JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 4th March 2012, 11:08 PM   #1
roxics
New Blood

Orbs

I'm skeptical about most paranormal topics but my girlfriend has told a story about seeing orbs in her friends room when she was a teenager. These little faint colored lights that danced around in the air but didn't light up anything around them.

I asked her about several details but it was so long ago she doesn't remember a lot, except to say that the room was pitch black, he friend woke her and asked her if she could see them, the single window in the room was blacked out and no other light sources.

About six months ago my buddy told me about a orb in his kitchen. He described it to me in much the same way she did, but he saw only one and the lights were on. He thought it was a bubble or something at first and put his finger under it to see it rise up before he could touch it. He figured the heat from his finger made it rise. But then it began to dance around.

I was about ready to blow off the story until he said he shot video of it on his smart phone. He showed me the video on his phone. I asked him if it was doctored at all and he said this was the raw video from the phone. I have to take his word for it but i have no reason to disbelieve him.

I was kind of shocked. I figured it was a little bubble like he described it would not show up on video, especially off and old android phone.

On video it was fairly easy to see at times. It looked like a little white light and did not move like a floating bubble.

I wasn't sure what to make of this video, his story or my girlfriends story about her sighting years ago.

Does anyone have any more info on this topic? Most internet searches result in paranormal sites that are already biased toward these things.

My buddy won't share or release the video. Not entirely sure why. Otherwise I'd link you too it. I've already advised him that he should share it with some people like some trusted skeptics.
roxics is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2012, 11:19 PM   #2
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

Not enough data
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2012, 11:20 PM   #3
philkensebben
Graduate Poster

Orbs are spirits of the recently departed, but look surprisingly like insects or dust on camera lenses simply as part of a collective afterworld practical joke on the living.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

I don't have enough information to comment on the personal anecdotes. Your girlfriend could be mistaken, her memory could be false, she could have dreamed it, etc. Your friend could be lying to wind you up, he could be mistaken, etc.

WRT the video, again it's hard to say anything without actually seeing it, but I've never seen a video of orbs which couldn't be explained by dust being caught in the light. They're an artefact generated by digital cameras when they capture light in a certain way.
Old 5th March 2012, 03:39 AM   #5
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Your friends reluctance to share what would, by your account, be a remarkable video is telling.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 03:53 AM   #6
SezMe
post-pre-born

Welcome to the forums, roxics. I suggest that your friend register here and explain in this thread why he won't post his video.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 05:10 AM   #7
paiute
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by roxics View Post

My buddy won't share or release the video. Not entirely sure why.
Really? I'm entirely sure why.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 05:25 AM   #8
Malfie Henpox
Banned

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
Really? I'm entirely sure why.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? It's possessed by the spirit of Vigo the Carpathian?
Malfie Henpox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 05:47 AM   #9
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Dust.
Old 5th March 2012, 06:37 AM   #10
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
WRT the video, again it's hard to say anything without actually seeing it, but I've never seen a video of orbs which couldn't be explained by dust being caught in the light. They're an artefact generated by digital cameras when they capture light in a certain way.
Digital cameras can "see" wavelengths of light that the human eye cannot. For instance, they can pick up the infrared signal from a remote control.

I'm not saying that's the explanation, but it's a possibility.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 08:41 AM   #11
roxics
New Blood

It's been months since I saw the video myself. I watched it twice and the last time was at a halloween party where he showed a couple people off his phone.

I shoot corporate video and local tv commercials for a living and he is a professional photographer. So the both of us know quit a bit about lens flares, dust, etc. It was neither of those. Dust would have been too small to show up this large and bright on a low res smartphone camera at 10+ feet away. It was in his kitchen here in Michigan, so I highly doubt it was a firefly. It didn't appear like any fireflies I've ever seen. it certainly wasn't a lens flare.

That said, we are human and we can be fooled ourselves. I would love to get my hands on the footage, adjust some levels and play around with it just to see how the footage bends.

The one thing I do remember about it is how it seemed to be emitting light, yet when it passed in front of a dark doorway it did not light up anything around it. When my girlfriend told me about the orbs she saw she said the same thing, they admit light but did not light up anything around them.

This does not make any sense to me. In order for either the human eye or a camera to pick them up, the light must be hitting the cones of the eye or the sensor of the camera. Thus is must also hit other objects in 3D space. That's how light works. It's not selective about what it bounces off of.

I'm sure if I had some time with the footage I would be able to determine that the orb was either reflecting light or not bright enough to light up anything in the surrounding area in an already lit room. At least precievably.

Last I talked to him he said he wanted to send the footage into Ghost Hunters for them to review. I cringed at that. That's when I told him he should send it into some type of skeptical society for analysis as well. But I get the feeling he wants to believe whatever he captured is something paranormal. But he's not raving about it left and right or motivated enough to send it anywhere. He seems fairly content just keeping it on his phone and showing it to people every so often when the subject comes up.

As for myself, I just want to know what it is, because it was peculiar enough to me I didn't know what to make of it.

My girlfriend is another story. She's told me about seeing ghosts and being lead to the remains of a dead person when she was a teenager. I love my girlfriend, but I know her teenage years were a little messy. She knows I don't really believe her stories. She's not even sure what to make of them herself now. Today she's a pretty adament atheist and skeptical about a lot of things. But she still believes what she saw was real back then. I'm still trying to figure out how someone can become skeptical and an atheist after seeing stuff like that and believing it was real. None of this is adding up for me.
roxics is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Stray Cat
Philosopher

I shoot corporate video and local tv commercials for a living and he is a professional photographer. So the both of us know quit a bit about lens flares, dust, etc. It was neither of those. Dust would have been too small to show up this large and bright on a low res smartphone camera at 10+ feet away. It was in his kitchen here in Michigan, so I highly doubt it was a firefly. It didn't appear like any fireflies I've ever seen. it certainly wasn't a lens flare.
That'll be because it wasn't 10+ feet away.

Of course, like others have already said, we can't make any firm conclusions based on your story. And as you've already started adding information to it (unless your friend has ten foot long arms), it's highly likely it will keep changing to rule out anyone's explanation.

Last edited by Stray Cat; 5th March 2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Typo fixed
Stray Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 09:17 AM   #13
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

None of this is adding up for me.

Good news! You're not alone!

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 09:35 AM   #14
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
That'll be because it wasn't 10+ feet away.

Of course, like others have already said, we can't make any firm conclusions based on your story. And as you've already started adding information to it (unless your friend has ten foot long arms), it's highly likely it will keep changing to rule out anyone's explanation.
I see you have another sealed envelope there, Stray Cat. Even though it's more than ten feet away from where I am sitting, I can 'see' what is written on the card inside.....

You don't believe me?
Old 5th March 2012, 09:42 AM   #15
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

That said, we are human and we can be fooled ourselves.
Congratulations. You have very likely solved both mysteries in one short sentence.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 09:43 AM   #16
GrandMasterFox
Graduate Poster

I asked him if it was doctored at all and he said this was the raw video from the phone. I have to take his word for it but i have no reason to disbelieve him.
Question:
Do you know of at least 1 person ever that fell for a practical joke?
Do you think they thought to themselves:
"Well, I have every reason to doubt that but I'll still believe for some reason"

or did you think too that they have no reason to doubt?

Also, if you'll search this place, you'll find previous threads about people who swore their friends would never do that only to present the images\videos and then being sent to links to apps for mobiles that you can download to prank your friends about ghosts...

My buddy won't share or release the video. Not entirely sure why.
He could win a fortune just by selling it to various tabloids and such, let alone win a nobel prize (or probably something similiar) yet he chooses not to?

Hang on while I'll consult a psychic to find out why
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 09:47 AM   #17
phunk
Master Poster

I don't have enough information to comment on the personal anecdotes. Your girlfriend could be mistaken, her memory could be false, she could have dreamed it, etc. Your friend could be lying to wind you up, he could be mistaken, etc.

Film cameras also. Especially with a built in flash that's near the lens.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 01:41 PM   #18
ufology
Master Poster

I know big orbs exist because I've seen one. I've also heard reports of small ones, but for those I'm sure someone here will suggest the possibility of fireflies ( if they already haven't ).
Old 5th March 2012, 01:51 PM   #19
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by ufology View Post
I know big orbs exist because I've seen one. I've also heard reports of small ones, but for those I'm sure someone here will suggest the possibility of fireflies ( if they already haven't ).

That wouldn't be the one that's already under discussion in the Moderated Continuation - UFOs: The Research, the Evidence thread, would it?

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 01:54 PM   #20
AdMan
Philosopher

WRT the video, again it's hard to say anything without actually seeing it, but I've never seen a video of orbs which couldn't be explained by dust being caught in the light.

Or by it being a hoax.
Old 5th March 2012, 02:25 PM   #21
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I know big orbs exist because I've seen one.
The sun?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 03:16 PM   #22
roxics
New Blood

Originally Posted by GrandMasterFox View Post
Question:
Do you know of at least 1 person ever that fell for a practical joke?
Do you think they thought to themselves:
"Well, I have every reason to doubt that but I'll still believe for some reason"

or did you think too that they have no reason to doubt?

Also, if you'll search this place, you'll find previous threads about people who swore their friends would never do that only to present the images\videos and then being sent to links to apps for mobiles that you can download to prank your friends about ghosts...

He could win a fortune just by selling it to various tabloids and such, let alone win a nobel prize (or probably something similiar) yet he chooses not to?

Hang on while I'll consult a psychic to find out why
I don't believe it was anything paranormal. But I also don't believe it was dust, lens flares or fireflies. I'm not sure what it was. The first thing I thought was whether it could be an app or a digital composite. Which is why I asked him if it was doctored. Although I know he doesn't do any video compositing himself. I believe him when he says it wasn't. He's not some teenage prankster. He's a forty something, married with two kids and a respectable professional. But like I said I don't believe it was super natural. I was looking for some other type of optical explanation. That's why I was hoping maybe you guys ran accross something like this before.

But I realize it's a long shot especially since I don't have the video to show. oh well, thanks for your feedback any.
Old 5th March 2012, 03:50 PM   #23
Brattus
Graduate Poster

I don't believe it was anything paranormal. But I also don't believe it was dust, lens flares or fireflies. I'm not sure what it was. The first thing I thought was whether it could be an app or a digital composite. Which is why I asked him if it was doctored. Although I know he doesn't do any video compositing himself. I believe him when he says it wasn't. He's not some teenage prankster. He's a forty something, married with two kids and a respectable professional. But like I said I don't believe it was super natural. I was looking for some other type of optical explanation. That's why I was hoping maybe you guys ran accross something like this before.

But I realize it's a long shot especially since I don't have the video to show. oh well, thanks for your feedback any.
Well I don't believe it either. BUT! My friends cousins next door neighbors 2nd wifes new husbands friends co workers dog groomer has seen a video just like you described.
How can anyone question evidence like that?
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 04:10 PM   #24
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Cameras under various conditions produce all sorts of artifacts, and they're almost always explicable if you seek an explanation in the right place. If you can't quite figure out what it is, but it only appears on certain cameras, I see no reason to suspect it of being anything but an artifact unless you have some compelling reason to believe otherwise.

I once posted the picture below on a thread here just as a joke during a debate with a wonderfully silly fellow who believed in orbs, shape-shifting paranormal yetis, and a few other rather strange things ("Historian," now banned, sadly for those of us who cannot resist low hanging fruit). He pronounced it a very good orb, and analyzed its spiritual meaning, declaring that it was a protective one, and that little Teddy need not worry.

teddy with orb.jpg

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 04:17 PM   #25
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

All I know is: that was no light show we saw this morning. I've seen every kind of combustion known to man, but this beats the hell out of me.
Old 5th March 2012, 04:20 PM   #26
AdMan
Philosopher

I managed to photograph orbs at TAM 8.

Old 5th March 2012, 04:24 PM   #27
steve s
Illuminator

It was neither of those. Dust would have been too small to show up this large and bright on a low res smartphone camera at 10+ feet away.
Dust appears as very large orbs because it is badly out of focus and it's much closer to the lens than the subject that you're focusing on.

Here's an example I found the other day while cruising a model railroading forum. Look at how big some of those orbs are. Those are all tiny specks of dust.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...p/IMG_5308.jpg

Steve S
Old 5th March 2012, 04:31 PM   #28
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

It's been months since I saw the video myself. I watched it twice and the last time was at a halloween party where he showed a couple people off his phone.
So your friend won't share that video ... except at parties and such. Yeah.

Quote:
I shoot corporate video and local tv commercials for a living and he is a professional photographer. So the both of us know quit a bit about lens flares, dust, etc. It was neither of those.
I'll bet you half a million $ it was.

Quote:
Dust would have been too small to show up this large and bright on a low res smartphone camera at 10+ feet away.
Is it a 3D camera? If not how can you have even an idea of the distance?

Quote:

It was in his kitchen here in Michigan, so I highly doubt it was a firefly. It didn't appear like any fireflies I've ever seen. it certainly wasn't a lens flare.
No, it was no doubt an orb. Orbs is a perfectly well-known and simple phenomenon that is caused by brightly lit particles that are out of focus because they are close to the lens. IF you really, really work with photography, you should know.

Orbs are most common on shots made with compact cameras (digital or not) with built-in flash. This is, obviously because this flash is close to the lens and will brightly illuminate small dust particles near the lens.

However, orbs can come under other conditions, too. You can even occasionally see orbs with yor own eyes.

Hans
Old 5th March 2012, 05:30 PM   #29
John Albert
Illuminator

It's out-of-focus dust until you show evidence to prove otherwise.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 05:33 PM   #30
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

John Albert and I have the same definition of orbs, what a coinkydink!
Audible Click is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 05:38 PM   #31
JimOfAllTrades
Thinker

Originally Posted by Audible Click View Post
John Albert and I have the same definition of orbs, what a coinkydink!
This could be something paranormal, I have the same definition as well!
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 05:56 PM   #32
SamWilkinson
New Blood

Does anyone know of any paranormal film, book, TV show or anything that existed before digital cameras which discussed orbs as a paranormal phenomenon?
SamWilkinson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2012, 06:51 PM   #33
steve s
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SamWilkinson View Post
Does anyone know of any paranormal film, book, TV show or anything that existed before digital cameras which discussed orbs as a paranormal phenomenon?
As someone else pointed out, orbs have nothing to do with it being a digital camera. A film camera will do the same thing. What causes it is the fact that the flash on cheap point-and-shoot cameras tends to be right next to the lens. This is why professional wedding photographers using a large bracket to hold the flash up away from the lens.

Steve S
Old 5th March 2012, 09:09 PM   #34
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps we should stay on topic. This thread is about orbs.

UFO photos can be discussed in a thread for that.

Hans
Old 6th March 2012, 12:11 AM   #35
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

I know big orbs exist because I've seen one.
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
The sun?
Yeah, that's what the scientists want you to think! But any old fool can look at the thing and plainly see it's flat like a pancake!
Old 6th March 2012, 07:46 AM   #36
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I dug a pond a few years ago and now am growing farm raised orbs.

pond with orbs.jpg

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2012, 08:14 AM   #37
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Perhaps we should stay on topic. This thread is about orbs.
Yeah, I really loved his song "Pretty Woman".
Old 6th March 2012, 02:42 PM   #38
roxics
New Blood

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post

Is it a 3D camera? If not how can you have even an idea of the distance?

I'm taking it on my friends word, as he saw it in person in 3D vision with his eyes. So unless he is lying to me, which I doubt but is a definite possibility, I have to assume it's not dust on a lens.

I know a lot of you are having fun poking at the situation with full skeptical bravado, that's cool. I'm not trying to convince anyone it's something out of this world. But I'm having fun as an experiment trying to figure out what it could be aside from dust, lens flares and other camera optic anomolies.
Old 6th March 2012, 02:56 PM   #39
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I know a lot of you are having fun poking at the situation with full skeptical bravado, that's cool. I'm not trying to convince anyone it's something out of this world. But I'm having fun as an experiment trying to figure out what it could be aside from dust, lens flares and other camera optic anomolies.
Not to be rude but what do you expect from a skeptic's forum regarding fifth-rate paranormal hokum like orbs?
Old 6th March 2012, 03:13 PM   #40
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Well, what do you suppose it could be? There's nothing that's currently known to behave in the way you describe, and you've dismissed any explanations offered. What's your hypothesis?

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal