JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags "A Song of Ice and Fire" , George R. R. Martin

Old 29th June 2011, 11:55 AM   #361
Morrigan
Crone of War

http://grrm.livejournal.com/224067.html

Quote:
Yes, I know, Amazon Germany screwed up big time and started shipping A DANCE WITH DRAGONS before they were supposed to. I am told that about 180 copies got out before they were made aware of their mistake and shut down shipping.

I am not happy about this. My publishers are furious.

If we find out who is responsible, we will mount his head on a spike.
[...]I know that the 180 readers who got advance copies are happy about this, but I assure you, my publishers are not. And thousands of other readers are now getting spoiled, most quite inadverently and unwillingly, as they stumble over the spoilers cropping up everywhere on the internet. (Some of the spoilers being posted are false, by the way).
So... lucky on those German buyers. But beware the spoilers, guys.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2011, 12:06 PM   #362
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
http://grrm.livejournal.com/224067.html

So... lucky on those German buyers. But beware the spoilers, guys.
I am intrigued by the false spoilers. I wonder if the publisher is engaging in disinfo to help mitigate the screw-up. Or is GRRM just saying they are false so we loyal fans won't believe spoilers we come across.

Sorry, been spending too much time in the CT Forums.
Old 29th June 2011, 02:11 PM   #363
Morrigan
Crone of War

I'm pretty sure those false spoilers are just trolls going for the "lulz". Still a jerkass thing to do though.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2011, 11:26 AM   #364
armageddonman
Muse

Massive spoilers.

http://pastebin.com/fP52vcZd
Old 5th July 2011, 08:01 PM   #365
AmandaM
Critical Thinker

I just started A Feast For Crows, but I'm confused on the map -- where exactly is it that Dany has been traveling?

Is Westeros the continent you find King's Landing and such on, and Dany is on another continent?

Sorry for the newb question. I'm LOVING the books -- I just never did figure out exactly where she was, in relation to all the other characters.
AmandaM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2011, 09:54 PM   #366
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AmandaM View Post
I just started A Feast For Crows, but I'm confused on the map -- where exactly is it that Dany has been traveling?

Is Westeros the continent you find King's Landing and such on, and Dany is on another continent?

Sorry for the newb question. I'm LOVING the books -- I just never did figure out exactly where she was, in relation to all the other characters.
Westeros is the Continent on which you find King's Landing.

To the East, across the narrow sea are the Free cities (Pentos, Braavos, etc.) where Dany's story begins in in A Game of Thrones. After she hatches her dragons, she travels further east to Slaver's Bay (Qarth, Mereen, etc) where the events of Books 2 and 3 take place). She does not appear directly in Book 4 (AFfC) but the end of her story in Book 3 and the reports of her in Book 4 both indicate that she stays in Slaver's Bay to consolidate her power before moving on.

There are references to Asshai to the east of Slaver's Bay and home to the red priests of R'Hllor. IIRC correctly, then in the oceans between the Eastern part of Essos and the western part of Westeros are ruins of Old Valyria (The mythology seems to be similar to that of Atlantis) where here ancestors came from before conquering Westeros.

I anticipate that her journey will eventually lead her there before she comes home to Westeros
Old 6th July 2011, 08:08 AM   #367
AmandaM
Critical Thinker

Thank you!!! That helps a lot!!
AmandaM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2011, 01:03 PM   #368
JamesDillon
Master Poster

A lengthy, spoiler-free review here. I'm glad to hear that we'll get some conclusion to the plot lines left open at the end of AFFC as well as ASOS.

--Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
JamesDillon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2011, 12:30 PM   #369
Morrigan
Crone of War

Wow. The bleakest book yet? Does the reviewer mean in general tone and atmosphere, or does that mean we'll have another "NO ******* WAY" scene like the Red Wedding?

I like this part of the review (very slightly and vaguely spoilerish, if you're really super-sensitive):
Some things happen in this latest book that you've probably been waiting for since Book One, and some huge mysteries are resolved.

I can think of two obvious such "things":
Dany sets sail to Westeros, and they reveal Jon's parentage. :P Oh gods, I hope so...

