JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 12th March 2012, 04:55 AM   #1
sphenisc
Illuminator

Fallacy of overspecificity?

In a statement like

"Black people commit a lot of crime."
or
"Atheists do lots of good works."
a property is ascribed to a specific group with the veiled implication that it is less true of a broader group to which they belong. Is there a formal name for this implied fallacy?

Cheers
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Krikkiter
Graduate Poster

I'm not sure but you may have used a fallacy just by asking that question. But I emphasise the part about me not being sure.
Krikkiter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2012, 05:30 AM   #3
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
In a statement like

or
a property is ascribed to a specific group with the veiled implication that it is less true of a broader group to which they belong. Is there a formal name for this implied fallacy?

Cheers
I don't know if either statement has enough explicit meaning to be a fallacy. But I would say these are statements with hidden agendas. Possibly.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2012, 05:49 AM   #4
sphenisc
Illuminator

This is the closest I can find - unfortunately I can't find any other references to "Fallacy of False Implication"

http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/ctlessons/lesson12.html
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2012, 06:03 AM   #5
azzthom
Muse

I think this may be what you mean:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2012, 06:13 AM   #6
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by azzthom View Post
I think this may be what you mean:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization
It's almost the exact opposite - hasty generalisation involves making a statement about a set possesses a property based on an insufficiently large subset. I'm talking about implying the larger set doesn't have the property ascribed to the subset. A hasty anti-generalisation.
Old 12th March 2012, 06:15 AM   #7
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

I don't think there is a fallacy there. And I am not sure there actually could be, since fallacies can only be made if there is reasoning involved, if there are conclusions to be drawn. But that is not the case here, because what you have shown are statements, which could be true or false though.

The only way for there to be a fallacy would be in a bigger context where the statements made, are used to *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* ... You would have to correctly identify the intention(s) behind the statements made.

Last edited by Lord Emsworth; 12th March 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2012, 06:20 AM   #8
azzthom
Muse

It's almost the exact opposite - hasty generalisation involves making a statement about a set possesses a property based on an insufficiently large subset. I'm talking about implying the larger set doesn't have the property ascribed to the subset. A hasty anti-generalisation.
The opposite fallacy is named on the page. It's called 'Slothful induction'.
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2012, 06:21 AM   #9
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Could be a combination of two fallacies.

It starts with the informal fallacy of one-sidedness, because they're presenting one side of the argument (eg, black people commit a lot of crime), while deliberately omitting the obvious counter-argument (eg, white people commit a lot of crime), and leaving it to the audience to use that skewed information to commit the fallacy of hasty generalization Volvo fallacy.

ETA: Volvo fallacy fits better than Hasty Generalization.

Last edited by Brian-M; 12th March 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2012, 06:47 AM   #10
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by azzthom View Post
The opposite fallacy is named on the page. It's called 'Slothful induction'.
Slothful induction is the failure to draw an appropriate conclusion when there is sufficient evidence. It's a different kind of "opposite".
Old 12th March 2012, 06:51 AM   #11
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lord Emsworth View Post
I don't think there is a fallacy there. And I am not sure there actually could be, since fallacies can only be made if there is reasoning involved, if there are conclusions to be drawn. But that is not the case here, because what you have shown are statements, which could be true or false though.

The only way for there to be a fallacy would be in a bigger context where the statements made, are used to *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* ... You would have to correctly identify the intention(s) behind the statements made.
That's what I meant by "veiled implication".
Old 12th March 2012, 07:01 AM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

In a statement like

or

Cheers
Your premise depends on context. And while there may be some fallacies involved it is 'framing' that you are talking about. That is, framing a statement to imply some additional unspoken thing or slanting the statement so as to have it heard a specific way.

For example, tax relief implies one needs relief from being over taxed while tax cut does not have that same implication. Teach the controversy (typically applied to evolution theory) implies there is a controversy.

In your examples, "black people commit a lot of crime", has stronger inherent framing, meaning it triggers many previously established beliefs. Atheists doing good works could be a reply to some claim morality comes from religion thus the triggered reaction depends more on context.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th March 2012 at 07:14 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2012, 07:09 AM   #13
azzthom
Muse

Based on all the replies so far, I think the best I can do is to suggest that what was described in the OP was 'hasty generalisation by implication'. Which would obviously still be 'hasty generalisation', since an inference is being drawn about a set based on a flawed assessment of a subset. A conclusion from insufficient evidence.

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal