JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 5th April 2011, 06:52 AM   #1
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Terrible, "woo" Bob Edwards show - call to arms

I don't know how many of you listen to Bob Edwards on XM/Sirius. Normally his show is great. He interviews actors, musicians, writers, politicians, soldiers, policy setters, scientists, etc., and it is always an intellectual, well researched program, where he is quick to jump in and question claims.

Well, not yesterday. He interviewed Tom Shadyac, director of the "documentary" I am. During this interview Tom claimed such things as the PEAR number generators detected 9/11 before it happened, that Dean Radin has proved that we can see back in time, that we can pass information instantly view qunatum entanglement, that space-time does not exist, that Einstein knew about this, that yougurt connected to electrodes responds to his thoughts and moods - name a 'sciencey' woo, and he uttered it.

All through it Bob never uttered a word. Normally, if it was in his field of expertise, he'd be all over you:

"you: During the Obama campaign his aide...."
"him: How do you know that? Were you there? That seems pretty suprising to me..."

I don't blame his ignorance - not too many people actually go and read rebuttals to Dean Radin's publications, besides us. I do blame his not bringing in someone to vet this stuff beforehand (perhaps he didn't realize the guy was going to wander into crazy land, I dunno).

Anyway, this is a very popular show, and normally of a high quality - I fear that anyone listening to this might mistake it for being of equally high quality and equally researched beforehand. To make that clear, if you don't normally listen, normally he asks very penetrating questions that make it very clear that this show was researched for days, and that every detail was looked into and fact checked - it's better reporting (even though it's an interview show) than most news outlets manage. This is like the BBC suddenly doing a program on how Obama is a shape shifting lizard with a straight face and no rebuttal or a single "are you sure?".

Anyway, if you are a fan of this show but missed this program, I recommend giving it a listen and writing a letter to Bob saying how disappointed you are in this program.

Here's a link to a blog post. Note the weaselly nature of the language. At least the author doesn't seem to fully buy into the yogurt nonsense, but then she goes on to wave that away by saying he's saying something important. Hmm, I thought facts were important, myself. From there you can get links to the program, enter a comment, etc.

http://www.bobedwardsradio.com/blog/....html#comments

If anyone has a link debunking either the PEAR 9/11 claim or Radin I'd appreciate it. I'll be googling, but perhaps somebody already knows a very good source. Better if it comes from a respected person like Shermer or such, rather than 'random internet guy'.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Joey McGee
Transcendental Naturalist

It's fitting that Tom is a comedy director! The premise is a joke!

I can see why the media goes soft on this subject because it's completely fascinating and connected to our deepest emotions. I don't know this guy but in my experience new age sciency stuff bypasses the mental immune system of most people in the media. You're right, this is absolutely unacceptable and we should always write in our complaints and send references debunking these people.

I think Ray Hyman is the go to guy on PEAR, but I'd just check out the Skepdic article on it.

Last edited by Joey McGee; 5th April 2011 at 08:11 AM.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2011, 08:22 AM   #3
GrandMasterFox
Graduate Poster

Any relation to John Edwards?
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2011, 03:25 PM   #4
rsalinger
Scholar

I'm glad to see this and it's refutation. I listened to that show and spent ten minutes looking into the various undocumented claims. This was just a guy shamelessly creating a movie to make money in the hope, I guess, of confusing people. What utter crap.
rsalinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Joey McGee

Originally Posted by rsalinger View Post
I'm glad to see this and it's refutation. I listened to that show and spent ten minutes looking into the various undocumented claims. This was just a guy shamelessly creating a movie to make money in the hope, I guess, of confusing people. What utter crap.
Dude the entire movie is about giving your extra resources away and living as one people, it's totally unfair to call it a moneymaking venture, he actually passionately believes it. Everything he doesn't need doesn't belong to him. It's only bad because they are obviously a little deluded. This all started when he fell off his bike and hit his head sooooo... not that that means anything buuuut

I think this is a terribly misguided move back towards communism (Now with 10x more individuality, don't worry! )and unsurprisingly, the Zeitgeist people just love it. They really believe it, shouldn't call it a scam, more like a fantasy.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2011, 01:12 PM   #6
rsalinger
Scholar

My point was more about the show being one sided and Tom being full of nonsense. I don't know if the movie proceeds go to a good cause or not. I do know that having a reputable media outlet - NPR - put something like this on only misleads the easily misled among us. Seen too many people have sad, sorry lives based on their belief in WOO including being financially fleeced by peddlers of this kind of crap.

BTB- where do the proceeds of the movie go to?
rsalinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Joey McGee

Originally Posted by rsalinger View Post
My point was more about the show being one sided and Tom being full of nonsense. I don't know if the movie proceeds go to a good cause or not. I do know that having a reputable media outlet - NPR - put something like this on only misleads the easily misled among us. Seen too many people have sad, sorry lives based on their belief in WOO including being financially fleeced by peddlers of this kind of crap.

BTB- where do the proceeds of the movie go to?
"all proceeds from I AM will go to The Foundation for I AM, a non-profit"

Took me less than ten seconds to google, copy, return and paste that dood! Just sayin!

Yeah the media is irresponsible and clueless, more of us need to write in and complain, there's a lot of pathological cynicism out there, which is why Randi is so venerated, he's out there busting woo and complaining until this day.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:25 AM   #8
rsalinger
Scholar

I kept wondering, as I looked at the nonsense on the website, if this isn't all just a big joke. Remember the guy is apparently the creator of "Liar, Liar", claims to have had an epiphany, given away everything, learned that we are all one with the universe, etc. Maybe I'm just an OLD cynic but I just keep wondering if the dude isn't goofing on us as we used to say back in the sixties.

BTB what exactly does "proceeds" mean - gross revenue, net revenue, etc.?

Rgrds-Ross
Old 18th April 2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Mr. Purple
Some Other Guy on Some Other Job

Good 'ol JREF.
I heard this yesterday and was shocked at the woo that was being spewed without being refuted by Bob. I agree, his show is normally outstanding.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Joey McGee

Yeah the only people who make money on these things are the people who can't afford to do it for free, basically net profits. The thing is, I know a lot of people like this. Thing is, I used to be like these people for awhile. It's definitely old debunked notions about humanity from the 60s combined with modern pseudoscience and some begrudgingly accepted real science. Parties are often the best ever though. Wish thinking is just another drug dude.

Yeah it's crazy because to be completely mean-spirited about the whole thing, the premise is good but it smacks of religious propaganda. It's like, "We set out to discover what's wrong with the world, and what we could do to change it!" And they've got Chomsky and Zinn up front, yammering away, but underneath it all it's like, "woo, it's good for you, it can save the world, woo, yeah"

I haven't seen the movie, it's probably got some good ideas in it, but it's basically "hey we're all connected! Let's be more altruistic everyone!" and "woo is good" Well, those two ideas don't really go together in my mind because wish thinking and bad science are pretty scary problems in society so the whole thing just sounds cacophony.

Or as one critic saw it...
Quote:
Take one part documentary, one part introspective analysis, a dash of quantum physics, a sprinkle of poetry, and a dollop of New Age explorative thought—then bake for 76 minutes.
Who the hell would want to eat that?

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal