JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot

Old 4th July 2011, 03:19 PM   #1
quarky
Banned

Why bigfoot?

Look at all the bigfoot threads on the first page of the paranormal forum!

What the heck?
Is this anthropomorphic chauvinism at work?
We're obsessed with bigfoot because he is quazi-human?

Meanwhile nobody even notices all these metallic lady bugs of late.
Upon closer inspection it is obvious that they are alien probes.
yet I remain a voice from the wilderness.

I shudder to think what paranormal stuff lurks in the microscopic realm.

This is a wake up call.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Nursedan
Critical Thinker

I think I'll hit snooze.
Old 5th July 2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Hecubas
Critical Thinker

Because Bigfoot is sexy that's why! (NSFW but funny as heck)
Hecubas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Vortigern99
Philosopher

Bigfoot is an easy form of paranormal belief to retreat into, even when one's skeptical senses are otherwise functioning properly. On the surface the idea seems plausible, at least -- that an undiscovered primate has been loping about the remote forests of North America without being conclusively catalogued.

A number of people who have an interest in apes, in human origins, and in the thrilling sense of mystery associated with being in the woods go through a phase in which they consider the possibility of bigfoot's existence.

It isn't until very close, critical examination of all the evidence over an extended period of time that the case for bigfoot collapses. Some people, unfortunately, and either incapable of or unwilling to entertain the level of critical thought required to reject the proposition as untenable.

Some people attach an emotional thrill to the idea of bigfoot, or to the exciting endeavor of bigfoot research. These people find it difficult if not impossible to seriously consider the animal as the impossible fantasy/folk-tale creation that it is.

Many of us involved in the bigfoot threads used to believe in bigfoot, or are otherwise interested in one of the subject's many side-hobbies: forestry, zoology, primatology, special make-up and prosthetic effects, film and photography, anthropology and folk tales. Once a skeptic moves past his or her belief in the creature itself, debating others who are still entrenched in the idea becomes an engaging pursuit in its own right.

I think that answers the thread question.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2011, 04:45 PM   #5
HarryHenderson
Muse

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
Bigfoot...<snipped for brevity only>...I think that answers the thread question.
An exceptional post. Two thumbs up. It is perhaps also a good 'case study' on How Fast a Ridiculer Can Be OWNED By His Ridiculee™.
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

People love the unknown. They love to entertain the thought of an unknown, hairy man-beast living in the woods. Claiming to have seen one accomplishes two goals: You get the wonderful feeling of "getting one over" on people, and if it happens to be highly educated, intellectual types, all the better. And: You become part of an "elite club". How many times have you heard a footer say "you can never understand until you see one yourself" They love the feeling that they have seen something few have witnessed. I believe this is enough impetus to cause them to believe they have seen something that they really have not.

At one time I believed in the possibility of Bigfoots existence. It was, oddly enough, the arguments put forth for his existence by the footers themselves that convinced me otherwise. All one has to do is research this stuff with a logical mind, and you will see that Bigfoot cannot exist. The funny part is, I still enjoy the subject just as much, just from a different perspective.
Deacondark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Vortigern99
Philosopher

Thanks for the thumbs-up, Harry. (Hey -- I wonder if BF has opposable thumbs? )

Some people, unfortunately, are either incapable of, or unwilling to, entertain the level of critical thought required to reject the proposition as untenable.
[Italicized corrections.]

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2011, 07:14 PM   #8
atpeace

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
Look at all the bigfoot threads on the first page of the paranormal forum!

What the heck?
Is this anthropomorphic chauvinism at work?
We're obsessed with bigfoot because he is quazi-human?

Meanwhile nobody even notices all these metallic lady bugs of late.
Upon closer inspection it is obvious that they are alien probes.
yet I remain a voice from the wilderness.

I shudder to think what paranormal stuff lurks in the microscopic realm.

This is a wake up call.
Actually bigfoot has a heck of a publicist. The creature is actually a bit of a narcissist. Despite the false theory to the contrary Bf love the camera: "Monkey With Camera Takes Self-Portrait" (Google it)
atpeace is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2011, 11:26 PM   #9
quarky
Banned

good answers. I guess I find it odd that there's such a shortage of other large blurry animals. Are mastadons simply too big to believe in?
Why no dodo reports fro Oz for instance?
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 01:51 AM   #10
atpeace

good answers. I guess I find it odd that there's such a shortage of other large blurry animals. Are mastadons simply too big to believe in?
Ummm...I believe in mastodons and dodos too, not bigfoot. But then again I'm wacky like that sometimes
atpeace is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 02:18 AM   #11
atpeace

P.S. I also believe in large blurry animals. I've seen quite a few and have even created several myself over the years- not being much of a photographer. But alas, all the animals were still known, proven to exist, and even classified despite the poor photography. Bigfoot? NOT.
Old 6th July 2011, 02:42 AM   #12
welshdean
2012 6Nations Grand Slam
-------CHAMPIONS-------

The thing that intrigues me most about this subject is, what is the plural of bigfoot? Bigfeet? Bigfoots?

FTR the (felated) bigfoot in the video above should be called a 'Big-Foot and a half'.
Poe's Law!!! im christian if we came from apes how come were not hairy and have a big mouth and did we end up looking like we do know and besides there isnt any serious proof of apes they showd a video saying an ape was wondering around in the forest that thing looked exactly like a costume that i had saw at a store know one ever cought an ape (spelling/punctuation by original author)
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 03:06 AM   #13
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
The thing that intrigues me most about this subject is, what is the plural of bigfoot? Bigfeet? Bigfoots?

I've given this matter a fair bit of thought, as it happens. Here's what I've thunk so far.

Since each critter presumably has two feet, and both of them are likely to be the same size (big) the whole 'bigfoot' thing is a misnomer. One critter is more properly called a 'bigfeet'.

Thus it follows that a flock of them would be known as 'bigfeets'.

I also think it seems right and proper that bigfeets found North of the US/Canada border should be referred to as big30.5centimetres.

FTR the (felated) bigfoot in the video above should be called a 'Big-Foot and a half'.

Ooh, I wouldn't know anything about that.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2011, 03:09 AM   #14
atpeace

bolding mine ap
to each his own? I prefer bigfoot singular and plural because they say he sounds like an oriental man when talking. No, only because i think bigfeet sounds weird and since a Bigfoot (single animal) has two feet then Bigfoot could also suffice for multiple feet (multiple animals)? But I've heard it all three ways and who cares what I think
Old 6th July 2011, 04:22 PM   #15
jhunter1163
Beer-swilling semiliterate

Originally Posted by Deacondark View Post
At one time I believed in the possibility of Bigfoots existence. It was, oddly enough, the arguments put forth for his existence by the footers themselves that convinced me otherwise. All one has to do is research this stuff with a logical mind, and you will see that Bigfoot cannot exist. The funny part is, I still enjoy the subject just as much, just from a different perspective.
I grew up in Washington state, and spent many an hour in my youth swapping stories of Sasquatch. I must have logged 10,000 miles hiking on the Forest Service roads around Spokane looking for the big fella. I never saw him.

As I grew older, and began to think a little more critically, I came to understand how unlikely it was that Bigfoot actually exists. This was disappointing to me; an icon of my youth crashing down, if you will. I still have a soft spot for the big guy, though. If Sasquatch were proven to exist, no one would be happier about it than me.

I'm not holding my breath, though.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2011, 01:30 AM   #16
welshdean
2012 6Nations Grand Slam
-------CHAMPIONS-------

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I've given this matter a fair bit of thought, as it happens. Here's what I've thunk so far.

Since each critter presumably has two feet, and both of them are likely to be the same size (big) the whole 'bigfoot' thing is a misnomer. One critter is more properly called a 'bigfeet'.

Thus it follows that a flock of them would be known as 'bigfeets'.

I also think it seems right and proper that bigfeets found North of the US/Canada border should be referred to as big30.5centimetres.
Thanks for clearing it up. As a progressive European, I think I'll go for 'Big305mm', simply because it's easier to visualise.
Poe's Law!!! im christian if we came from apes how come were not hairy and have a big mouth and did we end up looking like we do know and besides there isnt any serious proof of apes they showd a video saying an ape was wondering around in the forest that thing looked exactly like a costume that i had saw at a store know one ever cought an ape (spelling/punctuation by original author)
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2011, 03:16 AM   #17
blobru
Philosopher

I think bigfoot's proximity to us zoologically -- often described as a "missing link" between man and apes (by believers who don't realize there's no such thing) -- and all that implies may give him the inside track on other cryptids (sorry mastodon, but you & i both know you're just a fuzzy elephant). He's not only an undiscovered animal, one source of his appeal, but an animal with a more or less 'human' intelligence, something we might even communicate with ("dude, you stink!"), which also makes him appealing in the same way that aliens, gods and robots are. Maybe. (a sort of anthropomorphic chauvinism, as you say)

"Never mind. I can't read." -- Hokulele to the Easter Bunny

Last edited by blobru; 7th July 2011 at 03:23 AM.
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2011, 06:47 AM   #18
quarky
Banned

There must be some sort of amphibious gorilla. Or a dolphin with hands and fur. I'm off to look for it.
Old 7th July 2011, 06:58 AM   #19
blobru
Philosopher

I said in a largely incoherent post elsewhere that if the reds ever get the blues, they'll rule the world. What I meant to say, of course, was if dolphins ever get hands and fur, or gorillas amphibious, they'll rule the world (or get the blues, i forget which -- dammit, i really ought to think these things through before posting)...

Bon voyage, q.

"Never mind. I can't read." -- Hokulele to the Easter Bunny
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2011, 10:22 AM   #20
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

There must be some sort of amphibious gorilla. Or a dolphin with hands and fur. I'm off to look for it.
According to the folks over at "Facebook/Findbigfoot" Bigfoot is an amphibious gorilla. That's why he has a hooded nose. He also runs really fast on all fours, and can run along tiny tree branches without breaking them, even though he weighs 800 lbs. Magical fella this Bigfoot guy.
Deacondark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2011, 11:27 AM   #21
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Didn't the guy who invented Bigfoot admit he fabricated the whole thing?

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2011, 12:14 PM   #22
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

He never admitted it, his family did after his death. THey even showed the carved wooden feet that he used to fool people. His name was Ray Wallace.
Old 7th July 2011, 01:09 PM   #23
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

Well, there are reports of sightings of the Thylacine and the Moa, both real, but extinct animals. There is also the Orang Pendek, which is a cryptid.
Not many photos, though, blurry or otherwise.
The somewhat blurry photo below, however, was taken in 1975 and proved to be a real animal, previously only rumored to exist: the King Cheetah. The thing to take away from this, of course, is the difference in time factor one can expect in moving from rumor to documentation between an animal that actually exists and one that doesn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ep1107.jpg (83.2 KB, 323 views)
Psi Baba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2011, 01:52 PM   #24
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Deacondark View Post
He never admitted it, his family did after his death. THey even showed the carved wooden feet that he used to fool people. His name was Ray Wallace.
OK, so I guess the next obvious question is, why are people still looking for it?

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2011, 02:04 PM   #25
parnassus
Master Poster

in bigfootery, if you confess to being a hoaxer, then you cannot be believed because you are dishonest. And your family too. or something.
Old 7th July 2011, 02:20 PM   #26
C_Felix
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Didn't the guy who invented Bigfoot admit he fabricated the whole thing?
One man invented bigfoot?

Didn't the Native Americans have BF legends and stories?
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2011, 02:23 PM   #27
Vortigern99
Philosopher

It's easy for a believer to dismiss a posthumous revelation of hoaxing by the alleged hoaxer's family.

The thinking goes along the lines of: "Just because they say he made the whole thing up does not prove that he did."

Also, a belief system that arose independently of one man's hoaxed evidence is not likely to crumble when that hoax is revealed, especially by third parties uninvolved in the alleged hoax.

Old 7th July 2011, 02:36 PM   #28
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
in bigfootery, if you confess to being a hoaxer, then you cannot be believed because you are dishonest. And your family too. or something.
Ray Wallace never confessed.

Originally Posted by C_Felix
Didn't the Native Americans have BF legends and stories?
Maybe.
Old 7th July 2011, 03:35 PM   #29
Mr. Purple
Some Other Guy on Some Other Job

Originally Posted by Psi Baba View Post
The somewhat blurry photo below, however, was taken in 1975 and proved to be a real animal, previously only rumored to exist: the King Cheetah. The thing to take away from this, of course, is the difference in time factor one can expect in moving from rumor to documentation between an animal that actually exists and one that doesn't.
Just for clarity, the King Cheetah is not a different species, but a "color /pattern morph" of the known species. Finding previously undocumented color mutations happens (relatively) all the time with "lower" vertebrates (especially squamates).

Back to the whole bigfoot thing...
Old 7th July 2011, 10:51 PM   #30
welshdean
2012 6Nations Grand Slam
-------CHAMPIONS-------

I can't see the porpoise.
Old 8th July 2011, 05:09 AM   #31
quarky
Banned

Dolphin embryos have hand like appendages. maybe if they took anti-thalidomide, they could have hands and make weapons.
Old 8th July 2011, 08:43 AM   #32
welshdean
2012 6Nations Grand Slam
-------CHAMPIONS-------

Dolphin embryos have hand like appendages. maybe if they took anti-thalidomide, they could have hands and make weapons.
Quarky, is that in reply to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarky
I can't see the porpoise.
Old 8th July 2011, 02:05 PM   #33
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I think it's because most everyone owns a reasonably normal foot or two. The idea of an unreasonably abnormal foot is a fairly intriguing concept to most average foot owners. It helps us feel better about ourselves.
Here, ask nearly any woman on the street if she thinks her feet are big, or heaven forbid, "too big" and you'll get an idea of how foot obsessed a people we are.
A Big Foot? A foot bigger than mine? Well that I have to see!
Or there's an abnormal number of goofy people obsessed with woodly bound overtly sized bipod woo.
How's that?
Old 8th July 2011, 05:36 PM   #34
quarky
Banned

Its good.
Old 8th July 2011, 08:45 PM   #35
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

Out of all the various cryptoids, paranormal entities, anal-probing aliens and chupacabras out there, Bigfoot is the one I really want to be real.

I can't explain why, but the thought of our hairy buddy running around in the woods, frightening hikers and avoiding trail cameras really appeals to me. When I was a kid I always read books about mysterious animals like Squatch and Nessie and what not. As I grew up, I realized that there was precious little evidence that these guys were actually real. I still enjoyed "what if" type talk with my friends about Bigfoot. We knew he didn't exist, but as a subject of discussion, he provided us with hours of entertainment.

And then Bigfoot got big. Now I can hardly turn on the TV without seeing some fool like Matt Moneymaker talking about these critters as if we have years of actual data concerning their physical characteristics, likes and dislikes, shopping habits, etc. This guy and the other knobs on his show talk about Sasquatch the way most people talk about raccoons or housecats.

"If it does 'this' it's a Bigfoot for sure."
"This is Bigfoot territory for sure."
"Bigfoot loves this kind of terrain."

Hell, they even refer to Bobo the Giant Indian as an "Expert Field Caller". He was hooting in the woods in Oregon and going on about his "success rate" with a certain type of call. WTF? What success rate, Chief? Unless you have some footage (get it?) of a love struck Sasquatch breaking cover and humping your leg in response to your Indian Love Call, you have no success rate. Hunters call turkeys all the time; the reason for this is to get them within shotgun range and blow their heads off. Bobo's calling seems to consist of screaming in the woods and then crapping himself when a coyote Bigfoot answers him.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Now I don't even want to entertain hypotheticals with people for fear they'll lump me in with this bunch of clowns.

Never fails; it happened with punk rock, motorcycles and cocaine, once the general public finds out how much fun something is, it's ruined forever. Now even Bigfoot has been ruined.
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2011, 11:13 PM   #36
quarky
Banned

Don't give up, Howie.

I thing BF might be a hybrid zombie werewolf.
Or Santa Claus.

If we believe hard enough, he/she will come.

(what's that noise outside?)

And the smell!

BF cologne. You know you want some.
Old 9th July 2011, 02:16 PM   #37
Humes fork
Banned

Bigfoot is an easy form of paranormal belief to retreat into, even when one's skeptical senses are otherwise functioning properly. On the surface the idea seems plausible, at least -- that an undiscovered primate has been loping about the remote forests of North America without being conclusively catalogued.
Am I the only one who have trouble with taking belief in Bigfoot seriously? I can understand if people get duped into believing that homeopathy works, given that even public healthcare utilizes it, but come on, Bigfoot! That's the kind of stuff that I'd find in the Donald Duck comics I read as a kid.
Humes fork is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2011, 02:23 PM   #38
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

What I dislike about bigfoot fanatics is their penchant for turning any sighting of any kind of unknown furry creature into a sighting of a "Bigfoot-like Creature". So now instead a bunch of disparate and disagreeing sightings of feline-like, canine-like, lupoid-like, ape-like things with claws, without claws, with fangs, without fangs, with glowing eyes, with red eyes, with red hair, brown hair, black hair, little hair, large foreheads, no foreheads, webbed appendages, human-like appendages, and so on and so forth they can simply give all of these sightings a single common label and claim there's thousands of people all over the country "reporting" the same creature.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2011, 02:34 PM   #39
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Humes fork View Post
Am I the only one who have trouble with taking belief in Bigfoot seriously? I can understand if people get duped into believing that homeopathy works, given that even public healthcare utilizes it, but come on, Bigfoot! That's the kind of stuff that I'd find in the Donald Duck comics I read as a kid.
Many Bigfoot believers think that homeopathy is bunk woo nonsense.
Old 9th July 2011, 03:16 PM   #40
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Humes fork View Post
Well there is a film of the big girl, and a 'scientist' says she's the real deal.
What more do you need?

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal