JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 19th January 2012, 02:28 PM   #201
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
Dave, we have talked before, just you wait, when dafydd retires I will talk to you in earnest and hope you can understand my speech and writing.

Gerry
I am retired, on a pension. Why should we call the god delusion a 'concept'? And Dave will not fall for whichever gotcha! that you are aiming for this time. The clue is in the word 'godless'.

Last edited by dafydd; 19th January 2012 at 02:33 PM.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 02:29 PM   #202
dafydd
Banned

Dave, we have talked before, just you wait, when dafydd retires I will talk to you in earnest and hope you can understand my speech and writing.

Gerry
You do realize that he tore your post to shreds?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 02:30 PM   #203
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Seeking agreement with atheists instead of disagreement to resolve the God debate.
It's simple; once you accept the non-existence of a god, atheists will agree with you. While you continue to push the god botherer line they will not agree, on that subject/.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 02:33 PM   #204
dafydd
Banned

Yrreg, just agree that god does not exist and we are done here.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:35 PM   #205
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

About the multiverse, since we are not living there and we have no access whatever there, and it does not have access to us,
Will you be providing evidence for this assertion? Many physicists would like a definitive answer to the question of the existence of other universes.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 02:36 PM   #206
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Will you be providing evidence for this assertion? Many physicists would like a definitive answer to the question of the existence of other universes.
You must know Yrreg by now. He doesn't do evidence.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:38 PM   #207
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AvalonXQ View Post
You need to distinguish between "a concept of a unicorn" and "a unicorn".

The former exists; the latter does not.
Not yet.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:40 PM   #208
dafydd
Banned

Wrong thread?
Old 19th January 2012, 02:40 PM   #209
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Why do so many religious types start threads then complain that people are responding to them?
It's not that we're responding but thay we're responding wrong.
When a god botherer starts a thread like this he (and it always seems to be a he) tends to have it all planned out, including the responses they expect from non-believers and the counters to those responses. When we deviate from their imaginary script it annoys them.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:42 PM   #210
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Can we all Atheists agree that Yrreg doesn't have a clue what he's talking about?
Well I agree; unlike Yrreg I don't attempt to speak for everyone else.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:42 PM   #211
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
It's not that we're responding but thay we're responding wrong.
When a god botherer starts a thread like this he (and it always seems to be a he) tends to have it all planned out, including the responses they expect from non-believers and the counters to those responses. When we deviate from their imaginary script it annoys them.
The fact that no believers are joining in speaks volumes. Come on, you lurking theists, join in. Your fellow Christian is in dire need of help.

Last edited by dafydd; 19th January 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:53 PM   #212
yrreg
Master Poster

Well. dafydd, if you just want to obstruct any viable communication with me, you will insist that there is no information at all that you care to talk with me about, in regard to the concept of God in the Christian faith.

I will just ask you to look up any reference work like an almanac and look up the Christian faith, as I am sure there is information about the concept of God in the Christian faith, and then if you care we can talk about the information in public reference works where there is an entry on the Christian faith or Christianity.

Otherwise I can see clearly that it is impossible to have any viable communication with you on the topic of this thread at all.

Gerry
yrreg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 02:55 PM   #213
dafydd
Banned

Well. dafydd, if you just want to obstruct any viable communication with me, you will insist that there is no information at all that you care to talk with me about, in regard to the concept of God in the Christian faith.

I will just ask you to look up any reference work like an almanac and look up the Christian faith, as I am sure there is information about the concept of God in the Christian faith, and then if you care we can talk about the information in public reference works where there is an entry on the Christian faith or Christianity.

Otherwise I can see clearly that it is impossible to have any viable communication with you on the topic of this thread at all.

Gerry
Present some of this information here then we can discuss it. Do you know what an almanac is?

''An almanac (also spelled almanack and almanach) is an annual publication that includes information such as weather forecasts, farmers' planting dates, tide tables, and tabular information in a particular field or fields often arranged according to the calendar etc. Astronomical data and various statistics are also found in almanacs, such as the times of the rising and setting of the sun and moon, eclipses, hours of full tide, stated festivals of churches, terms of courts, lists of all types, timelines, and more.''

Why would an almanac be relevant? I presume you meant an encyclopedia.

''Christianity, Christ as Ruler, with the Apostles and Evangelists (represented by the beasts). The female figures … [Credit: De Antonis]major religion, stemming from the life, teachings, and death of Jesus of Nazareth (the Christ, or the Anointed One of God) in the 1st century ad. It has become the largest of the world’s religions. Geographically the most widely diffused of all faiths, it has a constituency of more than 2 billion believers. Its largest groups are the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox churches, and the Protestant churches; in addition to these churches there are several independent churches of Eastern Christianity as well as numerous sects throughout the world. See also Eastern Orthodoxy; Roman Catholicism; ... '' The Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Last edited by dafydd; 19th January 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:06 PM   #214
yrreg
Master Poster

Will I just agree with atheists that God does not exist and the conversation will be over?

Well, we are not into agreement on what is already controversial to some people for example that God exists, I am trying to come to agreement with atheists on things which are already obviously existing like you and me and the universe.

If people will not agree with me that we exist people and myself, and the universe exists, then this forum should be no venue for them to be in.

Now, from the fact of the existence of us humans and the existence of the universe where we are living in, I am trying to get atheists to agree with me or they to make me agree with them on the contents of the universe.

No, I am not into coming to agreement with atheists about God not existing or God existing, but into agreement on things that humans already know to exist in actual objective reality.

However, and forgive me, from what we agree to exist on actual objective reality, then the road is clear we can see to the controversial issue of the question whether God does exist, or in fact does not exist.

Again, and the sight at the end of the tunnel is that God does not exist or God exists in actual objective reality.

-----------------

Now, if atheists here will insist that for them there is no God, period.

Well, then they have to only declare so, and not anymore talk with me, and perhaps to tell me to just get out from their forum, and period.

Gerry
yrreg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 03:09 PM   #215
yrreg
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Present some of this information here then we can discuss it. Do you know what an almanac is?

''An almanac (also spelled almanack and almanach) is an annual publication that includes information such as weather forecasts, farmers' planting dates, tide tables, and tabular information in a particular field or fields often arranged according to the calendar etc. Astronomical data and various statistics are also found in almanacs, such as the times of the rising and setting of the sun and moon, eclipses, hours of full tide, stated festivals of churches, terms of courts, lists of all types, timelines, and more.''

Why would an almanac be relevant? I presume you meant an encyclopedia.

''Christianity, Christ as Ruler, with the Apostles and Evangelists (represented by the beasts). The female figures … [Credit: De Antonis]major religion, stemming from the life, teachings, and death of Jesus of Nazareth (the Christ, or the Anointed One of God) in the 1st century ad. It has become the largest of the world’s religions. Geographically the most widely diffused of all faiths, it has a constituency of more than 2 billion believers. Its largest groups are the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox churches, and the Protestant churches; in addition to these churches there are several independent churches of Eastern Christianity as well as numerous sects throughout the world. See also Eastern Orthodoxy; Roman Catholicism; ... '' The Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Thanks, dafydd, you are still around.

Look up a reference work where it has a mention of God in Christianity.

I will also look up one.

Gerry
Old 19th January 2012, 03:14 PM   #216
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

What exactly do you think 'atheist' means?

Quote:
Well, then they have to only declare so, and not anymore talk with me, and perhaps to tell me to just get out from their forum, and period.
This is not an atheist forum.

Do you not see the insanity in asking atheists to agree with you about the existence of god? What do you hope to achieve?

nikretooz
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 03:19 PM   #217
jond
Graduate Poster

Yyreg, everyone here agrees that the concept of "god" exists. over the years thousands of "god" concepts have been thought up, including but by no means limited to your christian concept. But, much like unicorns, fairies, and invisible dragons: there is no evidence for any of these things. So, like Bacchus, xenu, or Zeus, most of us simply do not believe that your christian "god" exists. why is this so hard for you to understand?
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 03:19 PM   #218
yrreg
Master Poster

I am not asking that atheists agree with me that God exists.

I am asking atheists to agree with me on things which are generally known to mankind to exist, for example, we humans and the universe.

Gerry
Old 19th January 2012, 03:21 PM   #219
dafydd
Banned

Will I just agree with atheists that God does not exist and the conversation will be over?
Yes

Quote:
Well, we are not into agreement on what is already controversial to some people for example that God exists, I am trying to come to agreement with atheists on things which are already obviously existing like you and me and the universe.
There is no argument about this. Both you and I and the universe exist. I have no idea why you keep bringing this up'

Quote:
If people will not agree with me that we exist people and myself, and the universe exists, then this forum should be no venue for them to be in.
Nobody is saying that you and the universe do not exist. Once again. I have no idea why you say that.

Quote:
However, and forgive me, from what we agree to exist on actual objective reality, then the road is clear we can see to the controversial issue of the question whether God does exist, or in fact does not exist.
The question of whether any god does exist is a matter of faith.

Quote:
Again, and the sight at the end of the tunnel is that God does not exist or God exists in actual objective reality.
The sight at the end of the tunnel is a big neon sign saying ' There is no evidence of the existence of any god'.

-----------------

Quote:

That's your decision. You will never convince any atheist here that any god exists. I find your posts amusing, that's why I'm carrying on. I have no idea why you are persisting.

Last edited by dafydd; 19th January 2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:23 PM   #220
dafydd
Banned

I am not asking that atheists agree with me that God exists.

I am asking atheists to agree with me on things which are generally known to mankind to exist, for example, we humans and the universe.

Gerry
How many times? We agree that humans and the universe exist.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:27 PM   #221
yrreg
Master Poster

And I am now exchanging thoughts with dafydd on what is the public nformation about the concept of God in the Christian faith in His God's fundamental relation to the universe.

I told dafydd that he could look up a reference work where there is mention of the concept of God in the Christian faith, and I will also do likewise.

Here is a public reference work on the Christian faith, the Apostles' Creed, and it has the following first line on what Christians believe about the concept of God and the existence of God:
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
http://www.creeds.net/ancient/apostles.htm

Gerry
Old 19th January 2012, 03:28 PM   #222
yrreg
Master Poster

Now, dafydd, we will work on agreeing what is evidence.

Gerry
Old 19th January 2012, 03:29 PM   #223
yrreg
Master Poster

Do we have any public and free information in the web on what is evidence?

Gerry
Old 19th January 2012, 03:31 PM   #224
yrreg
Master Poster

Sorry, I have to leave for a while, but I will also go look up any free public web information on what is evidence.

Gerry
Old 19th January 2012, 03:39 PM   #225
dafydd
Banned

And I am now exchanging thoughts with dafydd on what is the public nformation about the concept of God in the Christian faith in His God's fundamental relation to the universe.

I told dafydd that he could look up a reference work where there is mention of the concept of God in the Christian faith, and I will also do likewise.

Here is a public reference work on the Christian faith, the Apostles' Creed, and it has the following first line on what Christians believe about the concept of God and the existence of God:

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
http://www.creeds.net/ancient/apostles.htm

Gerry
A fairy tale.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:56 PM   #226
dafydd
Banned

Do we have any public and free information in the web on what is evidence?

Gerry
You don't know what evidence is? If you don't have any evidence then why do you believe in the existence of a god?
Old 19th January 2012, 04:08 PM   #227
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Sold!
Old 19th January 2012, 04:13 PM   #228
Complexity
The Woo Whisperer

Now, dafydd, he's your friend.

I hereby delegate you, to infinity and beyond, to interact with yrreg on my behalf.

(he makes buddha giggle)

- W. Somerset Maugham

"Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible; thought is merciless to privilege, established intuititions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."

- Bertrand Russell
Complexity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 04:29 PM   #229
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Complexity View Post

I hereby delegate you, to infinity and beyond, to interact with yrreg on my behalf.

(he makes buddha giggle)
Now I'm starting to believe in bad karma.
Old 19th January 2012, 04:35 PM   #230
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Thanks ctamblyn for your reply.

I will not waste our time over inconsequential questions.

I am talking about the universe is not just sub-atomic particles and physical forces and physical laws and laws of nature.

It is composed of human beings, of other animate beings and also inanimate things like the sun and the moon and the stars in the sky.

You don't need evidence to know that the universe is not just sub-atomic particles, etc., but in its actual status it is composed of human beings even though they human beings make up a minuscule portion of the universe, and also other animate beings: animals and plants, etc., and also inanimate things like the sun, the moon, the stars, etc. in the sky, in space.

Yes all such beings and things are ultimately composed you submit of sub-atomic particles, etc.

But sub-atomic particles do not a universe make unless they undergo processes by which human beings come about and also etc. -- as I mention repeatedly.
I don't understand your suggestion that the universe would not be a universe if it did not produce humans. Even if humans did not exist, the universe would still meet the definition I adopted earlier.

Now, you want evidence for some being like God Who in the Christian faith is taken to be in His fundamental relation to the universe the creator of everything in the universe.

You demand evidence for His presence in the universe.

I agree with you.
Well, actually you started this thread. I'm not demanding anything, I'm just mildly curious as to where his is going...

But yes, it is fair to say that if you want to convince anyone here, you're probably going to need some evidence.

Would you care to agree with me that in the Christian faith the concept of God in His fundamental relation to the universe is that He is the creator of everything in the universe?

I mean you have that information of such a concept of God in the Christian faith in His fundamental relation to the universe, namely, creator of everything in the universe, not that you accept the reality of God to be the creator of everything in the universe.

Tell me in case you do not have the acquaintance of the concept of God in the Christian faith in His fundamental relation to the unverse...

What are your ideas of God?

I need your ideas of God so that we can work together to come to a concurring concept of God, and then we will look for God in the universe according to the concept we both agree to be accepted by us both insofar as the concept is concerned.
For the purposes of discussion, I'm happy to use your definition of "God".

Once, we have agreed on what concept of God we both agree on, then we will also work together to concur on what is evidence which you state you need to have to come to the existence of among other things God in the universe, this time the existence of, but in accordance with the concept we agree on -- when we have come to agree on the concept of God.

Gerry
OK, well as I said I'll use your definition of "God". I'll happily look at whatever evidence you've got, and tell you how convincing I find it.
Old 19th January 2012, 04:38 PM   #231
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Originally Posted by joolz View Post
Hmmm maybe ctamblyn IS god? Must have special powers at least as ctamblyn seems to the the only one yrreg will answer http://forums.randi.org/picture.php?...pictureid=5417

Or maybe the rest of us are invisible - neat - I've always wanted superpower!
Let's put it to the test...

*tries to turn Coke into Pepsi*

Nope.
Old 19th January 2012, 04:46 PM   #232
dafydd
Banned

Does Yrreg really think that there was no universe before there were humans?
Old 19th January 2012, 05:10 PM   #233
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Does Yrreg really think that there was no universe before there were humans?
I think it goes something like this:
  1. Time began.
  2. Humans appeared on the scene, and the universe became a proper universe.
  3. We know this by looking at our noses.
Old 19th January 2012, 05:11 PM   #234
devnull
Philosopher

Yrreg:

Your definition of the christian god is a little lacking. The christian god is not limited to merely creating the universe, but is said to have maintained some level of control over it. What you describe is more of a deist position.

For the sake of simplicity, why dont you move forward using the concept of a deist god? Or perhaps expand your definition of the christian god to include it's ability to directly affect the universe, impregnate virgins, send itself in human form, listen and react to prayer etc
Old 19th January 2012, 05:21 PM   #235
SezMe
post-pre-born

I'll argue that whether or not people exist depends on your point of view. If you are a sub-atomic particle, then we don't exist. There's a proton here and a electron over there but we're mostly just empty space. There certainly is no boundary between people and not-people. At most there is a particle density gradient.

If you are a galaxy 10 billion light years away, then there is no evidence at all that people exist. Or moons. Or planets. There's some photons coming from that direction but that's it.

But suppose you're just the right size to see this thing you call people. There still is no such thing as an individual person. There's a colony of living and non-living things there. A collective. A collaboration. But certainly not a single, individual organism.

So I disagree with your starting premise. Does that mean I can't post here any more?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 05:32 PM   #236
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

My daughter is calling me to breakfast, I will be back.

Gerry
Can we all agree that your daughter is calling you for breakfast or do we need first to agree on the definition of "breakfast" for us to agree on that?

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 05:49 PM   #237
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Complexity View Post

(he makes buddha giggle)

I approve of this message.

Go DAVID!!
tsig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 06:10 PM   #238
Kid Eager
Illuminator

yikes.... even my deja vu is having deja vu at this point. This is the part of the thread where yrreg redefines "evidence", if my memory serves me correctly.

However, as Daffyd as volunteered to be the interpreter, I yield the floor....
Old 19th January 2012, 06:24 PM   #239
Ray Brady
Muse

In a feeble attempt to move things forward, I'm going to offer a definition of "evidence". How's this:

Information that can be used to evaluate the validity of a claim.
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2012, 06:25 PM   #240
Complexity
The Woo Whisperer

Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Yrreg:

Your definition of the christian god is a little lacking. The christian god is not limited to merely creating the universe, but is said to have maintained some level of control over it. What you describe is more of a deist position.

For the sake of simplicity, why dont you move forward using the concept of a deist god? Or perhaps expand your definition of the christian god to include it's ability to directly affect the universe, impregnate virgins, send itself in human form, listen and react to prayer etc

Yrreg hasn't yet advanced to the concept of the 'buddha christ'. This is one of the main reasons he's had trouble being taken seriously.

'christ' is so much more acceptable if you can rub his belly for luck.

- W. Somerset Maugham

"Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible; thought is merciless to privilege, established intuititions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."

- Bertrand Russell
Complexity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy