IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags congressional candidates , Connecticut politics , drbuzz0 , Steve packard

Old 17th January 2012, 10:43 PM   #1
TsarBomba
One Damn Dirty Ape

Former Forumite Running For Congress

A former member of our noble forumite ranks, Dr. Buzzo, aka Steve Packard, is apparently seeking the Republican nomination for the United States House Of Representatives for Connecticut's 3rd Congressional District.

The extremely detailed campaign biography is one of the most idiosyncratic things I have ever read.

His take on the issues is also . . . idiosyncratic.

In fact, the entire thing is . . . idiosyncratic.

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 23rd June 2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add prefix
TsarBomba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

His smile is... creepy...
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Normal Dude
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I had forgotten all about him!

And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT -Rwalsh
Normal Dude is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Jrrarglblarg

The red dot whirling 'round his name iconographically suggests he's a nuclear mutant. Is this true? Or is it false advertising?
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2012, 11:06 PM   #5
TsarBomba
One Damn Dirty Ape

A Buzzo term of office would certainly be entertaining.
Old 17th January 2012, 11:09 PM   #6
TsarBomba
One Damn Dirty Ape

At least he's against SOPA.
Old 17th January 2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Cain
Straussian

Sad how someone's prejudged on their appearance. Big deal, he smiles like a child molester.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 12:07 AM   #8
Jrrarglblarg

I really don't care if he's a child molester, as long as he's a nuclear mutant. I'll vote for the nuclear mutant every time. Especially if they support the development of Orbital Death Ray technology. Because that's good for jobs.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 12:35 AM   #9
Cain
Straussian

Good point.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 02:23 AM   #10
Antiquehunter
Degenerate Gambler

Well, at least he's not a religious dingbat. (Not sure about his dingbat status in other areas). Since he's not religious, I suspect he doesn't have a hope in hell.

There could be other reasons why I suspect this won't come to fruition.
Old 18th January 2012, 02:25 AM   #11
Antiquehunter
Degenerate Gambler

I just read that he likes spaghetti. So hell, I'd vote for him.
Old 18th January 2012, 04:49 AM   #12
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TsarBomba View Post
At least he's against SOPA.
but is he for SOAP?

I want a clean rep.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:35 AM   #13
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Old 18th January 2012, 07:01 AM   #14
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

"Steve attended the University of Hartford, majoring in computer science, but did not complete the degree."

Wait, he's not really a doctor?

Last edited by WildCat; 18th January 2012 at 07:08 AM.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 07:25 AM   #15
Antiquehunter
Degenerate Gambler

I'm comforted to know that my Congressman could also fix my computer. Just sayin'.
Old 18th January 2012, 07:32 AM   #16
The Mutha
thoroughly confused, but valiantly trying...

I predict (keeping in mind the MDC) that should he be elected, he would shortly be embroiled in a major sex scandal of some kind. Given his actions with that camera at TAM last year and the fact that he was slobbering after The Dolly after knowing her about ten minutes...
The Mutha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 08:18 AM   #17
Mooseman
Thinker

I'm in Ct 2nd, so I can't vote for him, but I don;t think he has a chance anyway.
Mooseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

Don't remember him, so I'll have to look him up. Still working on the website.

Dude, please. Change the photo.
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 08:59 AM   #19
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by The Mutha View Post
I predict (keeping in mind the MDC) that should he be elected, he would shortly be embroiled in a major sex scandal of some kind. Given his actions with that camera at TAM last year and the fact that he was slobbering after The Dolly after knowing her about ten minutes...
Oh yeah, he's a P-hound. He was banned almost four years ago for unremitting creepyness. (At least as far as I can tell. I wasn't a mod then.) And while I don't think a person's private sex life should be the principal reason for voting for someone... well... his "ick factor" is too high for my taste.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 09:00 AM   #20
Almo
Masterblazer

Wish I could find his old forum avatar. Funny he used an element from it in his congressional logo.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 09:06 AM   #21
Alareth
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
His smile is... creepy...
Creepy is something he is very good at.
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 11:07 AM   #22
bookitty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Oh yeah, he's a P-hound. He was banned almost four years ago for unremitting creepyness. (At least as far as I can tell. I wasn't a mod then.) And while I don't think a person's private sex life should be the principal reason for voting for someone... well... his "ick factor" is too high for my taste.
He's creeptatsic! One of those guys who thinks the fem hive-mind is artificially resistant and that women will give up some sweet sweet semi-consensual sugar if he can only find the right string of words.

Also, one of those people who describes himself as "A Skeptic" loudly and often but can never, ever, ever be wrong about even minutia.

I'd watch footage of his campaigning attempts, the comedy potential is enormous!
Old 18th January 2012, 11:17 AM   #23
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I thought he was OK until I learned about the things I didn't see here...
Old 18th January 2012, 11:25 AM   #24
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Quote:
His favorite food is spaghetti.
A subtle hint that he is a follower of the FSM?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 11:27 AM   #25
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by bookitty View Post
He's creeptatsic! One of those guys who thinks the fem hive-mind is artificially resistant and that women will give up some sweet sweet semi-consensual sugar if he can only find the right string of words.

Also, one of those people who describes himself as "A Skeptic" loudly and often but can never, ever, ever be wrong about even minutia.

I'd watch footage of his campaigning attempts, the comedy potential is enormous!
He can be our very own Basil Marceaux.
Old 18th January 2012, 11:39 AM   #26
bookitty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
He can be our very own Basil Marceaux.
I was sadly unaware of Mr. Marceaux. Dude is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hvaeHllwtw
Old 18th January 2012, 11:45 AM   #27
Antiquehunter
Degenerate Gambler

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
A subtle hint that he is a follower of the FSM?
Perhaps - although in my dealings with him, he's always been pretty blunt.
Old 18th January 2012, 11:51 AM   #28
ravdin
Illuminator

If elected, he would definitely improve the overall caliber of individuals currently serving in Congress.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 11:55 AM   #29
Number Six
JREF Kid

He's a Republican in Connecticut. He doesn't have a chance of getting elected to the House of Representatives.

And I was expecting a really creepy smile after reading some posts but it doesn't look that bad to me.
Number Six is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 12:05 PM   #30
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Antiquehunter View Post
I'm comforted to know that my Congressman could also fix my computer. Just sayin'.
This would actually give me a little bit of comfort. The people in Congress today are too ignorant of the technology in our world for my tastes.
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 12:16 PM   #31
Lisa Simpson

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
He was banned for threatening a DDoS against me (along with unremitting creepiness).
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 12:19 PM   #32
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
He was banned for threatening a DDoS against me (along with unremitting creepiness).
I wonder if he'll include "everyone who disagrees with me should be dead" among his position statements.
Old 18th January 2012, 12:19 PM   #33
sinclairmcevoy
Philosopher

His smile strikes me as more artificial than creepy. Plus, I saw a spelling mistake.
Definitely won't be getting my vote, I don't live in the USA.
Old 18th January 2012, 12:22 PM   #34
The Mutha

Damn it! I wish I could remember what I said to Dr. Buzzo that made Cleon about fall out of his chair laughing... An aged brain is a sad thing, and all that.
The Mutha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 12:32 PM   #35
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Damn it! I wish I could remember what I said to Dr. Buzzo that made Cleon about fall out of his chair laughing... An aged brain is a sad thing, and all that.
I'm trying to remember...There was so much that night that was hilarious. the look on Dolly's face as Buzzo ineptly hit on her was positively epic.

The part that sticks in my mind is when my gf encountered him for the first time. He was pontificating about how he couldn't be a leader of the skeptical movement due to a prior arrest (I forget what for, something minor). My GF just looked at him and deadpanned, "I don't think that's the only reason you can't be a leader of the skeptical movement."
Old 18th January 2012, 01:14 PM   #36
The Mutha

Mozelle reminded me. "Do you want to be?" in response to him saying that he'd never been tased... And it was Mozelle who said that to him, not me. I think that was shortly after he asked her if she wanted to get married while in Vegas.
Old 18th January 2012, 01:20 PM   #37
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Mozelle reminded me. "Do you want to be?" in response to him saying that he'd never been tased... And it was Mozelle who said that to him, not me. I think that was shortly after he asked her if she wanted to get married while in Vegas.
YES! OMG, I can't believe I'd forgotten that.
Old 18th January 2012, 01:23 PM   #38
Antiquehunter
Degenerate Gambler

How does this actually work, from a logistics perspective. I mean, a random person can't just roll up and ask to run for Congress, representing one of the two major parties, can they?

Surely there is some local level politicking and vetting that takes place? Based on how he behaves in public, and with a group of people that are by and large, pretty innocuous, I'm just wondering how the GOP could decide he's the best man to run for this seat?

<whistles a song by Slim Pickens>
Old 18th January 2012, 01:53 PM   #39
Dunstan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Antiquehunter View Post
How does this actually work, from a logistics perspective. I mean, a random person can't just roll up and ask to run for Congress, representing one of the two major parties, can they?
You pretty much can. The process varies a little by state, but it's much more open in general than in Canada, where the parties have pretty tight internal control over nominations.

I don't know what the filing requirements are in CT, but probably not more than paying a filing fee and maybe a certain number of signatures.

Obviously there's a big difference between getting your name on a primary ballot and actually getting the nomination, or even being considered a serious threat to the incumbent or party establishment favorite.

For example, anti-abortion nutjob Randall Terry is on the ballot in Florida for the Democratic presidential nomination. (Yes, you read that right.) I don't think Obama's too worried.

Quote:
Surely there is some local level politicking and vetting that takes place? Based on how he behaves in public, and with a group of people that are by and large, pretty innocuous, I'm just wondering how the GOP could decide he's the best man to run for this seat?

<whistles a song by Slim Pickens>
The GOP hasn't decided anything of the kind yet. He's only seeking the nomination.
Dunstan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2012, 02:07 PM   #40
kajata
Illuminator

How can a resident from the planet Mars run for U.S. congress?
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics