely this works on Ubuntu. Does Alt+N do anything? I get a console log-in.

Or kill the X server with 2x Crtl+Alt+Backspace. But it'll probably just restart and drop you at the graphical login screen.

ETA: 2x Crtl+Alt+Backspace is something you might wish to try when you get a black screen that you describe anyway. Else Magic SysRq Keys is better that a hard reboot.

Last edited by Lord Emsworth; 15th April 2011 at 07:39 AM.
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2011, 08:05 AM   #187
Captain_Snort
Muse

Oh this is funny, the whole lab seems to have come down with some virus on the supplied XP computers, IT support is spending ages registry hacking and scanning. Seems to be coming via Yahoo.

Me, sitting on Linux on a VM and Ubuntu laptop, happily working away
Old 15th April 2011, 09:19 AM   #188
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Snort View Post
Oh this is funny, the whole lab seems to have come down with some virus on the supplied XP computers, IT support is spending ages registry hacking and scanning. Seems to be coming via Yahoo.

Me, sitting on Linux on a VM and Ubuntu laptop, happily working away
I am not a very sadistic person, but that's probably one of the scenarios I have silently hoped for when I was at school.

Never happened, so I envy you.

Cheers
Bram Kaandorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2011, 01:50 AM   #189
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

If you had taken heed of my earlier advice you would have been enjoying hassle-free linux for a week now.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2011, 03:05 AM   #190
Alan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
If you had taken heed of my earlier advice you would have been enjoying hassle-free linux for a week now.
I tried to install Slackware just once.

It failed.
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:04 AM   #191
Alan
Illuminator

I've been using Unity as my primarily shell for the past week, in Ubuntu 11.04's current beta (fully updated). This is a probably boring description of my impressions and some ways it could be improved. I could suggest the changes through launchpad, which I haven't used for that type of thing. I haven't done it yet due to concerns that I would do something wrong.

I like it when a window is maximised because it combines the panel, the menu bar and the title bar into the one bar. This is very good for saving space and I like it when I'm just browsing the internet with one maximised window. Seeing the indicators apparently within the title bar is like the wingpanel idea.

Maximising also makes the launcher (dock) disappear, which is good for saving space but I want to be able to see what I have open. I would like to have the option to not have the launcher autohide to solve this. Or have some other indication in the panel.

When I have multiple windows of the same program open, clicking on the icon for it on the launcher makes all of its windows visible similar to how GNOME Shell does when pointing to the top left, except the only possible interaction with the windows in this mode is selecting the one you want. IIRC, in GNOME Shell you can press buttons on them in this mode. It should be changed to allow that to happen. If I want to close one of them, I need to select it first.

Also, the menus (of the menu bar) are hidden behind the title when a window is maximised unless the cursor is over the title area so it's a bit of guesswork where to point the cursor. It's no longer a beeline to Tools, but an "L" with a change of direction around Help or Bookmarks. But this isn't something I really notice.

When a window is not maximised, the menus are over the name of the program (it looks like "Firefox We[fades out] File Edit"....). that's not the title bar, as each window has its own when minimised. The global menu is of course disassociated from the window when it is not maximised. You have to select a window for that program's menus to show there, which is an annoyance when there are several windows on the screen.

The overlay scrollbar has grown on me. It would be improved if the control would be able to appear not just where the narrow scroll position indicator is, but anywhere along where it can be. It matters because if you click on the controls, it scrolls accordingly and keeps the controls still as it should, but if you move the cursor slightly away, you can't just move it back to where it was a second ago and find the controls appearing again. You have to move to the scroll position marker. Also, some default applications have the old scroll bar. Firefox and Gwibber, at least. It looks unprofessional to have different scroll bars.

Also, I have the Dust Sand theme and my close/minimise/maximise buttons look completely different when maximised.

It's a lot more stable now.

Last edited by Alan; 23rd April 2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 26th April 2011, 01:59 AM   #192
AgeGap
Master Poster

Puppy Arcade 10

Just read about Puppy Arcade in a UK mag. It is a multiple game system emulator.

Not yet tried it out but it looks good.
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2011, 03:31 AM   #193
LandR
Graduate Poster

My main concern about Unity is how easy it is to multitask.

At any one time I might have a terminal open, a web browser, a text editor, a pdf file etc. Especially if I'm doing development. From what I've seen there is no easy and intuitive way to quickly switch between programs with the mouse like you can with a bar along the bottom which shows all your open apps and folders.
LandR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2011, 03:56 AM   #194
Alan
Illuminator

Yes. That's a problem with GNOME 3 too. Alt+Tab is probably the best way to switch between different windows.
Old 26th April 2011, 08:53 AM   #195
Maus
Thinker

I have Fedora on my laptop which seems to be ok.

I have RHEL5 and RHEL6 on all of my servers except one which runs Ubuntu (which I greatly dislike, sorry). RHEL is pretty slick for Enterprise level computing under VMWare.
Maus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2011, 06:46 PM   #196
Alan
Illuminator

I hear bad things about Ubuntu servers. I've never run one.
Old 26th April 2011, 07:02 PM   #197
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Slackware, eh? I can always give it a try.
Old 28th April 2011, 01:30 PM   #198
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

The most recent version has just been released - a truly elite distro -

http://www.slackware.com/announce/13.37.php
Old 28th April 2011, 02:56 PM   #199
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Happy Natty Narwhal day.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2011, 03:05 PM   #200
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
The most recent version has just been released - a truly elite distro -

http://www.slackware.com/announce/13.37.php
Think it'd have trouble seeing the monitor I got plugged in? Ubuntu seemed to want to have nothing to do with it. That, and it's a m17x alienware laptop. Three GPUs. The onboard for low power mode, and dual 280Ms in SLI mode. Getting the SLI and the monitor working was my biggest problem before.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet