JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags Japan earthquake , Japan incidents , nuclear power issues

Old 13th March 2011, 04:56 PM   #121
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by qarnos View Post
Believe it or not, these two quotes come from the same article (all bolding mine):

TMI was first, so that isn't wrong.
Old 13th March 2011, 04:57 PM   #122
Eric D
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
So what you are saying is that something is safe until it isn't.
That's deep, man.
Hahahahaha. My thoughts exactly.
Eric D is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 04:59 PM   #123
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
TMI was first, so that isn't wrong.
Ha! Shows me right for not knowing my history. I always thought TMI came afterwards.
Old 13th March 2011, 05:00 PM   #124
technoextreme
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Planes are very safe, until hijacked and flown into highrise buildings.
Actually you bring up an interesting dichotomy between Thunder's logical fallacy and reality. Would you still say planes are safe even though the same sort of failure involving multiple redundant systems being lost have happened in the past?
It's amazing how many of these "paranormal" icons seem to merge together. There always seem to be theories about how they link together in some way. I'm sure someone has a very good explanation as to how Bigfoot killed JFK to help cover Roswell.-Mark Mekes
This isn't rocket surgery.-Bill Nye
technoextreme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 05:02 PM   #125
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by technoextreme View Post
Actually you bring up an interesting dichotomy between Thunder's logical fallacy and reality. Would you still say planes are safe even though the same sort of failure involving multiple redundant systems being lost have happened in the past?
You know, that Airbus that went down in the Atlantic last year seems to have just fallen out of the sky. Hundreds dead. We did not ban air travel.
Old 13th March 2011, 05:04 PM   #126
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

And hydro dams can CAUSE earthquakes...
I couldn't believe this at first, but Google says you are right. Holy crap.

That is awesome.
Old 13th March 2011, 05:07 PM   #127
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Location: In the midst of a vast, beautiful & uncaring universe
Originally Posted by bikerdruid View Post
nuclear power safe?

apparently not.
Regarding the current disaster in Japan, can you tell me how many people have died as a result of the troubles with the nuclear plants?

Now take that number and compare it to the number of people killed in the earthquake & subsequent tsunami. Then come back and start spewing your nonsense about how nuclear power "isn't safe"
Old 13th March 2011, 05:10 PM   #128
bikerdruid
hermit hippy weirdo

Originally Posted by Par View Post
Have them confiscated by Customs and Excisemic.
that is funny...
Old 13th March 2011, 05:10 PM   #129
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Total number of civilians killed by this nuclear incident: 0

And I'm reading that the elevated radiation levels went down after the explosion indicating they may have just been picking up elevated levels from other industries put into the air by the earthquake/tsunami.
Yes, and those elevated radiation levels went down so quickly because 1) the radioactive steam/gas was quickly dispersed by the wind, and 2) most of the radioactive isotopes in said steam/gas are of the very short half-life variety, which means they decay into a harmless state very quickly.

But apparently that information doesn't make for good headlines

Last edited by MattusMaximus; 13th March 2011 at 05:12 PM.
MattusMaximus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 05:11 PM   #130
technoextreme
Illuminator

You know, that Airbus that went down in the Atlantic last year seems to have just fallen out of the sky. Hundreds dead. We did not ban air travel.
I could one up that. Supposedly*, the government recently admitted culpability in contributing to my grandpa's death. Mind you he helped build a nuclear reactor which I actually have proof of. Don't particularly think it has any bearing on the issue.
*I'm relying on information from my mother.
It's amazing how many of these "paranormal" icons seem to merge together. There always seem to be theories about how they link together in some way. I'm sure someone has a very good explanation as to how Bigfoot killed JFK to help cover Roswell.-Mark Mekes

Last edited by technoextreme; 13th March 2011 at 05:16 PM.
technoextreme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 05:12 PM   #131
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

that is funny...
Still haven't come up with that death toll estimate from the Japanese nuclear plants yet? I'll give you a hint: it starts with a "z"...
Old 13th March 2011, 05:13 PM   #132
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

not just the racoons....
the whole earth will be better off without us.
Speak for yourself, pal.
Old 13th March 2011, 05:15 PM   #133
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
The psychological damage would not be that bad if the media did their job, instead of going for Sensationalist yellow journalism. Selling is more important than informing. That , or they are totally incompetent.
This ^^^

The ham-fisted reporting by far too many media outlets makes them active contributors to the psychological damage. Stupid bastards
Old 13th March 2011, 05:16 PM   #134
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It called the NIMBY factor. And both parties are sacared of it.
A lot of people who say they support nuclear power get cold feet when there is talk of a plant in a 20 Mile radius of where they live.
I have to laugh when people I work with get all gooey on the anti-nuke talk... until I point out to them that we get the vast majority of our electricity from nuclear plants in Illinois. After I make the point that the lights wouldn't be on around here without nuclear plants, most of them tend to shut up.
Old 13th March 2011, 05:19 PM   #135
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
I have to laugh when people I work with get all gooey on the anti-nuke talk... until I point out to them that we get the vast majority of our electricity from nuclear plants in Illinois. After I make the point that the lights wouldn't be on around here without nuclear plants, most of them tend to shut up.
We had a hand in inventing it here.
Old 13th March 2011, 05:20 PM   #136
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Nosi View Post
You only need to look at Grade B Sci Fi to see why people are loosing their brown over the reactors. How many mutant monsters have been spawned by the wonder of the Atom gone wrong?
Fictional ones: plenty

Real ones: 0

Even this guy thinks the hysteria over all of this is stupid

Old 13th March 2011, 05:23 PM   #137
bikerdruid
hermit hippy weirdo

Still haven't come up with that death toll estimate from the Japanese nuclear plants yet? I'll give you a hint: it starts with a "z"...
zero...and i hope it stays there.
Old 13th March 2011, 05:24 PM   #138
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

here's a timely news bit:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/world-europe-12724981
Tens of thousands of people have protested in Germany against the government's plans to extend the life of its nuclear reactors.
All that shows is that those people in Germany are being manipulated by fear-mongering, scientific & engineering ignorance, and rabidly anti-nuclear propaganda.
Old 13th March 2011, 05:25 PM   #139
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by qarnos View Post
I couldn't believe this at first, but Google says you are right. Holy crap.

That is awesome.
Like Anthropogenic Global Warming, people don't want to believe we can effect the Earth itself.
Old 13th March 2011, 05:26 PM   #140
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

zero...and i hope it stays there.
Even if it were ten, that is still less than that tour bus crash the other day, isn't it?
Old 13th March 2011, 05:28 PM   #141
bikerdruid
hermit hippy weirdo

Speak for yourself, pal.
oh, i was....didn't you notice my use of the inclusive pronoun 'us'?
that includes me, therefore, i was speaking for myself.

Last edited by bikerdruid; 13th March 2011 at 05:41 PM.
bikerdruid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 05:29 PM   #142
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

In an effort to educate people about radiation, since everyone's attention is focused on it now, I suggest you all take some time to calculate your own personal radiation dose. Once you go through that calculation and see all of the sources (both natural & artificial) that you're exposed to all the time, then you will see how much the media is hyping this stuff.

Knowledge is power, folks. Learn about radiation, and it will cease to be as scary as the media is making it sound. As I like to say: "Know nukes!"
Old 13th March 2011, 05:57 PM   #143
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Indeed, Edge of Darkness's main point does seem to be that Man has turned its back on the fruits of Gaia and will be destroyed for it. And unfortunately the show seems to rejoice in this possibility with the "optimistic" idea being that once humans are all dead the Earth can get back to doing whatever it was that makes Gaia's life worthwhile. The moral message is piffle but the soundtrack is great.

It's been a long time since I saw the show, but from what I recall, I didn't take away that message from it. I just remember it being about a father trying to find out what really happened to his daughter, and Joe Don Baker's radioactive act of revenge towards the end. I also recall it being a very well-made program.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 06:09 PM   #144
Hamradioguy
Pyrrhonist

Some good observations in this thread. Having worked in Health Physics (radiation safety) I'd say that no form of large scale energy production is "safe", but nuclear is among the safest of the methods currently in use. However conveying the concept of risk to a public fearful of anything involving dreaded radiation is tough. (Wonder if we'd still be lighting our houses with kerosene lamps if the electric chair had been extensively used for executions well before Edison and Tesla came along to electrify our homes and businesses?)

The Health Physics Society, of which I am a member, has some excellent info on their web site, particularly under "Experts Answers" under the Ask an Expert section. And for anyone who wants a good overview of nuclear health risks, grab a copy of Petr Beckmann's excellent if somewhat irreverent, "The Health Risks of NOT going Nuclear."
Hamradioguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 06:14 PM   #145
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

i live simply, with solar power, wood heat and cooking and haven't had running water for many years.
the best my water can do is walk from the spring to the house, in a bucket, at the end of my arm.

What do you do with your waste? I presume you have an outhouse?

Turkey Point nuclear power station: A nuke plant in Florida that's a hideaway for American alligators.

Are the alligators now three hundred feet long and rampaging through cities yet?
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 06:18 PM   #146
bikerdruid
hermit hippy weirdo

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
What do you do with your waste? I presume you have an outhouse?
D
yup...i poop in the ground.
Old 13th March 2011, 06:29 PM   #147
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

And pollute the groundwater???!
Old 13th March 2011, 06:40 PM   #148
nimzov

Originally Posted by Hamradioguy View Post
...but nuclear is among the safest of the methods currently in use.
Not right over a subduction zone.
nimzov is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 06:42 PM   #149
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by nimzov View Post
Not right over a subduction zone.
There too.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 06:42 PM   #150
bikerdruid
hermit hippy weirdo

And pollute the groundwater???!
no.
Old 13th March 2011, 06:52 PM   #151
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

no.
Yes. There is a reason we no longer allow human waste to be dealt with in septic systems in populated areas. It becomes pollution.

When we were homeless like the other beasts, before we settled down and started farming, our numbers were small, and our wastes were scattered all over our range, and were not a problem.

As soon as you dig a pit and keep defecating and urinating in it on a constant basis you have are polluting the soil and the groundwater. No escape from this.

If you want to be green and not deal with a sewer, get a Clivus Multrum composting toilet. Those actually are green. Outhouses with a cesspool underneath are very much NOT green.

See; http://www.clivusmultrum.com/
Old 13th March 2011, 07:03 PM   #152
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

ii ride an 35 year old soviet motorcycle that i maintain myself.
I hope you bought that used.

Because otherwise, you gave money to histories 2nd bloodiest genocidal regime and the one responsible for the most and the worst nuclear disasters.

Quote:
i drive a 30 year old toyota truck which i maintain myself.
Built with nuclear energy and farts gobs of carbon with every mile driven.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 07:07 PM   #153
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

oh, i was....didn't you notice my use of the inclusive pronoun 'us'?
that includes me, therefore, i was speaking for myself.
So, BD, what's the Earth doing that's so important, that it'd be better off doing it if you weren't around?

And if the Earth really would be better off without you--as you claim--then why are you still around?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 07:07 PM   #154
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Speak for yourself, pal.
GOd, he is sounding like the villians in Tom Clancy;s original "Rainbow Six" novel,where a fanatic billionaire Earth First Econut develops a virus that will wipe out 99% of the Human Race,thus preserving the enviroment.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 07:08 PM   #155
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. There is a reason we no longer allow human waste to be dealt with in septic systems in populated areas. It becomes pollution.

When we were homeless like the other beasts, before we settled down and started farming, our numbers were small, and our wastes were scattered all over our range, and were not a problem.

As soon as you dig a pit and keep defecating and urinating in it on a constant basis you have are polluting the soil and the groundwater. No escape from this.

If you want to be green and not deal with a sewer, get a Clivus Multrum composting toilet. Those actually are green. Outhouses with a cesspool underneath are very much NOT green.

See; http://www.clivusmultrum.com/
And they stink like hell...........
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 07:10 PM   #156
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Glad I don't have you for a neighbor.....
Old 13th March 2011, 08:12 PM   #157
Nosi
Master Poster

In an effort to educate people about radiation, since everyone's attention is focused on it now, I suggest you all take some time to calculate your own personal radiation dose. Once you go through that calculation and see all of the sources (both natural & artificial) that you're exposed to all the time, then you will see how much the media is hyping this stuff.

Knowledge is power, folks. Learn about radiation, and it will cease to be as scary as the media is making it sound. As I like to say: "Know nukes!"
Many anti-nuke people don't take a second thought about throwing a burrito into the microwave, a very tiny nuclear device.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2011, 08:14 PM   #158
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Many anti-nuke people don't take a second thought about throwing a burrito into the microwave, a very tiny nuclear device.
No, actually.

It's a Radio Frequency device.

It makes a radio carrier at the exact frequency that water molecules will resonate, and this makes heat.
Old 13th March 2011, 08:17 PM   #159
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

However, if you want a device that everybody uses and few people think of as a radiological device, look up; Most smoke detectors have an ionizing source that is Americium, about one micro-curie of it.
Old 13th March 2011, 08:22 PM   #160
technoextreme
Illuminator

However, if you want a device that everybody uses and few people think of as a radiological device, look up; Most smoke detectors have an ionizing source that is Americium, about one micro-curie of it.
Actually, you forgot the punchline to that joke. The only viable source of Americium is in nuclear reactors. Its the only element that is industrially produced.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events