Last edited by Morrigan; 8th July 2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 8th July 2011, 02:28 PM   #370
rustypouch
Philosopher

I heard rumours the the big shocker involves Ser Pounce and Lady Whiskers...
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2011, 04:08 PM   #371
JamesDillon
Master Poster

Wow. The bleakest book yet? Does the reviewer mean in general tone and atmosphere, or does that mean we'll have another "NO ******* WAY" scene like the Red Wedding?

I like this part of the review (very slightly and vaguely spoilerish, if you're really super-sensitive):
Some things happen in this latest book that you've probably been waiting for since Book One, and some huge mysteries are resolved.

I can think of two obvious such "things":
Dany sets sail to Westeros, and they reveal Jon's parentage. :P Oh gods, I hope so...
Jon's parentage was my first thought. I gather that Dany spends a lot of the book in Meereen, but maybe heads for Westeros by the end of it?

JamesDillon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2011, 05:12 PM   #372
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JamesDillon View Post
Jon's parentage was my first thought. I gather that Dany spends a lot of the book in Meereen, but maybe heads for Westeros by the end of it?
I disagree. The end of AFfC, Victarion was heading to Slaver's Bay to pick her up for Euron. Also as I indicated, I think that she will have some adventures in Asshai and Old Valyria before returning to Westeros. Not enough time for all of that in Dance, I don't think.
Old 8th July 2011, 05:41 PM   #373
Morrigan
Crone of War

AFFC:
ADWD will overlap AFFC in the timeline, but will then go beyond it, so it's possible that Victarion meets with her in the last third (or so) of the novel, and by the very end she sets sail. But yeah, it does look like she'll spend most of her time in Slaver's Bay.
Old 9th July 2011, 01:45 PM   #374
JamesDillon
Master Poster

AFFC:
ADWD will overlap AFFC in the timeline, but will then go beyond it, so it's possible that Victarion meets with her in the last third (or so) of the novel, and by the very end she sets sail. But yeah, it does look like she'll spend most of her time in Slaver's Bay.
I'm hoping that the point at which ADWD goes beyond AFFC will be the long-awaited chronological jump forward a few years. If it's going to happen, it needs to happen soon, and I hope it does happen as I'd really like to see Arya and Bran as teenagers. No reason it would have to happen at the beginning of a book rather than in the middle.

Old 9th July 2011, 02:02 PM   #375
Morrigan
Crone of War

Sorry, but there's no time jump, GRRM abandoned the idea before publishing AFFC.
Old 9th July 2011, 08:26 PM   #376
JamesDillon
Master Poster

Sorry, but there's no time jump, GRRM abandoned the idea before publishing AFFC.
Eh, he's said a lot of things. I'm still hopeful.

Old 10th July 2011, 01:41 AM   #377
Morrigan
Crone of War

Another very positive review:
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2...h-dragons.html
No spoilers, only vague generalizations, but if you're really super-sensitive yadda-yadda don't click.

This part made me go

In a series that's had its fair share of startling scenes and moments, A Dance With Dragons has one that's right up there with the Red Wedding!

Holy crap. What could that be?
A POV's gonna die for sure. Who will it be? Jon? Jaime? Tyrion?
Old 10th July 2011, 02:12 AM   #378
Doctor Evil
Master Poster

Very close now, though it will be an extra week before Amazon deliver my copy.

"In this universe, effect follows cause. I've complained about it but ... " -- House
Doctor Evil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2011, 02:35 AM   #379
Aepervius
Philosopher

There is a second book after a game of throne ? 3rd 4th 5th ? woot.

Now i have a lot to order and read :P

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
A very early french atheist, a catholic priest in life.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2011, 08:47 AM   #380
JamesDillon
Master Poster

Of those three, I'd call Jaime by far the most likely. Jon and Tyrion seem destined to make it to the end.

Old 11th July 2011, 08:52 AM   #381
JamesDillon
Master Poster

Another very positive review:
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2...h-dragons.html
No spoilers, only vague generalizations, but if you're really super-sensitive yadda-yadda don't click.
I'd add that it does reveal who (one of?) the new POV is. Didn't especially want to know that, but it's not really surprising and fits in with some thoughts I recently had:
If this book finally does establish R+L=J, it may well come from Selmy's POV. He's probably the only character still alive who might have known about that, though one might reasonably ask, if he was truly loyal to Robert, why he never said anything about it.

Last edited by JamesDillon; 11th July 2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11th July 2011, 11:54 AM   #382
Morrigan
Crone of War

Sorry about that new POV reveal. The review does say that, but it wasn't a big secret: GRRM himself had posted about him on his blog. There IS another "mystery POV" that GRRM didn't reveal yet, and I still don't know who that is.

Regarding the first POV,
I don't think Selmy was ever really that loyal to Robert, since he deserted his "son" to join Daenerys. And I don't think he knows about Jon, he wasn't at the tower of Joy, and the three kingsguards who were are all dead. Perhaps Rhaegar confided in him, though.

I'm hoping the mystery POV is the Hound. Or Varys, but he knows too much, can't really be him. Howland Reed? I swear, if I turn a page and see a chapter titled "Howland", I'm gonna have a chill.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:21 PM   #383
IDB87
Illuminator

Jon, calling it now. Can't wait! If they kill off Lord Fany-Pants or his dwarf brother, I'll rage-quit the series.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:22 PM   #384
JamesDillon
Master Poster

Sorry about that new POV reveal. The review does say that, but it wasn't a big secret: GRRM himself had posted about him on his blog. There IS another "mystery POV" that GRRM didn't reveal yet, and I still don't know who that is.
Must have missed that announcement, but no big deal. He makes a lot of sense as a POV character.

Quote:
Regarding the first POV,
I don't think Selmy was ever really that loyal to Robert, since he deserted his "son" to join Daenerys. And I don't think he knows about Jon, he wasn't at the tower of Joy, and the three kingsguards who were are all dead. Perhaps Rhaegar confided in him, though.

I'm hoping the mystery POV is the Hound. Or Varys, but he knows too much, can't really be him. Howland Reed? I swear, if I turn a page and see a chapter titled "Howland", I'm gonna have a chill.
He didn't so much desert Joffrey as was kicked out by him-- I'm pretty sure he even admits, when revealing himself to Dany, that but for Joffrey's actions he would likely have remained in Kings Landing. And I took Selmy to be loyal to the Kingsguard, and therefore loyal to whatever king is on the throne at the time. As for him not having been at the Tower of Joy (at least when Ned et al. arrived), that's true, but it's certainly conceivable that information about Lyanna's pregnancy would have been shared among the Kingsguard. Of course I'm not saying that Selmy must have known about it; only that, assuming the hypothesis is true and that Martin wants to reveal Jon's true parentage, Selmy seems like a pretty plausible way to do so.

Of course, Howland Reed would also work for that reveal-- possibly better than Selmy since he was at the Tower of Joy and may even have witnessed Ned's promise.

Old 11th July 2011, 12:36 PM   #385
Morrigan
Crone of War

Good point, but
loyal to Robert or not, Selmy was the only one who supported Ned's decision to not assassinate Daenerys. If he's obviously against the murder of children, it would be consistent of him to not tell Robert about Jon if he did know.
Old 11th July 2011, 01:19 PM   #386
JamesDillon
Master Poster

Just an FYI to any other New Yorkers, GRRM will be at a book signing at the Union Square Barnes & Noble at 7:00 this Thursday. I briefly thought about going, until I got to the part where they're opening seating at 12:00. Sorry, not that dedicated.

Old 12th July 2011, 12:46 AM   #387
Vortigern99
Philosopher

Got book in hand! One copy for my wife and me to share! We'll take turns catching up with each other, and reading aloud to one another when we're both on the same page.

(No spoilers ahead. Just so you know you're safe!)

The wife read the extended prologue aloud on the drive home from the bookstore. Very weird, but engrossing. Clarifies a few questions, raises a thousand more.

I've now read the first chapter after the prologue. Amusing and revolting so far... much like the series overall.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2011, 12:59 AM   #388
Morrigan
Crone of War

You lucky bugger! My amazon.ca pre-order shipped today (well technically, yesterday since it's 4AM...), and amazon.ca is notoriously fast, so I'm hoping I'm getting it tomorrow later today. If so... I won't be attending my Tuesday kendo class for sure.
Old 12th July 2011, 10:18 AM   #389
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
I've now read the first chapter after the prologue. Amusing and revolting so far... much like the series overall.
That's one of things I like about his writing. That he can describe truly awful situations in graphic detail and not have it come across as done for shock value
Old 12th July 2011, 10:42 AM   #390
Vortigern99
Philosopher

The paper the book is made from is weird and thin, almost like fax paper.

That's my report for the afternoon.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2011, 10:46 AM   #391
cwalner
Philosopher

The paper the book is made from is weird and thin, almost like fax paper.

That's my report for the afternoon.
well, as soon as I get off of work, I am going to B&N website and buying it for my Nook, so my copy will have paper made of flowing electrons
Old 12th July 2011, 11:48 AM   #392
Morrigan
Crone of War

Got my copy delivered a minute ago.
Old 12th July 2011, 11:51 AM   #393
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I just finished A Game of Thrones, and am waiting on delivery of A Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords and A Feast For Crows. Looks like I'll be ordering A Dance of Dragons soon, too.

Needless to say I'm staying far away from this thread! I also didn't get into "24" until the 4th season...

ugh.

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2011, 12:01 PM   #394
JamesDillon
Master Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I just finished A Game of Thrones, and am waiting on delivery of A Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords and A Feast For Crows. Looks like I'll be ordering A Dance of Dragons soon, too.

Needless to say I'm staying far away from this thread! I also didn't get into "24" until the 4th season...

ugh.
Smart move-- you just saved yourself a frustrating 5-year wait. Or maybe you got in just in time for the next one.

ETA: Mine just arrived! Now to rush through the last 100 pages of my AFFC reread. Work is done for today

Last edited by JamesDillon; 12th July 2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12th July 2011, 02:13 PM   #395
rustypouch
Philosopher

So hopefully my copy will be at home when I get there, and I can read about Hodor becoming the new King in the North.
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2011, 02:52 PM   #396
Vortigern99
Philosopher

Gaaahhh! Spoilers! Hodor becoming King is sooper sekrit info! It's only obvious in retrospect when you realize that a leader capable of speaking a single word is the best leader of all, since all his followers will just take the word to mean what they want it to mean! Hodor FTW!!

Old 13th July 2011, 01:04 AM   #397
Morrigan
Crone of War

Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
So hopefully my copy will be at home when I get there, and I can read about Hodor becoming the new King in the North.
Gaaahhh! Spoilers! Hodor becoming King is sooper sekrit info! It's only obvious in retrospect when you realize that a leader capable of speaking a single word is the best leader of all, since all his followers will just take the word to mean what they want it to mean! Hodor FTW!!

Hodor.
Old 13th July 2011, 09:48 AM   #398
JamesDillon
Master Poster

A few chapters in, one impression so far:
This "where do whores go?" nonsense is even more annoying than "You know nothing, Jon Snow." I hope Tyrion gets over it soon.

Old 14th July 2011, 01:41 AM   #399
Morrigan
Crone of War

I'm almost halfway through, and so far things are a lot more interesting than AFFC. Though um... GRRM likes the a certain trope a little too much?

(Don't click unless you read 'til page 433 of the US hardcover! You have been warned.)
The whole switcheroo trope thing is getting a bit overdone... okay sure, Jon switching Gilly's son with Mance's in AFFC could have been foreshadowing for Aegon's, sorta, and people speculated on Aegon Targaryen being alive but I still always chalked that up as a crackpot theory... guess it's true though. But then this, AND switching Mance and Rattleshirt from Melisandre's spell? WTF? I thought she needed "King's blood" for her flames, but it was really just to soothe Stannis's desire to punish the oathbreaker? Or was she intending on using Mance's son... but then, Mance appeared unconcerned and even cooperative, so I doubt she has plans to burn the baby (assuming she doesn't know it's not Mance's, which she might). I wish Mel's POV had cleared that king's blood thing a bit, but there's time for that later I guess. At least we know she really believes what she says now and isn't some sorceress faking her beliefs. But I DID think that Rattleshirt behaved very oddly, spoke too well, and said very out-of-character things before the reveal, and I did think it strange that Mance died screaming cowardly, but I admit I didn't put two and two together. Damn you GRRM.

In other thoughts, I hope the entire Bolton clan gets eradicated from the face of Westeros.
Old 14th July 2011, 09:54 AM   #400
JamesDillon
Master Poster

A question about Young Griff arising from page 234, but referring to things that may or may not have yet been revealed:

"'A turtle,' the prince announced cheerfully." Huh? When were we supposed to learn that Young Griff is a prince? According to Google, he's apparently supposed to be Aegon Targaryen, but was I supposed to have figured that out at some point prior to page 234?

JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts