JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags obituaries , osama bin laden

Reply
Old 3rd May 2011, 07:01 AM   #361
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,018
Hello, soldier here.

I have been in the army for 20 years, and spent nearly 3 years with an SF Unit. I have never used any kind of sniper rifle, but have been trained to use an SMG, SLR, SA-80 rifle, 9mm Browning Pistol, 9mm Sig Sauer 229 pistol, GPMG, MP5, HK53, and Chieftain/Challenger 120mm Main armament. Regardless of range, weapon, or SF scenario the drill when engaging ANY target is "aim for the centre of the observed mass". NEVER have I seen ANY soldier trained/training in shooting weapons from a combatant's hand, or shooting to wound. NO 'sharpshooter' in the WORLD would attempt this during the chaos of a firefight; are we seriously expected to believe that everybody involved would stand perfectly still, not firing, while someone carefully aimed at a pistol at the weapon in OBL's unmoving hand then shot at it hoping to disarm him? REALLY?!

I would suggest a 'sharpshooter' would be lucky to hit a static beachball at 20m if they were subject to effective enemy fire from the same distance - never mind a dime - simply because nobody would be so bloody stupid as to stand there in those circumstances and sight in on something that relatively small. Absolute idiocy, and completely non-existent outside a Hollywood film.


Check this out:

http://mythbustersresults.com/unarmed-and-unharmed

I actually watched this episode, and of the six times (shown) that they tried to shoot a weapon from someone's hand (replicating the forces involved), the weapon was only dropped twice.

I would suggest luck plays a big part in any firefight, but only an absolute IDIOT with a death wish would choose to rely solely on it for success.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 3rd May 2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Spelling and structure.
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 07:18 AM   #362
ladmo
Muse
 
ladmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 676
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Hello, soldier here.

I have been in the army for 20 years, and spent nearly 3 years with an SF Unit. I have never used any kind of sniper rifle, but have been trained to use an SMG, SLR, SA-80 rifle, 9mm Browning Pistol, 9mm Sig Sauer 229 pistol, GPMG, MP5, HK53, and Chieftain/Challenger 120mm Main armament. Regardless of range, weapon, or SF scenario the drill when engaging ANY target is "aim for the centre of the observed mass". NEVER have I seen ANY soldier trained/training in shooting weapons from a combatant's hand, or shooting to wound. NO 'sharpshooter' in the WORLD would attempt this during the chaos of a firefight; are we seriously expected to believe that everybody involved would stand perfectly still, not firing, while someone carefully aimed at a pistol at the weapon in OBL's unmoving hand then shot at it hoping to disarm him? REALLY?!

I would suggest a 'sharpshooter' would be lucky to hit a static beachball at 20m if they were subject to effective enemy fire from the same distance - never mind a dime - simply because nobody would be so bloody stupid as to stand there in those circumstances and sight in on something that relatively small. Absolute idiocy, and completely non-existent outside a Hollywood film.


Check this out:

http://mythbustersresults.com/unarmed-and-unharmed

I actually watched this episode, and of the six times (shown) that they tried to shoot a weapon from someone's hand (replicating the forces involved), the weapon was only dropped twice.

I would suggest luck plays a big part in any firefight, but only an absolute IDIOT with a death wish would choose to rely solely on it for success.
Hollywood got it right in the movie "Firefly". One of the characters is Jayne, she takes out someone with a leg shot and her partner says "Nice leg shot"... Jayne reponds... "I was aiming for the head".

That sums up the confusion in a fire fight... one of the core competencies of special forces is the ability to adjust in a compressed timeframe. Your summation is excellent... thx
ladmo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 07:48 AM   #363
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 10,109
Originally Posted by Scott Jurgenson View Post
I just read this whole entire thread again and as skeptical I am on just about every CS known to man, this whole killing of Osama is starting to bother me. The very few people on this board that know me know that I don't have a spnspiracy bone in my body..................................

Anyway, I agree with the whole if you're getting shot at shoot back stuff, however, I really wish they took this guy alive. Truthers will not shut up now about how we killed Osama to cover up his knowlege of how our own Government was responsible for 911. I have been reading the yahoo story comments and it's hard to debunk these kids right now. Specially since they put the body out to Sea within 24 hours (yeah Islamic custom whatever, if the guy killed / murdered thousands of people, which I believe he did, I think an exception could have been made).

I have a few questions...

1.) Is this going to spawn a massive terrorist response? (ie bombings, threats)
2.) Does anyone else who considers themselves a skeptic on this board feel they should have kept the body (even knowing it would become a memorial to many radial islamic fundamentalists)
3.) Is his death going to solve or qwell any of these conspiracy theories regarding 911?
4.) Does anyone else who considers themselves a skeptic on this board feel there is more to this story than we are getting?
1. I don't think so. At least not in the west. Such massive rerror responses had been predicted on several occasions before, but didn't happen. AQ did not restrain itself lately just because we didn't kill OBL. However, some wild bombs will surely go off in Pakistan.
2. Yes, I think 10 hours till burial at sea was unnecessarily fast. Also, I read that Whabbism, the sect that Osama belonged to and that is state religion in Saudi Arabia, only knows incognito burial in earth, head facing Mecca. I can't see why they could not find him a secret site somewhere, inside the USA even. Yes, it would leak eventually... I'd take that risk.
3. As Trutherism feeds itself from everything and its opposite, that episode will add some whacko ideas. But I don't care
4. There's always more, especially with regards to the role of Pakistan, but I'd think not very much more.
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:04 AM   #364
Scott Jurgenson
Critical Thinker
 
Scott Jurgenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 292
I absolutely love this message board and I am very grateful for the multitude of responses. Sometimes my mind wants to wander and we are all so used to getting an absolute resoultion with things that happen in our life mostly by what we see in the movies / media.

The movies show us something happening and keep us guessing throughout the entire film and then give us a solid resolution in the end. (Obviously there are some like Inception that keep us guessing, however, most give us a solid ending). I think this leads to people wanting to have a definitive resolution to this whole "saga" and many feel unfufilled that there is nothing circulating where people can see with their own eyes what happened. The Sadaam hanging was a good example, though released unofficially, it gave people a sigh of relief to say yeah he's gone, the world is a better place without him.

I would be very interested to see/hear more about what the poster "TruthersLIe" has spoken with the students.
Scott Jurgenson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:06 AM   #365
Scott Jurgenson
Critical Thinker
 
Scott Jurgenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Hello, soldier here.

I have been in the army for 20 years, and spent nearly 3 years with an SF Unit. I have never used any kind of sniper rifle, but have been trained to use an SMG, SLR, SA-80 rifle, 9mm Browning Pistol, 9mm Sig Sauer 229 pistol, GPMG, MP5, HK53, and Chieftain/Challenger 120mm Main armament. Regardless of range, weapon, or SF scenario the drill when engaging ANY target is "aim for the centre of the observed mass". NEVER have I seen ANY soldier trained/training in shooting weapons from a combatant's hand, or shooting to wound. NO 'sharpshooter' in the WORLD would attempt this during the chaos of a firefight; are we seriously expected to believe that everybody involved would stand perfectly still, not firing, while someone carefully aimed at a pistol at the weapon in OBL's unmoving hand then shot at it hoping to disarm him? REALLY?!

I would suggest a 'sharpshooter' would be lucky to hit a static beachball at 20m if they were subject to effective enemy fire from the same distance - never mind a dime - simply because nobody would be so bloody stupid as to stand there in those circumstances and sight in on something that relatively small. Absolute idiocy, and completely non-existent outside a Hollywood film.


Check this out:

http://mythbustersresults.com/unarmed-and-unharmed

I actually watched this episode, and of the six times (shown) that they tried to shoot a weapon from someone's hand (replicating the forces involved), the weapon was only dropped twice.

I would suggest luck plays a big part in any firefight, but only an absolute IDIOT with a death wish would choose to rely solely on it for success.
This makes perfect sense. The whole "shoot to wound or disarm camp" needs to read this and watch that video. We all can sit and say we'd want to take out targets in an effective way to disarm/wound, but when bullets are flying over head, I doubt anyone on this board would do anyting other than shoot to kill / save your own life.
Scott Jurgenson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:49 AM   #366
TruthersLie
This space for rent.
 
TruthersLie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 3,720
Originally Posted by ladmo View Post
I am with you on this... have been in communication with some of my business partners who are located in Northern Africa and backlash is beginning to swell. Not that they liked bin laden, in fact they disliked him intensely, but the rationale of "dumping" (their word) the body at sea. Apparently, it is considered desicration to bury a Muslim in this fashion. I yield to thier knowledge but I couldn't care less about bin laden and his feelings.
As per my students. You can bury a muslim at sea if there is no possibility of a "proper" burial within the time frame.

My students think his body should have been given to the pakistani PEOPLE, not the government. Their rationale is that many of the people of pakistan or afghanistan view him in the same light that brits viewed "robin hood."

Many of the students are under the false impression that the US just dropped the body over the ship to be ripped up by the propellers. When I went over what was in the newspapers (he had the proper rites, was washed, cleaned, wrapped in a white cloth and the proper prayer was said) they said it was ok. Many of them are filled with incredulity because they believe the US looked for him for 10 years and wouldn't give him the "honor" of a proper burial. They think the soldiers would have pissed on him, or worse yet, lit him on fire.
__________________
"There are submissions to the Journal of 9/11 Studies, but that's about as convincing as submissions to the Journal of Intelligent Design Studies." –Noam Chomsky (and this can be said of ANY and all twoof papers)
TruthersLie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:59 AM   #367
Wolrab
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Beautiful Finger Lakes
Posts: 2,303
Originally Posted by ladmo View Post
Hollywood got it right in the movie "Firefly". One of the characters is Jayne, she takes out someone with a leg shot and her partner says "Nice leg shot"... Jayne reponds... "I was aiming for the head".

That sums up the confusion in a fire fight... one of the core competencies of special forces is the ability to adjust in a compressed timeframe. Your summation is excellent... thx
Nit pick: Jayne is a man.
Wolrab is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:34 AM   #368
Furcifer
miscreant
 
Furcifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hohm
Posts: 13,379
Originally Posted by Justin39640 View Post
Just like bullseying womp rats in my T-16 back home.
And here I've been callin em swamp rats.

It was Osama's actions that ensured he wasn't taken alive. It's as simple as that.
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:34 AM   #369
TruthersLie
This space for rent.
 
TruthersLie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 3,720
Originally Posted by Scott Jurgenson View Post
I absolutely love this message board and I am very grateful for the multitude of responses. Sometimes my mind wants to wander and we are all so used to getting an absolute resoultion with things that happen in our life mostly by what we see in the movies / media.

The movies show us something happening and keep us guessing throughout the entire film and then give us a solid resolution in the end. (Obviously there are some like Inception that keep us guessing, however, most give us a solid ending). I think this leads to people wanting to have a definitive resolution to this whole "saga" and many feel unfufilled that there is nothing circulating where people can see with their own eyes what happened. The Sadaam hanging was a good example, though released unofficially, it gave people a sigh of relief to say yeah he's gone, the world is a better place without him.

I would be very interested to see/hear more about what the poster "TruthersLIe" has spoken with the students.
SJ.

What is funny is that last year I was teaching at Uni. My Uni students were 21 22 23 years old and most of them were going into engineering. My engineering students were very careful about what they said, and what information they used in discussions. They made sure they had citations to support their claims and that they tried to back it up.

This year I switched jobs and I am now teaching at a local high school. I am still teaching roughly the same material, but for lower grades. These students have NO information literacy skills.

One of them brought in a print out of the "photo" of UBL after he was killed. They then tried to tell me that the "photo" was photoshopped. It was. But it wasn't from the US government. They tried to say it was the photo that the US took of a dead Bin Laden. I had to post the correct links stating that no such photos have been released on facebook and direct my students to the correct facts all night long.

You bring up the Saddam execution video. My students are woefully ignorant of the facts (in most things dealing with the US, or the events in the gulf). Most of what they know is supposition, rumor and arguments from ignorance and incredulity.

My students swear to me that Saddam H, was tried by the US and executed by the US. When I point out the facts (it was an iraqi court, with iraqi legal system, and iraqi executioners) they reply, why did the executioners cover their faces? So even though I provide them with links to the correct information, they often gish gallop from one topic to another.

About 2 weeks before we had a great discussion about the guy in florida who burned a copy of the Qu'ran. My students were up in arms about how this was a desecration of the "holy" scriptures. As if that particular book was given BY GOD to man. They don't understand any of the freedoms that we take for granted.

A good example. One of my year 10 boys got into a huge fist fight with another year 10 boy. Blood everywhere, shoes flying, desks knocked over, one boy lost a tooth. Because one boy said that the others ones mother was his farq (I think that is how it is spelled. It translates directly into "little chicken" but the slang means "my bitch.") This rumble was because someone "used bad words" about someone else's mom. That was like...... 5th grade for me (and most americans, by year 7 you are told to grow up).
__________________
"There are submissions to the Journal of 9/11 Studies, but that's about as convincing as submissions to the Journal of Intelligent Design Studies." –Noam Chomsky (and this can be said of ANY and all twoof papers)
TruthersLie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:51 AM   #370
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher
 
Cl1mh4224rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 7,001
Originally Posted by Scott Jurgenson View Post
Truthers will not shut up now about how we killed Osama to cover up his knowlege of how our own Government was responsible for 911.

You can come up with a dozen reasons why truthers won't shut up no matter what action was taken.

Besides, Osama wasn't exactly tight-lipped when it came to condemning the U.S. and he had nearly 10 years to say anything he wanted to say.

Originally Posted by ladmo View Post
Hollywood got it right in the movie "Firefly". One of the characters is Jayne, she takes out someone with a leg shot and her partner says "Nice leg shot"... Jayne reponds... "I was aiming for the head".

That sums up the confusion in a fire fight... one of the core competencies of special forces is the ability to adjust in a compressed timeframe. Your summation is excellent... thx

1) "Jayne ain't a girl." —Jayne Cobb
2) He was also drugged up at the time.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 3rd May 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:23 AM   #371
The Charnel Expanse
Muse
 
The Charnel Expanse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Transition Hospital
Posts: 946
I fall into the 'wish we'd taken him alive' camp. But dammit, you have to be realistic. The odds of him being taken alive were longer than those of the Browns winning the Super Bowl.
__________________
Nature abhors a vacuum, which is why my dog barks at the roomba.

"I nominate The Charnel Expanse as the greatest poster in the history of the Internet." - - johnny karate
The Charnel Expanse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:31 AM   #372
therival58
Critical Thinker
 
therival58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 327
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but:

Apparently OBL was not armed nor cowering behind his wife, as previously stated by special ops.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-shield.html

Why the flip-flopping?
therival58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:32 AM   #373
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wyoming, NY
Posts: 6,639
Originally Posted by 1337m4n View Post
Not only that, but isn't Osama the type of guy who would've PREFERRED to be killed rather than captured?

Martyrdom and 70 virgins and all that jazz, you know?
I dunno if I agree. If that were so, how come he wasn't one of the pilots on 9/11?

The guy seemed like a chicken ****. Always hiding somewhere. Sending out secret videos about how much of a badass he was.

If he was so awesome, he would have walked out in the middle of Time Square with a dirty nuke strapped to his ass.
__________________
--------------------------------------
Stop asking me about that stupid fruity cereal...that's the OTHER rabbit!


Last edited by Sabretooth; 3rd May 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:35 AM   #374
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 18,087
Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but:

Apparently OBL was not armed nor cowering behind his wife, as previously stated by special ops.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-shield.html

Why the flip-flopping?
Not "flip-flopping", The actual truth being reported. Tends to go that way.
__________________
Join the team, Show us what your machine can do (or just contribute to a good cause)Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232

"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:54 AM   #375
000063
Philosopher
 
000063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Not America.
Posts: 5,304
Originally Posted by ladmo View Post
I am with you on this... have been in communication with some of my business partners who are located in Northern Africa and backlash is beginning to swell. Not that they liked bin laden, in fact they disliked him intensely, but the rationale of "dumping" (their word) the body at sea. Apparently, it is considered desicration to bury a Muslim in this fashion. I yield to thier knowledge but I couldn't care less about bin laden and his feelings.
It's not. Sea burial is allowed when there's a risk of desecration. I don't know if any prayers were said, but the burial itself is permitted.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:58 AM   #376
therival58
Critical Thinker
 
therival58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Not "flip-flopping", The actual truth being reported. Tends to go that way.
but the original story came from official sources, and now other official sources are telling a different version of events. why are they so different?
therival58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:01 PM   #377
The Charnel Expanse
Muse
 
The Charnel Expanse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Transition Hospital
Posts: 946
Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
but the original story came from official sources, and now other official sources are telling a different version of events. why are they so different?
Pretty sure this qualifies as one of those 'fog of war' events.
__________________
Nature abhors a vacuum, which is why my dog barks at the roomba.

"I nominate The Charnel Expanse as the greatest poster in the history of the Internet." - - johnny karate
The Charnel Expanse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:02 PM   #378
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 18,087
Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
but the original story came from official sources, and now other official sources are telling a different version of events. why are they so different?
Yes, "official sources" is media speak for anyone that looks official that will talk to them. After that it's "get it out before the next guy" and hope it's right. You don't actually think MSM is always 100% factual?
__________________
Join the team, Show us what your machine can do (or just contribute to a good cause)Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232

"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley

Last edited by DGM; 3rd May 2011 at 12:05 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:04 PM   #379
Jackanory
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,339
Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
'America after Osama bin Laden
I and my group of 9/11 victims' relatives hope we will take this opportunity to restore the US to the path of justice, not war
'

"There are not many things I know to be absolutely true, but one of them is that violence begets violence. I suppose bin Laden's death proves the point. I and my fellow members of September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows want the perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks brought to justice, but we believe justice is achieved in the courtroom, not on the battlefield.

I do not seek revenge, but rather justice – and these are two very different things. Bin Laden's death doesn't change the fact that my husband is dead. ...
"
I am sure that many relatives of those murdered by terrorists have the same opinion as above. I feel their sorrow and to a degree I agree with their wishes of a courtroom trial. Seeing these terrorists in court face to face may bring a little more comfort than seeing them spread all over the front pages of a daily rag covered in blood and bloated.

I don't quite see why you use such a quote from a clearly distressed family member in bereavement. What was your point? Why didnt you use the many live statements made by family members at GZ yesterday? Ya know the ones that cheared and clapped for OBL's death. Justice done they said. Human response to bereavement differs from person to person yet you use it here as some sort of victory flag.

Sick Jane, sick.
__________________
The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Jackanory is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:09 PM   #380
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,078
Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but:

Apparently OBL was not armed nor cowering behind his wife, as previously stated by special ops.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-shield.html

Why the flip-flopping?
The reports I heard said only that a woman had been shotwhile being used as a human shield. No mention was made of Osama being the culprit. Do you have a source for the "as previously stated by special ops"?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:12 PM   #381
Jackanory
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,339
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The reports I heard said only that a woman had been shotwhile being used as a human shield. No mention was made of Osama being the culprit. Do you have a source for the "as previously stated by special ops"?
The news changes within minutes. Press clambering over each other to get the 'scoop'. Seems that the woman is actually alive.....as to are 8 children that were also in the compound. Wait.............out! lol.
__________________
The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Jackanory is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:14 PM   #382
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing
 
beachnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dog House
Posts: 21,792
Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but:

Apparently OBL was not armed nor cowering behind his wife, as previously stated by special ops.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-shield.html

Why the flip-flopping?
Armless UBL killed? When did he get his arms removed? Does the media get anything right?
With the media - need to exercise some skepticism - wait a few days. Was he not legged, too? Have you ever worked with the media? When did they get anything right. I found you have to read, and then study things to get the correct story, or at least the correct conclusion. UBL is dead, it appears he is, that is the big picture. Are you worried about the details?

Who said special ops said anything? There are only a few people with first hand knowledge, it might be years before we know what they did. Source for your special ops quote? Was it the soldier who shot UBL? Or are you working with some hearsay?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:35 PM   #383
Scott Jurgenson
Critical Thinker
 
Scott Jurgenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by TruthersLie View Post
SJ.

You bring up the Saddam execution video. My students are woefully ignorant of the facts (in most things dealing with the US, or the events in the gulf). Most of what they know is supposition, rumor and arguments from ignorance and incredulity.
This is what kills me. There evidence was probably a few youtube videos and a blog from a guy named DemonLordPolitics or something.

I find it hilarious that the internet is this "Holy" source for anything conspiracy and people don't take the time to research anything. To this day I have a hard time watching documentaries because I am skeptical to how much they are twisting facts, chopping quotes, and using biased information without telling the other sides tale.

I posted this a while back as a thread but this shows how gullible people are. I had a heated discussion with my friend Mike about the Pentagon not being hit by a supposid Cruise Missle...i convince him that it was a plane. A few days later or whatever he calls me and says he knows it's a cruise missle now and there's no debunking this video he watched...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


I just sighed when I clicked the link he emailed me and felt I don't ever need to talk to him about 911 ever again.

Great few posts btw man, you have a pretty good spin on things.
Scott Jurgenson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:36 PM   #384
AJM8125
NWO Black Ops
Tagger
 
AJM8125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Adrift
Posts: 16,915
Next thing you know, a BBC report will surface having bin Laden dead 20 minutes before he fell.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:37 PM   #385
alienentity
Illuminator
 
alienentity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere between Here and There
Posts: 4,330
Here's a couple of comments from Globeandmail today..

DJ BALL
'So let me get this straight, the World's Biggest Boogeyman, the person they blame 911 on and the subsequent wars that have killed hundreds of thousands of people has been killled and dumped in the ocean within a day ? are you kidding me ? you monkees actually believe this crap or did Cass Sunstein send you ?
The absurd quick burial only makes sense when put in the context of "something to hide"
The rent-a mob of high school kids was a nice touch outside of the White House, it fooled some of you idiots'

Manopeace
'Pictures or it didn't happen.
They lied about WMDs, they lied about Jessica Lynch, they lied about Pat Tillman. Shame on all of you for letting them fool you again.'


Hilarious stupidity - Truthers have claimed for years that OBL was dead already, and the videos were fake.

Now they'll claim he's still alive!
__________________
Heiwa - 'Anyone suggesting that part C structure can one-way crush down part A structure is complicit to mass murder!'
000063 - 'Problem with the Truthers' theories is that anyone with enough power to pull it off doesn't need to in the first place.'
mrkinnies 'I'm not a no-planer' 'I don't believe Flight 77 hit the Pentagon'
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:48 PM   #386
Jackanory
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,339
Originally Posted by alienentity View Post
Here's a couple of comments from Globeandmail today..

DJ BALL
'So let me get this straight, the World's Biggest Boogeyman, the person they blame 911 on and the subsequent wars that have killed hundreds of thousands of people has been killled and dumped in the ocean within a day ? are you kidding me ? you monkees actually believe this crap or did Cass Sunstein send you ?
The absurd quick burial only makes sense when put in the context of "something to hide"
The rent-a mob of high school kids was a nice touch outside of the White House, it fooled some of you idiots'

Manopeace
'Pictures or it didn't happen.
They lied about WMDs, they lied about Jessica Lynch, they lied about Pat Tillman. Shame on all of you for letting them fool you again.'


Hilarious stupidity - Truthers have claimed for years that OBL was dead already, and the videos were fake.

Now they'll claim he's still alive!
Reminds me of the scenes of the fish 'Dorey' in Finding Nemo (blame the grandchildren, honest).
__________________
The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Jackanory is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:48 PM   #387
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction
 
JihadJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47,294
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
I am sure that many relatives of those murdered by terrorists have the same opinion as above. I feel their sorrow and to a degree I agree with their wishes of a courtroom trial. Seeing these terrorists in court face to face may bring a little more comfort than seeing them spread all over the front pages of a daily rag covered in blood and bloated.

I don't quite see why you use such a quote from a clearly distressed family member in bereavement.
What makes you think she is distressed? It's a very measured, unemotional piece.

Quote:
What was your point? Why didnt you use the many live statements made by family members at GZ yesterday? Ya know the ones that cheared and clapped for OBL's death. Justice done they said. Human response to bereavement differs from person to person yet you use it here as some sort of victory flag.

Sick Jane, sick.
I like the way you make up little stories about me and pretend they're from real life. Cute!
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:51 PM   #388
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wyoming, NY
Posts: 6,639
Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Next thing you know, a BBC report will surface having bin Laden dead 20 minutes before he fell.
Nom'd!
__________________
--------------------------------------
Stop asking me about that stupid fruity cereal...that's the OTHER rabbit!

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:51 PM   #389
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11,505
Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
I like the way you make up little stories about me and pretend they're from real life. Cute!
Nearly as much as your non-denials.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:53 PM   #390
Mr.Herbert
Graduate Poster
 
Mr.Herbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,402
I walked into the bar today. Asked the bartender, "Give me a Bin Laden."

He said "What's in it?"

I told him, " Two Shots and a splash of water."
Mr.Herbert is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:59 PM   #391
Furcifer
miscreant
 
Furcifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hohm
Posts: 13,379
Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
Armless UBL killed? When did he get his arms removed?
Chickens have wings.
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:59 PM   #392
Jackanory
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,339
Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
What makes you think she is distressed? It's a very measured, unemotional piece.



I like the way you make up little stories about me and pretend they're from real life. Cute!
You mean measured, reflective and sombre. Therefore not sure what you class as 'unemotional'. Getting kinda used to those differing interpretations though. lol.

Live statements of those at GZ where also very measured and unemotionalI much prefer it when you copy/paste grieving family members statements to attempt to somehow validate something you failed to erm..........validate. I asked what your point was.

I see that you didnt have one. Cool. Just Jihad being Jihad.
__________________
The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Jackanory is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:00 PM   #393
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The South!
Posts: 13,973
Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but:

Apparently OBL was not armed nor cowering behind his wife, as previously stated by special ops.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-shield.html

Why the flip-flopping?
You do realize that this happens in EVERY major event, right?

Sorry, media gt stuff wrong. People get stuff wrong.

Who ******* knows. I wasn't there. I personally don't care either way.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:08 PM   #394
Justin39640
Illuminator
 
Justin39640's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 4,201
Originally Posted by Mr.Herbert View Post
I walked into the bar today. Asked the bartender, "Give me a Bin Laden."

He said "What's in it?"

I told him, " Two Shots and a splash of water."
Now, THAT'S funny.
__________________
"I joined this forum to learn about the people who think that 9/11 was an inside job. I've learned that they believe nutty things and are not very good at explaining them." - FineWine
"The agencies involved with studying the WTC collapse no more needed to consider explosives than the police need to consider brain cancer in a shooting death." - ElMondoHummus
Justin39640 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:08 PM   #395
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The South!
Posts: 13,973
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Yes, "official sources" is media speak for anyone that looks official that will talk to them. After that it's "get it out before the next guy" and hope it's right. You don't actually think MSM is always 100% factual?
Ihate to defend closet truthers, but Mr. Brennen (Advisor to B.O. from the Homeland Security IIRC) did in fact say that in a press confrence.

But, again, it doesn't matter. Maybe that is what they saw/heard in the situation room, but when the AAR was completed, the details were more clear.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:09 PM   #396
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wyoming, NY
Posts: 6,639
The NHL announced this morning that Osama bin Laden would be out of the playoffs indefinitely with an "upper body injury".


__________________
--------------------------------------
Stop asking me about that stupid fruity cereal...that's the OTHER rabbit!

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:38 PM   #397
Justin39640
Illuminator
 
Justin39640's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 4,201
Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
Death to America okay then? Permanent war?
Wow, way to take that one way over the top. No, I was talking on an individual level (and you know that). Same applies to Americans who live violent lifestyles such as gang members.
__________________
"I joined this forum to learn about the people who think that 9/11 was an inside job. I've learned that they believe nutty things and are not very good at explaining them." - FineWine
"The agencies involved with studying the WTC collapse no more needed to consider explosives than the police need to consider brain cancer in a shooting death." - ElMondoHummus
Justin39640 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:49 PM   #398
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 6,106
Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
You're in good company on this thread!



How do you know this actually happened?

What evidence do you have that people came to "arrest him"?

What is the relevance of your comment to Andrea LeBlanc's article and sentiment?
Ahhh, JihadJane. 27,336 posts and not one without quotation marks.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:13 PM   #399
000063
Philosopher
 
000063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Not America.
Posts: 5,304
Originally Posted by Scott Jurgenson View Post
This is what kills me. There evidence was probably a few youtube videos and a blog from a guy named DemonLordPolitics or something.

I find it hilarious that the internet is this "Holy" source for anything conspiracy and people don't take the time to research anything. To this day I have a hard time watching documentaries because I am skeptical to how much they are twisting facts, chopping quotes, and using biased information without telling the other sides tale.
And then they insist that it's everyone else who needs to do the research.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:15 PM   #400
The Platypus
Graduate Poster
 
The Platypus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,883
Bin Laden getting killed just goes to show once again that conspiracy theorists will never let any event go by, without showing everyone how extremely delusional and pathetically stupid they are...

They made up so many lies about Bin Laden over the years, that now they scurry around to create more lies, to cover the lies that just fell apart on them... LOL
__________________
I'll go with the qualified experts, over some ranting guy on the internet that claims he has "the truth".

Always beware of those that overuse, capitalize and blanket themselves in them word "truth". I may not always know the truth, but i do know when i'm being lied too.

Last edited by The Platypus; 3rd May 2011 at 04:18 PM.
The Platypus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.