JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 22nd May 2011, 05:50 AM   #1
Marduk
Banned

Harold Camping Dead At 89

http://archie-templar.blogspot.com/2...ead-at-89.html
Quote:
Harold Camping died peacefully in his sleep today at six o'clock local time aged 89 years of age. He had become world famous in recent minutes for his astonishing prediction that his End Of Days was approaching.

His legacy on planet earth will be that for a period of 78 seconds on May 21st 2011 his name was entered into Google search engines worldwide more times than the words "barely", "legal"and "anal".
Ha got you, but I predict it's going to get very real for him
because
“His Judgment Cometh… And That Right Soon”

But really, what do you think should happen to him now, its a pity that being a false prophet isn't a crime thesedays, but what about his responsibility for any who killed themselves yesterday because of his broadcasts..
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Did anyone kill themselves yesterday because of his broadcasts? If so, please provide links.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance-- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." --Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Duffy Moon
Graduate Poster

http://t.co/HkRoe6I
Duffy Moon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 06:37 AM   #4
Dumb All Over

Originally Posted by Bill Glazier View Post
So, we have one story of a man in Nairobi who committed suicide in a church.

The original linked report says, "The body was found at 9 a.m. Police took it away. The man’s identity, age or reasons for taking his own life could not be immediately established."
http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Man+fou...0/-/hvpqpfz/-/

Laughable. By my count, no one committed suicide on Camping's account.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance-- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." --Steve Martin

Last edited by Dumb All Over; 22nd May 2011 at 06:43 AM.
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 06:40 AM   #5
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
Laughable. By my count, no one committed suicide on Camping's account.
A mother attempted to cut her two daughters throats on Campings account
why is that laughable ?

besides, we're only into the first few hours of the non rapture. Give it time to sink in, it'll happen, in 1994 after Campings last attempt there was at least one suicide, mind you that was in New Jersey

Last edited by Marduk; 22nd May 2011 at 06:45 AM.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 06:49 AM   #6
Dumb All Over

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
A mother attempted to cut her two daughters throats on Campings account
why is that laughable ?

It is laughable because you are trying to nudge people into a false belief that she committed suicide. She did not. She is quite alive.
Old 22nd May 2011, 06:54 AM   #7
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, so it's just an attempted double murder, not a suicide. I'm sure that makes it much better
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 06:57 AM   #8
Dumb All Over

Camping-induced suicides = ZERO.
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:00 AM   #9
Nogbad
Master Poster

Camping induced stupidity - off the scale.
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:07 AM   #10
Dumb All Over

Originally Posted by Nogbad View Post
Camping induced stupidity - off the scale.
Indeed.
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:09 AM   #11
Marduk
Banned

It is laughable because you are trying to nudge people into a false belief that she committed suicide. She did not. She is quite alive.
The link states that she survived, where did I say otherwise ?
hostility noted though, whats your vested interest in Harold Camping not facing responsibility for his actions, if you were responsible for a mother attempting to kill her daughters, where do you think you'd be right now
but what about his responsibility for any who killed themselves yesterday because of his broadcasts..
I'm expecting it, but I was asking a broader question, what percentage of culpability should he be responsible for any act caused by his deliberate scaremongering ?

Last edited by Marduk; 22nd May 2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:12 AM   #12
Magyar
Graduate Poster

I wish I had the finances to put up giant bill boards about this guys prediction, how if fell on it's face -- with the question

What makes you thing YOUR delusion is any more accurate? In front of every church

We’re not going to be disrespected,” Marlin Stutzman (R-IN) told Drucker Tuesday night. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”
GOP at it's best.
Magyar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:16 AM   #13
Dumb All Over

The link states that she survived, where did I say otherwise ?

I'm expecting it, but I was asking a broader question, what culpability should he be responsible for any act caused by his scaremongering ?
I think you are jumping the gun. By expecting someone to commit suicide because this lame prophet's prediction didn't come true is to give that prophet way more credit than he deserves. I don't think a single person will commit suicide over this. I could be wrong. I hope I am right.
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Murder of two innocent children = not laughable.

Attempted murder of two innocent children = laughable.

Is that about the gist of it?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:20 AM   #15
Dumb All Over

hostility noted though, whats your vested interest in Harold Camping not facing responsibility for his actions, if you were responsible for a mother attempting to kill her daughters, where do you think you'd be right now
My interest is in establishing facts. No one committed suicide.
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:22 AM   #16
Dumb All Over

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Attempted murder of two innocent children = laughable.
Did I say that? I don't think so.
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:33 AM   #17
Marduk
Banned

My interest is in establishing facts. No one committed suicide.
1 man killed himself after Campings 1994 debacle, the 2011 debacle was much more publicised
Camping has/had 200 million followers
you really sure that they will all be here tomorrow/next week/next month then I'd like to see your sources
I have not claimed anyone killed themselves, I'm asking what should happen to him if they do

I think you are jumping the gun.
no **** sherlock

Edited by LashL:  Edited breach of Rule 10.

Last edited by LashL; 22nd May 2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:50 AM   #18
kedo1981
Master Poster

The point being DAO, Camping will never have to answer for anything because he uses “Jesus” as a punctuation mark.
"Prove all things, hold fast that which is good" (I Thessalonians 5:21)

I readily admit I don’t know enough to say for sure that there is no God.
But I do know enough so say that anyone who claims to know the mind and will of a being such as God is a liar.
I have no problem with Jesus, but his fan club sucks!
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:54 AM   #19
Dumb All Over

1 man killed himself after Campings 1994 debacle, the 2011 debacle was much more publicised
you really sure that they will all be here tomorrow/next week/next month then I'd like to see your sources
Statistically, it would be hard to imagine that, out of 200 million people, some won't die within the next month. It may end up being true that one or two of these deaths may be caused by suicide. Only then can we begin to establish whether the suicides are in any way attributable to the actions of this goofball preacher.
Quote:
I have not claimed anyone killed themselves, I'm asking what should happen to him if they do

no **** sherlock
Please be careful to adhere to the MA when masking words.

Last edited by LashL; 22nd May 2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: To properly mask profanity in quote.
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:01 AM   #20
Minadin
Hiding his Head in the Sane

I'm kinda pissed that the rapture didn't come yesterday. Not because I didn't get raptured, I think we all knew that wasn't going to happen, but my very religious buddy who definitely would have been raptured, said I could have his PS3 if he got whisked away.

Screw you, Harold Camping.

Support the democratic freedom of the people of Iran.
Minadin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:02 AM   #21
Marduk
Banned

Statistically, it would be hard to imagine that, out of 200 million people, some won't die within the next month. It may end up being true that one or two of these deaths may be caused by suicide. Only then can we begin to establish whether the suicides are in any way attributable to the actions of this goofball preacher.
and when that happens this thread will still be here, I'm figuring that there's statistically quite a few who just haven't been discovered yet, case in point the double attempted murdering mother would not have been discovered yet if the home owner hadn't come home unexpectedly and foiled her, that would be 2 murders and one suicide

Not everyone who kills themselves does it in a public place, the reverse is actually true.
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:14 AM   #22
Dumb All Over

...case in point the double attempted murdering mother would not have been discovered yet if the home owner hadn't come home unexpectedly and foiled her, that would be 2 murders and one suicide
I cannot necessarily agree with this. I believe all throats had been cut before the home owner arrived. Did you see her mugshot? There is not so much as even a band-aid covering her wound. Pretty lame suicide attempt if you ask me.
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:24 AM   #23
ApolloGnomon
Aluminum Tripod

http://archie-templar.blogspot.com/2...ead-at-89.html

Ha got you, but I predict it's going to get very real for him
because
“His Judgment Cometh… And That Right Soon”

But really, what do you think should happen to him now, its a pity that being a false prophet isn't a crime thesedays, but what about his responsibility for any who killed themselves yesterday because of his broadcasts..
His death is reported on one blog by a comic book writer? And that's the only reference I can find.

I'm throwing the BS flag on the report of Camping's death unless someone can come up with better proof than one random blog.

"I'm ignoring the rest of your foaming rant. "
JayUtah
ApolloGnomon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:24 AM   #24
Marduk
Banned

I cannot necessarily agree with this. I believe all throats had been cut before the home owner arrived. Did you see her mugshot? There is not so much as even a band-aid covering her wound. Pretty lame suicide attempt if you ask me.
who do you think called the ambulance.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post
His death is reported on one blog by a comic book writer? And that's the only reference I can find.
I'm throwing the BS flag on the report of Camping's death unless someone can come up with better proof than one random blog.
Dude, the blog intimated it was a spoof by its content being generally humourous
Quote:
His legacy on planet earth will be that for a period of 78 seconds on May 21st 2011 his name was entered into Google search engines worldwide more times than the words "barely", "legal"and "anal"
I stated it was ficticious
Ha got you,
I'll leave it there.......
apart from
Got you twice, please let me know where you'll be posting in April

Last edited by Marduk; 22nd May 2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:27 AM   #25
steve s
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post

Ditto. As soon as I saw the thread title, I typed Harold Camping Dead into google and came back with nada.

Steve S
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:30 AM   #26
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Ditto. As soon as I saw the thread title, I typed Harold Camping Dead into google and came back with nada.

Steve S
oi vey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoof
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:34 AM   #27
Dumb All Over

who do you think called the ambulance.
I'm guessing it was the homeowner. Am I right?
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:36 AM   #28
Marduk
Banned

I'm guessing it was the homeowner. Am I right?
Yes, after coming home unexpectedly and finding the three of them in her garage, she was apparently a friend and the Mother had gone there specifically because she thought it would be empty
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:40 AM   #29
steve s
Illuminator

D'oh. I didn't bother reading the article linked to in the OP because of a content warning.
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:42 AM   #30
Dumb All Over

Yes, after coming home unexpectedly and finding the three of them in her garage, she was apparently a friend and the Mother had gone there specifically because she thought it would be empty
But what you are intimating is that if the homeowner had not shown up, we would now have three dead bodies. This is the part I can't necessarily agree with, given that the dastardly act had been committed before the homeowner arrived, and that the previously inflicted wounds didn't kill anyone.
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:48 AM   #31
Marduk
Banned

But what you are intimating is that if the homeowner had not shown up, we would now have three dead bodies. .
I'm not intimating anything, those details were in the news report,

This is the part I can't necessarily agree with, given that the dastardly act had been committed before the homeowner arrived, and that the previously inflicted wounds didn't kill anyone.
The children were taken away by ambulance, I guess it was just a tiny cut

you want to ask someone qualified what will likely result from untended box cutter wounds to childrens necks ?
I'll find you a doctor if you like !
the mother is on a million bail, so yanno, she'll probably get off with a few hours community service

Hail weary traveller
what planet are you from
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:54 AM   #32
Dumb All Over

I'm not intimating anything, those details were in the news report,
The news report said that if the homeowner had not shown up we would now have three dead bodies?!? I must have missed that part.
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:56 AM   #33
Marduk
Banned

The news report said that if the homeowner had not shown up we would now have three dead bodies?!? I must have missed that part.
definitely missed something

oh yes
the Rapture
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:57 AM   #34
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Source? I think you're actually misinterpreting something that his followers were saying, but I'd like to know what you're basing this statement on rather than guess.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:02 AM   #35
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Did I say that? I don't think so.
You've come dangerously close to doing so. It is clear that Harold Camping's nonsense has led to a horrible event that will, literally and psychologically, scar two young girls for life. The fact that they didn't die as a result of their mother's fear driven actions doesn't make the event count any less as evidence that Harold Camping has caused harm to others.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:02 AM   #36
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Harold Camping's Excuse:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
木戸舞台は、無線メッセージを送信しませんでした
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:03 AM   #37
Dumb All Over

definitely missed something
Please enlighten me. Show me where in the report it says we would have three dead bodies had the homeowner not shown up.
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:06 AM   #38
Dumb All Over

You've come dangerously close to doing so.
Nope, sorry. Didn't say it. Didn't come close to meaning it.
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:06 AM   #39
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Camping induced credit card fraud... still being computed...
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:11 AM   #40
Dumb All Over

The fact that they didn't die as a result of their mother's fear driven actions doesn't make the event count any less as evidence that Harold Camping has caused harm to others.
This thread was opened on the presumption that Camping's recent actions have caused or will cause someone to commit suicide. So far, there are no reports that anyone has done so. I believe none will and hope to FSM I'm right.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy