JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 8th January 2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Why is there still a Caps Lock key on keyboards?

Really? Why?

What (besides ransom notes and hundred year old telegrams) has ever been written regularly in all capital letters? It's considered shouting on the Internet, it's very annoying when you're playing games, so why does the most useless key on the keyboard continue to exist?
Old 8th January 2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Well, it turns out that the filter here won't let me answer you in all caps...

The reason is the same as why they still have the QWERTY arrangement.

About my avatar.

Last edited by Sam.I.Am; 8th January 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Blackadder
Muse

i VOTE FOR sCROLL lOCK FOR MOST USELESS KEY!

Oh and the misuse of Caps Lock was unintentional... So it gets my vote for most annoying key
Old 8th January 2012, 10:39 AM   #4
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

It's because CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
Old 8th January 2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post

Oh and the misuse of Caps Lock was unintentional... So it gets my vote for most annoying key
Not at all. When you have a Dell laptop docked, and are using an external keyboard that doesn't have the "Function" key, how else are you supposed to press Func+F8 without Scroll Lock?
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 10:48 AM   #6
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post
Really? Why?

What (besides ransom notes and hundred year old telegrams) has ever been written regularly in all capital letters? It's considered shouting on the Internet, it's very annoying when you're playing games, so why does the most useless key on the keyboard continue to exist?
To draft military messages.

ETA:And do Owen Meaney's voice.

Last edited by LSSBB; 8th January 2012 at 10:52 AM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post

After reading this post not only did I see where the scroll key was, I saw a strange key called "pause break".....
Old 8th January 2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

For soothing relief, remap Caps Lock to Control.
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 11:08 AM   #9
JJM 777
Illuminator

What (...) has ever been written regularly in all capital letters?
Titles of books, especially when designing the book cover itself.

Possibly anything created by an artistic designer, which contains any text.

Besides, if you are writing with one finger or one hand only, it is handy that pressing Shift and the letter can be done as a sequence rather than simultaneously.

A good key, long live Caps Lock, and indeed it will.
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 11:09 AM   #10
Wudang
BOFH

I use it regularly. Most of the code I write which processes text doesn't care which case the text is in, so by convention we fold all text to upper case. It also helps text literals stand out. And you wouldn't believe how often I have to write documents with lots of upper case acronyms.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Dessi
Species Traitor

CAPLOCK exists so you can remap it to Ctrl, without which emacs would never be usable.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

With a little practice you'll find you can type cap words two-handed by keeping your left pinky on the Shift.
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 11:17 AM   #13
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Dessi View Post
CAPLOCK exists so you can remap it to Ctrl, without which emacs would never be usable.
Plan b: vi
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 11:30 AM   #14
jt512
Muse

Originally Posted by Dessi View Post

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Plan b: vi

Then you need to remap it to ESC.
jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 11:34 AM   #15
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jt512 View Post
Then you need to remap it to ESC.
If you are truly evil then you will remap it (without the owner of the computer realizing it of course) to the period.

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 11:36 AM   #16
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe

Many people who make speeches like their speeches written in all caps.

Some acronyms (NATO, for example) would be annoying, if not difficult, to type without the "Caps Lock" key.

My vote for most annoying key is the "Overwrite/Insert" key, especially on badly designed keyboards where it's located next to a frequently used key, like "Delete".

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 11:36 AM   #17
George152
Master Poster

Really? Why?

Mainly so we can identify kooks by their 'shouting their truths from the roof tops'
On that alone the CAPS lock performs sterling service
Old 8th January 2012, 11:37 AM   #18
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Caps lock is absolutely essential to the FOTL conspiracy theory.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 11:58 AM   #19
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
Some acronyms (NATO, for example) would be annoying, if not difficult, to type without the "Caps Lock" key.
That's not been my experience. I can type it perfectly fine (and quicker) using pinky-on-Shift. Maybe it's because my default hand position has evolved to be more relaxed and flexible.
Old 8th January 2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Tanja
Comfortably Numb

Really? Why?

Protesting against seldom used keybord functions...that's very rich coming from somebody called Alt+F4
Tanja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 12:14 PM   #21
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

I use it during property inventory to type in bunches of serial numbers and property numbers that have numbers and capital letters. I would have a pretty sore pinky if I had to hold down the shift key all day...
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 12:32 PM   #22
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
Protesting against seldom used keybord functions...that's very rich coming from somebody called Alt+F4
Yeah, but I'm a deliberate operation, not an "oops" key which by some stroke of "genius" was placed right next to the A key!

I guess it would be too expensive to produce but it would be cool if each person could buy a custom-made keyboard with all the keys wherever they wanted them and of course not have keys they....distrust.

After Caps Lock, End is the next to go.
Old 8th January 2012, 12:35 PM   #23
scratchy
Muse

First thing i allways do when i get a new laptop, i use my knife to get rid of the caps lock key. Same thing with the insert key if it is in a bad position, like next to the space key.
scratchy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 01:01 PM   #24
jt512
Muse

Originally Posted by scratchy View Post
First thing i allways do when i get a new laptop, i use my knife to get rid of the caps lock key. Same thing with the insert key if it is in a bad position, like next to the space key.
That's probably the best solution under Windows.
jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 01:04 PM   #25
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

First thing I do when I get a laptop (new or otherwise) is plug a proper USB keyboard into it.

I write some shell scripts (bash is my shell of choice) and SQL queries. By convention, variables in bash are in uppercase, while in SQL the field names are lowercase and the SQL keywords are uppercase.

Although Caps Lock does get a lot less use than other little used keys such as Scroll Lock, '|', or (for some people, who overuse it) the apostrophe
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 01:08 PM   #26
jt512
Muse

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Although Caps Lock does get a lot less use than other little used keys such as Scroll Lock, '|', or (for some people, who overuse it) the apostrophe
Since when is the apostrophe key little used?
Old 8th January 2012, 01:09 PM   #27
thenigotoffthebus
Scholar

It gets used widely in industry. Lots of things are easier to read all in caps. Part numbers, serial numbers, expiry codes etc. At my place of work some work stations are only used to make parts labels & test certificates. On these machines caps lock is on constantly. The labels & certificates would just look weird in lower case.
thenigotoffthebus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 01:18 PM   #28
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Originally Posted by Wudang
I use it regularly. Most of the code I write which processes text doesn't care which case the text is in, so by convention we fold all text to upper case. It also helps text literals stand out. And you wouldn't believe how often I have to write documents with lots of upper case acronyms.
Why why?! Uppercase text is harder to read. You can use the editor's coloring facilities to get literals to stand out.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 01:46 PM   #29
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe

After Caps Lock, End is the next to go.
Nooooo! "Home" and "End" are two of my favorite keys. You must not do a lot of writing and editing (prose, as opposed to programs.)

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 01:48 PM   #30
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

For COBOL programming.

Yes.
Old 8th January 2012, 01:48 PM   #31
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
Nooooo! "Home" and "End" are two of my favorite keys. You must not do a lot of writing and editing (prose, as opposed to programs.)
I also use Home and End very frequently, and do so also while programming. I hate, in fact, that those keys are so distant on my laptop, whereas they're reachable from touch-typing position on my normal keyboard.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 02:00 PM   #32
mummymonkey
Did you spill my pint?

Used at work all the time for entering data. Serial numbers, postcodes and the like.
Old 8th January 2012, 02:11 PM   #33
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

Terry Pratchett may need it every so often.
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 09:21 PM   #34
Kopji

Yeah, is part of IBM's 'Jobs for Lazy Programmers' business initiative.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 09:38 PM   #35
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Really?
Really seriously seriously really seriously really.

Quote:
Why?
Because there is still the occasional use for it and it isn't worth the extra $ it would take to redesign/re-manufacture a different one.

Quote:
It's considered shouting on the Internet, it's very annoying when you're playing games, so why does the most useless key on the keyboard continue to exist?
Shockingly, some people use computers for a lot more than playing games or chattering on the internet.

That said, I agree it's need is infrequent for most, but as you can see handy for some. Besides the same can be said for various "useless" keys on a keyboard....

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
To draft military messages.
Only if you're time warping back into the 1980s or earlier. OCR is dead FYI.

Last edited by bigred; 8th January 2012 at 09:43 PM.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 09:41 PM   #36
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
For COBOL programming.

Yes.
COBOL is still around? Wow
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 09:58 PM   #37
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by jt512 View Post
That's probably the best solution under Windows.
There was a whole thread on that a few months ago:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=211275
Old 8th January 2012, 10:28 PM   #38
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Really seriously seriously really seriously really.

Because there is still the occasional use for it and it isn't worth the extra $ it would take to redesign/re-manufacture a different one.

Shockingly, some people use computers for a lot more than playing games or chattering on the internet.

That said, I agree it's need is infrequent for most, but as you can see handy for some. Besides the same can be said for various "useless" keys on a keyboard....

Only if you're time warping back into the 1980s or earlier. OCR is dead FYI.
The navy apparently dropped OCR in 1995 for enlisted evaluation forms so I'm guessing that the OCR radio message formatting ended at some time after that although for commands without email that can rely only upon radio messages (submarines at sea for example) the old formatting still hangs around. That's a guess on my part though.

About my avatar.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:48 PM   #39
bjornart
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Lord Emsworth View Post
Terry Pratchett may need it every so often.
Nah, he just formats those sentences or paragraphs to small caps. If he doesn't, he should.
Old 9th January 2012, 06:18 AM   #40
Stray Cat
Philosopher

The key I use least often is the one that switches my computer off.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet