JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 23rd January 2012, 05:01 PM   #921
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
Therefore your default position is that all deities exist?

Really???
OCaptain does not answer questions, it seems. This thread is progressing in an all too familiar fashion.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:01 PM   #922
joobz
Tergiversator

Really???
Perhaps we've discovered the source of dark matter.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:02 PM   #923
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
It would take a lifetime for an atheist to investigate every god that mankind has invented. Let's leave it to the theists to come up with proof. I won't be holding my breath, they have had thousands of years and not a shred has been forthcoming.
Well to be fair, atheists haven't been demanding proof until comparatively recently....
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:03 PM   #924
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by OCaptain View Post
Well to be fair, atheists haven't been demanding proof until comparatively recently....
No. Atheists have always been asking for proof. We will take it that you are not going to answer any questions. Par for the course with people like you.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:03 PM   #925
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Am posting on an iPod. Give me longer than 10 minutes. Rome wasn't built in a day, you know.

Unlike Nazareth which was zapped into existence at a stroke by writers of the New Testament.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:05 PM   #926
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

OCaptain does not answer questions, it seems. This thread is progressing in an all too familiar fashion.
Originally Posted by joobz View Post

Arer we doing 'excoriation' yet?

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:05 PM   #927
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Go on then. Tell us which god you believe in, assuming that you believe in a god, and perhaps provide some proof of said god's existence.
No deity can be proven to exist using current tools and the scientific method.

I do think I remember advising against prejudging people...
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:06 PM   #928
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

No. Atheists have always been asking for proof. We will take it that you are not going to answer any questions. Par for the course with people like you.
See? Disrespect in spades, for no good reason.

Ma'am, there is noone like me. I am unique.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:08 PM   #929
dafydd
Banned

No one. Peter Noone was a singer. You are not interested in a real discussion. Pointing out that you do not answer questions is the truth, not disrespect. If you are here to troll, just say so. Let me try again. In an earlier post you seemed to imply that you believe that all deities exist. Is that true?

Last edited by dafydd; 23rd January 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:12 PM   #930
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

That's not what the writers of the New Testament said.

I do think I remember advising against prejudging people...

How about post-judging you as someone who has no interest in presenting evidence for why we know the New Testament writers told the truth?

Old 23rd January 2012, 05:13 PM   #931
dafydd
Banned

How about post-judging you as someone who has no interest in presenting evidence for why we know the New Testament writers told the truth?
That seems to be the case. Doesn't he have anything better to do?
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:17 PM   #932
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

A refusal to answer questions pertinent to the topic is a good enough reason for me.

Nah, DOC gets everything wrong too.

Old 23rd January 2012, 05:18 PM   #933
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Really???
No, my position is that the current state of scientific inquiry and observation is incapable of addressing the existence or nonexistence of any deity.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:18 PM   #934
SezMe
post-pre-born

You keep using that word ... erroneously. In the context of deities, it is not a matter of proof, it is a matter of reliable, verifiable evidence. Again, evidence, not proof.

Now, can we have some evidence for your favorite deity ... and you can't use our favorite deity, Akhenaten.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:21 PM   #935
dafydd
Banned

No, my position is that the current state of scientific inquiry and observation is incapable of addressing the existence or nonexistence of any deity.
Religion is the very antithesis of science. Why should scientists waste their time investigating imaginary sky daddies? They have better things do to, one example being inventing computers, which you are using to post here. Which deity or deities do you believe in? It's a simple enough question, why won't you answer it?

Last edited by dafydd; 23rd January 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:22 PM   #936
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

How do you expect this conversation to go from here on? I am not here to provide a target at which to snipe and better about yourself. I am not a troll. I suppose I am more used to civil discourse, even among people who are theists and atheists.

Was hoping to find that here.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:24 PM   #937
dafydd
Banned

How do you expect this conversation to go from here on? I am not here to provide a target at which to snipe and better about yourself. I am not a troll. I suppose I am more used to civil discourse, even among people who are theists and atheists.

Discourse usually involves both asking and answering questions. It is very uncivil of you not to answer questions. I expect the conversation to go on with you telling me which god you believe in and then perhaps providing some proof that the writers of the New Testament were telling the truth. That is what this thread is supposed to be about. Asking you questions is not sniping.

Last edited by dafydd; 23rd January 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:25 PM   #938
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

I am fully capable of managing my own time. Fear not.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:26 PM   #939
joobz
Tergiversator

And yet, we may soon be able to prove/disprove the existence of other universes.

Like I said, I will be happy to entertain the concept of god, once a reason to do so presents itself.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:27 PM   #940
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

A refusal to answer questions pertinent to the topic is a good enough reason for me.

Nah, DOC gets everything wrong too.
Show me something of substance I've gotten demonstrably wrong (other than in my hasty typing confusing theists with Deists? Benjamin Franklin would be so offended)
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:29 PM   #941
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
You keep using that word ... erroneously. In the context of deities, it is not a matter of proof, it is a matter of reliable, verifiable evidence. Again, evidence, not proof.

Now, can we have some evidence for your favorite deity ... and you can't use our favorite deity, Akhenaten.
Sez you
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:29 PM   #942
dafydd
Banned

Show me something of substance I've gotten demonstrably wrong (other than in my hasty typing confusing theists with Deists? Benjamin Franklin would be so offended)
You will have to present something of substance first. All I have seen so far is you stroking your ego.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:31 PM   #943
dafydd
Banned

Sez you
What a well thought out reply. Gosh, I'm impressed. Walt Whitman would have been proud of you. Do you have anything meaningful to say about the topic of this thread?
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:32 PM   #944
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Religion is the very antithesis of science. Why should scientists waste their time investigating imaginary sky daddies? They have better things do to, one example being inventing computers, which you are using to post here. Which deity or deities do you believe in? It's a simple enough question, why won't you answer it?
You're erroneously conflating scientist and atheist. I'm sure you didn't mean to, so I'll give you a very long opportunity to correct that.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:34 PM   #945
dafydd
Banned

You're erroneously conflating scientist and atheist. I'm sure you didn't mean to, so I'll give you a very long opportunity to correct that.
A short one will suffice. I was pointing out that scientists do not waste their time investigating gods, whether they are atheists or not. Faraday was a devout Christian, and he invented the electric motor, he didn't spend his time trying to prove that god exists. Stop being so disingenuous. What about the thread topic? Anything to add or are you just very bored?

Last edited by dafydd; 23rd January 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:37 PM   #946
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I am fully capable of managing my own time. Fear not.
Sez you

Do you have any evidence that the New Testament writers told the truth?

Old 23rd January 2012, 05:38 PM   #947
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Dark matter? Do you believe in dark energy too? Brane theory? Talk about woo!?
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:39 PM   #948
dafydd
Banned

Ah! The blessing of the ignore button! I will keep an eye on others quoting you just in case you decide to join in instead of flaunting your ego.

Last edited by dafydd; 23rd January 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:41 PM   #949
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Do you have any evidence that the New Testament writers told the truth?
Akhenaten, I'm prepared to ask you - to what truth do you refer? Because, based on how this thread has progressed for me, I'm expecting less than a civil exchange, and life is too short for that.

You keep trying to get me to say something about miracles, which I've no interest in. As I said, I'm not DOC, so please don't lump me in with him/her.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:41 PM   #950
joobz
Tergiversator

I think you are getting an unfair shake here.

It is wrong to assume that you are supporting the OP as you have not made any claim that you agree with it (as far as I can tell).

However, note, that as such, none of your posts have really been on topic of this thread, which is whether or not we know the New testament writers told the truth. So, there are some who probably believe your posts are being intentially derailing. Hence, the ire.

I assume you were entering this thread with good intentions to try and short circuit the dogpile that occurs in this thread.

Yet, such a view would be ignoring the history of this thread. The OP started with a positive claim (see thread title).

It is the conviction of many here (myself included) that all we can say is that the New testament writers Believed they were telling the truth. NOT that what they said was actually true.

The evidence presented by the OP is nothing but a series of logical fallacies, each one having been sufficiently refuted. Since then, it has become a game for many . DOC will present "new evidence" or rehash out old arguments. To which many will respond with many and varied retorts.

This isn't actual discussion. It's a cat toy for all participants.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:44 PM   #951
Amazer
Graduate Poster

It's becoming increasingly clear that you don't believe in answering questions though.
Amazer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:48 PM   #952
joobz
Tergiversator

Actually, I do not subscribe to any of the theorized "dark" stuff. I neither accept or reject it. I simply do not know enough to make a conclusion on it.

Both conveniently cosmological describe observations made. But Caloric, aether,
and phlogisten all explained observations as well. It wasn't until we had more data that we determined the better theory.

So, as far as science goes. I think Dark matter and Dark Energy make useful theoretical placeholders until (if) they are refuted.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:54 PM   #953
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

I think you are getting an unfair shake here.

It is wrong to assume that you are supporting the OP as you have not made any claim that you agree with it (as far as I can tell).

However, note, that as such, none of your posts have really been on topic of this thread, which is whether or not we know the New testament writers told the truth. So, there are some who probably believe your posts are being intentially derailing. Hence, the ire.

I assume you were entering this thread with good intentions to try and short circuit the dogpile that occurs in this thread.

Yet, such a view would be ignoring the history of this thread. The OP started with a positive claim (see thread title).

It is the conviction of many here (myself included) that all we can say is that the New testament writers Believed they were telling the truth. NOT that what they said was actually true.

The evidence presented by the OP is nothing but a series of logical fallacies, each one having been sufficiently refuted. Since then, it has become a game for many . DOC will present "new evidence" or rehash out old arguments. To which many will respond with many and varied retorts.

This isn't actual discussion. It's a cat toy for all participants.
Thanks for the surprising candor and welcoming spirit. Would you recommend a good thread where I can find the kind of civil, intellectual discussion I am seeking?
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:55 PM   #954
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Akhenaten, I'm prepared to ask you - to what truth do you refer?

The truth about the resurrection will do. Are the accounts in the synoptic gospels the truth?

Because, based on how this thread has progressed for me, I'm expecting less than a civil exchange, and life is too short for that.

This thread has progressed as it has for you because you refuse to address the topic.

You keep trying to get me to say something about miracles, which I've no interest in.

It appears that you don't have any interest in anything the New Testament writers said.

Why are you here?

As I said, I'm not DOC, so please don't lump me in with him/her.

You need to stop the waddling and quacking and stuff before that happens.

Old 23rd January 2012, 05:56 PM   #955
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
It's becoming increasingly clear that you don't believe in answering questions though.
I, like you, answer questions I deem worthy of an answer and constructive.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:56 PM   #956
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Thanks for the surprising candor and welcoming spirit. Would you recommend a good thread where I can find the kind of civil, intellectual discussion I am seeking?

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=224444

Old 23rd January 2012, 05:58 PM   #957
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

The truth about the resurrection will do. Are the accounts in the synoptic gospels the truth?

This thread has progressed as it has for you because you refuse to address the topic.

It appears that you don't have any interest in anything the New Testament writers said.

Why are you here?

You need to stop the waddling and quacking and stuff before that happens.
Why in the world are you going on about resurrections and miracles? How is any of that scientific???

But, if those things are the only "truths" you're interested in, then I will find nothing of interest here, and you will not find a new cat toy to play with in me.

Sorry to disappoint.
Old 23rd January 2012, 06:09 PM   #958
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Why in the world are you going on about resurrections and miracles?
Have you read the thread at all?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2012, 06:10 PM   #959
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Because those are the things that the New Testament writers wrote about.

Haven't you read it yet?

How is any of that scientific???

Most of us don't think it is and that's why we keep asking for evidence.

Do you have any?

But, if those things are the only "truths" you're interested in, then I will find nothing of interest here, and you will not find a new cat toy to play with in me.

I already knew the former to be true and it's too late to prevent the latter.

Sorry to disappoint.

Not at all. DOC can't be here all the time so it's nice of you to stand in for a while.

Old 23rd January 2012, 06:12 PM   #960
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Resume View Post

Have you read the thread at all?

There's nothing to indicate he even got all the way through the title.

JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts